Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library of The Nocturnal

Options
  • 13-06-2008 2:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭

Well we've covered late night TV, music and snacks. How many of ye read to try and get to sleep?
    I'm currently re-reading "The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy" because I want to read the entire Trilogy of Four. It's a great book for late night reading! :)
    So what are ye all reading at the mo to try and get sleepage? (Reading boards doesn't count :p)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Haven't read a book in a while before going to sleep, after starting to read "The Hurricane", it's about Rubin Carter (wikipedia him).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I read the backs of my eyelids. Generally I'm so tired I just fall straight off. However, been reading the driver theory test book as of late, test soon-ish.

been reading the driver theory test book as of late, test soon-ish.

Say that will put you asleep alright, I know it did for me all them months back.:D

Off topic: Use the mock tests on the Theory Test CD, that's my useful tip.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

S'what I am doing, I couldn't stand hearing

"WHAT DOES THIS SIGN MEAN" another 300 times, so i bought the book to learn from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I read A Clockwork Orange
    Over
    And Over
    Again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I love light reading at night, So it's usually either Terry Pratchett, or some comic books, Cable + Deadpool is a current favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Actually yeah there'd be a good few comics and manga in there
    ...Although the Manga I read may be described as odd.
    (MPD Psycho)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I'm currently re-reading "The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy" because I want to read the entire Trilogy of Four. It's a great book for late night reading! :)

Just saw this. There's 5 books in the Guide. It's a trilogy of Five! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

takola wrote: »

It can be pretty easy to forget about "Mostly Harmless" at times!

Personally, i always opt for more of a "story" at night. Pratchett is always great, just finished read "His Dark Materials" a few weeks ago.

I spent a while reading "A Scanner Darkly" and while it's an awesome book it can be depressing. Eh, David Gemmel is always a bit of fun....and Lee Child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Wouldn't be much of a reader, but I have been known to whip out a book or two in the small hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Right now i'm reading No Country For Old Men to compare with the film.. its a different experience but you kinda get to know the characters a lot more. Loved the film so the book is excellent, its like getting even more of the film :D

Proxy wrote: »
    Right now i'm reading No Country For Old Men to compare with the film.. its a different experience but you kinda get to know the characters a lot more. Loved the film so the book is excellent, its like getting even more of the film :D

That film contains the greatest sound in the history of cinema.

Love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Oh I never knew there was a 5th one! Must go find that. Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

im reading a harmless girly piece of fluff called "size 12 is not fat" read it before but still like the cheese

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Oh I never knew there was a 5th one! Must go find that. Thanks! :)

Be warned, Douglas Adams was famously in a very depressed state of mind when he wrote it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

There was a Bradford trilogy too that was several books over 3.
    The first book in the already legendary Bradford trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

SDooM wrote: »
    I love light reading at night, So it's usually either Terry Pratchett

That, right there, is the best late night reading.

Though if anyone wants to try Susan Sontag or Roland Barthes, be my guest... :o

Wouldn't be much of a reader, but I have been known to whip out a book or two in the small hours.

Whipping books in the early hours, whatever you're into man.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Love late night reading. Reading Margaret Atwood's The Robber Bride now.

Anything by her is :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

im reading a harmless girly piece of fluff called "size 12 is not fat" read it before but still like the cheese

:pac:

I've tried to stop reading those girly things. Now I stick to intellectual literature, like Glamour or Cosmo :rolleyes: Although I haven't got either for about 4 months so maybe I'm weaning myself off them.

I can't read horror/creepy stories at night cause I get far too freaked. A few years back, I read the Haunting Of Hill House by Shirley Jackson at about 1 in the morning. I cried myself to sleep I was ****ting it so much :pac:

• Advertisement

Alicat wrote: »
    :pac:
    I can't read horror/creepy stories at night cause I get far too freaked. A few years back, I read the Haunting Of Hill House by Shirley Jackson at about 1 in the morning. I cried myself to sleep I was ****ting it so much :pac:

ive read a few read a few freaky books at night.used to read the tennage r.l.stine books not the goosebumps theese ones acctually would freak me out.loved going to bed scared.

I always find whenever i read a decent horror book before i fall asleep i will always have awesome Hollywood style dreams. Cheap cinema!

yeah its so cool and if i was bothered by anything earlier my fear overtook it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

When I was 13 I read 'The Shining', sitting in the sunshine, by a pool in Majorca.....and it still scared the crap out of me :pac:

Ah yes, the Shining, my first real horror read and a decent intro to it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Steven King! Great for late night reading, Pratchett's cool too.

banjopaul wrote: »
    Steven King! Great for late night reading, Pratchett's cool too.

ooh stepehen king...never read any of his work but saw some filims.they any use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I usually go with Pratchett too, I'm rereading Thud! at the minute (the City Watch ones have always been my favourites :))

Quite a lot of nocturnals seem to be Pratchett fans from this thread.

People staying up all night reading fantasy books and posting on the internet, geeky-stereotypes ftw! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

ooh stepehen king...never read any of his work but saw some filims.they any use?

Of his films I've only seen Carrie and It, both good and freaky! Also the tv mini series of the stand is deadly, can't beat the books though!

• Advertisement

banjopaul wrote: »
    Of his films I've only seen Carrie and It, both good and freaky! Also the tv mini series of the stand is deadly, can't beat the books though!

ah ill have to give them a bash

orestes once the people in the real world dont find out were all safe

Advertisement