Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badly cast movie and TV roles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

keano_afc wrote: »
    Anyone not Irish being cast in a role where they have to put on an Irish accent.

Except for Brad Pitt in Snatch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

Anyone not Irish being cast in a role where they have to put on an Irish accent.
    brad pitt was brilliant in snatch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Feel that Predators might have benefited from having someone other than Adrien Brody.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Sean Connery didn't even bother trying in the untouchables.

Worse in the hunt for red October

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Sofaspud wrote: »
    Except for Brad Pitt in Snatch.
    xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    brad pitt was brilliant in snatch

Yeah but that wasn't really an Irish accent. As the line in the film goes..

American actors usually struggle when asked to do an Irish accent. It's like they try too hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Andy McDowell in Groundhog Day. She ruins what is an otherwise perfect film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

tommy lee jones as twoface in batman forever was awful casting, as was val kilmer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Russell Crowe in Les Mis. Good actor and a convincing Javert, but when he opened his mouth to sing, he sounded like a foghorn.

mojesius wrote: »
    Andy McDowell in Groundhog Day. She ruins what is an otherwise perfect film.

How so? I thought she was beautiful in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Pegmatite

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Yeah but that wasn't really an Irish accent. As the line in the film goes..

American actors usually struggle when asked to do an Irish accent. It's like they try too hard.

If you want to hear his Oirish accent watch The Devils Own

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Andy McDowell is probably one of the finest and graceful actresses to grace any screen in the last 150 years.

To say that she was miscast in a film which was probably the pinnacle of cinema is simply wrong.

And she was excellent in Groundhog Day aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

catallus wrote: »
    Andy McDowell is probably one of the finest and graceful actresses to grace any screen in the last 150 years.

To say that she was miscast in a film which was probably the pinnacle of cinema is simply wrong.

And she was excellent in Groundhog Day aswell.

She was brutal in Four Weddings & a Funeral. "Is it raining? I hadn't noticed" BARF!

And she was stilted and wooden in Groundhog Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Archeron

Every single person in the tv shows Arrow and Sinbad. Of course the ads made them out to be the greatest tv shows ever but they are unbearable. I've pooed things that could act better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

"is it raining? I hadn't noticed" is probably one of the best lines to be uttered by any actor of the stage/screen in about 200 years, apart from anything in Under Siege or Under Siege 2 Dark Territory.

Pang wrote: »
    The actress that has been chosen to play Wonderwoman in the next film.

I know it hasn't been filmed yet but physically she is a poor choice.

This is going to sound psychotic, but....

In general whenever I do a Google search of inexplicable casting choices in Hollywood, I nearly always discover the actor/actress in question is of Jewish extraction.

Examples of actors Hollywood is inexplicably trying to manufacture into "stars" by giving them every decent role going:
    Jonah Hill
    Shia Lebouf
    This new Wonderwoman actress, among others

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

This is going to sound psychotic, but....

In general whenever I do a Google search of inexplicable casting choices in Hollywood, I nearly always discover the actor/actress in question is of Jewish extraction.

Examples of actors Hollywood is inexplicably trying to manufacture into "stars" by giving them every decent role going:
    Jonah Hill
    Shia Lebouf
    Seems a popular career for those of the Jewish faith. http://articles.latimes.com/2008/dec/19/opinion/oe-stein19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Feel that Predators might have benefited from having someone other than Adrien Brody.

He looks like an ironing board with a massive nose. What the hell were they thinking? Every character in Predator was brilliant.
    Best line of the film, Mac to Dillon
    "You're ghosting us muthafcuka, I don't care who are back in the world, you give up our position one more time, I'll bleed you, real quiet, leave ye here. Got that"

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DB83

Except for Tom Cruise in far & away... A more authentic accent you will not hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

thecatspjs wrote: »
    Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker. He's just a bad actor.

Popular opinion, BUT while Christensen is a mediocre actor at best he was handed one of the worst written roles in a major Hollywood movie ever. Nobody could have done anything with that character; the part is un-miscastable 'cause there's no such thing as good casting for such a poor part.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

DB83 wrote: »
    Except for Tom Cruise in far & away... A more authentic accent you will not hear

t'be shoor t'be shoor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

DB83 wrote: »

"You're a corker Shannon"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

On the other hand, Colm Meaney in any role where he's playing a non-Irish character (Die Hard 2, Con Air, Hell on Wheels). If you can't do an accent, just do what Sean Connery does - don't try.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Jonah Hill
    Shia Lebouf

+1 for this, I would also add IMHO James Franco to the list..

Watched Oz The Great and Powerful and I just thought that Franco was miscast as the lead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    On the other hand, Colm Meaney in any role where he's playing a non-Irish character (Die Hard 2, Con Air, Hell on Wheels). If you can't do an accent, just do what Sean Connery does - don't try.

Chris O'Dowd in 'Friends with Kids' was particularly bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Richard Thomas in All Quiet on the Western Front

Matthew Broderick in Godzilla

Kevin Spacey in Ordinary Decent Criminal

Julia Roberts in Michael Collins

Tom Cruise in Far & Away

Tom Cruise in the Last Samurai

Billy Connolly in the Last Samurai

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Hugh Grant in anything that doesn't require him to attend 4 weddings and 1 funeral.

major bill wrote: »
    Richard Thomas in All Quiet on the Western Front

Matthew Broderick in Godzilla

Kevin Spacey in Ordinary Decent Criminal

Julia Roberts in Michael Collins

Tom Cruise in Far & Away

Tom Cruise in the Last Samurai

Billy Connolly in the Last Samurai

Cruise was very good in the Last Samurai imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Jack Black in King Kong.

On one hand, Peter Jackson was absolutely correct that that character is a film director not an action hero, so casting an actor known for action roles would have been a mistake. KK is a frustrating movie because it has absolutely brilliant positives but a lot of negatives, and Black's casting is one of the negatives. 8 years later, and I still think Paul Giamatti would have nailed that role.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Colin Farrell as Alexander the Great.

That movie is comedy gold though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

thecatspjs wrote: »
    Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker.

She was fcuking amazing in the Wicked Game video though.

Advertisement