Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kerryphoto

Listowel Bridge has never looked better!

6680779705_7424489940.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Miss Cellaneous

Wonderful photo !

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church Newsletter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Are Knocknagoshel people allowed to read this thread or do we have to get a dispensation first? If the latter ........ how do we go about it :D

Church newsletter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

In another forum I saw the following reference -
    "Listowel court, Mathew James a corner boy was fined 10s 6d for abusive language". (1909)

Is this the same Mathew (Matteen) James who was the last Town Crier? Seems likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

In another forum I saw the following reference -
    "Listowel court, Mathew James a corner boy was fined 10s 6d for abusive language". (1909)

Is this the same Mathew (Matteen) James who was the last Town Crier? Seems likely.

A huge fine for the time, I hope he got his money's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mark142857

Pity about all the clouds. They could have waited for a clear day!

Church newsletter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

I believe that the Listowel Dublin based diaspora are in for a rare treat on the 24th February next, the occasion, at the Teachers Club, Parnell Square venue, will have Cyril Kelly reading some of his Listowel memories, Owen McMahon will sing some of his late brother Gary's beautiful ballads, Louis O'Carroll will pitch in with songs from his unique CD, Cathal Fitzgerald will twinkle the ivory's, Paddy Mc Elligott is bound to have the hall in stitches with his portrayal of John B's midnight hurling match at Gale Cemetery, and the fair lady, herself, Frances Kennedy will regale those present in her own inimitable style with some great story telling. Vincent Carmody will be presenting a slide show of one hundred year of Listowel memories.
    Not to be missed

Search Newsletter

Church Newsletter

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

boroman wrote: »
    I believe that the Listowel Dublin based diaspora are in for a rare treat on the 24th February next, the occasion, at the Teachers Club, Parnell Square venue, will have Cyril Kelly reading some of his Listowel memories, Owen McMahon will sing some of his late brother Gary's beautiful ballads, Louis O'Carroll will pitch in with songs from his unique CD, Cathal Fitzgerald will twinkle the ivory's, Paddy Mc Elligott is bound to have the hall in stitches with his portrayal of John B's midnight hurling match at Gale Cemetery, and the fair lady, herself, Frances Kennedy will regale those present in her own inimitable style with some great story telling. Vincent Carmody will be presenting a slide show of one hundred year of Listowel memories.
    Not to be missed

Is there a link for this? I can't find anymore details about it on the web.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 starfish23

Hi everyone,
    I'm going to work for Kerry ingredients in Listowel for 6 months starting in April. I am looking for accomodation but I have never been to Listowel, I am wondering which are generally good residential areas in Listowel and which are better to be avoided? I am looking for shared accomodation but on daft.ie only very few rooms are advertised (rooms currently advertised are in "The Forge" and in "Ashfield, Greenville") is there any other good way to find a room in Listowel? Local Newspaper maybe? I would be grateful for any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

starfish23 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'm going to work for Kerry ingredients in Listowel for 6 months starting in April. I am looking for accomodation but I have never been to Listowel, I am wondering which are generally good residential areas in Listowel and which are better to be avoided? I am looking for shared accomodation but on daft.ie only very few rooms are advertised (rooms currently advertised are in "The Forge" and in "Ashfield, Greenville") is there any other good way to find a room in Listowel? Local Newspaper maybe? I would be grateful for any advice!
    I'm living in greenville and it's quite a nice part of town. A lot of people in Kerry ingredients commute from Tralee as there's a better selection of houses to rent. It's only a 25 minute drive. Tralee is a bit pricier though

Thank you for your answer! I was thinking about moving to Tralee but I came to the conclusion of keeping the room that I am renting in Cork at the moment, so I can go back there for the weekends, so a small, cheap room in Listowel will do me. As I don't have a car it wouldnt make sense for me to get accomodation in Tralee. Do you know where the Kerry plant is exactly, is it within walking distance from say Greenville?

starfish23 wrote: »
    Thank you for your answer! I was thinking about moving to Tralee but I came to the conclusion of keeping the room that I am renting in Cork at the moment, so I can go back there for the weekends, so a small, cheap room in Listowel will do me. As I don't have a car it wouldnt make sense for me to get accomodation in Tralee. Do you know where the Kerry plant is exactly, is it within walking distance from say Greenville?

Check out this map. Greenville road is on the north side of the river. The plant is the large rectangle on the N69 with all the circles. If you zoom in you can see a small bridge over the river and this would be the quickest way to the plant on foot although I'm not 100% certain its open to the public as it runs through the racecourse (maybe another member can confirm this), otherwise you would have to walk into the town, cross over the bridge and back out the N69 which is a fair walk every day.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Check out this map. Greenville road is on the north side of the river. The plant is the large rectangle on the N69 with all the circles. If you zoom in you can see a small bridge over the river and this would be the quickest way to the plant on foot although I'm not 100% certain its open to the public as it runs through the racecourse (maybe another member can confirm this), otherwise you would have to walk into the town, cross over the bridge and back out the N69 which is a fair walk every day.

Cheers! That map is helpful, at least I now know where the plant actually is- couldnt find directions for it anywhere on the net...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Firstly feelgood, I'm not allowed to put a link but if you put the words Listowel connection into a search engine you will find information about the Listowel hooley in one of my blogposts.

Now Starfish, welcome to Listowel. I would suggest you look for a room nearer the town centre. Why don't you contact the local estate agent, Mary Horgan and she is sure to have something to suit you on her books. Sorry I'll get in trouble if I put in a link to her site but if you try Horgan auctioneer you should find her.

Check out NKRO and the badminton club. Great places to make new friends in town.
    Listowel is a great town to blow into. Enjoy your time here. They love us Cork people really.

Firstly feelgood, I'm not allowed to put a link but if you put the words Listowel connection into a search engine you will find information about the Listowel hooley in one of my blogposts.

Now Starfish, welcome to Listowel. I would suggest you look for a room nearer the town centre. Why don't you contact the local estate agent, Mary Horgan and she is sure to have something to suit you on her books. Sorry I'll get in trouble if I put in a link to her site but if you try Horgan auctioneer you should find her.

Check out NKRO and the badminton club. Great places to make new friends in town.
    Listowel is a great town to blow into. Enjoy your time here. They love us Cork people really.

I think there may be more than one local estate agent e.g. Dillon Prendiville, to name but one.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

The Bridge Road might be closer for you than Greenville. Its just a quick walk over the bridge then and your there! There are three estate agents that I know of:

Mary Horgan: http://www.horganproperties.com/

Dillon Prendiville: http://www.daft.ie/sherryfitzdillonprendiville/

Majella McGregor: http://www.daft.ie/mcgregorproperties/

Your best bet though would be the Kerry's Eye I'd think. Alot of house shares won't even be through estate agents or daft: they'll be in the local paper! Good luck I love Listowel since I moved here :D

cyning wrote: »
    The Bridge Road might be closer for you than Greenville. Its just a quick walk over the bridge then and your there! There are three estate agents that I know of:

Mary Horgan: http://www.horganproperties.com/

Dillon Prendiville: http://www.daft.ie/sherryfitzdillonprendiville/

Majella McGregor: http://www.daft.ie/mcgregorproperties/

Your best bet though would be the Kerry's Eye I'd think. Alot of house shares won't even be through estate agents or daft: they'll be in the local paper! Good luck I love Listowel since I moved here :D
    Out of interest does anyone know if you can cross the bridge from greenville and cross the race course?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

No, it is only open during the races. Unless you pretend you work on the racecourse:P

dibkins wrote: »
    No, it is only open during the races. Unless you pretend you work on the racecourse:P

Get one of these and you'll have no trouble.

69035R.jpg

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

A Blast From the Past- RTE documentary on Fleadh Cheoil na hEireann 1973
    http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1129030

Church Newsletter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

I am sorry that I did not give more up to date information on the Writers Week fund raising party which took place at the Teachers Club in Dublin last Friday night 24th Feb, however with the curtailment and ban on advertising on boards I thought that I would have fell foul with big brother or his agents. Suffice to say the night was a great success, full house and all the performers in tip top form. Needless to say the party went on till the early hours. Thanks to all who made it a night to remember.

Advertisement