Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - RDS - 15th June

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Lambasting is quite a severe word to use here, .
    PLEASE PUT THAT SET LIST IN SPOILER TAGS!!!

WHY ON EARTH WOULD SOMEONE POST THE SET LIST 3 DAYS BEFORE THE CONCERT!!!!

Ahem.

Chill out, brother, and enjoy the show. If you take as much acid as Poncho used to when playing back in the 70s it won't matter what setlist you've read, it'll all sound cosmic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

@ Roland Goose: I wouldn't worry about seeing the setlist, bar about 5 songs he changes it almost nightly.

@ Nokiatom: If you have a pitch ticket you can stand anywhere.

This will be my 9th Neil Young gig, everyone of them so far has been fantastic. Roll on Satudray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

poundhound wrote: »
    This will be my 9th Neil Young gig, everyone of them so far has been fantastic.

That's good. Personally, I've always found him to be a bit hit and miss, depending on the venue and the band he has with him... or, as in Vicar Street, the absence of a band. As Mojo magazine once described him on the cover, he's a stubborn old buzzard. Twenty minutes of Scenery in the RDS was insufferable, and No Hidden Path in Malahide and Cork was worse.
    This would be my assessment of the times I've seen him. The good far outweigh the bad, but the bad were truly awful:

RDS w/Pearl Jam * (terrible venue, in fairness)
    Point w/Crazy Horse 1996 ***** (I regarded this as one of my favourite gigs for years)
    Point w/Crazy Horse 2001 ****
    Vicar Street *****
    Vicar Street *****
    Vicar Street ***** (the last night was the best: Ambulance Blues in the encore)
    Malahide Castle *
    Cork Marquee *** (a significant improvement on the previous night)
    Dublin O2 **** (worth the admission price for Burned alone)

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Iron Maiden, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭aristotle25

No doubt that he does his own thing and doesn't seem too bothered what the audience thinks.

I have seen him a few times:

Vicar St: Played the whole Greendale album acoustically by himself which wasn't great to be fair

New York: Same as vicar street except with Crazy Horse.

London: First half of gig acoustic just himself which was absolutely brilliant. Then crazy horse for 2nd half which was hard to get into as we were tuned into the quieter first half of the acoustic gig where it felt you were in your sitting room with Neil playing his guitar.

I don't like outdoor concerts anyways so am not going to RDS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

RDS is a bad venue regardless of the artist playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sevenshades

Anyone know of anywhere good in town to while away the hours before the gig? Or anything going on after? I'm thinking somewhere like bruxelles to for pre gig drinks but other gig goers may have suggestions...

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dots03

I want to try and get as close as possible to the front, but never having been at a gig in the RDS don't know what to expect.

Is there usually a section at the front for those who arrive first? Are wristbands handed out for this area?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

For those wanting to be in the pit at the RDS the usual drill is to Q at the Simmonscourt Rd entrance.

As for getting to the venue, I usually park at one of the southside DART stations and get the DART to Sandymount (3 min walk to RDS)

Best bars - Waterloo (Baggot St) if heading out from city centre!

As for the set list - ignore the spoilers - he's been changing it around a lot the last few nights - didn't even open with Love and only Love last night

A flavour of whats to come on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 28 longforddude

Anyone know of anywhere good in town to while away the hours before the gig? Or anything going on after? I'm thinking somewhere like bruxelles to for pre gig drinks but other gig goers may have suggestions...

from 12.30 parnell sq

Live Acts:
    Hassle Merchants
    CuCullen
    Reggulators
    Andy Earley
    The High Life

DJ Sets:
    Worries Outternational (Reggae)
    Barry Krishna (Hip hop/Reggae)
    Yoda (D&B)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Chelon

Am a big but not huge Neil Young fan but never seen him live, so was looking forward to this. However heard the first track from his new album and was less than impressed - indulgence is not a turn on for me.

As long as he doesn't waste half an hour on it on Saturday I'll be happy - and delighted to see the Waterboys as support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

who_ru wrote: »
    RDS is a bad venue regardless of the artist playing.
    Its better than a field in the middle of nowhere in Meath .

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭oorrccaa

What time would you want to be getting there to be close to the front for Waterboys and Neil?

oorrccaa wrote: »
    What time would you want to be getting there to be close to the front for Waterboys and Neil?

6/6.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Chelon wrote: »
    Am a big but not huge Neil Young fan but never seen him live, so was looking forward to this. However heard the first track from his new album and was less than impressed - indulgence is not a turn on for me.

As long as he doesn't waste half an hour on it on Saturday I'll be happy.

Have a feelin you're not going to be too impressed Saturday then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 pokethebear

phatkev wrote: »
    Agree, expect over indulgent use of feedack and long meandering solo's, few songs off the new album, coupe of obscure songs and plenty of horse fueled noise. If its Harvest and CSN&Y type material you want, sell your tickets and buy his archives. 2-3 acoustic songs in the mddle is al you'll get. This should be loud and ugly, just like the Horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

As long as he doesn't waste half an hour on it on Saturday I'll be happy - and delighted to see the Waterboys as support.

Completely disagree on that. The longer the song the happier I am. Rock on Neil, Rock on.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

Agree, expect over indulgent use of feedack and long meandering solo's, few songs off the new album, coupe of obscure songs and plenty of horse fueled noise. If its Harvest and CSN&Y type material you want, sell your tickets and buy his archives. 2-3 acoustic songs in the mddle is al you'll get. This should be loud and ugly, just like the Horse.

Great last sentence, sums it up for me. Ugly in a beautiful way! Seen Neil 3 times but yet to with Crazy Horse. Looking foward to this one more that any of the other 3, just for the noise.

phatkev wrote: »

Yeh kind of feeling that - don't get me wrong, I like his old stuff and most of his newer stuff. The last album I heard was "Living with war" which had some really strong songs on it, but I'm not sure if he does this kind of stuff when he's with Crazy Horse?

Let's hope the solos aren't too long for me...tbh I'd almost have paid the ticket price just to see the Waterboys, the Fisherman's Blues tour gig they did in Glasgow remains my best ever :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Seen Neil Young twice, once was one of the best gigs I was ever at while the other was one of the biggest let downs.

I'm not a fan at all of overly long guitar solos and general self indulgent stuff which I saw a lot of in Malahide, though the setlist was really good, I didn't leave with a very good feeling for the show.

The point in 2001 however was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 pokethebear

adrian522 wrote: »
    Seen Neil Young twice, once was one of the best gigs I was ever at while the other was one of the biggest let downs.

I'm not a fan at all of overly long guitar solos and general self indulgent stuff which I saw a lot of in Malahide, though the setlist was really good, I didn't leave with a very good feeling for the show.

The point in 2001 however was excellent.
    Agree that Malahide was poor but the night after in Cork was one of his best I'v seen so we just got him on a bad night that night. Don't think the venue suited him either. 5,000 people in a tent definitely did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Agree that Malahide was poor but the night after in Cork was one of his best I'v seen so we just got him on a bad night that night. Don't think the venue suited him either. 5,000 people in a tent definitely did.

I thought the Malahide Castle gig was excellent, No Hidden Path was great, with his introduction to it, indicating he was taking us on a journey!:)

Really enjoyed Malahide. But seriously if you didn't like Malahide you won't enjoy Neil with Crazy Horse one bit. Quote from Neil on Glasgow last night:

Neil Young:
    Neil Young back on for encore, “if you’re on the the train, you better leave; the train leaves in 9 minutes. You’ll still hear us…”

Review of Birmingham gig:
    One word of warning - if you have only 'Harvest' in your cd collection and want to tick off a Neil Young gig then you may be in for an ear-bleeding surprise.

Some of the songs in his set list can run over 20 minutes long. And I love it.

One thing I find about Neil Young concerts is that people arrive on not expecting the earbleeders and complain that the gig was ****, when in fact It was Neil doing what he does best.

Another thing to note is that regular reviews say that Neil is 'on fire' and 'in the zone'. With Crazy Horse on board that can only mean one thing....

SMELL THE HORSE OFF THIS ONE!!!

Would love to see them do Like a Hurricane. Seen him do it before but not with the Horse.

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Some concert Info:
    Gates Open: 16:00
    Little Green Cars: 17:00
    Los Lobos: 18:00
    The Waterboys: 19:15
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse: 20:30

Arrive Early - Patrons are advised to be in the concert arena 30 minutes prior to show time.

* Times are subject to change

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Guill wrote: »
    Really enjoyed Malahide. But seriously if you didn't like Malahide you won't enjoy Neil with Crazy Horse one bit.

This is a kind of attitude I hate. If you didn't like one particular gig you won't like any.

Not all gigs are the same, some are better than others, it is possible to enjoy one gig and not enjoy another.

For a start Malahide is a s**t venue, loads of people apparently interested in getting s**tfaced than watching the band.

They played the point in 2001 and I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more. One of the best gigs I was ever at.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    This is a kind of attitude I hate. If you didn't like one particular gig you won't like any.

Not all gigs are the same, some are better than others, it is possible to enjoy one gig and not enjoy another.

For a start Malahide is a s**t venue, loads of people apparently interested in getting s**tfaced than watching the band.

They played the point in 2001 and I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more. One of the best gigs I was ever at.

Take my comment in context and you might understand. Someone said they didn't like Malahide cause of the over indulgent guitar solos. I replied that means they won't enjoy tomorrow as I know it will be full of guitar solo's. I never said the person won't like any of his gigs....

Edit: It was you!!! Seriously??

Yeah, that was me. I still maintain it was a poor gig by NY standards, and I've heard the same from a fair few others.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't go see him again though and certainly doesn't mean that I couldn't enjoy ANY Neil Young with Crazy Horse gig.

At least I don't think so.

Lets just both enjoy Neil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy9zhUrSMcQ

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pinkman

22-26K expected by Aiken Promotions according to the IT. Should be a great gig - the support acts are top notch as well.

Guill wrote: »

Unfortunately Youtube is a nogo area for me in work but I'll take a look this evening!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Guill, Im with you 100%.

Ive seen Neil Young 8 times and the "loud" shows with Crazy Horse are always the best.

@Adrian522, Malahide is a fantastic venue, easy access to toilets and bars and a 10min walk to a DART station and civilisation.

You can hardly label a venue as **** because the crowd who show up want to over indulge in alcohol. By that mindset, a venue with no bar would be brilliant?!

I have Neil Youngs gig in Malahide on 2 CD's and the performances of "Love and Only love", "Hey Hey My My" and "No Hidden Path" are nothing short of amazing. Indeed, the latter song clocked in at 32mins.

Tomorrow promises more of the same and I for one cannot f@ckin wait!

Guill, Im with you 100%.

Ive seen Neil Young 8 times and the "loud" shows with Crazy Horse are always the best.

@Adrian522, Malahide is a fantastic venue, easy access to toilets and bars and a 10min walk to a DART station and civilisation.

You can hardly label a venue as **** because the crowd who show up want to over indulge in alcohol. By that mindset, a venue with no bar would be brilliant?!

I have Neil Youngs gig in Malahide on 2 CD's and the performances of "Love and Only love", "Hey Hey My My" and "No Hidden Path" are nothing short of amazing. Indeed, the latter song clocked in at 32mins.

I don't know, never a fan of gigs in that pace for whatever reason, been to 3 gigs there and didn't overly enjoy any of them, couldn't put my finger on it to be honest.

Agree tomorrow should be good, seems to be doing good things on this tour.

Guill, Im with you 100%.

I need a copy of this.
    Where and how?

I remember no hidden path! It was unbelievable! I danced around like a hippy for the whole lot!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭ponceprhea

Can people with standing tickets enter at any entrance or just the entrance stated on the ticket as mine has a different entrance to a friends standing ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I really can't wait for this now. It should be a fantastic night. If they played Cortez The Killer that would just top it off.

Lookng at the weather, if it's wet, would you need boots etc? Never been to gig there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Its a show-jumping arena. I suggest you take a little trip to your local Blacksmith for appropriate footwear.:D

Saw him at Slane in 93 and indoors RDS with Pearl Jam in '95. Serious ear bleeder that one.

This will be my first with the Horse ( and probably last). Great to see him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jimosterberg

Lookng at the weather, if it's wet, would you need boots etc? Never been to gig there before.

That white plastic stuff will be on the pitch! No wellies needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Heading up to the RDS with the missus tomorrow, the weather forecast doesn't look too bad for the evening.

I was persuaded to buy seated tickets in the stand, hopefully will have a good view of the stage, at least Neil won't be bouncing around too much at his age.

I've only seen him once before (in Slane), really looking forward to this one. Cortez or Hurricane would be great, but some of the stuff from the new album is pretty good (Walk Like a Giant, Ramada Inn).

Shakey won't be touring for too much longer, enjoy the show everyone. After all, it's better to burn out than fade away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Met.ie says no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

What time are water boys on at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Flysfisher wrote: »

about 7 or half past i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Flysfisher wrote: »
    Waterboys 7.15
    Neil Young 8.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I hope he plays Drifting back along with some of his other loud classics tonight. Those 20 plus minute songs with the guitar raging in anger are my type of Neil Young song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭furiousox

Well that was...meh...
    More to follow...no doubt.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Worse than meh, not a patch on the O2 gig. A mate of mine was halfway back in the south stand and couldn't hear a thing with the westerly breeze/wind. Was their a vid screen back there even?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

The only good thing about that was the free tickets (and Cortez)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭epiphone

Worst concert ever! Bad sound, terrible play list, no atmosphere. First time we ever left a concert early. People were booing at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

epiphone wrote: »
    Worst concert ever! Bad sound, terrible play list, no atmosphere. First time we ever left a concert early. People were booing at one point.

Have to agree. I am a big neil fan for 30 years, seen all his shows in Ireland. This was awful self indulgent bollocks.
    The rds is a dump.
    Awful, awful stuff. I want my money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Maybe I'm a bit clueless with me being young and it being my first NY gig but I thought he was good! Went on too long with the solos and the strange feedback noises at times (especially during Ramada Inn I think it was?) but other than that I thought his singing was pretty perfect and his playing was decent. I was about 10 rows from the front standing.

Advertisement