Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

something fun?

Options
  • 05-01-2006 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭

Right, well first thing is welcome back all. :D

Now can we do something fun in this forum? I know everyone is studying etc but this place has gone so quiet, and people are posting in other forums so I think we need something fun and exciting to bring back the crowds/swarms.

Now Im not great with the old ideas thing so Im hoping someone else will come up with the 'something exciting' part.

Actually I did have an interesting conversation recently with someone about late night escapades around UL... that could be interesting - what do people do/where do people go when they come to college AFTER HOURS? I have heard some funny stories and I think we could all do with some amusement. :v:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Get the ball rolling then if you have a funny story about some night time UL fun, of course you'll have to name names and specify how drunk these people were! :v:

How about a three word story, those always bring people back to a forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Well naming names might lead to *in-jokes* so i'll avoid that. And well the stories I heard are kinda x-rated. I'll try and think of a PG story to get the ball rolling and leave the juicy ones for later...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

I can think of something fun to do late at night when your drunk!!!

Drunken GT4/Forza is always great, you get to see how bad a driver you are when your drunk!

No that does not count. It has to involve being around college. Kinda 2 o clock in the morning and type stuff... and I never said it had to involve drink.

So, its 2am you are wandering around the main building with some mates... what are you gonna do... that kinda story. Not GT4 pfft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Well during 1st year the night we were all back in the house after the holidays at the end of January we all decided to go for a few pints. As usual a few turned into quite a few.

So me and a couple of others who aren't on boards said 'ah sure we'll head to the Venus labs to see if the exam results are up'....this was around 12:30 at night. So in we walked all slightly tipsy some of us couldn't remember our passwords to login to the machines. When we managed to get over that hurdle and finally check our results we were all happy. I had gotten up to look at someone elses results and when I came back to the machine I was on a certain person (Duggan) thought it'd be a good laugh to pull my chair away as I was sitting down...so I ended up falling on my arse to the collective laughter of all in the lab who could see.

I don't know how we didn't get thrown out of the place...about 30 minutes after we arrived and a few dirty looks from the porter we left. I could feel everyone looking at me and sniggering as I went.

Thats my funny story. Of course it would have been funnier if you'd all seen it, oh well.

Cheers
    Rory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

I spent a drunken half hour on top of that massive black and white wall thing on the last night of 1st year. Not that I was doing anything interesting....

I did fall off and bust my ankle though. Only remembered when I checked my fone the next day to find that I had been making a video of the top of the wall when I fell off it.

All fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

440Hz wrote:
    Well naming names might lead to *in-jokes* so i'll avoid that. And well the stories I heard are kinda x-rated. I'll try and think of a PG story to get the ball rolling and leave the juicy ones for later...

Come on tell the X-rated story we're all college students here we can handle it we wont go crying to our mammy's!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

After a night out in first/second year can't remember I slept the night in B1023, good old Johnny Swift.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 tyRion

I think it was a week before Christmas daze, two of my flatmates were wandering back from a house party in College Court to Thomond with two other mates

The got as far as the Schuman when one of my flatmates and one of the other guys decided to streak to Plassy. They dumped their clothes in a bush and ran to Plassy in the nip followed by the other two. Once they got to the main road they became paranoid that the cops would spot them and generally give out.

So all four of them decided to hop in a bush, as you do. And as my naked flatmate was hopping into the bush, allegedly the bush scraped his back and arse.

Thats not what the scrapes looked like to the student who saw four guys, two of whom were naked, come out of a bush minutes later. He just muttered to "first years" and walked on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

tyRion wrote:
    The got as far as the Schuman when one of my flatmates and one of the other guys decided to streak to Plassy.

Now if someone decided to streak across the gym during the exams next week, THAT would be a story!

• Advertisement

Right well I never had the pleasure/misfortune of being a 1st year here so all my crazy 'things to do in college after hours' stories are all for UCC. By the time I came to UL I was a well-balanced mature postgrad. And I kinda feel guilty telling stories about other people... esp seeing as I was threaten yesterday not to tell em (oops!!).

You see the thing about UL is there are just not enough lifts/elevators here... that was always the best fun in UCC. So many times I got stuck in the elevator in the Science building... I was stuck in there for 4 hours one evening, and I wasn't alone, and when the poor porter man came to get us out he got an awful shock, told us not to go messing with the elevators again (as if I was that bold!).
    One of the best post 'old bar' games to play in UCC was to go down the the Kampus Kitchen (this grotty place in the basement of the Science building that looks kinda like the canteen here). Anyway the idea was to bring some swivel chairs from the comp sci labs down in the lift to the campus kitchen and play chair F1 - that was great, lots of injuries mind you. I reckon you could easily play that game in the main building of a night... the corridor near my office is just right for it :v:

As for UL the most 'first year' thing I have done since I got here was fall asleep on the kitchen floor in an apt in Brookfield - not much of a rebel!! I think a good old fashioned game of drunken hide and seek in the main building could be fun... thing is you might never get found!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

What about getting stoned off one's face and spending the night making stupid/crazy recordings in the mus tech studio/lab? Or were you one of the sensible ones in the class 440Hz? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

tyRion wrote:
    I think it was a week before Christmas daze, two of my flatmates were wandering back from a house party in College Court to Thomond with two other mates

The got as far as the Schuman when one of my flatmates and one of the other guys decided to streak to Plassy. They dumped their clothes in a bush and ran to Plassy in the nip followed by the other two. Once they got to the main road they became paranoid that the cops would spot them and generally give out.

So all four of them decided to hop in a bush, as you do. And as my naked flatmate was hopping into the bush, allegedly the bush scraped his back and arse.

Thats not what the scrapes looked like to the student who saw four guys, two of whom were naked, come out of a bush minutes later. He just muttered to "first years" and walked on

I was one of those first years
    Legendary!!!
    Erm,still only little so dont have too many stories
    We did have a drunken olympics one night
    many events.....the best has to be the sleepy sleepy drunky drunky brushy brushy race
    basically we're all drunk
    then you have to go out in the courtyard with a brush. put ur head on the top of a brush, spin around it ten times while keepin ur head on it,race to the bottom of the street,down a pint and race back.
    first one back wins.
    one of many hysterical,if slightly nauseating events.

Has anyone ever gone bushrunning in UL?

This involves running on the top of bushes as fast as you can until you fall over. There are plenty of places on campus you can do this. By far the best bush running location in UL is on the bushes beside the steps leading from the White House down to the PESS building. They're low, broad, springy and on a downward slope so there's little danger of getting hurt. I'd recommend it to everyone!

Longboarding (a longboard is a big fast non-lame skateboard) around the place late at night is also fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Did mushrooms with a few friends one night last year. Decided to go up to chawkes for a few beers, on the way back to the house in Oaklawns we thought it would be a good idea to head down the alley beside the lodge and drink the beer there and roll a few joints. Next thing you know a big Paddy Wagon drives down the alley while we're all tripping and skinning up, the guards just told us to move on thank christ, and off we went. Our next stop was outside the arena on the slopey bank looking down onto the running track. Stayed there awhile smoking joints and just tripping. It was a perfectly clear night and was the best setting for mushies. Campus security were doing their rounds and kept on pulling into the running track, we kept on thinking they were after us (just being paranoid) but they just moved on. Then onto the river down by kilmurray village for a few more joints. All in all the perfect evening spent around UL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

- sneaked into tommy tiernan whilst drunk, got kicked out and tried again and was told guards would be called

-started fight in dromroe village and then ran

-decided to write graffiti on a girls bedroom wall with all her beauty products creams and the like,got caught red handed(so sorry!!)

-got drunk with flatmates,then drove around UL and lodge drunkenly, got chased by campus security

-climbed to top of old mill across water from thomond,several jumps had t obe negotiated when going up there,i was drunk and scared silly

theres a few others i'd rather not get into or are a bit lame(been thrown out of clubs and the like),aah the memories of my year in UL,happy days....

cornbb wrote:
    Has anyone ever gone bushrunning in UL?

Arggghhhh why did you have to mention this? Now I'm not going to be happy unless I've done it. It's going to be just like snorting vodka I'll have to do it eventually.

Cheers
    Rory

*Contemplating when to try bushrunning now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

That reminds me!!!

I was at a birthday back home, about 2 years ago, and myself and a bunch of lads ended up snorting tequila. I told this to a bunch of friends i was with in the stables one afternoon, so we decided to give it a try. So we got an empty coke can, turned it upside down, i went to the bar and asked for a shot of tequila (and got strange looks cos it was only about 4:30), we poured it into the hollow at the bottom of the can, and took turns snorting it. Needless to say, out of 5 of us, we couldnt finish the one shot, and were all in the corner of the stables bawling our eyes out with the pain of burned nostrils.

Thats a lame story compared to others i have, but i cant think of them right now.

I'm going to have to try doing Tequila some night aswell. I've tried snorting Vodka and Jameson whiskey which was interesting. I wonder which will burn the most.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Dunno does this really count as a night-time story, but it was certainly dark when meself and three pals came into the main building where the lift is (not the front door) This was back when the Periodicals section was on the third floor. Anyway, as we wait for the lift there's the usual banter, etc and this older staff member comes in, stands at the bottom waiting for the lift as well. Surely, it arrives, 4 of us pile in, along with this academic geezer. I press the '3' Button, and yer man doesn't - ergo he's going to the third floor as well.

The lads continue talking away and just before the canteen floor, i did that gutteral 'possessed by the devil voice' shouting

"I MUST FIND ANOTHER HOST BODY"

The lads, of course being primed, didn't turn a hair and kept joking.

Your man turned around with such a look of horror on his face, jabbed buttons left right and centre and got out, eventually, at floor 2, electing to take the stairs up to periodicals....

• Advertisement

cornbb wrote:
    What about getting stoned off one's face and spending the night making stupid/crazy recordings in the mus tech studio/lab? Or were you one of the sensible ones in the class 440Hz? :)

Yes, this was done... on a regular basis!! And another great one was convincing Dave to lend us the projector, and going into the studio to watch some crazy movie like Scarface in 5.1!!!! FANtastTIC.

Btw, any craic with the mus techs these days? Keep meaning to meet some of ya and see what ye are up to... any post-exam sessions planned that I could gate-crash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

ye all have such funny stories...im in Mary I..can hardly see me bushrunning about the place or snorting vodka/tequila in our non-existant bar..:D
    suppose i only in first year..got another 2+half years to create some stories!:)

Lol get out here and we'll have you snorting vodka in no time. Seriously you should try it, its an interesting experience. I can already see people trying to discourage you from doing it.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

Back in 1st year was drinking buckfast in kilmurry and then tried playing hurling. I swung for the ball, missed (obiously), slipped on the grass, landed on me head on the path beside the grass and lost my front tooth.:p

Also flying around kilmurry paths in shopping trolleys, the trolley hit a rock and flipped landing myself into the bushes (great painful fun!).:D

Heh, I've just realised how boring I am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Peteee wrote:
    Heh, I've just realised how boring I am!

took ya long enough :v:

I said boring, not lazy

But to be fair the two go........

440Hz wrote:
    any post-exam sessions planned that I could gate-crash?
    Ah nothing planned yet but there'll be something going on, i'll keep you posted. About half the class are going to London at the end of january, which should be a larf.

I've been meaning to nick that projector... they've got 2 adjacent 24" widescreen apple monitors in the studio now. Which is nice.

I recorded a stoned bunch of us eating pizza in the studio and put it in my MIDI/recording assignment. don't tell dave! ;)

cornbb wrote:
    I've been meaning to nick that projector... they've got 2 adjacent 24" widescreen apple monitors in the studio now. Which is nice.

I recorded a stoned bunch of us eating pizza in the studio and put it in my MIDI/recording assignment. don't tell dave! ;)

No worries.. your secret is safe with me... on one condition.. that you sneak me into the studio to look at the new monitor setup... my card doesnt swipe anymore :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

right so rmacm..il be out to UL so some night...u willinging to buy me my first vodka shot to snort then?lol:D ..

Advertisement