Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

conzy wrote: »
    Took the 325 for a spin today now with power steering and new droplinks! After a few days of driving a 307 1.6HDI i have re-fallen in love :pac:

Cant beat it when your getting bored of your car,
    Borrow a "regular" car for a week, get back into your own and fall in love all over again! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

gollywog wrote: »

Cant beat it when your getting bored of your car,
    Borrow a "regular" car for a week, get back into your own and fall in love all over again! :D

Sounds true!
    Drove the gf's 1. 4 focus for a week when we were on hols. Getting back into the ST was great fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

My car is feeling abit sluggish after 5-6 weeks, may need a remap tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    My car is feeling abit sluggish after 5-6 weeks, may need a remap tbh

Drive a 1.2 Polo for a few days then get back into the ST. Cheapest remap ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Or your 1.4 Octavia, if you still have it. ;)

• Advertisement

dar83 wrote: »
    Or your 1.4 Octavia, if you still have it. ;)

Brother actually started a new job there a week ago and his vectras gearbox went, forst night after asking me could he use it for afew days he took it to the local shop and left it outside the house with it's lights interior lights radio left on for 4 hours, first thing i need to do tomorrow on my 2 days off is to jump start it. Poor thing was lit up like a christmas tree.

Don't know if anyone here has a 1.4 VAG but they make such a sick/sad sounding noise when you get into them when battery is low/dead it's like a sick robotic whine :(

Need to get my act together over the next 2 days and clean it and get it sold tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I know all of us who post here are car enthusiasts, so obviously were more likely to be wary about tyres,
    but your right, how can people be so carefree about driving around on tyres with almost zero thread left?
    Its scary to think about. I noticed my sisters car had NO, and I mean NO thread left on her tyres a little while ago, and she drives her kids about in that car.
    I Made her aware of it and she bought a good set of bridgestones.
    Was so worried about her and the kids before that

my friends sister bought her first car all by herself recently..

micra automagic.

i only looked at the tyres on it.

all 4 different brands, two are "nvirjnefvjernfdvioe" and one triangle and one "一塊狗屎輪胎的" on it - not a joke,

they had about 2.0 - 2.5 mm left on them and she thought they were new cos they were shiny.........

theres a lot missing from our road education system.

slovakia/germany etc has a great system for learning about cars ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

I know all of us who post here are car enthusiasts, so obviously were more likely to be wary about tyres,
    but your right, how can people be so carefree about driving around on tyres with almost zero thread left?
    Its scary to think about. I noticed my sisters car had NO, and I mean NO thread left on her tyres a little while ago, and she drives her kids about in that car.
    I Made her aware of it and she bought a good set of bridgestones.
    Was so worried about her and the kids before that

micra automagic.

all 4 different brands, two are "nvirjnefvjernfdvioe" and one triangle and one "一塊狗屎輪胎的" on it - not a joke,

they had about 2.0 - 2.5 mm left on them and she thought they were new cos they were shiny.........

Yes exactly,
    They just font know the difference sometimes, its a scary thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

micra automagic.

But that tyre dept isn't that bad, since the legal minimum tyre tread depth is 1.6 mm. Although them makes of tyres sound awful! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

But that tyre dept isn't that bad, since the legal minimum tyre tread depth is 1.6 mm. Although them makes of tyres sound awful! :eek:

You have to be having a laugh, I swear this playing thick stuff gets on my nerves no end...

• Advertisement

You have to be having a laugh, I swear this playing thick stuff gets on my nerves no end...

Playing think? :confused: I never pretend to be stupid. But you have to remember Alan, not everyone here is as intelligent as yourself and that comment just disappoints me.

EDIT: 1.6MM is the minimum legal tyre dept? What am I missing?

... under 3mm is an nct fail advisory. Time to replace really, New would have about 8mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

RoverJames wrote: »
    ... under 3mm is an nct fail advisory.
    And under 1.6mm should be 'fail-shoot driver on sight'

... under 3mm is an nct fail advisory. Time to replace really, New would have about 8mm.
    Oh ya, I know that, but I was talking about the legal tyre dept . I was up at the local mechanics recently and he was telling me about a chap that had 1mm tyre dept on the back and the wires were coming through the tyres on the front. He wanted to put the back tyre onto the front and get new tyres for the back. Which is just stupidity. So the mechanic would only sell him 4 new tyres. But it wont suprise you that this chap was a boy racer, it was a 2ltr petrol corsa, insured as a 1ltr. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Man flu. Marvellous :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

dgt wrote: »
    Man flu. Marvellous :mad:

I've a dose of something awful as well! It's going around apparently.

When you're talking 2.0 mm versus a kick in the face 1.6mm... We do realise how small .4 of mm is? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

EDIT: 1.6MM is the minimum legal tyre dept? What am I missing?

3.0mm is the minimum safety limit for a tyre, 1.6mm is the legal minimum.

At 3.0mm tyres are down to working at somewhere in the region of 20-25% of designed operating limits.

Its gets blurred though as many premium brands at 3.0mm will still have as good or better traction then some cheap tyres with the full 8mm of thread.

When you're talking 2.0 mm versus a kick in the face 1.6mm... We do realise how small .4 of mm is? lol

Ya, I suppose.
    3.0mm is the minimum safety limit for a tyre, 1.6mm is the legal minimum.

At 3.0mm tyres are down to working at somewhere in the region of 20-25% of designed operating limits.

Its gets blurred though as many premium brands at 3.0mm will still have as good or better traction then some cheap tyres with the full 8mm of thread.

Ya, I'm trying to get my dad to start buying pirellis. If the minimum safety limit for a tyre is 3.0mm and if it has to be 3.0mm or more for the n.c.t. how come they don't make 3.0mm the legal tyre dept? I think it would make more sense....

It doesnt have to be 3mm for nct.

I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a 2ltr corsa.

• Advertisement

There are, redtops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I wonder is that the same 2L Corsa that was up on DoneDeal a while back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Not from the factory, but there are quite a few 2.0 and 2.0T corsa's lurking about, especially in the UK.

It doesnt have to be 3mm for nct.

Oh dose it not?

Not from the factory, but there are quite a few 2.0 and 2.0T corsa's lurking about, especially in the UK.
    is that the same story with the vauxall nova? Im unsu re about them.

is that the same story with the vauxall nova? Im unsu re about them.

Yup.

Nova's are the old Corsa (Just incase you didn't know).

There are, redtops.

That's news to me :)

Oh dose it not?

Nope, below 3 but over 1.6 and they have on the sheet its a fail advisory.

C20XELET installed, 1 litre on book

• Advertisement

I've a dose of something awful as well! It's going around apparently.

I suppose it was inevitable considering where I work... I have an appetite for destruction, co workers pestered with my sneezing and their ears bent listening to me whinging :pac:

And I ain't finished till 4... Starting at 7 isn't normally bad but add the flu and the day draggggggs by :(

Nope, below 3 but over 1.6 and they have on the sheet its a fail advisory.

ah yes, I see.

Yup.

Nova's are the old Corsa (Just incase you didn't know).

ah yes, didnt they bring out the vauxall corsa then, with the nova body. Then they changed the shape. AFAIk.

EDIT: But I suppose its all the same thing at the end of the day....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Did ya find the sport button?

I had one of them as a rental and was stuck in economy mode for the first hour or so.
    Painfully slow :mad:

When I found the "Sport" mode it was a LOT better.

Found the sport setting:D
    Now it goes a little better, but its nearly undriveable in traffic,
    So normal in traffic, and sprt when it opens out a bit.
    Thanks mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

All this talk of tyres, had to get a new set of rears today.Previous pair had lasted 6 months and just under 6000 miles. :eek:

All this talk of tyres, had to get a new set of rears today.Previous pair had lasted 6 months and just under 6000 miles. :eek:

Worth it no doubt:D:D

• Advertisement

Worth it no doubt:D:D

My wallet doesn't think so :(

My wallet doesn't think so :(

Ah, wallets are a moany bunch, better of not paying too much attention!

Tax is due at the end of the month,oh well...

Oh, hadn't driven my car in the last week really, and even before that I had just been commuting. Went for a bit of a blast down some twisties...:D She's quicker than I remember! That noise...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Had myself a shot ofa Subaru Impreza Sti Type Uk today my god i loved the power of it when the turbo kicks in, although not big on the interior its certainly going on my list of possibilitys next year when I change the car :o.

• Advertisement

Had myself a shot ofa Subaru Impreza Sti Type Uk today my god i loved the power of it when the turbo kicks in, although not big on the interior its certainly going on my list of possibilitys next year when I change the car :o.

Get a hatchback version and we can grow the boardsies hot hatch collection

That noise...

I highly doubt it's as refined, smooth or as quiet as a 406...

:pac::pac::pac:

Which leads me onto the multi storey car park, where there was a jam and I decided to see if I could sort it out. As I wandered down to the ca at the barrier my car drowned out the sound of the rest in the queue, even from the very front :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    Get a hatchback version and we can grow the boardsies hot hatch collection

Yeh never know I do like the hatchback version especially the 08 one on Carzone at the momment looks sweet, but Im thinking that will be a bit over what im willing to spend but we will see ya never know :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

just for love of god get the spoiler edition one! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

2002 Renault Vel Satis V6 3.0DCI automatic........YAY or NAY What say ye? comfort check. auto check.
    service book check. garaged check.

Is this like the rest of Renault from that period, dodgy electrics or is it a better buy....

TBH I'd love to get my hands on an Avantime but its 10000euro here for a 2002:eek: while in germany one can be picked up for 3000:rolleyes:, why couldnt I have moved to germany

kupus wrote: »
    2002 Renault Vel Satis V6 3.0DCI automatic........YAY or NAY What say ye? comfort check. auto check.
    service book check. garaged check.

Is this like the rest of Renault from that period, dodgy electrics or is it a better buy....

TBH I'd love to get my hands on an Avantime but its 10000euro here for a 2002:eek: while in germany one can be picked up for 3000:rolleyes:, why couldnt I have moved to germany

I don't like the look of it. :(

EDIT: They seem to have a common problem of.....
    For the last month it has started randomly coming up with FAULT IN FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM on the display, this coincides with the engine going into limp home (reduced power) mode

source - http://www.vel-satis.org/forum/vel-satis-questions/3-0-dci-fault-in-fuel-injection-system

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

so just like alot of renaults ive reviewed, pity I though this might be a little different as it was their flagship model from that time
    Avantime do anything for you??

Avantime yay

Vel Satis.... My old principal is had one. He looked stupid in it and I think it broke down on him more than often too as he often drove his sons car in :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Right lads, getting slightly mad ideas here. Well, for the future actually.

Changing job, and as there's no parking, I'll be using the bus for commuting. So no need for a daysul car, as the annual mileage will drop to about half (8- 10,000 km per year).

Been thinking 525 or 728. Good idea/ bad idea?

If it were me I'd be going the other way with engine size....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement