Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civilization 5

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Maximilian wrote: »
    I pity AND envy you at the same time :) You never played any civ games 'til now?

Pick up Civ4 if you find it cheap too. It's patched to perfection and plays quite differently.

Yep first one mate :)
    I never thought id enjoy it so much.
    I must grab Civ 4 as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Cheapest place to get Civ 5, lads? (knew i shoulda got it on Ganersgate 2 weeks back)
    Does it need steam to activate?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Cheapest place to get Civ 5, lads? (knew i shoulda got it on Ganersgate 2 weeks back)
    Does it need steam to activate?

15 euro in Gamestop

And yes!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Noob question, playing a game in the industrial era and recently got myself some carrier ship units but cannot figure out how to get them to attack, the tool tip says they can carry up to 3 aircraft.
    Have i to make aircraft later on and assign them to the carrier or what?
    Nothing happens when i order them to attack.

Nevermind i tried assign fighters to carrier the same way as moving to another city and it worked.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Dcully wrote: »
    Noob question, playing a game in the industrial era and recently got myself some carrier ship units but cannot figure out how to get them to attack, the tool tip says they can carry up to 3 aircraft.
    Have i to make aircraft later on and assign them to the carrier or what?
    Nothing happens when i order them to attack.

Carriers themselves can't attack, although I sometimes let them get attacked by hostile cities or units, as it's the only way of getting them xp.

They're basically a mobile airbase. Select your fighter and click on the rebase button. Any cities or carriers within range will be highlighted. Jets have a longer range. Bombers can currently be based on carriers (I think) but stealth bomber can't. I think an atomic bomb can be based on a carrier too, since it's basically a bomber.

Nuclear subs and missile cruisers work exactly the same way as regards nuclear & guided missiles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Yup. Carriers were the same in Civ 4 as well, they're just a way to get your fighters and such across water. So they're generally more useful in island, small continent, or archipelago based games as opposed to Pangaea based games.

Any multi-player games being set-up here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

We just recently started one, though I'm sure another will be started in due course once we have some lands liberated in the current games.

We just recently started one, though I'm sure another will be started in due course once we have some lands liberated in the current games.

give us a shout when it's re-starting so

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I wouldn't mind a second game :)

Hmm think I might be able to handle another myself.
    I'll stick a post over on the other place and see who's interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

im interested in a game, but im away for 2 weeks.

ill drop a note when im home and hopefully i can jump in and get killed quick :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is 1.0.1.348 the latest version?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

We have 4 games going at the other place right now. If we had twice as many games going, I don;t think it would be a problem.

The more the merrier.

Kicking off new game this evening if any stragglers still want in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I bought this game on Steam there this weekend, went to play it today and am having awful trouble with the resolution. My PC is hooked up to a TV, the resolution of which is 1280x720 I think, and the game just refuses to let me play in this resolution. The result is bits are cut off the sides or the bottom of the screen, making it virtually unplayable. Has anyone else had this issue or know of a fix for it?

You could try going into \documents\mygames\Civ 5 and editing the graphicsettingdx9.ini file (or the dx11 if you use that).

Find these lines and change them to

WindowResX = 1280

WindowResY = 720

Sometimes, games change these settings back, so if that happens right click properties on the file and tick read only.

Hope that works.

Tried that just now, it puts the game into 1280x768.

I guess 720 is not supported or something.

Windowed mode it is :(

Bummer. Try posting on the civ 5 support forums

http://forums.2kgames.com/forumdisplay.php?86-Civilization-V-Support

• Advertisement

Managed to get it sorted by messing around with the settings on the TV rather than the game.

Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 kevrr

Does anybody else find this game a bit dumbed down compared to previous versions of Civ?

I wouldn't necessarily say "dumbed down". I know it does have less features than previous Civ titles, especially if you compare it to Civ 4 BtS, but for the type and playstyle of 5, it's good enough.

Yes, it could have a few other features like foreign trade, better diplomacy and other things, but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Got CIV5 ont he sale there the other week. Just started a game on Saturday, loved it ! ...was getting used to it, destroying all the other cities and having a great time. Was up till 6am...as this stage I nearly had the world conquered, seen "city state" Sydney...and laughed..as it was a tiny Island..so decided to take a screenshot...pressed F12 (Steam screenshot) and it quickloaded a game from the very start :(

Sunday day, started a new game with my friend, Huge map, 12-16 Civs or whatever it is, we are about 14 hours in, 300+ turns , and it's amazing. I can't wait for a few days off to just play. Even though I have Fifa12, BF3 Beta, RAGE out soon etc...this is all that's on my mind :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Got CIV5 ont he sale there the other week. Just started a game on Saturday, loved it ! ...was getting used to it, destroying all the other cities and having a great time. Was up till 6am...as this stage I nearly had the world conquered, seen "city state" Sydney...and laughed..as it was a tiny Island..so decided to take a screenshot...pressed F12 (Steam screenshot) and it quickloaded a game from the very start :(
    There are autosaves every so often so your game may still be there.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    so decided to take a screenshot...pressed F12 (Steam screenshot) and it quickloaded a game from the very start :

Annoyingly those quicksave/quickload shortcuts have only been in quite recently. Before that F12 used to be the shortcut to switch between normal and strategic view on the map. And there's no way to change them, so you're forced to changing your screenshot key every time.

This is also why I have the game set to autosave every 3 turns!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Blowfish wrote: »
    There are autosaves every so often so your game may still be there.

Cool :D. I'll check when I get home, have to finish this game with my friend first, then I'll let ye know, but I may be aswell restarting as I was just plodding along trying everything, at least now I am still new..but have a little bit more knowledge of what things do.
    In work till 8pm, and can't wait to just get back on and make my next move

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smithy1981

Any newbies want to try a multi-player game? I tried my first yesterday and got my ass whipped :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JiveTurkey

Got this game recently and after a few weeks playing, its getting uninstalled, its too addictive!! Love that your able to buy land now and the the whole city-state thing but i prefer Civ4 if im honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I re-installed mine lately but while I did lose a couple of days playing it, I think I'll be putting it aside again. None of the criticisms or bugs from when it came out seem to have been addressed. I played on a huge map and had horrendous loading times and had India trade 5 of 6 cities for a peace traty after I took just one. You can still conquer a huge map with a handful of units and you still get punished for building roads. Roads ffs. It's a good game but it's flaws drive me mad....

Advertisement