Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was Irelands lowest moment?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Also Maynooth College was established by the Crown in the 1790s, so priests needn't be swanning off to get educated on the Continent and coming back with revolutionary ideas. The RCC was a influential powerhouse in Ireland long before '22.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Yep and then Sepp Blatter laughed about Ireland being the 33rd team

In fairness who didn't laugh at that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

The Battle of Kinsale [1601] when we had the Spaniards inside, the Paddies outside and the Brits caught in the middle.
    Somehow we nodded off, took our eye off the ball - probably due to drunkenness - and let a foreign army, riddled with disease, desertion and casualties break out and turn the tables on us.
    As old Mr Haney from Green Acres would say, "We let ourselves in for a whole heap of trouble" that day and have been paying for it since!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

OMG, MLOD, FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Bambi wrote: »
    I'd imagine the ould famines were fairly low points.

exactly. while some of the other points mentioned are low moments, the famine is quite clearly the worst moment/period in the history of this country. nothing else comes close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

Linda Martin "performing" Get Lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Kirby92

One I feel strongly about that hasn't been mentioned....

Staying neutral in WW2.

DeValera offering condolences to the Nazi Germany Ambassador in Dublin after Hitler killed himself.

The way Irish soldiers who joined the British forces were treated after returning from WW2. The Starvation Order meant they were barred from state jobs, refused military pensions and faced with widespread discrimination by the general public.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

FTA69 wrote: »
    This notion that the church only came to prominence in the 1920s is flawed to be honest. The Catholic Church has had a massive influence in Irish society for centuries. "Official" type Catholicism developed in the 1800s with Paul Cullen who transformed the Irish church into a disciplined and over-arching body that was also extremely politically active. The Catholic Church controlled Irish national schools a good 40 years before independence. The Brits realised that alienating the vast majority of the Irish people and allying solely with a small Protestant ascendancy was untenable, as such they sought to ally with the Catholic middle-class, key amongst which was the church who consistantly opposed all revolutionary movements that emerged. It was an official British act which bestowed the education system to the Church.

Ireland wasn't some sort of secular state pre-1922.
    Indeed well said and I won't disagree with any of the above but the point I was trying to make was that the nation was to quick to let the catholic church retain their powers for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Jaysus some people really can't see beyond what was in the papers recently.

Ireland is in great shape at the moment relative to the totality of its history. Maybe 2001 was our nadir to date? But all things considered, this is a golden age for Ireland relatively speaking.

Famine, Cromwell, Penal Laws, Plantations, The War of Independence, early decades of the Free State and Catholic Church transgressions of the time - so much shameful history to choose from that involved people being killed or marginalised because of their religion or personal life choices. Williams and the Sunday World trying to sell their latest book off the back of an imaginary 'Gangland Crime Crisis' (Ireland is one of the safest countries in the world) pales in comparison and warrants no mention in this thread.
    Agree totally also people saying the savita case, really our lowest moment dont think so there has been far far worse in ireland, the only recent ones i would really consider would be all the child abuse scandals murphy report ect and the day the IMF rolled into town i can honestly say that was the day i felt lowest about ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Today, when it seems like 9 out of 10 Ireland's residents seem to find nothing good to say about the country and are quick to broadcast it yet slow to do anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Thierry Henry the bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Banning yore ma jokes on AH.

Sad days.

Death of Brian Boru

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

When people went from embracing Thatcherism (which was bad enough) to the all out insanity of calling for sterilisation on AH.

I don't recognise Ireland anymore :(

Oh and the uberpats who take any criticism of the aul' sod as a personal insult :D

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

the day the music died...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

crap kip that has always been full of everything that nobody wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

The Battle of Kinsale [1601] when we had the Spaniards inside, the Paddies outside and the Brits caught in the middle.
    Somehow we nodded off, took our eye off the ball - probably due to drunkenness - and let a foreign army, riddled with disease, desertion and casualties break out and turn the tables on us.
    As old Mr Haney from Green Acres would say, "We let ourselves in for a whole heap of trouble" that day and have been paying for it since!

A documentary I viewed recently blamed the loss on the fact that the Irish had no stirrups on their horses

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Kirby92 wrote: »
    One I feel strongly about that hasn't been mentioned....

Staying neutral in WW2.

DeValera offering condolences to the Nazi Germany Ambassador in Dublin after Hitler killed himself.

The way Irish soldiers who joined the British forces were treated after returning from WW2. The Starvation Order meant they were barred from state jobs, refused military pensions and faced with widespread discrimination by the general public.
    Ireland was neutral in name only as the nation favoured the allies by sending any pilots who were shot down to the boarder where it was made easy for them to get back into the fight. Any Axis pilots or U- Boat crews who ended up here sat the rest of the war out. As for DeValera he was a small minded man who was never up to the task of leading a nation and it is really only now that people are starting to see that fact.

Now as you are on about the Irish soldiers who fought in WWII you have to remember any Irishman who left the Irish army was technically a deserter no matter how noble the cause was the truth of it is that they did leave Ireland in the emergency and had no right to expect anything when they returned home.

Irishmen who were not serving in the Irish armed forces and went to fight the Nazi's should be praised and it was of course wrong how they were treated when they returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

When you couldn't get a Wispa bar for love nor money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

the day they brought in the euro
    useless currency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

old hippy wrote: »
    Oh and the uberpats who take any criticism of the aul' sod as a personal insult :D

I'm trying on the cap but it doesn't fit. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

the day they brought in the euro
    useless currency

What's so useless about it?
    I love my Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Clannad, bono, Chris de burgh and Christy Moore on stage for self aid in 85

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I wasn't old enough to fully understand it but heartbreaking stuff I'd imagine.

Losing to Spain in penalties at the 2002 WC was low.

watched that game in molly riordas in limerick, was so depressed when it was over :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Our lowest moment is far fetched and for the moment only theoretical, but it may happen someday.

That moment is the moment when AH doesnt have about 5 threads bursting with people wanting to repeat the same old lines about how s**t they reckon the country to be.

When we finally learn to convert the smugness from the phrases 'only in ireland' and 'irish people are weak/stupid/sheep etc.' into energy, the world can forget about oil, gas, hydro etc. Because boards will have an utter mine of these phrases to power the world for the next quadrillion years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Kirby92 wrote: »
    Staying neutral in WW2.

Staying neutral in WWII was probably one of the few things Dev got right. Had we decided to join in between 1939 to 1940 we would certainly have been invaded. We would have suffered massive damage like the UK did and been unable to deal with it.

I'm no fan of Dev at all, but I think staying neutral was the right thing. At the time, very few knew of the concentration camps. It wasn't our making and wasn't our conflict and we would have been trounced to bits by Germany....and had Germany invaded us first, the UK would have invaded from the north, so that would have been us proper ****ed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Sorry double post - Zig and Zag leaving for the Big Breakfast. That's when I knew at a tender age that the country wasn't worth a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Augmerson wrote: »
    Staying neutral in WWII was probably one of the few things Dev got right. Had we decided to join in between 1939 to 1940 we would certainly have been invaded. We would have suffered massive damage like the UK did and been unable to deal with it.

I'm no fan of Dev at all, but I think staying neutral was the right thing. At the time, very few knew of the concentration camps. It wasn't our making and wasn't our conflict and we would have been trounced to bits by Germany....and had Germany invaded us first, the UK would have invaded from the north, so that would have been us proper ****ed.

Germany couldn't have invaded us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Augmerson wrote: »
    Sorry double post - Zig and Zag leaving for the Big Breakfast. That's when I knew at a tender age that the country wasn't worth a ****.

And now they come crawling back to present a sh*te bloopers show on Telly Eireann....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

The day Oliver Cromwell set foot in the country.

Advertisement