Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro Podcast

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I sense a conspiracy against Pyonyang here - too afraid to go up against the might of Darius? :p

Boulder Dash vs Darius

Im in :D

But i really would love to do a piracy podcast

So much to talk about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Sparks43 wrote: »
    But i really would love to do a piracy podcast
    So much to talk about
    We usually do an hour, so an hour each? Pokémans if Atavan's up for it and then the piracy one? like ye did with LOZ didn't ye record the 2 parts in the 1 go?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If atavan is there then I'm up for pokemans.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Myself and Sera are still u for the pokemans podcast.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Myself and Sera are still u for the pokemans podcast.

Have we got some piracy as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I want to do pokemons. Can I roll up to the studio in a limo drunk?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I want to do pokemons. Can I roll up to the studio in a limo drunk?!

I'm only home from drinking... so I'm going to say yes.

Aw man, my mam decided to take the car today so I can't go :(

Hmm, so piracy then and if we have time game music?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Can't have game music without mentioning SST or Zuntata!

Check out SSTs live version of Last Wave on YouTube, it's amazing. :)

• Advertisement

pics.Gabe-Newell-Pirate.jpg

fast1.jpg

I remember seeing those ads in Commodore Format, along with other classifieds for Public Domain software and Play By Mail companies.

Apparently PBM is still popular to this day. Let's start a shoot'em up based PBM!

You (the player ship) send the first letter to someone:

Dear Mr./Ms. X,

PEW! PEW! PEW!

Yours sincerely,

Mr. Pyongyang

Some random rum character (the boss ship) sends you a reply:

Dear Mr. Pyongyang,

PEW! PEW! PEW!

Yours sincerely,

Mr./Ms. X

*FFWD to 10 years later*

Dear Mr./Ms. X,

PEW! PEW! PEW!

Yours sincerely,

Mr. Pyongyang

Dear Mr. Pyongyang,

This is the estate of Mrs. Enid Pickles writing to inform you to desist from sending further letters. Mrs. Pickles died 3 years ago and frankly your letters are upsetting her surviving family.

Yours sincerely,

The estate of Mrs. Enid Pickles

Enjoyed the making of the podcast yesterday

Mouth going dry

Brain playing hold music

Palms getting sweaty :eek:

Fans of the show will be delighted to hear that Darius,Rise of the robots,Halo and the Cd-I got many mentions.

And i didnt mention Boulder Dash once;)

copypasta from GRD
    we were just talking about this, maybe another topic for a podcast, game magazines? also give Sonic The Comic another mention, since they used to have some reviews in it and have some Pokémon magazines there I could talk about

Sera wrote: »
    maybe another topic for a podcast, game magazines?

Definitely a good topic. I could offer some pensioner-grade knowledge of Commodore Format, Zzap 64!, Commodore Power, Commodore Force, CU Amiga, Super Play and so on.

Adultappleflavouredbeveragemale could go back a good bit further and talk about his time doing work experience for William Caxton in 1476.

Separated at birth? :D

caxton_william.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yuk yuk yuk....
    Funny guy...

Caxton, used his coxcomb as a drinking goblet to impress chicks, true story....

Any chance of a podcast this week?

Also Dinorex want me to do the paragraphs for the sonic podcast if no one else has done one?

Any chance of a podcast this week?

Also Dinorex want me to do the paragraphs for the sonic podcast if no one else has done one?
    Atavan if you're free, Pokemans?
    You'll have to get the first podcast sent to you since we weren't there

I can do this week!

• Advertisement

I can do this week!

I can do this week as backup for when Atavan realizes that he cant use the car and cry's off even though he could get a 15 Bus all the way from Dundrum to Coolock

;)

Sparks43 wrote: »
    I can do this week as backup for when Atavan realizes that he cant use the car and cry's off even though he could get a 15 Bus all the way from Dundrum to Coolock

;)

I drive a BMW, how dare you suggest one might even consider the thought of using public transportation! I say!

carriagedriver005.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I drive a BMW when my mam lets me, how dare you suggest one might even consider the thought of using public transportation! I say!

...pic of pantrylad

Fixed that for you, sir. ;)

he could get a 15 Bus

tumblr_ljzzn4AAeR1qg39ewo1_500.gif

all the way from Dundrum

tumblr_m6wphfXEPr1qg39ewo1_500.gif

to Coolock

tumblr_livltdYpoT1qg39ewo1_500.gif
    tumblr_liw07nNBnk1qg39ewo1_500.gif
    tumblr_ljrvr3FXbY1qg39ewo1_500.gif

Street Fighter podcast on Sunday at 1pm if anyone wants in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I know almost as much about playing Street Fighter as I do about women... oh dear....

Everything I learned about women I learned from Chun Li.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Street Fighter podcast on Sunday at 1pm if anyone wants in.
    I'll be tuned in for that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

DinoRex wrote: »
    Everything I learned about women I learned from Chun Li.

What, Cammy just wouldn't co-operate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Just listened to a couple of these podcasts today.
    They're great but I'd love to see a some video to go along with them. Now I don't mean some live video as that would be a hassle to setup. I mean some gameplay added as you talk about certain games or developers etc.

As you talk about Contra some gameplay would play or maybe some piracy adverts from years ago would scroll by or play as you discussed piracy on the retro systems.
    Anyway, great job on them and keep up the good work.

Maybe think about maybe doing a one off special with video to see how it goes?

Well the last one we recorded was a street fighter podcast with Doom who does a lot of video recording for the street fighter scene in Ireland and he was very interested in doing some video stuff. We'll see what we can do and if he is still up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Definitely, it'd make them instantly better. Remember the James Rolfe video where he's talking about his memories of playing Contra as a kid, & it just had shots & clips of the levels etc he was taking about? Something like that would be brilliant

Didn't someone already do a clip a few pages backusing contra? I'm on my phone bit lazy to check

It was Steve s i, few pages back

Sera wrote: »
    Didn't someone already do a clip a few pages backusing contra? I'm on my phone bit lazy to check

Ah possibly, I didn't mean yous should do a Contra one, more like the style Rolfe made the video with some casual talking coupled with vids of the levels he was talking about.

You's already have the talking part nailed, some video of the subject matter would do wonders more for the final edit

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »

Ah possibly, I didn't mean yous should do a Contra one, more like the style Rolfe made the video with some casual talking coupled with vids of the levels he was talking about.

You's already have the talking part nailed, some video of the subject matter would do wonders more for the final edit
    Just saying it's there if you didn't see it, it's been talked abouta few times, just need someone with the time to help really

The problem is capturing the footage requires equipment I don't have. I can capture from composite but I long since threw away the composite cables on my consoles. It's really difficult to find capture hardware for RGB and upwards. Also it takes a lot of space, something I don't have on my hard drive. Also there's movie editing which I've no experience of. I think our only chance really is getting Doom to help out on a few once offs. I could try recording small ones on emulators and trying it out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

The problem is capturing the footage requires equipment I don't have. I can capture from composite but I long since threw away the composite cables on my consoles. It's really difficult to find capture hardware for RGB and upwards. Also it takes a lot of space, something I don't have on my hard drive. Also there's movie editing which I've no experience of. I think our only chance really is getting Doom to help out on a few once offs. I could try recording small ones on emulators and trying it out.
    If its any use im happy to strip the audio and repackage any of the footage from my channel .I use an old vcr as a sort of stepdown between my sh1tty easycap and the rgb cables(and a stepup from rf). It works with some consoles but not others, which is where emulator + camstudio is your friend . Its basic but windows movie maker is handy in a pinch for editing and compressing for upload, its also free:).

For the sake of a podcast video, just use emulation in conjunction with save states etc. Most of the emu's have recording functions & nobody here is gonna say anything because of the use of emulation :)

For the sake of a podcast video, just use emulation in conjunction with save states etc. Most of the emu's have recording functions & nobody here is gonna say anything because of the use of emulation :)

Yes, nobody has to spend hours doing gameplay with capture devices. You'd only be showing how a game looks or how it plays so some longplays (with a "thanks to longplay" message or something) would be fine and then maybe some captured play on an emulator if you wanted to highlight a certain level or some other quirk in a game.
    It doesn't have to be hard or complicated at all. Perhaps use an older podcast and do a bit of video for it to see how it might work? I'd help out putting the video together once I know what you want to appear at on-screen at a particular time during playback.

I think a bit of video will also increase the viewers dramatically if its up on itunes like the normal podcast. A retro podcast, with video! I'd download it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Don't know if podcast video are that popular ? I consume a good deal of retro podcasts a work while driving etc purely because they are audio only.
    The podcasts ye guys do, is there an rss feed for them or manually download the mp3's ?

Don't know if podcast video are that popular ? I consume a good deal of retro podcasts a work while driving etc purely because they are audio only.
    The podcasts ye guys do, is there an rss feed for them or manually download the mp3's ?

Depending on the category they can be pretty darn popular. A lot of video podcasts are basically tv shows these days and I do grab a few photography ones and a few other bits and pieces on the iPad and computer to watch.

Well the video should only ever compliment the audio, the audio wouldn't depend on it, it'd merely be an enhancement so it could expand your audience, while retaining your existing one

Well the video should only ever compliment the audio, the audio wouldn't depend on it, it'd merely be an enhancement so it could expand your audience, while retaining your existing one

Well, said sir. The podcast would be enhanced by the video but the most important part would still be what the guys do in the studio with the audio.

I'll see about emulation, it's just that a lot of games we talk about aren't emulatable.

Not sure about rss feed but the podcasts are all downloadable as MP3's

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Only seeing this now.

I'm more than willing to help out and do some recording, to be honest I do it so much it's no real effort. I'm not great with editing, generally I just edit live on the fly with xsplit.

Ironically, composite is the one I can't do (I have a composite to component upscaler which I've never tested so I might...), I have equipment to record via svideo, VGA, component and HDMI. I also have all the equipment to add live commentary to them all. I know this isn't perfect for retro stuff but I am sure I could sort out something for the older formats.

The same program, Xsplit, is also a low cost way of recording gameplay on a computer, too.

To be honest I would probably keep the two parts seperate, have an audio only bit and them a complementary vodcast.

Here's a sample of the kind of stuff we do regularly with fighting games: Dont watch it all (unless you enjoy it) but notice the cam switching and stuff at 7:50. All easy to do on the fly.

I've also gotten better cams since then :)

To be honest I would probably keep the two parts seperate, have an audio only bit and them a complementary vodcast.

All sounds great, except for the above. I don't think the video should even be referenced in the audio, so if you were only listening to the audio, you wouldn't even miss the video stream.

The video stream should be basically eye candy, showing what the lads are talking about...but not specifically discussed, eg...there should't be something like:

"Here's the bit on the video now I was talking about...you can see..." etc

It should be just the discussion, with highly relevant video playing in front of the audio imo. I'll embed the Contra video again, just to show what I'm talking about

You could listen to that video purely audio only, & never know there was video playing. Yet the video enhances the whole thing tenfold

Horror Hotpot 2? I'm counting the days to Halloween

All sounds great, except for the above. I don't think the video should even be referenced in the audio, so if you were only listening to the audio, you wouldn't even miss the video stream.

The video stream should be basically eye candy, showing what the lads are talking about...but not specifically discussed, eg...there should't be something like:

"Here's the bit on the video now I was talking about...you can see..." etc

It should be just the discussion, with highly relevant video playing in front of the audio imo. I'll embed the Contra video again, just to show what I'm talking about

You could listen to that video purely audio only, & never know there was video playing. Yet the video enhances the whole thing tenfold

This what I meant when I brought up the whole Video Podcast thing.

Might as well throw it up here:
    DinoRex wrote: »

• Advertisement
Advertisement