Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was Irelands lowest moment?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Electing terrorists like Gerry Adams to represent the people of Ireland. Shameful and disgusting, the rest of the civilized world looks on in amazement at a nation that glorifies child-killing scumbags.

The rest of the "civilized world" have elected far worse people in their time, so I wouldn't be too worried about what they think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Leftist wrote: »
    Awful reponse.

Tell me, how was his post an attempt to take the thread off topic?

can't answer than can you? just rename the thread to something about stuff that happend to us, but was not our fault.. but catchier.

Then we can all sit about eating potatos and trading stories about the brits.

I can answer that actually.

His post was to call Gerry Adams a child murderer.
    If you read this forum from time to time you'd know that Republican threads pop up and tend to go round and round with the same arguments. I think you'd have to be naive to at least not question if the poster was looking for a reaction given it was his "first post". Of course he could be genuine but I was entitled to state that he might not be. No big deal.

BTW if you read the thread you'd see plenty of things that were caused by the Irish government and not at the hands 'of the brits'. A bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Electing terrorists like Gerry Adams to represent the people of Ireland. Shameful and disgusting, the rest of the civilized world looks on in amazement at a nation that glorifies child-killing scumbags.

he was only elected by some people in some areas ( west Belfast, Louth ) .And in fairness he has different opinions now to the 70's and 80's when ( most people believe ) he was an IRA leader in Belfast and responsible for bloody Friday bombings, the abduction of Jean McColville etc.

Irelands lowest moment to me was going from boom to bust / IMF , not to mention Dustin on the eurovision

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

LordSutch wrote: »
    I seem to remember a documentary about Cromwell on the TV last year (RTE)? and I also remember many Cromwell hating posters on boards.ie eating humble pie when it turned out that Cromwells main attractions in Ireland were not the Irish persay, but the English Royalist army (who came here for the battle), that's not to deny that cromwell killed Irish people, but me thinks the circumstances were somewhat complicated at the time,

So complicated that he identified the Catholic Irish as a permanent threat to English interests and set about instituting the Penal Laws that plunged the vast majority of the country into penury for centuries. He then decided to engage in systematic slavery and deportation which resulted in a large percentage of the population dying.

I know it might pain you to admit that the English approach to colonising Ireland wasn't entirely benevolent, but there's no need to window dress your sycophantic rubbish with a load of historical inaccuracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

I seem to remember a documentary about Cromwell on the TV last year (RTE)? and I also remember many Cromwell hating posters on boards.ie eating humble pie when it turned out that Cromwells main attractions in Ireland were not the Irish persay, but the English Royalist army (who came here for the battle), that's not to deny that cromwell killed Irish people, but me thinks the circumstances were somewhat complicated at the time, with Ireland being the battle ground.

The 1845-1852 fammine was obviously a low point for the whole island.
    The ROI staying out of WWII was also a low point IMO.

Why do you derail debates to introduce your Brit-loving perspective? Did you have an unhappy childhood or are you just being a prick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Miley & Fidelma in the barn.

Jesus, Mary & Holy Saint Joseph and poor Biddy in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Augmerson wrote: »
    If they could have invaded France, Holland, Belgium, Denmark, Norway, Greece, Poland, Czechoslovakia, the Soviet Union, Yugoslavia they could have easily invaded Ireland. There just needed to be the will to do it.

But they were too busy looking for the Holy Grail.

No, they couldn't have. Unlike any of those countries, Ireland is an island with Britain between it and continental Europe. If they couldn't get over the channel, they couldn't have got to us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Bosco with the hookers and coke in Miami. Or was that Ben Dunne???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

No, they couldn't have. Unlike any of those countries, Ireland is an island with Britain between it and continental Europe. If they couldn't get over the channel, they couldn't have got to us.

They managed it in Crete.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The Clerical Child Abuse scandal/Magdalene Laundries;

I'd sooner see the economy go to pot than see any more children/young women being hurt like this again.

The Troubles;

Senseless, mindless violence perpetrated by the lowest dregs of society imo. And for no real reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

120+ replies and no mention of bloody sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

They managed it in Crete.

Yeah, because the entire RAF and Royal Navy wasn't there to stop them over friendly territory and with radar. Without wanting to sound too pompous here, I know what im talking about. No one with any real knowledge of the situation will tell you Ireland could have been invaded while the UK was still in the fight. It literally wouldn't have been possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Personally I would have went for something like this

Why is the reg blurred out? It's not like anyone else on the planet has a range rover that looks so horrible.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Not the lowest by any stretch but the Americanisation of the Dublin/Irish Accent is quite worrying :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Today KPMG stole my shoes.
    No seriously.
    They seized control of my work place today and will not allow me to retrieve my €55 pair of shoes back from inside.

€55 is a lot of money to me :-(

that's low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

The self loathing/inferiority complex is laughable. I wonder do the people of other nations analyse themselves to bits like it's done here? I'm guessing not.
    Seaneh wrote: »
    It's ****ing everywhere.

It's not half as bad here as it is in most European countries. Never mind the rest of the world.
    Yeh it's funny how some people like to make out that Ireland is like Bolivia or somewhere - sorry folks, we ain't anywhere near that bad-ass! :pac:
    crap kip that has always been full of everything that nobody wants.
    What does that even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,580 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Being taxed for making the sacrifices to obtain your own family home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

FTA69 wrote: »
    So complicated that he identified the Catholic Irish as a permanent threat to English interests and set about instituting the Penal Laws that plunged the vast majority of the country into penury for centuries. He then decided to engage in systematic slavery and deportation which resulted in a large percentage of the population dying.

I know it might pain you to admit that the English approach to colonising Ireland wasn't entirely benevolent, but there's no need to window dress your sycophantic rubbish with a load of historical inaccuracy.

I honestly thought the docu (Fergal Keane)? painted cromwell in a different light and that his real foe in Ireland were the English Royalists? but I will admit that this may be total inaccurate rubbish and that I misunderstood, in which case 'Hands up' I was totally wrong in post #120.
    WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Why do you derail debates to introduce your Brit-loving perspective? Did you have an unhappy childhood or are you just being a prick?

Apologies to you too WilyCoyote re post#120 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85021160&postcount=120 presuming that I was wrong.

As I say, that was the impression I 'mistakenly' got . . . . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

bumper234 wrote: »
    Yet George W Bush is treated like a hero By millions of Americans and Obama get the Nobel peace prize for drone bombing innocents. Yeah Gerry Adams is way worse:rolleyes:

He is no better, that's for sure. Just because the yanks are doing it, that is no reason for us to follow. A murdering terrorist is a murdering terrorist wherever they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The Troubles;

Senseless, mindless violence perpetrated by the lowest dregs of society imo. And for no real reason.

...sure they just did it for the laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The child molesting Id say

The rest of the "civilized world" have elected far worse people in their time, so I wouldn't be too worried about what they think.

I think we should be more worried that people in Ireland would vote for Adams than what other countries think of them for doing it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Yeah, because the entire RAF and Royal Navy wasn't there to stop them over friendly territory and with radar. Without wanting to sound too pompous here, I know what im talking about. No one with any real knowledge of the situation will tell you Ireland could have been invaded while the UK was still in the fight. It literally wouldn't have been possible.

No worries mate you don't sound pompous at all, threads off topic anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The day St Patrick arrived

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    He is no better, that's for sure. Just because the yanks are doing it, that is no reason for us to follow. A murdering terrorist is a murdering terrorist wherever they are.

I didn't say it was right....Also Adams was voted in wayyyyy before either Bush or Obama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Nodin wrote: »
    ...sure they just did it for the laugh.

I hear your sarcasm, even so, the Troubles were no laughing matter, and the IRA notched up more than their fair shair of the killings.

THall04 wrote: »
    The Stardust fire and how the families of the victims were treated in the aftermath.

Thinking about it it was the signs of things to come. Irish law made a huge statement that the state will always let greedy capitalists off scott free where they have committed blatant negligence on those they are meant to serve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I hear your sarcasm, even so, the Troubles were no laughing matter, and the IRA notched up more than their fair shair of the killings.

....they weren't and they did, but "Senseless, mindless violence perpetrated by the lowest dregs of society imo. And for no real reason." is a woejous misrepresentation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

the Troubles were no laughing matter, and the IRA notched up more than their fair shair of the killings.
    Wow, really? That's such new information.

• Advertisement

Wow, really? That's such new information.

Not new, but we should never forget all the bloodshed.

Advertisement