Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Farnell stock them - its a THS7314 you need, THS7316 is a higher bandwidth version for HDTV signals - will work just as well but probably more expensive than the 7314. They'll sell you one but the minimum order is €20 to get the free shipping.

Anyhow I should have a couple of them, you'll also need a few resistors,coupling capacitor and breakout out board as the SOIC-8 package is a bit small to solder resistors directly too. I can send all the various bits you need unassembled of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,854 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Farnell stock them - its a THS7314 you need, THS7316 is a higher bandwidth version for HDTV signals - will work just as well but probably more expensive than the 7314. They'll sell you one but the minimum order is €20 to get the free shipping.

Anyhow I should have a couple of them, you'll also need a few resistors,coupling capacitor and breakout out board as the SOIC-8 package is a bit small to solder resistors directly too. I can send all the various bits you need unassembled of course :)

Thanks for clearing that up, don’t want to get the wrong chip :)
    I have all the other bits apart from the THS7316/ THS7314. I need to stick in an order to Farnell or RS for some printer filament so I can stick the chip on that order later today. Actually, might as well get a few of them as I have more of these CoreGrafix than I thought, so if the mod goes well I might do the rest :)

Thanks for the offer though, it is appreciated.

Tried to make my standard non deluxe Turbo Everdrive a bit more... Deluxe.
    Not too happy with it to be honest, but it's ok i guess.

I miss my Deluxe :(

Sruw83F.jpg

UiMi3XS.jpg

RGB mod and new controller port added to PC Engine(Core Grafx model) - Done

I thought, 2 hours and she'll be finished.... 7 hours later :0/
    Still, i never tried a mod like this so not too bad.

I have a PC Engine with an RGB mod already that I got from eBay. But i actually think I did a better job :)

Now, time to start an LCD mod on my test Nomad. I'm not happy with the "AV1" always coming up onscreen on my other Nomad, so have sourced what seems to be a better screen(colour and brightness, contrast etc) and it doesn't have the "AV1" thing, which looks **** if you ask me on a retro console, and it always bugged me.

It's not the usual dealextreme LCD, its a pricier, more recent model.
    Will see how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I'd imagine it would make a big difference from composite, never had a pc engine myself. Must keep an eye out for one. There seems to be a lot of worthwhile games to justify a purchase.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine it would make a big difference from composite, never had a pc engine myself. Must keep an eye out for one. There seems to be a lot of worthwhile games to justify a purchase.

It's got some great games yeah. Plus the Core Grafx model is not too expensive and I think it looks great(and it's tiny).

KXWQo9b.jpg

Steve X2 wrote: »
    It's got some great games yeah. Plus the Core Grafx model is not too expensive and I think it looks great(and it's tiny).

I know, it's so small, so small that it may not be noticed coming in ;) I'm seriously getting tight for space at the moment. I think the lasers can be flakey on the Duo's, that would put me off getting one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Much nicer than the TG 16, they look like sh1te!

Now on the hunt for a jap one and an everdrive. I fully agree the design on TG 16 is hideous, must be up there as one of the worst looking consoles in comparison to the Japanese models.

So the blue bulb in my Zelda sign eventually blew after a few years of almost constant use.

n2zYJRy.jpg

I was looking around for a replacement blue or green one and just couldn't find anything.
    I have a few IKEA RGB dioders knocking around so i decided to replace the really dodgy chinese internals with one of those, it's a million times better(and safer), and now any colour i want :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

anyone know what type of de-soldering kit this is ?
    https://youtu.be/tnaya6ignwc?t=5m16s

because I want one :0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

LongZ wrote: »

Looks like a vacuum solder pump, there's a heating element to melt the solder & then a vacuum pump to remove it once it's flowing. Very handy they are, & makes things a LOT easier/neater

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

so it's just a different version of this ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S-993A-Practical-Electric-Vacuum-Desoldering-Pump-Solder-Sucker-Gun-220V-50Hz-/151342826019?hash=item233cbc4223

I'm just looking into a pain free de-solderer, I'm sick of using the usual solder sucker, it's a real pain and takes forever and puts me off doing a lot of mods :(

so it's just a different version of this ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S-993A-Practical-Electric-Vacuum-Desoldering-Pump-Solder-Sucker-Gun-220V-50Hz-/151342826019?hash=item233cbc4223

I'm just looking into a pain free de-solderer, I'm sick of using the usual solder sucker, it's a real pain and takes forever and puts me off doing a lot of mods :(

That might be just a vacuum pump, whereas the one in the video looks like a dual action soldering iron/vacuum pump. Not very sure, I only own the manual spring loader vacuum pump myself :o

Edit - No it seems to be the same type of thing, it has temp controls on it (the ebay item)

Ya there a combo heater/pump type desoldering setup. Very handy for removing stuff on large ground planes.
    Same as with anything, invest in good one and it'll last. I got a Duratool one a while ago and its great and spares are easy to get - as you will burn through the tips !!

Avoid the cheapo Chinese solder sucker types, they'll do a great job of burning the hand off you while leaving the solder intact !!

I used to use a sucker all the time.
    Now I only use wick!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Its one of these.
    For difficult to remove components (lots of pins) I tend to use a hot-air rework station to heat up the component, lift it off and then clean up the pads

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

It sucks (pardon the pun) having to use both hands with that thing in the vid though.

You should treat yourself to the duratool station The Last Bandit has.

Swappity swap :)

5FOOqEU.jpg

qSjAUYQ.jpg

dtjhaeB.jpg

All swapped out and now my multiregion Jap Saturn is running off a standard UK/Ireland PSU.

Happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Nice job.

Can you swap some power supplies on these?

• Advertisement

Yo Ollie i've found a great deal on a de-soldering station if youre still looking:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111737760907

Its identical to the Last Bandit's except it has the Pro'sKit brand name which are a quality global brand.

The buy it now price works out at €73 so add €3.95 for parcel motel.
    Its the best price I've seen for these so far.
    I've made a cheeky offer of £40 so we'll see what price the seller comes back with.

Heres the same model on farnell, which is €96 but out of stock atm:

http://ie.farnell.com/proskit-industries/ss-331bc-f/desoldering-station-60w-240v-eu/dp/2320603

Looks the same as the Duratool alright, presumably they're all made in the same chinese factory anyway !!

Looks the same as the Duratool alright, presumably they're all made in the same chinese factory anyway !!

Even the buttons are in the same place and the spares are identical!

Just received a counter offer of £45 bringing it down to €63 + parcel motel.

Happy out with that. :)

Got the adapter for my eprom programmer today so time to crack open the GNet with the 2011 ModBIOS :)

Very simple process, drop in the EPROM, set a jumper and power up, once its completed the EPROM can be removed.

20277798718_38774ca4ed_c.jpg

20465829455_10f51fe1dc_c.jpg

If anyone wants to 'borrow' the EPROM let me know..

What does the updated bios do/allow?

Lets you boot games from a CF Card, obviously these are backups of the original PCMCIA game cards I own.. <shifty look> ..

Lets you boot games for a CF Card

Ah, cool :)

Will play some other PSX based arcade games now as well.

http://www.arcademodbios.com/gnet-new.htm

I picked up this PS2 for the pricely sum of zero, though as can be seen, the reason is evident. It was absolutely caked in dust & dirt, it looked like it had been buried in soil for years. In the below pic, the lid has been removed, but I ended up doing a complete tear down of it & washing all the plastic properly, and using an air gun to clean the electronics. The drive also wouldn't read, so I stripped that down too & cleaned the lens, and greased all of the moving parts. Once done, I reassembled the whole thing & cleaned the exterior plastic again with a windex derivative so it's actually mint now...so much so that I've given it a permanent place beside the PS3 & PS4. Not happy with that, I brought the network adapter & hdd out of retirement for it, so it's sitting there ready to to be used, minty clean, with all my games installed on it :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Jesus that's manky! No minty after pic? :)

Advertisement