Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Imagine launch Midband Ripwave Replacement - WiMAX

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Looks like we'll be waiting a little longer for those prices..
    is working really hard so that our pricing is the best in the market so it will be out by the end of next week. But will be worth the wait
    http://twitter.com/imagineeurope/status/4929266879

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

What kind of a coverage map is that on their website.
    Am i blind or something. I cant tell the difference between coverage and no coverage.

And what about caps.

BB is not much use if its capped to bejaysus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

_Kooli_ wrote: »
    Am i blind or something. I cant tell the difference between coverage and no coverage.

And what about caps.

lol yeah I think they read my post an changed it in a hurray :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

_Kooli_ wrote: »

And what about caps.

There's no information about any of that, yet. They have pictures of little masts, giving out signal. Ah, isn't that cute. Nothing real there though. No info on price, caps, minimum speed, different packages or any of that.

To be honest, I think they were very premature in announcing this. They could have at least had their business plan ready before announcing what they are claiming is the answer to Ireland's broadband woes. Which it is not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

jor el wrote: »
    To be honest, I think they were very premature in announcing this. They could have at least had their business plan ready before announcing what they are claiming is the answer to Ireland's broadband woes. Which it is not.

It may be an answer to 3g crap service woes IF they roll out a sufficient density of base stations . Launching with too few base stations attracts those who need a fixed substitute.

On the other hand if you had a massive base station rollout and then went hunting for customers you would get a lot more geuninely mobile or nomadic users ( not fixed) and they would not dog the network as much .

The document Jellies pointed me to indicates that Imagine have a hell of a lot more spectrum in Dublin than anyone else does , Clearwire 3 Voda or O2 , in fact as much spectrum as all of them put together .

A key problem with lack of spectrum is that you cannot reuse it efficiently . Current theory is that nothing really useful can be done without 50mhz of contigous spectrum at least ( and LOTS of base stations)

I cannot find current channel ( ABCDE F G and J) allocations on the Comreg site but I do take Jellies word for it that he/she knows of a large allocation that Imagine recently got ...in the order of 50mhz in parts of Dublin for sure .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They don't :(

Breeze is spanking technology.

1. It uses outdoor fixed aerials not tiny indoor dongly yokes .
    2. It runs at 5Ghz+ with clear line of sight ( LOS) and where there is quite a lot of spectrum .

( amended to remove incorrect assumption on Imagine spectrum

Now stop trolling, we KNOW you know nothing and you told us so :)

I've said it once i'll say it again!!!
    Breeze runs at 3.5G outside citys, and yes it needs Los

The Fool wrote: »
    Breeze runs at 3.5G outside citys, and yes it needs Los

I know they have had breeze 3.5ghz gear for years but do they not also run 5ghz gear too in some areas , eg the cities and some other areas ??

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Antoh

If this service really does give what its saying it can then it will be a
    miracle. so far every company has given false hope to consumers, so anyone who is being sceptical of what is on offer has a good point. But if the wimax service can turn out to be half as good as the breeze service then they will have something to offer that we could all benifit from. As for phone service, I for one would be glad not to pay a cent to eircom just to deal with useless customer care reps who don't know what your talking about

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Antoh wrote: »
    I for one would be glad not to pay a cent to eircom just to deal with useless customer care reps who don't know what your talking about[/FONT][/SIZE]

This statement is abit unfounded, out of all the ISP's you'll often find that eircom get alot less complaints then others on this forum.

Sales reps are sales reps and suck no matter the company be in Eircom, BT or Imagine. But there's nothing really to backup the claims that eircom tech support hasn't a clue what their on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Cabaal wrote: »
    eircom get alot less complaints then others on this forum.

Are you serious?,Eircom are the most unhelpful bunch of incompetent people I have ever dealt with and yes I mean that!

Really some people.......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

BreezeMax is not mobile wimax , it is FIXED wimax , anyway IBB/Imagine promised us that in 2004 and where are we exactly in the rollout ...anybody ??

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2004/10/24/story57473325.asp

I have Breeze Max , They installers could not get line of sight with a standard VL radio and my roof was to steep for them to go up the chimney .

Any way the lads put in what they called a Breeze Max athena, which they said was a new unit for non line of site situations, and it worked perfectly .

When I asked him about the WiMax , he told me Breeze max would be in the middle of there fixed broadband offerings with standard Breeze at the bottom and Wimax at the top.

He also told me it would be a good while before they launched the Wimax service in Newbridge but when up at Tesco's yesterday there was a poster outside of the store that said "Imagine Broadband, Google Wimax"

When I asked him about the WiMax , he told me Breeze max would be in the middle of there fixed broadband offerings with standard Breeze at the bottom and Wimax at the top.

If thats true then it should/could be a good product....

We'll just have to wait and see. Fingers crossed they have a good product. I'd rather that than another fantasy provider.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Kev. wrote: »
    Are you serious?,Eircom are the most unhelpful bunch of incompetent people I have ever dealt with and yes I mean that!

Really some people.......

I'm just stating facts, compared to say Three, IBB (in the past) or BT, eircom have farrr less complaints on this forum.

Your welcome to check over the past few years,

There's a different between facts and your personal view that eircom are useless.

Personally I hate eircom and will never get services directly with them but I won't say something thats not reflected by numbers as doing so would not be accurate

Wow. Haven't read the full thread but it seems there's a lot of people unhappy with IBB.

Whilst obviously I can't speak for everyone, and only myself, I've been with them for about three years now and I've never had a problem with them. The connection is always good and consistent, and whenever I'm left without internet (very rarly, probably twice or three times so far this year) it's always back up and running in the space of about half an hour (again, in saying that, could be down for hours, but I never noticed it).

I've also found their Customer services to be very good. I've rang them about six or seven times over the last few years and never had a problem with their tech support (did, however end up wanting to strangle myself when I had to ring non-tech customer service to ask about an upgrade I didn't want that people on here were saying they were just getting automatically. Girl on the phone didn't seem to have a clue what was going on).

So yeah. I'm all for IBB, so long as they leave me alone. As i say i haven't read the whole thread, so I hope this new thingy-ma-bob doesn't affect me at all, but as of right now i have to say I'm very happy with IBB.

I'm sure there was some other reason I came into this thread, though. :confused:

I know they have had breeze 3.5ghz gear for years but do they not also run 5ghz gear too in some areas , eg the cities and some other areas ??

They do indeed, I suppose my point is they can offer breeze at 3.5g and it's considered decent enough broadband. So is it jumping the gun a bit calling there wimax offering midband because it's at 3.5g?

I suppose time will tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Indeed. I feel "innocent until proven guilty" should be the order of the day, especially with the likely spectrum they have to play with and also the amount of the money being thrown around at it and that IBB appear to have learned the error of their ways already with Breeze and contention isssues.

Wow. Haven't read the full thread but it seems there's a lot of people unhappy with IBB.

Whilst obviously I can't speak for everyone, and only myself, I've been with them for about three years now and I've never had a problem with them. The connection is always good and consistent, and whenever I'm left without internet (very rarly, probably twice or three times so far this year) it's always back up and running in the space of about half an hour (again, in saying that, could be down for hours, but I never noticed it).

I've also found their Customer services to be very good. I've rang them about six or seven times over the last few years and never had a problem with their tech support (did, however end up wanting to strangle myself when I had to ring non-tech customer service to ask about an upgrade I didn't want that people on here were saying they were just getting automatically. Girl on the phone didn't seem to have a clue what was going on).

So yeah. I'm all for IBB, so long as they leave me alone. As i say i haven't read the whole thread, so I hope this new thingy-ma-bob doesn't affect me at all, but as of right now i have to say I'm very happy with IBB.

I had great service from them about a year and a half ago when I stopped using it. Had it for a year.

I loved the service but it started going downhill just before I moved out of the house and just before Imagine bought them. I know someone else who had Imagine and wasn't happy at all but don't know what service he was on. He was in the Clonsilla area.

• Advertisement

Just got off the phone to imagine

nice girl,said that the rumour is the packages will be 8 mb,only a rumour though

She said it`ll be 2 weeks before it gets installed

As a happy breeze customer I am very hopeful that this package will meet peoples needs and requirements,

I have never had an issue with Imagine and personally think they are a great service who provide good customer support,

Plus to add I hope this service blows Eircom out of the water and people get the broadband package that they pay for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

well it will be interesting to see how wimax goes - imagine/irish broadband were supposed to launch their priceplans today yet they have prosponed it until the middle of the week. Not a good start but looking at the technology it still has a flaw of having a max speed per mast so the more users the slower - ill be interested to see the rollout of LTE as well but it still has the same issues as well. God Id love to have fibre direct to the house :P

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/14161/comms/clash-of-the-wimax-and-lte-titans-vhs-vs-betamax-deja-vous

The Fool wrote: »

Hmm, I'd take anything written by John Kennedy with more than a pinch of salt. His "articles" read like a press release, and his interviews sound more like an advertising blurb. A proper tech journo would question why it is that we include 3G connections in broadband stats, when the OECD does not. A proper tech journo would question Minister Ryan, and the 3G telecos, on why they call 3G broadband. John Kennedy doesn't do this. Instead, he big-ups the Minister and the telecos, never questioning the indisputable fact that the technology simply isn't suitable for what it is being used for in this country. I have no respect for him or anything he writes.

Whether or not mobile Wimax will fall into the same category as 3G in a year or two, is anyone's guess. I don't believe it's the saving grace of broadband penetration and availability in Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

well doesnt it vary since there is a supposed difference between fixed WiMax and the dongle based mobile WiMax? As for LTE and WiMax I do take the articles with a pound of salt...since ive being relying on 3g for internet for years now at this stage.

I suppose we will have to wait for the next three months to see how this new venture goes i suppose.

John Kennedy spouts some awful crap at times, I'd agree with Jor El's comments on him.

An example of his ignorance:

The "bright spark" who decided to build a 4 lane M50 was actually mainly Ray McSharry, former Sligo TD and EU commissioner, along with the Haughey cabinet in the late 80s. As part of the famous cutbacks, the motorway plans lost the cloverleaf junctions and the 2 extra lanes now being built. This saved about £30 million at the time. Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing, but at the time every little was necessary to get the IMF off our backs.

I don't think I was even born when that cabinet decision was made, so John Kennedy really should know better.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Goodshape wrote: »
    The 'WiMax Plans' section open on Monday. Didn't take much to see that, surely?

Maybe it's just that their old site sucked so bad.. I thought this one was a huge improvement tbh.

not sign of that actually happening, they don't seem to be organised at all. The rest of the site is very poor, the links to more info etc don't have any information. A bit like the coverage map that has no details of coverage.

I'd be quite keen to try out a new service but this has poor customer service and disorganisation written all over it and thats before it even starts.

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    not sign of that actually happening, they don't seem to be organised at all. The rest of the site is very poor, the links to more info etc don't have any information. A bit like the coverage map that has no details of coverage.

I'd be quite keen to try out a new service but this has poor customer service and disorganisation written all over it and thats before it even starts.

I agree with that post ,but they have a good track record with breeze so surely this should be okay

Surely the site and other things like advertising,prices and info would be up to another department in the company...

Or am I just pulling at straws hoping for a next gen broadband

I'm not sure but the site did say last week that all the info would be up today and it isn't, the rest of the site is a mess also. So it's certainly not a great start, after all the shouting and publicity they were doing you would think they would be more professional about the launch.

just found out today that the breeze vl service, i.e. the 5ghz service will be left alone. for now anyway. But the wimax will be replacing the ripwave and also the breeze max 3.5ghz service. so everyone on both these services will be getting swapped over as it becomes available in each area. Is this really going to work out???? apparently the ripwave was causing interferance with the breeze max because they both run 3.5ghz so they want to prevent his happening again. still they must know what they're doing if they're going through this much trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

copacetic wrote: »
    I'm not sure but the site did say last week that all the info would be up today and it isn't
    Yeah, that's a pity alright. They announced on Twitter a few days ago (I quoted and linked to it in a post above) that the prices would now be out later in the week, and they've removed reference to Monday 19th on the site.

Just thought it was odd that so many people were ranting about being unable to find information on the site, when it's fairly clearly "Coming Soon".

Everyone is on edge waiting for more info on it. Typical Irish attitude, can't just wait and see what happens......

• Advertisement

Everyone is on edge waiting for more info on it. Typical Irish attitude, can't just wait and see what happens......

I think you'll find the 'typical Irish attitude' is to mistrust companies that announce a service with no details on it available and then don't provide the details when they said they would.

Also having a site with links for 'coverage maps', 'the benefits' and 'take the WiMax challenge' which don't have any of the stated information is not considered the sign of a good company.

i agree fully its not a great start, but maybe it might smooth out when they do get the site up and running. only time will tell right now. maybe its just there way of trying to keep everyone on the edge of their seats or just to get everyone talking. if so its working

i agree fully its not a great start, but maybe it might smooth out when they do get the site up and running. only time will tell right now. maybe its just there way of trying to keep everyone on the edge of their seats or just to get everyone talking. if so its working

I doubt it, I imagine :P that they are more interested in getting as fast a return on their investment in WiMax technology as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

While I'd love to believe the hype about this, past experiance of companies with better reputations have left me doubtful to say the least but I won't shoot them down fully just yet time will tell.
    That website is terrible and trying way too hard, it seems to be lots of ****flash and little substance.

For a company that's talking about providing better services and service for people stuck without BB you'd think they'd make a site dial-up friendly but maybe that's part of the marketing, making sure potential customers on slow connections know that their current connection is crap.

Now their twitter account is a different story altogether;) full of useful info

Imagine_capture.jpg

Must of been too busy testing their wimax download speed to publish more info on their service:D

only time will tell right now.

Don't need time. I can tell you right now that 90% coverage in those frequencies AND by 2012 is simply Imagine talking out of their holes .

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

All it's making everyone talk about is how it is likely to be a shambles with the lack of technical details, price plans and proper coverage maps. Shambles of a website, and to change the official launch date so close to the announced date is probaly not a good thing.

The fact that this is the billed as the great white hope of internet provisions says a lot about the provision of those services in this country. Joke.

I guess I must of embarrassed them, britney is gone:D

But by deleting it they just proved that they're reading this thread:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

gerky wrote: »
    I guess I must of embarrassed them, britney is gone:D

But by deleting it they just proved that they're reading this thread:)

Posted on twitter you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭JAMM222

i assume we will have to upgrade the wifi card in out laptops/netbooks to something like the intel 5350 in order to avail of this service?

JAMM222 wrote: »
    I assume we will have to upgrade the wifi card in out laptops/netbooks to something like the intel 5350 in order to avail of this service?

God no, the 5350 will not work at all ( wrong frequency) and will merely pollute MMDS TV bands :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

As a midlander I for one welcome any kind of competition for the Last Mile Broadband (Athlone is one of the mentioned locations for the rollout)

For years a lot of rural houses and businesses have been forced to use these incompetent over-priced morons. €38 per month for a 1mb connection (I've never seen a result go past 0.6mb on speedtest.net)

If half of what imagine are saying is true then they can count me in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

conti wrote: »

If half of what imagine are saying is true then they can count me in.

That's the question...which half?

conti wrote: »
    For years a lot of rural houses and businesses have been forced to use these incompetent over-priced morons.

I don't believe there will much, if any, rural coverage with this service. At least not initially anyway. The only commercially viable way of doing this is to cover urban areas, until money can be made, then expand.

Anything beyond the town centres and close surrounds will be the last thing to get coverage, if ever.

The only thing this brings is another option for areas that already have options. People without any option, or any kind of broadband/midband service, will not benefit.

Funny that. if you look at 3G coverage, one would say it's best in urban areas. Yet how come there are so many people using it??

There's a lot of people who have f**k all options while living in flats or in managed estates where internet/cable services are punted out to the highest bidder. And most private apartment blocks will not allow aerials/dishes on balconies/outside full stop.

That leaves you with Eircom, and associated costs (now temporarily very low admittely) or else one of the midband providers.

Granted, near-ubiquitous eircom DSL availability makes one vital avenue possible. But cities/towns are hardly unaffected by poor comms. policy and underinvestment. Technology choice is needed everywhere.

machalla wrote: »
    Posted on twitter you mean?

Sorry maybe I'm slow tonight but I don't get what you mean, one of the twitter accounts that the imagine business account was following was a porn based account for access to celeb XXX tapes, after I pointed it out here it quickly got deleted.

At least we now know imagine can't so well get in to the business of censorship:)

lol its a new twitter following over 400 and one of them is a porn twit account.

Any chance they have a script :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

i agree fully its not a great start, but maybe it might smooth out when they do get the site up and running.

When one has something to sell, then tell us. When one doesn't have something to sell, and makes a big fanfare out of nothing, expect criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

Its all Media hype if you ask me and just giving Imaine/Irish broadband free advertisement.
    I bet Watty is sitting out there on the side just itching to give his 2 cents on the subject!

Yea it is a load of waffles. I Supposedly live in an area that is 'live' according to the website. But I cant get it as they are upgrading their current customers first and they are unable to tell me how much they are charging the current customers.

This is the same company that gave away tenners a few years ago promoting the fact that were going to deliver broadband for a tenner. That never happened either.

onedmc wrote: »
    This is the same company that gave away tenners a few years ago promoting the fact that were going to deliver broadband for a tenner. That never happened either.

That was eircom Broadband Time, and I think Imagine were the only reseller to take up the wholesale option (mainly because it was sh*t). They did actually offer it for a while, but I don't think for very long. It should never have been called broadband either, as broadband is "always on", and 20 hours a month is far from always on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Mountrath

And today there pricing is still not on the website, but it still says pricing live Thursday 22nd ha ha, not like im going to benefit from there service in Mountrath anyway.:D

Advertisement