Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nokia Lumia 800

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Dub XV wrote: »
    Can't send pic via text message. Any suggestions peeps?

What phone. Is your MMS settings in?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Lumia 800.

Found it. It's the group text setting, clearly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Well I still think we will get a feature pack or something. Obviously not all hardware is capable of certain things, especially tango handsets. Though I would expect a summed down update for older handsets atleast

There will only be one version of the Windows Phone 8 os. No matter what the spec of the phone getting the update they will all recieve the same update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Can't send pic via text message. Any suggestions peeps?
    Lumia 800.

Found it. It's the group text setting, clearly :D

I'm a bit confused by this. What does the group text setting have to do with sending a picture message?

In messaging settings, below the Group Text toggle, it says "Helps keep replies in one thread by using MMS"?

I haven't been able to send picture messages either, I'm just wondering what the link is between the group text thing and sending them...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Ronan H wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused by this. What does the group text setting have to do with sending a picture message?

In messaging settings, below the Group Text toggle, it says "Helps keep replies in one thread by using MMS"?

I haven't been able to send picture messages either, I'm just wondering what the link is between the group text thing and sending them...

Basically WP7 uses MMS to send group texts.

BTW I've decided that WP7 isn't for me. So if anyone wants a four week old unlocked HTC Titan, like new for cheap have a look at the add under my name.

• Advertisement

mad muffin wrote: »

Basically WP7 uses MMS to send group texts.

BTW I've decided that WP7 isn't for me. So if anyone wants a four week old unlocked HTC Titan, like new for cheap have a look at the add under my name.

you can switch that off in settings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Has anyone had a problem connecting their Lumia 800 to PC/Zune? I've tried on 4 computers now and the drivers won'r install correctly so Zune won't recognise it. This essentially means I've no way to update the phone or put any music on it. Bought it second hand last week from someone on DoneDeal. Perhaps this is why it was being sold :(

Has anyone had a problem connecting their Lumia 800 to PC/Zune? I've tried on 4 computers now and the drivers won'r install correctly so Zune won't recognise it. This essentially means I've no way to update the phone or put any music on it. Bought it second hand last week from someone on DoneDeal. Perhaps this is why it was being sold :(

Are all the computers running windows XP? Try a diff cable?

Usually lots if problems running on XP, some on Vista usually none for w7

Nope, all the computers I've tried it on are W7 and they're all genuine with updates switched to automatic. I was just wondering if anyone had come across the same thing and had managed to work through it. I've done a software reset on the phone, this made no difference. It's just odd that it got no good reaction from any of the 4 PC's I tried.

Nope, all the computers I've tried it on are W7 and they're all genuine with updates switched to automatic. I was just wondering if anyone had come across the same thing and had managed to work through it. I've done a software reset on the phone, this made no difference. It's just odd that it got no good reaction from any of the 4 PC's I tried.
    they all connected to the internet?

• Advertisement

Indeed they are. Just reading there about someone who had success running XP SP3 in VMware and updating the phone... so I might give that a shot although relatively speaking, it's a lot of work for something that should just be easy...

Indeed they are. Just reading there about someone who had success running XP SP3 in VMware and updating the phone... so I might give that a shot although relatively speaking, it's a lot of work for something that should just be easy...

Its nothing ive seen before.

Is the user account admin? When you plugged in the phone the first time did you see this icon devicesl.png with a spinning green ring and device connected sounds?

Like usual when the phone is connected it will take 1 or few mins to install drivers. Afterwards you should see the icon above with an green image and by clicking it you should see Nokia Lumia 800 devicesandprinters.png, like here only instead of Titan is should be Lumia 800.
    devicemanagerm.png
    Alternatively you could check Windows Device Manager the status or is it even being picked up?

Can you not just bring it back to the shop and get a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Its possible that your phone's USB connector is damaged, so it will charge, but not transfer data.

You could also have a corrupt driver already installed.

Try evolutionqy7's tips above. If nothing is showing up when you connect the phone, then the PC and the phone aren't communicating at all.
    If something does show up, try right clicking it, and selecting "Uninstall". Once its uninstalled, unplug the phone, reboot the PC, and try plugging it in again.

If none of this helps, you'll probably have to bring it back to the shop, or call Nokia. It's under warranty, so you'll be sorted out no problem.

Thanks for the advice, however I'm not getting anywhere with this unfortunately. I've just tried your suggestions DjFlin and that didn't work out, and as for evolutionqy7's advice I'm just confronted with the screens seen below.

Since I'm based in Limerick and I bought it off a stranger in Lucan (who is not answering calls or texts), it's very unlikely that they'll be able to help me at all in a Meteor store, let alone replace the phone for me.

2u9tl5w.jpg

2r70djs.jpg

20r7fp4.jpg

24ocyv6.jpg

It just looks like the phone cant talk to the PC, more than likely faulty, might have been the reason for sale even.

You could try sending it for repair. Meteor has sent away my Samsung Omnia 7 for repair before.

I did have the receipt for it but they never saw it, and it was bought of adverts by another fella on bill pay.

Not all shops will be so nice on in sending it away for repair though, depends who you talk to and how nice are you :) You can give it a shot at least anyway.

All shops send their phones to MPRC anyway and they repair it under manufacturers warranty, it doesn't come out as a cost to the shop.

Thanks for that, it's a pity that there's nothing really else I can do from my end. I'll take your advice and see what can be done with it when going into a meteor store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

The only time I've seen this happen is when using a usb cable that doesn't support a data connection. Try another usb cable that supports data connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I had a similar issue with a Lumia. I just used a different cable (an non-Nokia one, I believe it was my Kindle cable) and it worked fine thereafter.

Thanks for that, it's a pity that there's nothing really else I can do from my end. I'll take your advice and see what can be done with it when going into a meteor store.

I know it's a bit cumbersome, but it's something you could try if you only want to send the phone away as a last resort...

You could install Windows 8 Consumer Preview from here, and try and hook it up then? You could run it as a dual boot set up. You can install Zune on Windows 8 CP.

The reason I am suggesting this is because this is the only method by which I can update the software on my phone. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and (as far as I can see) a recent windows update has caused a persistant issue whereby renaming, creating etc. folders throws up an error message constantly that you have to click OK to get rid of. It still will rename the folders etc., but not without the user click, which is a pain in the hole.

Anyway, all my phone updates fail on Windows 7 as a result of this, because obviously there are folders automatically created etc. during in the install, and without the user input, causes the install to fail.

It has worked flawlessly on Windows 8 CP, so maybe give that a shot if you still wnat to try stuff. It might install properly there.

HTH.

Ro

All shops send their phones to MPRC anyway and they repair it under manufacturers warranty, it doesn't come out as a cost to the shop.

On that note, if you are gonna get it repaired, just bring it directly yourself to MPRC or a local Nokia Care Centre. If you send it through the shop it can take a couple of weeks to get back, but if you go directly you can get it done far quicker.

Ro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

They phrased it wrong!

It should be called "mms setting" and then have text along the lines of "switch this setting on to send group texts and multimedia"

They phrased it wrong!

It should be called "mms setting" and then have text along the lines of "switch this setting on to send group texts and multimedia"

So in order to send picture messages, that toggle has to be set to on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Yes, and that's the problem. If you have it enabled and you want to send the same text to two people you'll be charged for an MMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I know I know, its a Lumia 900 in this video but I;m sure the 800 would also be capable of taking such treatment seeing as its stated as having the same display spec :)

Zonda999 wrote: »
    --- snip ---

I know I know, its a Lumia 900 in this video but I;m sure the 800 would also be capable of taking such treatment seeing as its stated as having the same display spec :)

Sure give it a try and report back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Sure give it a try and report back :)

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Yes, and that's the problem. If you have it enabled and you want to send the same text to two people you'll be charged for an MMS.

Thanks for clearing that up, although the logic of it from a phone point of view is certainly not clear :confused:...

Thanks for clearing that up, although the logic of it from a phone point of view is certainly not clear :confused:...

You wouldn't be the first one to say that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

I have "Group Text" off and i can still send MMS messages.

• Advertisement

On that note, if you are gonna get it repaired, just bring it directly yourself to MPRC or a local Nokia Care Centre. If you send it through the shop it can take a couple of weeks to get back, but if you go directly you can get it done far quicker.

Ro

When I went into the Meteor store this morning they guy there had had the exact same experience with the cable I was using, he gave me a replacement one from a sony ericsson and now everything's just working fine.

Great Success!

Advertisement