Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol "stretching"

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Face fact the government is winning every which way with the stretching fuel scam . Cars are going to get expensive repair bills and that makes the government more tax than petrol sales do .People will replace cars more often due to fualty second hand car market full of lemons. best of all it effect newwer cars with complicated fuel systems even more bad than older cars . The second car market is gonna be stuffed with bad cars soon .The big car sales outfits will benifit from more new car sales .So even you name shame and jail the spetrol tations that do this the government will turn thier eyes away from looking at the replacements bad petrol stations will pop up The gombeens of the provisional Irish government in the leinster House that the Queen of the UK own Ireland Inc know as good gombeens collecting hte taxxes for thier boss the cow they are far better off to to let as much stretched fuel enter the system as they can possibly get away with and watch the taxess roll in as they sing "long live strecthed fuel" .

Think about it in the building trade we take sample of every concrete truck that delivers the concrete to the site so if five years later the building faals aprt they can expose which concrete was faulty. The goevernemtn can in its power demand samples of every fuel batch delivered to stations and can demand samples daily or hourly of every forecourt and stick the bills for the collection of samples on the forecourts and the oil companies .But the big boys who make gazzilions wrecking the cars of Eire wont do that so they will block the gombeens in leinster house from even trying to stop the bad fuel story
    its simple take samples of every fill of your own car date and stamp it and trace it other wise forget it your on your own .

Most Irish will spend more on thier cars over thier life time than they will even on their houses .If they can wreck the cars more often they can screw the car owners for even more profits

Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

derry wrote: »
    Face fact the government is winning every which way with the stretching fuel scam . Cars are going to get expensive repair bills and that makes the government more tax than petrol sales do .People will replace cars more often due to fualty second hand car market full of lemons. best of all it effect newwer cars with complicated fuel systems even more bad than older cars . The second car market is gonna be stuffed with bad cars soon .The big car sales outfits will benifit from more new car sales .So even you name shame and jail the spetrol tations that do this the government will turn thier eyes away from looking at the replacements bad petrol stations will pop up The gombeens of the provisional Irish government in the leinster House that the Queen of the UK own Ireland Inc know as good gombeens collecting hte taxxes for thier boss the cow they are far better off to to let as much stretched fuel enter the system as they can possibly get away with and watch the taxess roll in as they sing "long live strecthed fuel" .

Think about it in the building trade we take sample of every concrete truck that delivers the concrete to the site so if five years later the building faals aprt they can expose which concrete was faulty. The goevernemtn can in its power demand samples of every fuel batch delivered to stations and can demand samples daily or hourly of every forecourt and stick the bills for the collection of samples on the forecourts and the oil companies .But the big boys who make gazzilions wrecking the cars of Eire wont do that so they will block the gombeens in leinster house from even trying to stop the bad fuel story
    its simple take samples of every fill of your own car date and stamp it and trace it other wise forget it your on your own .

Most Irish will spend more on thier cars over thier life time than they will even on their houses .If they can wreck the cars more often they can screw the car owners for even more profits

Derry

Lol. As a comedy poster you have no equal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

derry wrote: »

Derry
    Now I know who writes those spam e-mails.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I saw a lizard driving a petrol tanker the other day - could have been Niki Lauda though.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

has this taken over from laundered diesel ? or is that still going on too ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 kazzamazza

Can it affect the oil pump or the bearings? My cars oil light came on suddenly on the motorway to Dublin and the knocking noise followed before stalling completely. Garage said it was loss of pressure causing either one if these. Need a new engine. It's an 07, 1.4 petrol.Only 90k on it. Could it be bad petrol and how long after you get this petrol does it start failing? P.S. I live in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

kazzamazza wrote: »
    Can it affect the oil pump or the bearings? My cars oil light came on suddenly on the motorway to Dublin and the knocking noise followed before stalling completely. Garage said it was loss of pressure causing either one if these. Need a new engine. It's an 07, 1.4 petrol.Only 90k on it. Could it be bad petrol and how long after you get this petrol does it start failing? P.S. I live in Mayo.

You need to pull over immediately when oil light comes on. Did you continue driving for a time?
    You should get the cause of failure from mechanics post mortem. Doubt the fuel problem would cause your issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kazzamazza

You need to pull over immediately when oil light comes on. Did you continue driving for a time?
    You should get the cause of failure from mechanics post mortem. Doubt the fuel problem would cause your issue.

Yeah we did unfortunately,we were near a town so wanted to get off the road to a garage so did drive on until car conked completely. Also we were trying to catch a flight which caused us to keep going.With all this talk of bad petrol I was worried this might be the reason. Need to get more info off garage so as to the cause, hope they can find out.Just back in the country today. Thanks.

kazzamazza wrote: »
    Yeah we did unfortunately,we were near a town so wanted to get off the road to a garage so did drive on until car conked completely. Also we were trying to catch a flight which caused us to keep going.With all this talk of bad petrol I was worried this might be the reason. Need to get more info off garage so as to the cause, hope they can find out.Just back in the country today. Thanks.

If you need more help you could start another thread.

Sadly most cars warnings are not assertive enough in this scenario.
    And a lot of people are unaware it's so urgent.

US Spec 2001 VW Golf high end model
    44-1.jpg
    Pretty clear message
    33-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Paul Ryan

If like me you have been hit by this, we have started a Facebook group called "Petrol Stretching Victims Ireland" i want to share info about this with everyone effected..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Paul Ryan wrote: »
    If like me you have been hit by this, we have started a Facebook group called "Petrol Stretching Victims Ireland" i want to share info about this with everyone effected..

check out the other thread here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057293591&page=4

There is another group in Meath, "Oldcastle and district fuel Action Group". Looks like the supplier in that case has been more upfront than others and is as mystified as anyone as to how this got into supply chain.

I haven't been affected by this and haven't heard of any issues in Limerick, very worrying that it isn't just a once off in some part of Mayo though.

any updates??

is it still going on out there?? or have the authorities clamped down on it??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Two people that I know of in Waterford have been affected. Both from the same station too...a brand that's always said to be fine on here:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Two people that I know of in Waterford have been affected. Both from the same station too...a brand that's always said to be fine on here:pac:

Just remember, just cos its a popular branded station, doesnt mean that its run by that same brand.
    The guy running the service station could be getting his fuel from elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mikeecho wrote: »
    Just remember, just cos its a popular branded station, doesnt mean that its run by that same brand.
    The guy running the service station could be getting his fuel from elsewhere.
    Or as someone said above: the stretching could be done by the tanker driver, after leaving the depot and before arriving at the garage.

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭walshyp

Would this increase your MPG? One particular garage I go I seem to get an extra 6 miles per gallon on the car if I fill the car there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

walshyp wrote: »
    Would this increase your MPG? One particular garage I go I seem to get an extra 6 miles per gallon on the car if I fill the car there.

It'll most definitely reduce it... to 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

walshyp wrote: »

Knowing several people who need replacement engines as a result of a piss poor attempt of TVO, I can certainly say it doesn't increase your mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Paddypowered

I have just rebuilt a 2010 opel Astra 1.4 due to petrol stretching....
    Parts needed were,
    Pistons with rings. (Sold from opel complete)
    Con rod shell bearings.
    Head gasket.
    Head set.

Never seen so much carbon build up, at least 1 mil on top of crown and same on valve surface, rings seized in grooves and slight scoring down bore of cylinder, stripped head off cams and valves, head sent off and cleaned...funniest thing was petrol was filled at a well known petrol station...insurance assessor was out, sample was taken and confirmed as tainted. Total repair bill just shy of 2 and a half....insurance covered it all.

...funniest thing was petrol was filled at a well known petrol station...insurance assessor was out, sample was taken and confirmed as tainted. Total repair bill just shy of 2 and a half....insurance covered it all.

Hi, can you say what county, general area this was? (viewing boards on a phone, so user location etc isnt displayed). If there's been any articles in local papers then you could link to that article? I've burned 150l of petrol this week already so im just worried about what areas are seeing this problem.

1 fill of this stuff and the effects were obvious before the tank was empty? Nasty stuff, many more affected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Hi, can you say what county, general area this was? (viewing boards on a phone, so user location etc isnt displayed). If there's been any articles in local papers then you could link to that article? I've burned 150l of petrol this week already so im just worried about what areas are seeing this problem.

1 fill of this stuff and the effects were obvious before the tank was empty? Nasty stuff, many more affected?

Some info here,

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057291685/1

I have just rebuilt a 2010 opel Astra 1.4 due to petrol stretching....

over what period of time did it take for the damage to set in ?? 6 months, a year ??

mayo.mick wrote: »

I'm aware of the general scenario but specifics are hard to come by, I was interested specifically in paddypowereds case.

Why nothing is done about it by authorities..
    Seems easy enough to trace them to source if the journos can do it..

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/provo-gangs-run-petrol-stretching-fuel-scam-30674899.html
    The Sunday Independent last week witnessed fuel tankers being filled in south Armagh and one driving - illegally - across the Border. The area where the main fuel smuggling operations are contained is known locally as "Shatt al-Arab" after the main oil terminal in the Persian Gulf, due to the number of fuel operations there.

The latest slew of damaged car engines is in Mayo, where gardai say they have passed 86 complaints on to the Customs Service for analysis.

Despite the massive costs involved in damage to car engines and the loss of revenue to the State, no prosecutions have taken place so far, though gardai and customs are aware of most of the outlets where the adulterated petrol is being sold.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

provo petrol, should have known

it'll take a brave customs man to confront those guys

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Our Navy is effectively the pointy end of our customs service,
    _77835984_drugs.jpg

Maybe they need to get a few inland missions.
    Drugs, fuel, tobacco, guns, all benefit organised crime. Sometimes seem the government only take action against soft targets and tax the innocent. Don't want to get off topic but it really is bloody annoying. :mad:

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Don't worry, the political party that looks out for the common man, living hand to mouth, will be sure to tackle this issue that hits struggling joe public hardest.

Oh... Ah... I see.
    Maybe not then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

^^^^^^^^^^^^

The state likes to throw grannies in jail who haven't paid their dog or tv license.
    Less chance of waking up at 3 am surrounded by a crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Folks,

A quick question, if one was looking at a car to buy and was concerned if the car had symptoms of petrol stretching, what should you look out for?

Should i pay attention how the car starts from a cold start? I tested a car this evening, all looks perfect with the car, I drove the car, couldn't identify anything that would indicate an issue. Would driving the car in 5th gear at 30 mph and no sign of the car labouring prove the car is clean of petrol stretching problems?

Any feedback appreciated..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

not sure if this was posted before but came across it on facebook page, its list of stations which have a license to sell fuel, but it seems to show those stations which are owner operated and not franchised, for example the maxol in monaghan states licensee name: Maxol, trading name: Maxol, whereas others state licensee name: joe blogs, trading name: Maxol, i only have link from facebook so might not work for everyone file is on revenue.ie somewhere

http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.revenue.ie%2Fen%2Ftax%2Fexcise%2Fmineral-oil-traders%2Flicensed-auto-fuel-traders.pdf&h=kAQE8wu2tAQGm61GidCeUvP2WcYU12NOBhzYZYB_eJEWw0A&enc=AZOfbO2jUldXYrNptd7fFts9cmPcllxVESBogfjemrdXjQ-9SCAELogfVAxwzVUT1f0F5C7SeOEb1ZzwObsTG8uEWdG7QETaCQM1D-TUTDaOllwrKHxndqLaKd2pETjXZcNPQbbKmlDsB-hx8Zkr51Qq&s=1

Advertisement