Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alanstrainor bought a 325CI!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I drive a 325ci, they make by far the most sense if your getting a 6 cylinder (because of tax), bmw, beautiful, smooth engines, your also getting the rear wheel drive and 50/50 weight distribution... there is nothing to watch out for on them that isnt usual wear and tear, except the rear subframe on some of the earlier E46 were prone to tearing, majorly expensive repair job. Get it checked by Gary Doyle in Chelsmford motors or Richie in bloomfield motors, that would be my recommendation, forget getting someone out to check it, you need a ramp etc. That engine can take a hell of alot of miles, once it has a reasonable service history...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,708 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

May as well get it right!

My dad has an e60 523i too, and he had an e39 520i before that so there's been a few bmws in the family.

You're coming right out of the closet now, never had you down as someone interested in BMWs :pac:

What car started this thread again? Some sort of small crap Jap family hatch, was it? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

unkel wrote: »
    You're coming right out of the closet now, never had you down as someone interested in BMWs :pac:

What car started this thread again? Some sort of small crap Jap family hatch, was it? :D

The noise of Conzy's 3'er tearing down the motorway flipped a switch in my brain!

You'll be hooked soon if you aren't already. The straight 6 is a very, very smooth engine. And that is one hell of a step up from your supermini :)

Fair play to ya - you are just giving yourself a well deserved major promotion. Enjoy :D

unkel wrote: »
    You'll be hooked soon if you aren't already. The straight 6 is a very, very smooth engine. And that is one hell of a step up from your supermini :)

Fair play to ya - you are just giving yourself a well deserved major promotion. Enjoy :D

Hahaha we'll have to leave the congrats and fair plays until I have it parked in the drive!

Indeed :D

And on that note I'll have ya know and rub it in that all BMWs I ever bought had V8 petrol engines. Far superior to them wee six pots :pac:

On a more humble note - my current V8 car (a supercar in its day) is sitting untaxed, unloved off the road on my driveway :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Cheers James, I knew about the coolant issue alright. I suppose making sure the head gasket isn't shagged is the main thing! The one im looking at is a manual too, which is supposed to be bomb proof.

Thanks again

As ya said, they're essentially bomb proof, and it's a damn good choice and a fine step up :)

I swear we'll have a decent e46 section at the meets in future if things keep going this way :D I can think of at least 6 owners now, and that's not really stretching my mind!

I'd say if you're looking at a 120k one, certainly factor in Eibachs if you weren't already and I'd be willing to bet on a new set of shocks in the not too distant future, if they've not already been done (IIRC bmw recommend replacement at ~100k) You won't be stuck for info on them anyway, that's a certainty :)

Despite mine being daysul I'm prone to picking up a thing or two about other cars/engines :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

Great car, have one about 3 years and no issues. The only problem is you WILL want an m3 next :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Looks like I won't have to recommend you a Bimmer at all now dude! :D

Good choice man! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i aint gonna congratulate him until its sat in his drive. i feel he's a bit like me in choosing cars :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So did you bough 325 or not m8? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Changed your thread title for ya!

A-ha..... I saw the thread title and then 3 posts in someone started talking about 325Ci's having the same engine as a Celica, waited for a massive argument and it never came. Thought everyone had gone mad! :confused:

Trust me lads, you'll know when i've bought something:D

Going to view two 325ci's on Thursday. One is a 2002 uk import with 128,000 miles. Owner has had it for 2 years and looks mint. It's also an M sport. The other is an Irish car, doesn't look as good, but it's a 2003 irish car with only 90,000 and but the owner has only had it less than 6 months. Both are worth checking out, but I like the sound of an owner having a car for 2 years over 6 months.

Anyone have any opinions on the above? Or am I reading too much into it.

If I can't spot anything majorly with the uk import then i'll get my mechanic to have a look and take it from there really!

First post amended so it all makes a bit more sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Any links?

The "irish" car versus "Uk" car wouldn't weigh anything with me.

Black one for me, red is too gaudy IMO. Also look good in blue, what's that nice shade Topaz or Biarittz blue? Too common in silver.

I thought they would be asking a little less for a 325, even a '03 seeing as they've got massive engines an all! :cool:

The 03 is a facelift too, and a much nicer looking car imo!

The black on is on the expensive side alright! Over my budget, i'd ideally want to get him down to 3500 being honest. But i'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

How come the 2003 example does not have a multifunction steering wheel? I thought they were standard fitment on later cars.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

How come the 2003 example does not have a multifunction steering wheel? I thought they were standard fitment on later cars.

Well spotted maybe it was an ES and the interior was retro fitted or well spec'd initially?

No MF steering wheel means no cruise which is a really nice feature on the 325

You could ask the seller for the VIN so you can get the build sheet. There should also be a build sheet under the rear seats.

After doing a vehicle transaction enquiry on the motor tax website for the black 03, it shows the cars last change of ownership was in Feb. Rang the seller last night and he said he had it six months. Don't like the sound of that.

From wiki:
    The ES trim did not include cruise control, a multi-function steering wheel (MFSW), leather steering wheel or gearknob, although these were offered as "at-cost" options.

But at the same time it has the parking sensors and leather wheel.. It also has a non standard head unit which always puts me off for some reason.

I think its worth a look even to get a test drive and try and gain more info from the seller as to what messing was done to the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

conzymaher wrote: »
    But at the same time it has the parking sensors and leather wheel.. It also has a non standard head unit which always puts me off for some reason.

Those options could have been individually specced. Just cause you order an ES from the factory doesn't mean you can't have any additional options, all BMWs are built to order whether it's the customer that specs them, or the garage for the showroom.

Wht the cafuffle about headunits? I just retrofitted a headunit to my e46 because the stock one's useless. I'd nearly think someone who cares enough to put a nice headunit in is a better class of owner than someone who couldn't give a damn about the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

While i agree with you both, theres a bit difference between putting in what looks like a 70e single din halfords jobby and a top class pioneer avh owen.

hey Op, the below has just come up, fantastic spec, it is an auto though...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3270560

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    hey Op, the below has just come up, fantastic spec, it is an auto though...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3270560

Cheers, but it absolutely has to be manual. I can not be convinced otherwise!

Id agree on the manual front myself, typical one with great spec etc comes up with reasonable mileage and there has to be a catch :(

what about the below?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/325-CI-M/201209207120951/advert?channel=CARS

Id agree on the manual front myself, typical one with great spec etc comes up with reasonable mileage and there has to be a catch :(

what about the below?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/325-CI-M/201209207120951/advert?channel=CARS

A good bit overpriced considering its not the facelifted model

Owen wrote: »
    Wht the cafuffle about headunits? I just retrofitted a headunit to my e46 because the stock one's useless. I'd nearly think someone who cares enough to put a nice headunit in is a better class of owner than someone who couldn't give a damn about the car.

yeah I dont mind a nice dynavin or other high end double din headunit. But I hate seeing €50 crap headunits, they look particularly bad and out of place in the E46 dash and in my experience a lot of cars on donedeal that have one of these cheapo headunits are in poor condition throughout.

A good bit overpriced considering its not the facelifted model
    it is somewhat overpriced, but it has been up for quite sometime now and Id say the owner would be open to reasonable offers. The mileage is very low and spec great... I would take that over a non msport, boggo spec facelift anyday!

• Advertisement

it is somewhat overpriced, but it has been up for quite sometime now and Id say the owner would be open to reasonable offers. The mileage is very low and spec great... I would take that over a non msport, boggo spec facelift anyday!

Aye, but my budget was always 4 thousand tops. And given that i've jumped into a higher tax band, i'd ideally like to pay more in the region of 3500 for a car. Might be worth chatting with the seller, but I very much doubt they'll drop to 4 .

what about the below?

Just called, and it's sold. Boo...

Just called, and it's sold. Boo...

i hate that! Take the bloody car down then!

That's a mistake by the looks of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Alan, just a thought have you checked out bmwdriver.ie and all those sites? They often have mint cars for sale?

That's the most confusing set of mileage entries i've ever seen!

That's the most confusing set of mileage entries i've ever seen!

It's ridiculous!
    But 100,024 in April 08 and 101,000 July 09, something not right there.

Will you copy and paste all of the mileage readings?

Could of been sitting in a Dealer but they're awfully confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

If you can get the vin number of the car you are looking at, have a look here and you can get the build sheet for it.

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31032

• Advertisement

166man wrote: »
    Alan, just a thought have you checked out bmwdriver.ie and all those sites? They often have mint cars for sale?

Good call that - often some minty yokes up there but sometimes with a hefty price tag. No offence intended to anyone now! ;)

Will you copy and paste all of the mileage readings?

Could of been sitting in a Dealer but they're awfully confusing.

That's the lot of them! There's no more that the motorcheck report had!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Alan, I would give a +1 to looking on bmwdriver.net. Yes, the prices may be hefty but when you buy a car from an enthusiast, it's often a totally different experience.

Alan, I would give a +1 to looking on bmwdriver.net. Yes, the prices may be hefty but when you buy a car from an enthusiast, it's often a totally different experience.

Just signed up, and posted in the wanted section:)

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Good call that - often some minty yokes up there but sometimes with a hefty price tag. No offence intended to anyone now! ;)

You're right though some of the car's command a hefty price. However I think the type of car Alan is looking at should be bought off an enthusiast.

My 2c anyway..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Have you seen this one?

media?xwm=y&id=13440796&width=400&height=300

166man wrote: »
    You're right though some of the car's command a hefty price. However I think the type of car Alan is looking at should be bought off an enthusiast.

My 2c anyway..:)

I agree and as Mertz says above there can be a whole lot of difference in the quality of the car. Just sometimes I find enthusiasts have an exceptional opinion of their own car. You see the same in the classic scene all the time.

I agree and as Mertz says above there can be a whole lot of difference in the quality of the car. Just sometimes I find enthusiasts have an exceptional opinion of their own car. You see the same in the classic scene all the time.

Yeah I understand that, people thinking their car is better than it actually is. That being said there are some seriously nice car's for sale on that website.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

That much is true, but in fairness, enthusisast do look after their cars much better than the average Joe. Especially when it comes to something like a BMW I would much rather buy a car from an enthusiast even if it meant paying well over the odds, because you'd know that it has been properly looked after, they'll almost always have a good spec and all the known weak spots of the car will probably have been taken care of, so while you'll be paying more, you'll be spending a lot less and just basically have a far better car to boot:)!

• Advertisement

Of course, but every seller i've talked to on my car hunt thinks their car is the best thing on the planet. Even when it was quite obviously wrecked.

Anyway, this guy jumped right on my wanted thread on BMW-Driver:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3056755

The spoiler looks cack on them though!

Advertisement