Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish drug traffickers escape LatinAmerican jail

Options
  • 15-08-2013 11:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

with 10 years left to serve.. and magically reappear in Ireland!
    Convicted drug mules Dermot, 21, and Leigh O’Neill, 25, from Athlone had both been sentenced to 11 years in jail in Venezuela last August.
    Fr John Jennings in Caracas, who had been visiting the two men, said he got a call from them after the brothers fled the notorious San Juan de Los Morros slammer outside Caracas. “They usually rang me looking for money, but this time they told me they’d escaped, I was surprised to say the least.”
    The O’Neill brothers had been travelling with fellow Irishman Martin Beirne in March last year. Beirne, 28, died in a Caracas hotel when cocaine-filled balloons burst in his stomach. The brothers fled the scene but were later arrested. In police custody, Leigh O’Neill later passed 92 balloons filled with 725 grams of cocaine with a street value of some €50,000. No drugs were found on the person of Dermot, who had always protested his innocence.
    After fleeing prison early last month, the O’Neill brothers made their way overland to neighbouring Colombia to the border town of Cucuta, then on to Bogota.
    The Venezuelan Ministry of Communications did not respond when asked if the two men had escaped.
    http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/news/5074019/They-just-walked-out-in-the-middle-of-the-day-and-went-to-the-local-bus-stop-It-came-as-a-surprise.html
    How did they get passports and flights and are AnGarda not worried about these jailbreakers living back in Ireland etc etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Shame we can't extradite them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

snubbleste wrote: »

How did they get passports and flights and are AnGarda not worried about these jailbreakers living back in Ireland etc etc?

Not much the Garda can do, they were not in Jail here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'd imagine they went to the Irish embassy in Bogota and got emergency passports, it's not rocket science really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

We don't have an embassy in Bogota.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Don't we dual with the uk in a lot of these countries...

• Advertisement

We don't have an embassy in Bogota.

We have an Honorary Consulate, and AFAIK in areas where we don't have an embassy, another EU country can issue emergency transport documents for Irish citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That'll give that pair of women some hope.

mike65 wrote: »
    That'll give that pair of women some hope.

Peru and Venezuela are very different countries...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Interesting story.

I have no time for those involved in the drugs trade but a part of me says, "fair fecks to them," if the story happened the way they say. Especially if one of them (as he claims) was entirely innocent.

You'd think they'd have kept their mouths shut, now they're out, so as not to cause potential trouble for anyone who may have assiisted them in their escape.

Still....once a idiot, always an idiot I guess (swallowing bags of coke.....genius).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Fair play to them, lets me honest if they had not escaped they would of never survived 11 years in Prision there, this is a place where if they dont have a football to play with they cut off someones head to use as a football, a real cesspit of a country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Some prison warden just sorted out Christmas early this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

They were probably only observing the local Elections anyway.

Wonder would ye get a reward if you called the prison and said youd came across the lads...

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Why can't we extradite them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Fair play to them, lets me honest if they had not escaped they would of never survived 11 years in Prision there, this is a place where if they dont have a football to play with they cut off someones head to use as a football, a real cesspit of a country.

Fair play to them? They#re drug smugglers. They should rot in whatever prison they end up in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Interesting story.

I have no time for those involved in the drugs trade but a part of me says, "fair fecks to them," if the story happened the way they say. Especially if one of them (as he claims) was entirely innocent.

You'd think they'd have kept their mouths shut, now they're out, so as not to cause potential trouble for anyone who may have assiisted them in their escape.

Still....once a idiot, always an idiot I guess (swallowing bags of coke.....genius).
    i think they have kept their mouth shut, the article i read was from nosey neighbours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Sky King wrote: »
    do countries volunteer people for extradition? doubt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

scumbags should be sent straight back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭camphor

Who on earth would escape from prison and then go to Athlone??? The mind boggles!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

They are ****ing drug mules. Get your bleeding act together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Maybe they could visit the two newest drug mules to grace a South American jail and give them a few tips?

Why would we?

They didn't break any laws here, we have no extradition treaty with Venezuela and it's our governments job to protect citizens of the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Fair play to them? They#re drug smugglers. They should rot in whatever prison they end up in.

Watch the Banged Up Abroad episode with the Irish guy in Venezuela. Certainly wouldn't wish it on them, murdering rapists absolutely but not for the crime of smuggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

One lad didn't have party balloons in his system, not found with any gear on him....let him rot as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Ireland has a long history of not extraditing people wanted for crimes in other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Let's troll the prison with an online campaign.

Get folk from all over Ireland sending Athlone, 'wish you were here?' Postcards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Ireland has a long history of not extraditing people wanted for crimes in other countries.

A high profile refusal recently involved Edward Snowden following a request from the U.S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Was reading about them after hearing about the 2 girls, ,,and a few days later,,they are out!

Pay off prison wardens girls,,,,,fook the lawyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Watch the Banged Up Abroad episode with the Irish guy in Venezuela. Certainly wouldn't wish it on them, murdering rapists absolutely but not for the crime of smuggling.

Maybe not one of these hellhole prisons, not for smuggling, but saying fair play to them is ridiculous.

One lad didn't have party balloons in his system, not found with any gear on him....let him rot as well?

Depends what he was found guilty of. I don't know the details and i'm not a judge. My statement still stands. Drug smugglers, including these too "poor girls", deserve to be locked up.

Ya think, ah the poor eejits made a mistake, let them off the hook. I wonder how many lives 725 grams of coke will ruin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

also given the inhumane conditions over there - it's probably illegal for the state to extradite them.
    It could well argued that their human rights are infringed over there ...

fair play to the lads for escaping.

tbh I don't think coke dealing/smuggling is the worst crime.
    nobody is forced to buy coke against their will , it's sold to willing participants.
    despite the hooha from pious folk here .

Advertisement