Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 178 - McGregor-Poirier**Tune in from 3:30 onwards to see McGregor

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

John_D80 wrote: »
    There is no pay-per-view market in Ireland bud. The entire event (like ALL UFC events) is free to BT Sports subscribers. BT sports pay a licensing fee to the UFC. In the next few years we will be paying for individual events but for now our BT sports subscription gets us all our UFC events. So saying that they would lose PPV's in Ireland is not a valid argument. And besides that, even if there was a PPV market here, the revenue generated would be tiny by comparison to the total PPV return.

I totally get what you mean by saying this fight has been hyped and invested in heavily but as long as the fight goes ahead at all, none of this effort and investment is wasted.

McGregor is the type of fighter and personality that will always attract fans. Put him on as featured prelim this time round and he will bring in god knows how many new PPVs for his next outing. And if he wins against Pourier his next outing could well be a numbered event that HE will be headlining in a title eliminator.

Am not familiar with the BT set up these days to be fair i usually watch UFC in other ways,usually i pay for an event i want and stream it like i will with this one.

Still think Conors fight is possibly the biggest draw for sales on this card to american buyers,its not just a biased Irish perspective,Conor is making huge waves in the states and i know its a decent card but if they take Conor v Poirer off it there won't be near the same interest,people are major hyped for this fight with Poirer.

Granted Cowboy,Cruz,Might Mouse have been around longer than Conor and i love Cowboys style who doesn't love watching him fight,but the public love grudge matches with personality,where everyone no matter who they are invest a little bit of something into a Conor,Dustin fight,whether they are fans or want to see him lose or just basically wonder what Conor will say if he loses etc.these type of fights sell pay per views and the UFC know it,so i doubt they would bump him onto the pre-lims.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

amkin25 wrote: »
    Am not familiar with the BT set up these days to be fair i usually watch UFC in other ways,usually i pay for an event i want and stream it like i will with this one.

Still think Conors fight is possibly the biggest draw for sales on this card to american buyers,its not just a biased Irish perspective,Conor is making huge waves in the states and i know its a decent card but if they take Conor v Poirer off it there won't be near the same interest,people are major hyped for this fight with Poirer.

Granted Cowboy,Cruz,Might Mouse have been around longer than Conor and i love Cowboys style who doesn't love watching him fight,but the public love grudge matches with personality,where everyone no matter who they are invest a little bit of something into a Conor,Dustin fight,whether they are fans or want to see him lose or just basically wonder what Conor will say if he loses etc.these type of fights sell pay per views and the UFC know it,so i doubt they would bump him onto the pre-lims.

I think you're kinda missing my point. I'm not saying that they will put him on the prelim card and i'm not saying they wont. Its only a slim possibility right now. And its certainly not a question of 'bumping' him as you say just yet, when the running order or even the card itself hasn't even been finalised yet.

But if they did (and its a big IF), put him in as featured prelim, whatever PPV sales they lose, (personally I dont think it would be very many at all considering the overall strength of the card), they would more than make that revenue back again in the future from the new fans/customers they would gain as a direct result of McGregor/Poirier featuring on FS1. As long as he is in the UFC, Mcgregor (and people like Urijah Faber) can be an invaluable promotional tool for the UFC. Why not put him in 50 million home across America?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

You do understand that Conor and the UFC, if they are competent in the least, would look at markets bigger than just the UK and Ireland when making decisions? Not having a PPV system here is not an argument against considering the US market and others that would be lot bigger and more financially beneficial.

Yes i do understand that, id say they have nearly zero thought on how it will affect uk ireland. The US market is their bread and butter. I was pretty much making this point to another poster who said it would have an effect on irish ppv which i just pointed out does not exist!

I think you're kinda missing my point. I'm not saying that they will put him on the prelim card and i'm not saying they wont. Its only a slim possibility right now. And its certainly not a question of 'bumping' him as you say just yet, when the running order or even the card itself hasn't even been finalised yet.

But if they did (and its a big IF), put him in as featured prelim, whatever PPV sales they lose, (personally I dont think it would be very many at all considering the overall strength of the card), they would more than make that revenue back again in the future from the new fans/customers they would gain as a direct result of McGregor/Poirier featuring on FS1. As long as he is in the UFC, Mcgregor (and people like Urijah Faber) can be an invaluable promotional tool for the UFC. Why not put him in 50 million home across America?

I'm not really missing your point at all,you're saying they might put him on the pre-lims,and i am saying they won't will put him on the pre-lims,agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The featured pre lim slot is better than being in the first couple of fights of a PPV in my opinion.

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The featured pre lim slot is better than being in the first couple of fights of a PPV in my opinion.

Better for who?

It's not better for the UFC putting that fight on the Pre-lims.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Better for who?

It's not better for the UFC putting that fight on the Pre-lims.

Vast majority of pay per view customers will be genuine MMA fans who will pay the money whether McGregor is on the main card or not. If they lose a few casuals who are only shelling out based on the fact that Mcgegor is fighting they would more than make up for it in the future sales and new fans they would gain by beaming one of the organisations golden boys into millions of homes across the entire USA.

McGregor star power can't be exploited if people don't know who he is. Give em a taste and later on make them pay through the nose for a bigger bite. :-)

Vast majority of pay per view customers will be genuine MMA fans who will pay the money whether McGregor is on the main card or not. If they lose a few casuals who are only shelling out based on the fact that Mcgegor is fighting they would more than make up for it in the future sales and new fans they would gain by beaming one of the organisations golden boys into millions of homes across the entire USA.

McGregor star power can't be exploited if people don't know who he is. Give em a taste and later on make them pay through the nose for a bigger bite. :-)

There is some logic in what you're saying,either way i notice on the UFC site they have yet to announce the order of bouts,so all we know so far Cowboy is co-main,maybe they are considering your option using your argument who knows.

It seems like they aren't sure on something if they can't decide the order yet,it would be a strange card if he was on the Pre-lims,i know on the face of it people say its a stacked card,but there isn't any real mouth-watering fights other than Conors,the Kennedy,Romero one is the other most interesting fight for me,could be boring but i'd be interested to see what happens.

But there isn't any other fights on that card big enough to keep me out of the bed if Conor is on the pre-lims,id just watch the next day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I would rather see cerrone as featured prelim, he always puts on a good fight and while he is senior to McGregor I don't see him as a star at the moment. More like the reliable guy you can get to headline a fight night and a press conference where he says he just wants to fight. McGregor gets huge media attention already and to me seems more like the guy people believe they should pay to see.. and that should be encouraged by promoting him as a ppv attraction

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

If Cerrone has been made a co-main ahead of Conor there is obviously a reason, ie he brings in the fans big time. Cerrone and dull fight just doesn't exist and he is currently on a tear in hands down the most stacked division the UFC has ever seen, stopping his opponents in the last 4 fights. Conor being behind him in the pecking order is nothing to be upset about.

This card is stacked with superb match ups across the board. Even being involved in this card is good for your career, regardless of your position in the line up. FWIW i think Conor will defo be on the main card after bringing him out to the Q&A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Not sure if it's fact but I personally think Green asked for the opportunity to fight Cowboy he's the bigger name no offense to Masvidal's skills but Green did the UFC a favour taking his last fight on short notice givin him small bargaining power perhaps.

Cerrone will fight anyone and Green knows that he also knows he will be willing to stand and trade with him which is what he'd prefer.

As most do I love watching Cowboy fight but Green could prove a serious stumbling block. A title fight on the cards should he prevail, on the other hand Green is a right character and should he win the UFC will have no trouble building him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Would be very interesting to see the figures for the last minute PPV purchases for this event.

I imagine the majority of PPV buys are last minute

The full UFC 178 lineup includes:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)

Champ Demetrious Johnson vs. Chris Cariaso – for flyweight title
    Eddie Alvarez vs. Donald Cerrone
    Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier
    Tim Kennedy vs. Yoel Romero
    Amanda Nunes vs. Cat Zingano
    PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)

Dominick Cruz vs. Takeya Mizugaki
    James Krause vs. Jorge Masvidal
    Patrick Cote vs. Stephen Thompson
    Brian Ebersole vs. John Howard
    PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 7 p.m. ET)

Kevin Lee vs. Jon Tuck
    Manny Gamburyan vs. Cody Gibson

Cruz on the pre-lims!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Davei141 wrote: »
    Cruz on the pre-lims!

Main event on the pre-lims though so i'm guessing they'll use his fight to sell some last minute PPV'S, right he's there though, not fought for close on 3yrs now

scudzilla wrote: »
    Main event on the pre-lims though so i'm guessing they'll use his fight to sell some last minute PPV'S, right he's there though, not fought for close on 3yrs now

Yeah he would definitely shift some PPV's alright. I hope he puts on a clinic vs Mizugaki as the bantamweight division badly needs a fit and firing Cruz back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Imagine how ridiculous this card would have been if Jones v Cormier stayed on it. Would have to be up there with 92, 100 and 117 for the most stacked cards of all time. It would have been badly needed, after the shocker of a year the UFC have had

dulux99 wrote: »
    Imagine how ridiculous this card would have been if Jones v Cormier stayed on it. Would have to be up there with 92, 100 and 117 for the most stacked cards of all time. It would have been badly needed, after the shocker of a year the UFC have had

I still don't think it would be near them cards,would have been the most stacked since them possibly,and nowadays cards are so light it would have been easily the best of the year.

But it just woulda been stacked in relation to the crap we have getting these days,and since the Fox deal,but i still wouldn't compare it to the greatest cards ever,just it would be like an old UFC event when there was only a few a year, and would just be a decent card with a great Title fight for the main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

it would be like an old UFC event when there was only a few a year, and would just be a decent card with a great Title fight for the main event.

Definitely I want 6 - 8 stacked cards a year

dave1982 wrote: »

Great days,won't see that again,UFC is getting more and more like boxing everyday,back then main events getting pulled for injuries or the like never affected any of the cards because it was always backed up so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dave1982 wrote: »

The issue with 6-8 stack cards events per year is that it means there only 8-10 fighter per division in a year. The pace would be awful.

People always forget that when comparing current events to the early days. It's easy to put on 6 stacked events when your fighter pool consists of a handful on lunatics with a couple of skilled fighters.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    The issue with 6-8 stack cards events per year is that it means there only 8-10 fighter per division in a year. The pace would be awful.

People always forget that when comparing current events to the early days. It's easy to put on 6 stacked events when your fighter pool consists of a handful on lunatics with a couple of skilled fighters.

There is truth in what you're saying but they can still showcase more weight divisions,doesn't have to be just 6-8 cards a year,there is a happier medium between what it was,and what it is now,which is too many weak cards.

We never ever heard of events been called off because one fight was pulled till the Jones,Henderson/Sonnen debacle,now its happened again with Aldo/Mendes, so what Dana used to slate boxing for,is now the same as the UFC where they are using one star fight to sell events.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Was just looking back on wiki of events the ufc had, UFN 5 Silva V Leben has attendance of 606 :eek: compared to GSP V Shields 55,724

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RayMers

Alright lads, sorry if this question has already been asked but im just wondering has anyone booked the click and go ufc package?

I'm booking it this Wednesday and just wondering if anyone has already done it just to get some feedback, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Setanta say they will have Conor's fight exclusively live.
    Delighted to confirm that Conor McGregor’s UFC 178 fight will be exclusively LIVE on the Setanta Pack on Sept 27th

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭xtal191

Just means it'll be on BT Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

mcgregor fight should be epic . i haven't been this hyped for a UFC since GSP PENN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Lads, this is a "what time will Conor be fighting" question but please bear with me!

I'm actually going to be in San Francisco on Saturday (shameless brag) and found a good Irish bar to watch the fight. Problem is I probably can't get there until 20:30 local time. Any ideas what time he'll be on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

anyone else notice Conors' right hand was bandaged when he was featured in that Embedded 1 video the other day?

I hope he's not carrying an injury into the fight.

Advertisement