The M50 Barrier Free Tolling Thread - Page 13 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-08-2008, 23:03   #181
Steve
Life is hard, deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkel View Post
If even a minority (who knows, perhaps 20% or 30%) would decide not to pay, the system would collapse.
This country needs more French truck drivers...
Advertisement
25-08-2008, 23:23   #182
spockety

Mod: DCU
Send a message via Yahoo to spockety
Quote:
If even a minority (who knows, perhaps 20% or 30%) would decide not to pay, the system would collapse.
A barrier free tolling system might collapse alright, but you can be pretty damn sure that to combat the "civil disobedience" (read: "multi-billion euro loss over 25 years") the government would re-instate toll barriers.

"We're sorry to have to do this, but it's a significant minority of criminal drivers who are forcing us to do this to the disadvantage of the ordinary decent commuter."
26-08-2008, 08:56   #183
markpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadder View Post
Would they have the manpower to ticket everyone?
It wouldn't require much manpower - I'm sure the billing system automatically issues the late payment notice, the extra fine and then sends a notice to the debt collection agency who will issue a summons and bring them to court. The courts would be the only choke point.
26-08-2008, 10:21   #184
Run_to_da_hills
Banned

Im sure these dissobedient truck drivers will be asked to have filthy number plates.
26-08-2008, 10:24   #185
Our man in Havana
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
It wouldn't require much manpower - I'm sure the billing system automatically issues the late payment notice, the extra fine and then sends a notice to the debt collection agency who will issue a summons and bring them to court. The courts would be the only choke point.
I doubt they will take anyone to court.
Advertisement
26-08-2008, 14:41   #186
kbannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond-007 View Post
It will never happen. Just the status quo will continue.
How long will it be before one of the papers does an FOI based report on how many people are avoiding the tolls and some politicians will jump on the bandwagon complaining about the unfairness of the new system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadder View Post
On the news tonight, the truckers spokesman was saying that truckers not going to pay the tolls, what would happen if everyone decided not to pay?

Would they have the manpower to ticket everyone?
NTR seem awful anxious about the changeover, bless them.
My guess is that this is going to be a fiasco to rival e-voting.
I do feel sorry for them
They are being forced to use the M50 as they come from the port. Then they pay the new tolls which don't include VAT and they lose the bulk discount that they negotiated with NTR.

Also remember some people don't have to pay tolls!
26-08-2008, 14:57   #187
cormie

I wanna be a trucker, I'm just a lil guy in my van
26-08-2008, 16:53   #188
Morlar
Closed Account

Quote:
I doubt they will take anyone to court.
I am not so sure - considering they do for non payers of londons congestion charge & the subsequent bumper fees I think they will. Debt collection agencies will not hesitate and the person being brought to court will pay the costs so it costs them (debt collection companies) nothing whatsoever.

Once the fees start piling up people will start to owe silly money in no time and it will result in court cases as there are some who simply wont be able to or will just refuse to pay in the hopes that it will go away.

I just noticed today this ;
http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0826/m50.html

'While it is legal for retailers to add a surcharge to the toll amount at the Payzone point of sale, the NRA has said this will not happen'

Considering shops routinely bump their commission on selling things like call credit -ie buy €5.00 call credit in some shops costs you €5.50 does anyone honestly think that if some scumbag shops can add increases to unavoidable items that they wont ? I think if they can then some will. My view on this is that it is the perfect example of rampant greed in Ireland at the moment.
26-08-2008, 19:53   #189
bigtime

Quote:
could not agree more, but remember they will have press releases stating near full compliance even if this did occur.

If only the ordinary people could come togeather they would overturn a lot of these scams.
Advertisement
26-08-2008, 20:00   #190
cormie

How can the ordinary people come together?
26-08-2008, 20:06   #191
Our man in Havana
Closed Account

By refusing to pay en mass. As said if enough refuse to pay the system will collapse in short order.
26-08-2008, 20:10   #192
bigtime

Quote:
Debt collection agencies have no legal powers to collect said debts. They won't get paid. The Norwegian government tried doing the same and it failed miserably.
true, the issue is between you and the toll people. Any debt collection agency is a third party and nothing whatsoever to do with the issue at hand.
26-08-2008, 20:10   #193
cormie

But they'll surely come after some and make an example of them and scare any rebels away?
26-08-2008, 20:12   #194
bigtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormie View Post
How can the ordinary people come together?
thats the thing. the hauliers have some sort of group already in the form of a union. Also they are in a situation where they have no choice but to rebel against this madness.
26-08-2008, 20:25   #195
Our man in Havana
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormie View Post
But they'll surely come after some and make an example of them and scare any rebels away?
Remember people rebelled against the poll tax in Britain? The system collapsed from all the non payers. In the end it was abolished.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion