Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Saints#33 wrote: »
    I bumped into Norman on the Sat night after the UFC event in the wee hours and he was buzzing. Absolute top bloke. He got an unreal reception and to me is the most exciting fighter we have other than Conor.

I hope he murders Sanchez as he's due a hiding and it'll open big doors for Norman when he does. I just hope he doesn't let it go to the judges.

Do ya think?

Have to be honest, his fights against Tuck, Santos and the geordie lad were absolute snoozers.

I'd definitely say Neil Seery

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Reports that Stephan Bonner has come out of retirement and signed with Bellator, will be fighting Tito

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

scudzilla wrote: »
    Reports that Stephan Bonner has come out of retirement and signed with Bellator, will be fighting Tito

confused-o.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I guess his doping ban is up then.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

adamski8 wrote: »
    I guess his doping ban is up then.
    His fight with Silva was almost 2 years ago, it's likely up ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

p to the e wrote: »
    Robert Drysdale apparently released after his second failed drug test. Here's a question, are Abu Dhabi competitors drug tested?

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/8/23/6060963/robert-drysdale-released-from-ufc-after-second-failed-drug-test

Looks like he hasn't been cut after all. Apparently MMA Junkie tweeted that he's still in the UFC?

320103.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Looks like he hasn't been cut after all. Apparently MMA Junkie tweeted that he's still in the UFC?

320103.jpg

If the Baldfather thinks he's cut then it probably won't be long until he is.

Paddy Holohan will fight Louis Gaudinot on Oct 4th. Main card of a UFN. Tough tough fight! Straight in against a guy in the top 15.

http://uk.ufc.com/news/Holohan-vs-Gaudinot-Set-for-Halifax?utm_campaign=UFC+Fight+Night%3A+MacDonald+vs+Saffiedine&utm_source=15600&utm_medium=Facebook%3A+UFC&

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Paddy Holohan will fight Louis Gaudinot on Oct 4th. Main card of a UFN. Tough tough fight! Straight in against a guy in the top 15.

http://uk.ufc.com/news/Holohan-vs-Gaudinot-Set-for-Halifax?utm_campaign=UFC+Fight+Night%3A+MacDonald+vs+Saffiedine&utm_source=15600&utm_medium=Facebook%3A+UFC&

Come on the Paddy!!

From JK
    BwHPb6xCUAAE5P8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I like Gaudinot. Good solid fighter. Great opportunity for Holohan. Win this and he is surely looking at top ten opposition in his next fight??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

John_D80 wrote: »
    I like Gaudinot. Good solid fighter. Great opportunity for Holohan. Win this and he is surely looking at top ten opposition in his next fight??

you do like him? he is a big drug cheating bastard

adamski8 wrote: »
    you do like him? he is a big drug cheating bastard

Yes I do. He is an exciting fighter.

Perfectly aware of his history, but thanks for pointing it out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Come on the Paddy!!

From JK
    BwHPb6xCUAAE5P8.jpg

This is why UFC is destroying itself. There over saturating their product and their is no good competitor on the same level because they buy them out.

unknown13 wrote: »
    This is why UFC is destroying itself. There over saturating their product and their is no good competitor on the same level because they buy them out.
    Name legitimately one competitor that UFC "bought out"?
    WEC an excellant showcase of lighter fights, they were merged into the UFC to give them the exposure they deserved imo.
    Strikeforce was washed up.
    Pride was years past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Mellor wrote: »
    Name legitimately one competitor that UFC "bought out"?
    WEC an excellant showcase of lighter fights, they were merged into the UFC to give them the exposure they deserved imo.
    Strikeforce was washed up.
    Pride was years past it.

I don't fully agree with your 'analysis' of SF and Pride, but we'll leave that aside. But you can't deny that by buying out SF and Pride, UFC killed off the only two (surviving) companies that could compete with them in attracting talent. Less so SF, but still. I think the lack of top class variety has left everything a bit stale.

Jayo_M wrote: »
    I don't fully agree with your 'analysis' of SF and Pride, but we'll leave that aside. But you can't deny that by buying out SF and Pride, UFC killed off the only two (surviving) companies that could compete with them in attracting talent. Less so SF, but still. I think the lack of top class variety has left everything a bit stale.

Washed up was a bit harsh on Pride. But the company was in a bad way. They were supposed to continue as a separate promotion, but collasped. Strikeforce did continue for a while, it maintain its own fighters, but it's just wasn't up to scratch.

Belator and WSOF are both viable options for fighters but they simply haven't got the depth. (I'm not saying that ufc aren't contributing to that either)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Im actually enjoying WSOF alot lately, and trying to watch as many of there events as i can, the same with Bellator. Theres a fair few fighters in each promotion I like. Obliviously UFC is just the biggest product out there and most casual fans who dont watch it often even refer to the sport as "UFC" thats a tag that wont go away for a while i think. I would consider both of them decent sized competitors but for the foreseeable future nothing will be close to UFCs level unless theres a massive investment made into one of them ala City being bought out by Sheiks in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Barao out of 177!!
    Dillashaw is meeting Joe Soto is was supposed to be making his UFC debut at 177 .... This is just batsh*t crazy. They've just announced it about an hour before the weighins occur.
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/08/renan-barao-out-of-ufc-177-joe-soto-meets-t-j-dillashaw-for-title?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Absolute disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Good Lord that's shockin'

• Advertisement

What a shambles. Between 176 & 177, the UFC will surely have to take a look at the big picture and see that doing 50+ shows a year is starting to kill their whole product.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Dillashaw is doing his happy dance

JJayoo wrote: »
    Dillashaw is doing his happy dance

I disagree. He absolutely whooped Barao first time, so his confidence would have been sky high going into this. Must not have been nice for him, for his first title defence to be on one of the most widely slated PPV cards ever....then for the only decent fight on the card to be cancelled, would be a kick in the teeth for him. This will easily be the worst selling UFC PPV of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

one fc 19 repeated now on premier sports for those who havent seen it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

dulux99 wrote: »
    I disagree. He absolutely whooped Barao first time, so his confidence would have been sky high going into this. Must not have been nice for him, for his first title defence to be on one of the most widely slated PPV cards ever....then for the only decent fight on the card to be cancelled, would be a kick in the teeth for him. This will easily be the worst selling UFC PPV of all time

To be honest almost everyone automatically assumed he would lose the rematch. People were talking more about how bad Barao was instead of how good Dillashaw was.

JJayoo wrote: »
    To be honest almost everyone automatically assumed he would lose the rematch. People were talking more about how bad Barao was instead of how good Dillashaw was.

I disagree with you there, definitely. People were talking much more about how good Dillashaw looked, it was a brilliant performance. Barao looked bad because Dillashaw ran rings around him.

Also, Dillashaw was the favourite with the bookies in the rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Is this still a PPV?

dulux99 wrote: »
    What a shambles. Between 176 & 177, the UFC will surely have to take a look at the big picture and see that doing 50+ shows a year is starting to kill their whole product.
    I agree with your point that 50+ events is too many. But that irrelevant here, Barao pulling out hours before the weighin is a diaster no matter how many shows they have.

Mellor wrote: »
    I agree with your point that 50+ events is too many. But that irrelevant here, Barao pulling out hours before the weighin is a diaster no matter how many shows they have.

It's hugely relevant actually when you take into account that the only thing giving 177 any credibility as a numbered event was the title fight. If the UFC weren't stretching themselves so thinly losing Barao would have had a lot less of a detrimental affect to the quality of the card.

Yes it is a disaster as you put it but losing one of the headliners should not effectively 'kill' the entire card. A decent co main and a main card consisting of a few big names would have made the pill a lot easier to swallow. But the UFC can't provide that kind of back up to their main events anymore because of the fact that they are over diluting their product.

Off the top of my head I don't see how any fight on this card other than the main event even makes a ripple on the surface of their respective divisions in terms of title contention. Is that really the height of quality they can put forward to support what should be a fanfare event and one of their biggest for the year? The UFC put all their eggs in one basket again and they got caught out this time. This will be happening a lot more than it should in the future.

UFC 177 became even more of a joke than it already was because they lost one single fighter. Even if it turns out to have ten of the best fights ever seen in the UFC it will make **** all difference because there will be significantly less people even watching it now.

• Advertisement

John_D80 wrote: »
    A decent co main and a main card consisting of a few big names would have made the pill a lot easier to swallow.

Yeah sure. If it has the back up of say, 178, it might still be a solid card. But you still have the diaster situation with the belt. New comer makes his debut in a 5 rounder. Some craic if he wins

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement