Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 NFL Superbowl XLIX

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Seahawks
    overall I think it's a 50-50 game really.

That's a very high scoring prediction, I hope you're right.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,621 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think the Seahawks D will be the difference here. Seahawks to win a close game.

Great read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/21/sports/football/super-bowl-patriots-offense-has-been-just-as-dominant-as-seahawks-defense.html?_r=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I predict a fourth quarter shootout between two of the best arms in the business...

Jon Ryan and Julian Edelman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Seahawks
    walshb wrote: »
    I think the Seahawks D will be the difference here. Seahawks to win a close game.

Great read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/21/sports/football/super-bowl-patriots-offense-has-been-just-as-dominant-as-seahawks-defense.html?_r=0

How do you see the D shutting them down? Penetration on the O line? You would assume Brady will avoid the secondary as he has done, and utilise the quick short passing to get them to bite and maybe try a few deep ones then, but you have to think the game plan will be to get some run going to keep them honest and not be one dimensional and attack as in 2012 with a short passing game, it worked very well then and for me its the one big weakness in the Seahawks D, it is also a major strength of New England, takes pressure off the O line by the ball coming out fast and works great in a hurry up offence.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Seahawks
    I can see the Patriots defense being the area that defines this game.

Good and all as the Seahawks defense is, New England should be able to put up 21-25 points. Question is can they contain the Seahawks offense.

The key to this is obviously stopping the running game in the first instance, the secondary holding up against the Seattle receivers, the pass rush getting pressure, and actually managing keep Wilson in the pocket.

None of which is easy but you have to think BB will come with a good game plan to make this happen. The Patriots secondary is good enough to hold up I think, they could choose to bring 8 guys into the box, mix up some blitzes etc.

On the other side of the ball, NE will need to get their run game going. The Seattle defense is good but if you get a running game going it makes everything much easier. If Brady has to throw it 50 times they are probably not going to win.

I expect a good, close game. Hoping for a narrow NE win, something like 28-24.

Seahawks
    The secondary has been in the best shape its been for a long time so hopefully that will be a difference maker

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Paddy Power has Edelman to score first TD at 10/1, that looks like value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Seahawks
    adrian522 wrote: »
    I can see the Patriots defense being the area that defines this game.

Good and all as the Seahawks defense is, New England should be able to put up 21-25 points. Question is can they contain the Seahawks offense.

I agree completely, in fact I think the New England Defense will easily contain Seattle's receivers and contain Wilson in the pocket. New England's D is streets ahead of the Packers and has improved as the year has gone on. I think it will be a long day for Seattle.
    None of which is easy but you have to think BB will come with a good game plan to make this happen. The Patriots secondary is good enough to hold up I think, they could choose to bring 8 guys into the box, mix up some blitzes etc.
    You have to think that outside of the distraction of this week, the Patriots will be well prepared. If Seattle start slow as they did in the conference, the Patriots have the game to bury them - accurate short throws, punishing running game.

On the other side of the ball, NE will need to get their run game going. The Seattle defense is good but if you get a running game going it makes everything much easier. If Brady has to throw it 50 times they are probably not going to win.

I don't agree with this. The last time they met Brady carved them up with short passes, which effectively acted like a running game. NE are a funny team in that they don't seem to have a personality one way or the other, they will just do whatever is successful, and have no qualms about abandoning one facet of the game.
    I expect a good, close game. Hoping for a narrow NE win, something like 28-24.

I hope it is close, from a neutral's point of view, but think the Patriots will win by a couple of scores. I have lumped on the under 49.5 points so hoping for a nice low scoring game. 23 - 13 Patriots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

poldebruin wrote: »
    I don't agree with this. The last time they met Brady carved them up with short passes, which effectively acted like a running game. NE are a funny team in that they don't seem to have a personality one way or the other, they will just do whatever is successful, and have no qualms about abandoning one facet of the game.

The last time they met they also lost though. And it was a couple of years ago two when a lot of change has happened.

That's not to say I disagree with your point about Brady's throws - it's the way that Rodgers played the Seahawks defence the weekend and he had a lot of success over the middle to the likes of Cobb and Richard Rodgers when his other main guys were wide keeping Sherman honest. Unfortunately he overthrew a couple of throws or they were dropped when we needed them.

That said, we had a lot of success on the ground early that kept a lot of players in position and unless Brady shoots the lights out against that secondary then they're going to have to get some sort of ground game going. The o-line has been cohesive enough in the post-season but it's going to be really tested on Sunday - especially so if they know it's going to be just Brady making quick throws.

Must say I've been trying to figure out a winner of it all week but keep swaying back and forth. I think like Adrian has said, it could well come down to the Seahawks offence and whether the Pats deal with Wilson's ability to move out of the pocket. The Packers secondary held firm for 50 odd minutes which gave Peppers and Matthews a chance to put serious pressure on Wilson but then wilted on the final couple of drives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Seahawks
    I take it the seahawks will be playing in their home colours, patriots in white?

How do they declare who is the travelling team?

• Advertisement

Seahawks
    BKWDR wrote: »
    I take it the seahawks will be playing in their home colours, patriots in white?

How do they declare who is the travelling team?

NFC is home in odd numbers and AFC is home in even numbers is the simplest way to remember it.

Oh and I hope we are wearing white!

Still get a chuckle remembering the stats/trends for team colours int he SB and the time the Pats decided to switch to red cause of the road wins in the playoffs :)

Didnt work out so well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

I'm just here so I won't get fined.

What's the story behind Lynch's reluctance to speak to the media, did they screw him in the past or is he just contrary?

Seahawks
    DBIreland wrote: »
    I'm just here so I won't get fined.

What's the story behind Lynch's reluctance to speak to the media, did they screw him in the past or is he just contrary?

i felt bad for him in the past i thought he had social issues ala ricky williams but now I'm starting to think he just does not want to and is being stubborn about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Seahawks
    Man just wants to play football, leave him in peace. He shouldn't be forced into talking to the media. If I was him I'd pull a BB on it. "We're on to New England "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,621 ✭✭✭✭walshb

kryogen wrote: »
    How do you see the D shutting them down? Penetration on the O line? You would assume Brady will avoid the secondary as he has done, and utilise the quick short passing to get them to bite and maybe try a few deep ones then, but you have to think the game plan will be to get some run going to keep them honest and not be one dimensional and attack as in 2012 with a short passing game, it worked very well then and for me its the one big weakness in the Seahawks D, it is also a major strength of New England, takes pressure off the O line by the ball coming out fast and works great in a hurry up offence.

Yes, I reckon they will employ a fair deal of pass rushing. Brady is quality, and plays well under pressure, but give him time and he will kill you. He's not particularly good on his feet, so heavy offensive line pressure to push him back will be the key.

Seahawks
    walshb wrote: »
    Yes, I reckon they will employ a fair deal of pass rushing. Brady is quality, and plays well under pressure, but give him time and he will kill you. He's not particularly good on his feet, so heavy offensive line pressure to push him back will be the key.

I would agree in theory, but Brady has been better on his feet this season then we have ever seen him in all honesty, and I would argue that the quick short passing will counter act most of the pass rush, as it has done in the past. I think if Seattle get the run going well we are in trouble, but other then that I think we have a good shot. Very close game to call

If they bring pressure all the time they will be picked apart, if they can time it and get some good hits on Brady it has been shown in the past to put him off his rhythm so you can be sure they will be coming plenty, but their strength is the secondary and not giving up the big play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Seahawks
    kryogen wrote: »
    I would agree in theory, but Brady has been better on his feet this season then we have ever seen him in all honesty, and I would argue that the quick short passing will counter act most of the pass rush, as it has done in the past. I think if Seattle get the run going well we are in trouble, but other then that I think we have a good shot. Very close game to call

If they bring pressure all the time they will be picked apart, if they can time it and get some good hits on Brady it has been shown in the past to put him off his rhythm so you can be sure they will be coming plenty, but their strength is the secondary and not giving up the big play.

was going to say the same, Bradys footwork this year is the best I have seen him in a long long time. I think his biggest weakness now is a long deep ball, and as that is Seattles strongest defence, then I dont expect to see it often.

Seahawks
    bruschi wrote: »
    was going to say the same, Bradys footwork this year is the best I have seen him in a long long time. I think his biggest weakness now is a long deep ball, and as that is Seattles strongest defence, then I dont expect to see it often.

to be fair iv heard a lot of experts (and many ex qbs) say that as funny as it sounds you could almost regard brady as one of the better mobile qbs because of how well he moves around in the pocket (this was a few years ago i heard this) they sad the same about marino

Seahawks
    Especially after his injury which saw him miss the season he was extremely immobile in the pocket and I genuinely don't ever remember him being so light footed since his very early days, he is your archetypal pocket passer QB, he always had a good sense for where the danger was and shifted well if thats what you mean but you couldn't have said he was in a similar vein even to the likes of Luck or Rodgers with his feet to take two of todays qbs

• Advertisement

Seahawks
    Really enjoyed the interview between Sanders and Baldwin yesterday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Where's a good place to watch in Cork? Woolshed is showing it but not sure what that means, as we had to leave at halftime in Colts Broncos game. Major buzzkill. I would like to see the whole game and have a few pints but not a case of last orders half 11, game over at 3. Getting hungover in the 4th would not be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Seahawks
    Deco99 wrote: »
    Where's a good place to watch in Cork? Woolshed is showing it but not sure what that means, as we had to leave at halftime in Colts Broncos game. Major buzzkill. I would like to see the whole game and have a few pints but not a case of last orders half 11, game over at 3. Getting hungover in the 4th would not be nice.

If the woolshed in Dublin is anythign to go by id say they will show the lot. Just ring them though...

Seahawks
    Nowhere showing it in Waterford either really by the looks of things, think places are missing out at this point. There is certainly enough of a fanbase and interest level at this stage to be worth their while

Seahawks
    Deco99 wrote: »

cork admirals are holding a party in musgrave park (the dolphin side) details here
    https://www.facebook.com/corkadmiralsAFC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Seahawks
    Last minute shocker: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:12243268

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Seahawks
    Hazys wrote: »

As usual my broadband is shyte, I can't even get that vid to play :(. What team did the orangutan vote for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Seahawks
    As usual my broadband is shyte, I can't even get that vid to play :(. What team did the orangutan vote for?

Everyone should have a line in the sand that they draw, where they say reading or seeking out anymore super bowl analysis is not healthy. You, sir, have found your line.

Seahawks
    Everyone should have a line in the sand that they draw, where they say reading or seeking out anymore super bowl analysis is not healthy. You, sir, have found your line.

God dammit man! Tell me, who did the monkey pick.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Seahawks
    You really have to watch the vid, don't want to spoil it for you...
    ok,he puts on the Brady jersey eventually, after attempting to rip it apart

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Apparently the one interview Marshawn Lynch did was with E! News, the dude is just bizarre.

• Advertisement

Seahawks
    so brandon browner has stated that after the game the l.o.b. are his friends but during the game he will be telling his guys to target earl thomas shoulder and shermans elbow and break them if they can. iv no doubt these things are said in every locker room but to say that to the media particularly in the current nfl environmentis idiotic.

in fairness to sherman he responded well to it he gets a lot of bad press so credit where its due.

Seahawks
    The entirelty of Superbowl week is a non sense, media types need to fill an entire week of news items but there is nothing to report on, hence we get "stories" such as this or the Lynch not talking to the media. There is never any actual news.

Hopefully the game will get here before everyone's head explodes.

Seahawks
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/29/another-false-alarm-at-patriots-hotel/

Another false fire alarm in the middle of the night in the Patriots hotel.

The hotel may want to step up their security a little bit.

Seahawks
    Hazys wrote: »
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/29/another-false-alarm-at-patriots-hotel/

Another false fire alarm in the middle of the night in the Patriots hotel.

The hotel may want to step up their security a little bit.

it something the nfl needs to somehow clamp down on its happened the eagles a few times over the last few years most recently before there thanksgiving game with the cowboys

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Pats have been woken up during the night for the second time since they arrived in AZ.. surely someone is taking the piss..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

should have read up a post or 2 :pac:

Seahawks
    This preview looks like its gonna be hilarious:

Seahawks

:D

gronk and skittles on conan tonight looks like it will be funny

edit:never mind beaten to the punch

Seahawks
    :D

gronk and skittles on conan tonight looks like it will be funny

edit:never mind beaten to the punch

Just call me the Adam Schefter of Boards :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Seahawks
    it something the nfl needs to somehow clamp down on its happened the eagles a few times over the last few years most recently before there thanksgiving game with the cowboys

In all fairness. It's not really anything to do with the NFL. I'm not sure what they could do about it! Up to the team to put people on Fire alarm control! :pac:

• Advertisement

Seahawks
    SantryRed wrote: »
    In all fairness. It's not really anything to do with the NFL. I'm not sure what they could do about it! Up to the team to put people on Fire alarm control! :pac:

ya sorry i meant the nfl or franchises need to do exactly that not sure if they would though its a lot of people to cover a lot of fire alarms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Apparently its much ado about nothing. The alarm was set off in a different part of the complex completely to the Pats and didn't interfere on their sleep. Well that's according to Jason La Canfora (IIRC).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Is it just me out of the neutrals that are struggling to get excited about this? Very strange and I can't even put my finger on why, but it's just not getting my pulse racing at all. Maybe it will be different once the day of the game comes around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Seahawks
    Paully D wrote: »
    Is it just me out of the neutrals that are struggling to get excited about this? Very strange and I can't even put my finger on why, but it's just not getting my pulse racing at all. Maybe it will be different once the day of the game comes around.

No I'm the same. No underdog to root for or anything. I put money on it to keep me excited. Pats by 7-12 points.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I'm sure I'll be excited about the game on Sunday. The over-analysis of every single detail does get tiring though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭NotYourYear20

Seahawks
    SantryRed wrote: »

Yet if it was happening in the Seahawks hotel, I've no doubt some media fruits would probably be blaming the Pats...#Alarmgate.
    Paully D wrote: »
    Is it just me out of the neutrals that are struggling to get excited about this?

As a neutral myself I'm really looking forward to it.

Seahawks
    Yet if it was happening in the Seahawks hotel, I've no doubt some media fruits would probably be blaming the Pats...#Alarmgate..

no they would not this happens more regularly than you would believe and generally its the opposing teams fans get blamed never the organisation.

Seahawks
    Some of ye might be interested to see the joint press conference that Bill & Pete conducted yesterday, there was a nice bit of craic between them at times....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Seahawks
    As a neutral I am definitely also struggling to get really excited about it. Off to firm up final bets now and listen to a few pods so excited or not, I'll immerse myself in coverage regardless.

• Advertisement

Seahawks
    My main problem is if either of these teams were playing anyone else I'd be rooting for that other team. I dislike the Seahawks more than I dislike the Patriots. So I'll be rooting for the Seahawks to lose more than the Pats to win.

Hoping for a close game if nothing else.

Advertisement