Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Ebay lesson #27: Never assume you won't win something and bid on another version of the same thing.

A practical example being my winning the Street Fighter II Snes box, but being sure I wouldn't and bidding on the Starwing set as well.

I now look forward to both arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Heres another very annoying ebay fact.

If you bid on something and you're outbid, you can't go and buy the same item somewhere else until that auction is over. As your bid is still considered 'live'.

The following happened to me a few years ago.

I bid on The Lion King for the Megadrive.

Someone outbid me.

I didn't want to go any higher than that, so bid on another Lion King auction and won.

The person who'd outbid in the first auction withdrew his bid (because apparantly it was his son messing with his ebay account) therefore by default, I was the winning bidder on that too.

I contacted ebay telling them how stupid the above was, and they pretty much said them's the rules. If you've bid on something, don't bid on the same item again until the first auction is completely over. Me arse.

Thats when you need to get sneaky and use the 'withdraw bid' option. If you do it in the last 24 hours of an auction you don't get any hassle about it. Yeah, I'm a bad person, I know.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

So Pokémon white FINALLY arrived today. There goes any hope of me playing anything else for the next...while. Only 4 hours into it but loving it so far :D I chose not to look at the new 'mon when they were leaked so it's all new and interesting to me! If only I could understand what's going on :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ebay lesson #27: Never assume you won't win something and bid on another version of the same thing.

A practical example being my winning the Street Fighter II Snes box, but being sure I wouldn't and bidding on the Starwing set as well.

I now look forward to both arriving.

well if you'd like to change it for a mario all stars box just let me know :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Ordered a copy of this today:

AtariCity_poster.jpg

Once I get it framed I'm sure I'll be allowed to display it!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

What is that Batari?

Master of the Universe

Veccy arrived! Made the journey from Cork to Bray and then from Bray through Ballybrack. At that point I had to carry it to the Dart and from the Dart to my apartment. In the lashing rain! And it still works 100%.

Remember the dodgy cart slot? There's nothing wrong with it at all. The first time I tried a game it worked instantly. I guess the guy just didn't have the game fully in as it took a bit of effort/pressure to do so.

I am now in Vector heaven.

I took some pics. Couldn't resist. They're not the best as the light is low, but they'll do for now :)

Gotta love that logo.
    6.jpg

The flash is really showing up a lot of the blemishes. It's not as bad as it looks here. Needs a good wipe down with a damp cloth. I'll see if I can cover up some of those dings. Shouldn't be too hard.

4.jpg

The overlays really are great! I love the look of the games without them, just the black and white lines. But the overlays add colour to the lines. One of the games, Armour Attack makes them all green. The one I have here for starship is great, as it makes most blue, but in the middle there's a yellow square. (Which as you can imagine, makes the vector lines yellow in that little spot around your crosshair)

7.jpg

3.jpg

Lights out! Can't really capture this properly in the dark without a tripod, but it looks amazing! The lines really glow like neon. The overlays make it magic.

1.jpg

I love this controller, it's lovely. My one seems to be in decent enough condition too. Also just needs a clean up.

8.jpg

Here's all the different overlays I got with it, which is fantastic. (Must ask that seller if he can find those games). I'll be getting a Vecflash anyway, so will be playing all of these soon enough.

11.jpg

10.jpg

9-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

On a scale of 1 to 10 my jelousy is 11 at the moment.:D
    Sweet Vectrex

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Thats some lovely piece of kit there dude. Awesome. I reckon pics can't do those vector graphics justice. The overlays are cool too, what a great idea they are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

That was an absolute steal! Gorgeous machine, enjoy it dude!

Master of the Universe

Thanks guys :)

Yeah you're right Andrew76, photos really don't do the graphics justice at all. They're super sharp and super smooth. It looks like nothing else. I thought the overlays would just be a gimmick and I wouldn't really bother with them. Man was I wrong!

On another good note, the shell is made from a hardened plastic. Those white dings are just scraping off without leaving any marks. Should have it looking like new after a bit of work.

Still over the moon that the cart slot is working perfectly. That's the second time I've bought something on ebay now that was 'broken'...but was just down to the seller not being able to get it working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Augmerson wrote: »
    What is that Batari?

That, my friend, is Atari City.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Re: The Vectrex, here are some resources that are great..
    http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2009/06/vectrex-101-a-beginners-guide.html
    Have a look at the linked project to build a 3D imager!
    http://www.madtronix.com/html/3d_imager.html

There was a resource out there describing how to make overlays with transparencys, an inkjet printer and tippex but it seems to have disappeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I hate you right now o1s1n :D You and your ebay prowess kill me sometimes :pac:

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Re: The Vectrex, here are some resources that are great..
    http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2009/06/vectrex-101-a-beginners-guide.html
    Have a look at the linked project to build a 3D imager!
    http://www.madtronix.com/html/3d_imager.html

There was a resource out there describing how to make overlays with transparencys, an inkjet printer and tippex but it seems to have disappeared.

Thanks for the links! :) That 3D imager project is amazing. I wonder is that circuit hard to build?

I just heard back from the guy selling those Vecflash carts. Says he has some of the micro SD ones left. \O/
    EnterNow wrote: »
    I hate you right now o1s1n :D You and your ebay prowess kill me sometimes :pac:

You know, before I would have said 'blah blah, saved searches, be wise, blah blah, effort, hunting, blah blah'.

But then a Vectrex in Ireland just popped up randomly while I was bored one evening browsing all consoles/Games for sale Ireland.

So, in conclusion, I am just a jammy bastard. That's all there is to it :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

How much is Richard looking for the VecMulti?
    Might upgrade my Vecflash if they are reasonable.
    Also he has a next gen of Flashboy for the VirtualBoy, this time with a battery back up, so you can keep save games and high scores.

Master of the Universe

Got something really cool today from Andrew76 (Thanks again!). A Vendetta PCB. Or as it's known as in Japan, Crime Fighters 2.

It's an original Konami board too. No bootleg here. Konami chips/logo all over it -

vendetta1.jpg

Before Metal Slug came along this was my favourite game in the arcade as a kid. It took me bloody years to remember what the hell it was though as I was really young playing it. All I remembered was one of the characters looked like Hulk Hogan.

I gave it a quick boot up on the supergun (I tried to wait until I got to put it in the cab..couldn't resist though!) works perfectly.

DSC_0769.jpg

DSC_0773.jpg

Master of the Universe

How much is Richard looking for the VecMulti?
    Might upgrade my Vecflash if they are reasonable.
    Also he has a next gen of Flashboy for the VirtualBoy, this time with a battery back up, so you can keep save games and high scores.

He said 85 dollars delivered. but I'm not sure if that's just delivered to the US or rest of the world? Any idea where he is?

Master of the Universe

While I'm being a multi posting photo whore. Just put some fresh screen protectors on my Gamegear and Nomad.

These are made for the DS but fit the Nomad, Gamegear and original gameboy perfectly. Or anything else with an LCD that size. They go on easy too. Just make sure to give the screens a good wipe down first.

screencovers.jpg

Can get them here. Because the DS has two screens you get two per pack.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19245

The Gamegear is back from surgery by the way. Cap kit installed. Sound and picture are back to fresh out of the factory quality. Cheers for that Enternow. :)

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    well if you'd like to change it for a mario all stars box just let me know :)

I'm not sure what to do yet. I alwyas wanted either a SFII Turbo or Starwing SNES, ever since they were released. No idea why those two, but I'd definitely prefer them to the All Stars box. And now I have both :rolleyes:

I may trade one of them though, I just can't decide which one, if at all, but it'd be for something other than another boxed SNES :D Maybe a NES or a nice bundle of a few SNES games. I'll keep you posted anyway.

How many boxed SNES's do you have, and how many are there to get? (Don't worry, I'm not gonna become a rival colletor any more than I already accidentally have)

I got Bioshock 2 from Argos today for 12.99!
    Not bad, might try to finish it this time around!

I got Bioshock 2 from Argos today for 12.99!
    Not bad, might try to finish it this time around!

I was so looking forward to that game, the first one blew me away. But it's the same stuff all over again I felt, nothing new/different, more like a giant DLC pack. I got about 20% in and left it out of boredom :( Still, 13 quid is a sweet price.

Master of the Universe

Awh, when I saw you'd posted in this thread I thought -

'OMFG DID HE GET THE VECTREX ALREADY?!?!?!'

o1s1n wrote: »
    Awh, when I saw you'd posted in this thread I thought -

'OMFG DID HE GET THE VECTREX ALREADY?!?!?!'

Lord no, in a very strange way I'm dreading it arriving. Imagine the fear of plugging a veccie in thats made it's way from Holland, through the red light district, into France, passed by all the fires & strikes, up through into the UK where it's gonna be strip searched for printer powder, turned upside down & inside out over the Irish sea into Irish customs, where it's then presumed to be carrying psycho-actives & strip searched again, then is put on the handlebars of my local posties bike to be bumped & hit for half an hour before being thrown at me....:eek: It can't possible survive all that :D

Although for the price of the postage it could have it's own private jet chartered to take it to me. It could be sitting at a window seat right now, sipping electrolytic fluid reading 'What Transistor" magazine :p

EnterNow wrote: »
    Although for the price of the postage it could have it's own private jet chartered to take it to me. It could be sitting at a window seat right now, sipping electrolytic fluid reading 'What Transistor" magazine :p

It'd be worth it, oh yes....

I wonder if we could get all the regular posters here to pick up a Vectrex, in time?
    How cool would that be?
    I could see a Retro mag feature on that for sure!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

We could start up the first Vectrx convention. Just like the jaguar has jagfest we could organise Vecfest.

Master of the Universe

Then we could all bring one along to the beers. A room full of vector monitors. What a beautiful thing that would be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

o1s1n wrote: »
    Then we could all bring one along to the beers. A room full of vector monitors. What a beautiful thing that would be!

Think of the radiation coming from a room full of Vectex monitors it'd put Sellafield to shame:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement