Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Holy crap, that RAGE online shopping thing looks so fecking stupid.
    So many other ways of doing it and they decide to go this way, WTF :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

One for the visual novel fans:

http://kotaku.com/5936134/do-japanese-and-westerners-have-different-taste-in-men-this-game-thinks-so

Visual novels tend to be a bit on the creepy side, but those 'real' characters look a helluva lot creepier.

Well if it came down to it and I had to, I'd do the one that looks like Santa Claus in the last picture. I'm just saying what we're all thinking :P

http://www.vectrexregeneration.com/

screenshots.png

I wonder how it will look on the retina iPad 3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nice, if it works with the icade it'll be essential, unless you already have a Vectrex, when it'll be pointless.
    Given that the entire catalogue of official games are public domain it'll be interesting to see if it launches with them all included are will they try to pull a fast one and charge for them in packs or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Nice, if it works with the icade it'll be essential, unless you already have a Vectrex, when it'll be pointless.
    Given that the entire catalogue of official games are public domain it'll be interesting to see if it launches with them all included are will they try to pull a fast one and charge for them in packs or something.

I wouldn't begrudge them charging for 'em, public domain or not. The time of the programmers who handled the user interface stuff, and testing is worth something. I'd even welcome price comparisons between older games and the generic shooters/shovelware that gets peddled nowadays.

• Advertisement

It comes with all the official games pre-installed. They will have add-on packs for some homebrew and there is iCade support but I'm not sure if its there for free or if its an addon.
    Nice idea either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sorry but unless its running on a Vector screen...it's not a Vectrex. It's one of the only consoles that can genuinely stick two fingers up & laugh at any & all forms of emulation

EnterNow wrote: »
    Sorry but unless its running on a Vector screen...it's not a Vectrex. It's one of the only consoles that can genuinely stick two fingers up & laugh at any & all forms of emulation

Yeah, thats true but still nice to see the Vectrex getting some press.
    I'll get the app anyway as I'm curious to see how they handle the emulation on the retina screen.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Yeah, thats true but still nice to see the Vectrex getting some press.
    I'll get the app anyway as I'm curious to see how they handle the emulation on the retina screen.

Aye, nice to see it still being mentioned. I really should use mine more often :o

Is it just me, or does the Japanese localisation of Boulder Dash seem awful different different to anyone else? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I went to the premiere of a film called Shadow Dancer this evening... It didn't have a dog or a ninja in it. It was just about 'the troubles'

They did give me lots of free booze though.

I'm so exited about this:
    • immersive VR
    • designed for gaming...
    • ... by people who wear glasses...*
    • ... for longer durations without causing eyestrain (compared to other headsets)*
    • endorsed by iD & Valve
    • affordable development kits already heading out to people who make games
    • perfect balance between a weird cyberpunk-y and acceptably marketable name

And glory be, the Kickstarter already beat the goal by >$1,500,000 and there's still 10 days left.

218007.jpg

The Oculus Rift, or "I want one of these instead of a HMZ-T1".

*It says so in the FAQ and I choose to get my hopes up, dammit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

a5y wrote: »
    I'm so exited about this:
    • immersive VR
    • designed for gaming...
    • ... by people who wear glasses...*
    • ... for longer durations without causing eyestrain (compared to other headsets)*
    • endorsed by iD & Valve
    • affordable development kits already heading out to people who make games
    • perfect balance between a weird cyberpunk-y and acceptably marketable name

And glory be, the Kickstarter already beat the goal by >$1,500,000 and there's still 10 days left.

218007.jpg

The Oculus Rift, or "I want one of these instead of a HMZ-T1".

*It says so in the FAQ and I choose to get my hopes up, dammit.

Final version of this + DayZ + Adult nappies = the ultimate gaming experience.

7yALv.jpg

Steve SI wrote: »
    Final version of this + DayZ + Adult nappies = the ultimate gaming experience.

Already agreed. (Though I've since reconsidered the merits of Daniel O'Donnell wearing Danny Trejo's moustache)

I'd love to see Introversion pick up their city generator tech and and combine it with a VOIP setup or IRC channel for something like Shadowrun RPG. Or DnD or whatever.

Or just a remake of King of The Monsters with a spectator mode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Buy those and you'll look like characters from the film Johnny Mnemonic!
    Soooo futuristic!!
    Give it a couple of years and active contact lenses will render this tech old hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Oh no, the world will be plagued with street preachers soon

Buy those and you'll look like characters from the film Johnny Mnemonic!
    Soooo futuristic!!
    Give it a couple of years and active contact lenses will render this tech old hat.

Maybe, though I've yet to see even one concept using contact lenses that got around the peripheral vision problems, and taking one pair off to put another pair on sounds tiresome, even if they were a ton cheaper. A headset that's on in 10 seconds sounds much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

This looks brilliant. I want it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just going to leave this here. Worth a watch. Fairly NSFW, although mostly just mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

The Other Day I was In aldi in the fruit and veg lane and saw a midget picking a mushroom up I couldn't help but shout grow Mario grow!!!:D

Heading over to London tonight and have a bit of time to kill tomorrow so going to go and check out that new retro shop "Retro Game Base" in the morning.
    Anyone been yet??

a5y wrote: »
    Maybe, though I've yet to see even one concept using contact lenses that got around the peripheral vision problems, and taking one pair off to put another pair on sounds tiresome, even if they were a ton cheaper. A headset that's on in 10 seconds sounds much better.

I suppose, ultimately, we are looking at ocular implants in the next 20 years, or sooner, should be interesting although I will be far too old then to enjoy them :(

I suppose, ultimately, we are looking at ocular implants in the next 20 years, or sooner, should be interesting although I will be far too old then to enjoy them :(

True, there really would ne no point fitting them into an 80 year old man

I'm sure a few VGA graded sales of Halo 2 will pay for enough cosmetic surgery to get you mistaken for one of Jedwards' grandsons by then.

The future is going to be gawd awful if WW3 doesn't happen.

Newbie_Mode_4-465x655.jpg

One for Ole Jack....
    1343417569_lopans.jpg

4411_slide.gif

• Advertisement

DinoRex wrote: »
    4411_slide.gif

Story of my life!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement