Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 770 Wiki

Options
  • 01-08-2007 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

Just kicking off a thread for the many people who bought the Nokia 770, so we can discuss and show what can be done with this gadget.

The background for this thread can be found here

So, who has the first story to tell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Well, mine is broken. White screen of death. Spoke to expansys, hoping they'll replace it and not take an age to do so. Pah..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Currently Installed/Recommended Apps:
    visit maemo.org for all links etc

ebook reader: FB reader (Essential! Primary reason for purchase)
    Note taking app: Xournal (Save a tree already)
    Mapping: MaemoMapper (use as GPS with BT GPS receiver and Bluetooth plugin from maemo.org)
    Theme: LCARS Interface Theme (have to do it....)
    Games: MaemoDrac (Solitare)
    CrazyParking
    BattleGweled (Bejeweled Clone)
    Maemo Blocks (tetris Clone)
    Music Player: mPlayer + UKMP+UKTUBE (nice interface etc)

Whats on your 770?

/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,501 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Canola
    FBReader
    Gizmo
    Sokoban
    Sudoku
    VNC Viewer
    X Terminal
    MaemoPad+
    Maemo Mapper
    MPlayer
    Kismet
    Pidgin

That's it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 paddypaws

Installed Gizmo (Project for the Nokia 770 I. Mobile VoIP) on my home machine last night and was able to ring the landline but not the mobile..Looks like mobile calls are not supported in Ireland.

gizmo_screenshot_3.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Paddy is that all free? Like installing it and ringing? They don't charge the person youre calling do they?

Cheers... I don't know much about VOIP :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

You buy credit to use Gizmo - a bit like a pre-paid mobile. They give you 25 cents free though to start you off :p. The price per call should be a lot less than an equivalent call with a mobile.

It's one of those applications I installed and then un-installed. IIRC I could connect to a landline and while I could hear the person answering they couldn't hear me :( .

you could try mobile.Jajah.com. Browse to their site on the 770, enter the first phone number (your landline/mobile etc) and the second number (who you want to call). Your number will ring, followed by your parties number. It's another pay per minute deal, but the rates are pretty good for landlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Just got my unit yesterday. Pretty happy with it so far.
    24 hour clock would be nice, but apparently no can do :(

My main aim is to get Real Media playing on the unit.
    I want to be able to view RTÉ & BBC Streams!

Anyone know of a player that definately does it? I've searched high and low

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Emerson wrote:
    Just got my unit yesterday. Pretty happy with it so far.
    24 hour clock would be nice, but apparently no can do :(

The 770 definitely supports real audio (.ra) files.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

anyone having trouble using the paste function? Also there seems to be only one nokia listing is the catalogue, from reading other threads though there were two? I'd be grateful if someone could list the two nokia entries so I can install the missing one

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement

Tony wrote:
    if someone could list the two nokia entries so I can install the missing one
    http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/certified/
    mistral
    user

http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/non-certified/
    mistral
    user

Emerson wrote:

Post here if you find one. I just assumed that it doesn't support the file types that RTE use :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Thanks for the help

DeepBlue wrote:
    http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/certified/
    mistral
    user

http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/non-certified/
    mistral
    user

Post here if you find one. I just assumed that it doesn't support the file types that RTE use :( .

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i haven't got my Nokia 770 but hopefully this will be good to share with those who gonna use Gizmo on their toy :D
    If you want to call someone on Blueface in Ireland, you just dial *353 followed by their numbers.

If anyone can test this around! Supposely calls between VoIPs are free.

Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

And if anyone can figure out how to view o2 webmail I would really appreciate it.

Got mine yesterday. Very impressed. Browsing was not as sluggish as I had previously feared.

Couple of quick questions:
    - We have the latest version of OS2006 installed by default right? I have something like 2006.49 on mine which I believe is the latest.
    - I briefly tried to get Media Streamer up and running yesterday. I have twonky running on my computer (default install), but when I open Media Streamer it can't find any shares. Has anyone done this (or similar uPnP before) and am I missing anything? Do I have to have any special config on my wireless network?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭aCA

I should have mine delivered to me today. Does anyone know of any poker site that will work on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Has anyone figured out how to use Blueface as an alternative connection on Gizmo ?

I've already asked on the blueface forums, but I've got no answer as of yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

dal wrote:
    Couple of quick questions:
    - We have the latest version of OS2006 installed by default right? I have something like 2006.49 on mine which I believe is the latest.

2006.49 is the latest and last release of 2006. I much prefer 2007 to 2006. Here's that guide to dual booting you asked for :)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055129587

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 d_mc_a

Yea, I got mine yesterday. I've pimped out my 770 now with the works. I'm just installing linux apps to see now what is compatible. The rDesktop works very well at controlling Windows PC's. It's pretty cool at RDP'ing a media center and control the menu. You can even share out our memory stick with the RDP session and It will appear as another drive in the PC ur controlling. Very useful. The built-in File manager only give you access to the MyDocs directory but you can add the root easily once you get xterm installed. Oh, also, when you get root access and xterm installed. DON'T run apt-get update. It will brick!!

Some people have been complaining about the handwriting recognition, I find it work's very well. It has no trouble recognizing my hyroglyphic-style writing .

Orb works perfectly with it. I was able to stream my sky box to it 5 minutes after I took it out of the box.

Has anyone got a VNC server going get? I would like to be able to control the 770 from a PC. Just so I can set it up quicker.

Hope this helps some people

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

hate to ask but is youtube a definate no go on the 770?

• Advertisement

Have you tried UKTube? I haven't gotten around to it yet, ut will give it a bash soon..

UKTube

Works great.. You do need to install Python 2.5, MPlayer, and the UKTube package. When all installed, you just copy the URL of the youtube page that contains the video, into the UKTube address window, and it will download and start playing the Youtube video (doesn't wait for it to finish downloading either)..

Well worth a go..

One thing I didn't really like was the fact that the d-pad in opera jumps from link to link instead of just scrolling (i know you can also scroll by dragging).

Here is a fix if you want the d-pad to just scroll:

http://tech.inhelsinki.nl/2005-11-22/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

2006.49 is the latest and last release of 2006. I much prefer 2007 to 2006. Here's that guide to dual booting you asked for :)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055129587
    Yes, I checked and mine also comes with the latest release.

BTW, when you say you prefer 2007, are you talking of the official IT2007, supposed to be for the 800? I thought you just couldn't install it? How did you do it? What are the main advantages of the 2007 version?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Hmmm, just checked the link in you post. I guess it answers most of the questions.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Has anyone managed to login and post on boards using your Nokia 770 with a success? I tried many times it kept redirecting me to "Thread Tags" page after logging in.

Marty

mart_max wrote:
    Has anyone managed to login and post on boards using your Nokia 770 with a success? I tried many times it kept redirecting me to "Thread Tags" page after logging in.

Marty

Nope, I get the same. Now if only I had an n800, there's supposed to be a version on firefox that's just been released, that would probably sort it. Too bad it won't work on the 770 at all. :-/

mart_max wrote:
    I tried many times it kept redirecting me to "Thread Tags" page after logging in.
    Same here.
    I found I could post though if I changed the board theme to "Mobile".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Got

Xterm
    dropbear
    some ad proxy app which blocks annoying ads

Only had it 2 days, it's fairly funky alright.

Using http://m.gmail.com for emails as well

• Advertisement

zabbo wrote:
    Got

Xterm
    dropbear
    some ad proxy app which blocks annoying ads

Only had it 2 days, it's fairly funky alright.

Using http://m.gmail.com for emails as well

Regular Gmail works too :) Minus the contacts side box.

Advertisement