Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v France (Match Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Easygainer wrote:
    When he didn't give Murphy the advantage? When he just happened to miss Horan being obstructed twice? Or, lest we forget, his comments before the match which should have immediately had him taken out of the match?
    what were theese coments he made? i missed them...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭ColinJennings

I normally don't have a problem with the Referee at matches, but this referee was terrible. After all the talk about handling in the rook during the week, the Irish dealt with and managed to play without cheating.

Then the Ref said twice that Ireland's advantage was over when they could have gone into the lead. Not only is that six points squandered that could have been, but the psychological effect of that is enormous.

Then there was the Geordan Murphy try that there was no reason not to award. The Horan intererences. Even after O'Connell complaned he still failed to make correct decisions. A catalogue of errors by the referee could be blamed... but ultimately the sloppy defending at the end was what killed Ireland's chances of a Grand Slam.

Shame that an otherwise amazing match was ruined by refereeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Yes the ref did make a few questionable calls, why the hell couldn't he play advantage, and were his eyes closed when Horan was impeded.

That said, Ireland were not at full strength at all. I felt Horgan was not comfortable in the centre, and what the hell is going with the crappy kicking of the ball.. Very simple and basic errors, should they not be the easiest to fix..

But fair play to Ireland for hanging in there. They ran the French all the way, and lets hope BOD is back for the reminder of the contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

hobochris wrote:
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/2007/0208/osullivane.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Easygainer

hobochris wrote:

He was a touch judge in the Wales match and said he'd come down hard on Ireland after O'Callagahan's infringements at the break down. If a judge said the same thing he would be recused for bias.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The referee did make some dodgy calls but tbh those happen. They just look worse because of his comments during the week.

We lost because we made mistakes, missed a few key tackles and failed to control the game when we had to. Not because of a few calls going against us, though the one against Boss at that scrum was one of the more 'interesting' ones in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

nesf wrote:
    The referee did make some dodgy calls but tbh those happen. They just look worse because of his comments during the week.

We lost because we made mistakes, missed a few key tackles and failed to control the game when we had to. Not because of a few calls going against us, though the one against Boss at that scrum was one of the more 'interesting' ones in my opinion.

Completely agree with you, the ref was not the deciding factor.

ulktimatly it was Irelands mistakes the were the bigger factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

How does a ref make so many bad calls and still get matches? Flannery should have been on from the start, BOD would have made a difference to the match, Stringer wouldn't.

I said it while watching the autumn internationals, we are in scrum half limbo, Stringer never breaks and Boss breaks too much leaving others to cover his position.

Would Redden be a happy medium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

There is no way you can blame this loss on the ref, blame the first half tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

bad kicking - Eddie get it sorted!

poor choices at crucial times - guarantee you Stringer would have used those 'advantages' to earn penalties for his team. Boss had a great game all around though

O'Driscoll was the big difference today. His ability to go past people and offload was badly missed. D'Arcy was missed in number 12 to make the breaks

O'Gara should learn how to kick the drop off properly - high and not very far. We never seem to regain our own drop off!

A game we shouldn't have lost

• Advertisement

Yes the ref did make a few questionable calls, why the hell couldn't he play advantage, and were his eyes closed when Horan was impeded.

That said, Ireland were not at full strength at all. I felt Horgan was not comfortable in the centre, and what the hell is going with the crappy kicking of the ball.. Very simple and basic errors, should they not be the easiest to fix..

But fair play to Ireland for hanging in there. They ran the French all the way, and lets hope BOD is back for the reminder of the contest.

That's the problem with this country's sporting culture - "ah sure we tried". Bollox we did. We should have won. We are the best Northern hemisphere team of the last few years and what do we have to show for it? A made up plate (the triple crown) and a few "moral" victories. This country has such a losing mentality. We were a disgrace in the first half, the kicking was a disgrace but none of that should matter - we should have won.

We were playing a French team which couldn't give 2 ****s about the 6 Nations this year, at home, and we lost. We were playing a team that were annihilated by NZ in autumn when we played well. Why? because there was no pressure - the autumn internationals count for nothing.

There are only a handful of players, O'Driscoll among them, who believe Ireland should win these matches. The rest, and most of the country, approach them as matches we can win if things go our way. We need the Aussie attitude that we can win anything and should win everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

tbh it was heartbreaking watching this.

first 20 minutes was terrible, and it just came down to the bounce of the ball.

the ref's actions today didn't help what he said during the week.

have to admit though it was the most entertaining and nailbiting match i have watched in the last couple of years.

There is no way you can blame this loss on the ref, blame the first half tbh.

You can blame a lot on the ref. Even if we played bad, Skrela was choking and couldn't kick to save his life towards the end of the first half and France, though dominant, weren't converting their chances. Ireland, though playing bad, were coping and in a position to win.

When we finally got our act together and had crucial opportunities, it wasn;t the French who denied us, or Irish errors, it was poor refereeing decisions. Have you any idea how frustrating it is to have that happen to you? If you've ever had a biased ref in any sort of sport you will know that it is horrible to have to contend with a ref as well as the other team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

How come all of you lot werent in here posting last week about how Wales were robbed from poor reffing against ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

The ref should be releaved of his duties for the rest of this tournament!!!

normally when complaining about a ref i would say that he seemed to be an extra player on the other team... but this guy was just bad in general...

How come all of you lot werent in here posting last week about how Wales were robbed from poor reffing against ireland?

Some people did comment on the poor calls last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

I do agree with you, but at least they didn't roll over in the second half and throw up the ghost. Clearly the French were the superior team on the day, and yes Irish rugby is at stage where it has some of most talented players ever in one side. I do feel that they can have a good year, and like you said, they have to believe that they can.
    Just start fixing those basic errors though, it is annoying to see possesion wasted by kicking into the arms of the opposition, only for them to show how it should be kicked.

Some people did comment on the poor calls last week.

It certainly wasnt to the same extend were getting now, and will get in the next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh there were bad calls made last week no one will deny that, but what that ref said last week can you blame anyone here for being a little frustrated at him?

Same reason any fan doesn't mind when it happens the other team.

Man U fans are hardly going to whinge about that 7 minute extra time period in the 92/93 season the same way the winning side in a court case won't complain if the judge erred.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know, and it is dissgracefull, some people wouldnt even admit that there were bad calls last week.

It certainly wasnt to the same extend were getting now, and will get in the next few hours.

Because it is human nature?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Because we're not Welsh, and are far more interested in the fortunes of the Irish team.

Cremo wrote:
    yeh there were bad calls made last week no one will deny that, but what that ref said last week can you blame anyone here for being a little frustrated at him?

That is important actually. If the ref last week had being going on in the previous week about Wales in a similar way as to what happened last week then it would look a lot worse.

Though from some people here you'd swear they'd never seen a bad decision by a referee before tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

On the bright side O'Callaghan managed to control himself a bit better and not give away so many penalties, Leamy, Hickie and POC played well I thought.

Unfortunatly it is human nature, says it all about how humans are really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

Easygainer wrote:
    Same reason any fan doesn't mind when it happens the other team.
    Doesn't explain why so many people on here were aghast at the TMO in last week's game who gave a certain Lazarus-like Mr Wilkinson that try he never got. Unless Boards.ie is suddenly a Scottish site and no one's told me.

There have been dodgy referring calls for every team in this tournament so far this year. Yes, when it happens to your own team it's galling, but you have to take the rough with the smooth if you delight in the dodgy ones that favour your own team. The IRB do need to get their act together, though so there are fewer iffy calls all round.

I was sure Ireland had it when Ronan made his kick. Just goes to show you, it's never over till it's over. Feck.

Cremo wrote:

I can. He said he would be looking at the breakdown very closely and monitoring how what the irish did in the rucks. So how did he perform at the rucks? I cant have any complaints, was he biased towards France at the rucks? Definitly not.

But people seem to be suggesting he was always going to be biasd against Ireland at every stage of the game. Thats because we dont want to accept the fact we were beaten by a better team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

I can. He said he would be looking at the breakdown very closely and monitoring how what the irish did in the rucks. So how did he perform at the rucks? I cant have any complaints, was he biased towards France at the rucks? Definitly not.

But people seem to be suggesting he was always going to be biasd against Ireland at every stage of the game. Thats because we dont want to accept the fact we were beaten by a better team.

Truth tbh, Ireland lost that game all on there own when they got lazy in the dying minutes. They should have realized that France would fight to the end, they're French ^^.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Gutted. Yeah Walsh made some bad calls, which might have won us the game - so be it.

We ultimately lost the game because we conceded a score immediately after scoring ourselves - any sports fan in the world will tell you that's when you need to be at your most vigilant, and we weren't.

The rest of the championship is merely going through the motions now, roll on the Heineken Cup and the RWC.

Advertisement