Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulletproof Coffee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

I'm not doing a bulletproof protocol but when I'm drinking coffee or green tea, I add a tsp of coconut oil. I'm thinking of switching to MCT oil as I've heard that in a pure form the triglycerides have a better effect on the body. I'm not sure, though... Coconut oil seems quite natural but I don't know how MCT oil is processed and whether it makes evolutionary sense for humans to consume that much of it. In any case, where can I get some in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

My nerves have been at me lately so Ive stopped the bulletproof coffee. I ended up with butter, virgin coconut oil and mct oil and manuka honey in it each morning.

Im now experimenting with the opposite - no tea or coffee/caffeine at all to see if it was this tanked up coffee that was the problem.

You can get mct oil in sports nutrition shops I believe. I got mine from castle street in Bray, some Polish sports nutrition shop I believe. €12.same price online I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Dutchy

Had a bullet proof coffee this morning. A good lump of, salt free, real butter along with an even bigger lump of coconut oil. Really tasty stuff and I was, literally, flying after it. Needless to say It's the same again tomorrow morn.

One question - is this gonna put the cholestrol levels through the roof? Mine is high as it is so don't want to compromise anything. I'm a believer that being diagnosed with high cholestrol is b.s. (bar bad cholestrol) but as butter is from an animal just want to make sure I'm not going to be crippled over in a few months drinking this every morning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Have your levels tested its the only sure way to know, either way its not high cholesterol on its own that causes us problems its the combination of inflammation or damaged arteries with cholesterol that problems start.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭onlyup

Dutchy wrote: »
    Had a bullet proof coffee this morning. A good lump of, salt free, real butter along with an even bigger lump of coconut oil. Really tasty stuff and I was, literally, flying after it. Needless to say It's the same again tomorrow morn.

One question - is this gonna put the cholestrol levels through the roof? Mine is high as it is so don't want to compromise anything. I'm a believer that being diagnosed with high cholestrol is b.s. (bar bad cholestrol) but as butter is from an animal just want to make sure I'm not going to be crippled over in a few months drinking this every morning ?

what coffee did you use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Dutchy

onlyup wrote: »

what coffee did you use?

Amazon search suna fair trade organic Honduras coffee beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Anthropology

Well to answer the initial question:
    Its rare to find wet processed coffee beans...I've even spoken to guy at 3TF (https://twitter.com/3fe) and they thought I was a little crazy asking for high altitude, single source, wet processed only coffee beans.

I did find a UK source:
    http://ravecoffee.co.uk/shop/single-origin-coffee/Huehuetenango
    http://ravecoffee.co.uk/shop/single-origin-coffee/Cerro-de-Ataco-Jasal
    'Sun-dried' and 'Patio dried' do not sound ideal but its quite close to key reducers of mycotoxins.

You can get the Dave Asprey's coffee from: http://www.xbrain.co.uk/bulletproof-upgraded-coffee-p-238-c-180.aspx it's not nicely priced and hopefully when they have 5lbs bags it will be more viable.

'Bulletproof Coffee' is legit. Consuming high(er) fat is an ideal way to live. When your body fuels from mostly fat you age slower than the inefficient sugar metabolism model most people are on. Medium Chain Triglycerides are converted into ketone bodies in the liver (stomach/intestines direct to liver via lymph system) which can be used as a fuel source by the body (and brain).

The combination of high grade coffee, grassfed butter (CLA, Saturated fat + butyrate acid) and MCT create a slow digesting combination of nutrients that give you a wallop of awesome.

It's true about the fat intake to begin with, you'll have to taper up slowly to get your body to adapt.

Coconut oil is ~50-75% MCT it's not the same as 100% MCT and not near 100% caprylic acid (the MCT that is responsible for major cognitive boost).

I would like to know where @briano.de.rhino got MCT Oil for €12!

MCT on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006B7O3GS?ie=UTF8&camp=3194&creative=21330&creativeASIN=B006B7O3GS&linkCode=shr&tag=evolvunive-21&colid=3JDXMNFGK5BAM&coliid=I1AO9PLBPGKKY5
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007BNAQY4?ie=UTF8&camp=3194&creative=21330&creativeASIN=B007BNAQY4&linkCode=shr&tag=evolvunive-21&colid=3JDXMNFGK5BAM&coliid=I136UB2ZS5SQA1

I would only worry about cholesterol if you were eating a lot of carbs and/or fructose.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Just out of curiosity, what exactly are the grassfed butter brands? Or being in Ireland, is it safe to assume that all homegrown brands are grassfed?

I haven't seen any info about the feeding methods on butter packaging, and any google results I've found have been petty organic vs non-organic arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Danny_Lennon

Just out of curiosity, what exactly are the grassfed butter brands? Or being in Ireland, is it safe to assume that all homegrown brands are grassfed?

I haven't seen any info about the feeding methods on butter packaging, and any google results I've found have been petty organic vs non-organic arguments.

Yeah all real Irish butter is "grass-fed". In the States, Kerrygold is a big seller for this reason.

Kerrygold, Avonmore, and even all the store brands are all perfect, as long as it's real, full-fat butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Anthropology

Most butter in Ireland is predominately 'grass fed' but there would be periods of grain feeding 10-15% during winter.

http://kerrygoldusa.com/faq/#qa34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Danny_Lennon

Most butter in Ireland is predominately 'grass fed' but there would be periods of grain feeding 10-15% during winter.

http://kerrygoldusa.com/faq/#qa34

True. While not ideal, even at that level I don't think it's going to have a massive impact on the fat profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Transform wrote: »

So when he says higher cholesterol is good for the elderly. I presume he means where your HDL is high and LDL is still quite low?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

colman1212 wrote: »
    So when he says higher cholesterol is good for the elderly. I presume he means where your HDL is high and LDL is still quite low?
    yup and you know the numbers and difference between particle size on your LDL also

Overall i think a simple hip waist measurement is a pretty good predictor of health

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I tried this a couple of months ago for a week or so but had to stop as it was making me feel really nauseous, I just used cheap coffee as I am not a coffee drinker usually, I am used to eating coconut oil and a good bit of butter so it must have been the coffee that made me feel like crap.

I didn't realise for the first few days that it was the coffee that was making me nauseous as I was just getting over a bug so I presumed I was still sick until I realised it was the coffee, never again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I love a cup of bulletproof in the morning before going to the gym. It gives me energy to do heavy weights for an hour and when I get home I'm still not hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Holyjebus

Can anyone recommend a coffee that can be bought in supermarkets here?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭macco66

Folks, anywhere in Dublin I can purchase this guy's Bulletproof coffee? I want to see for myself if there's any difference. Nice one,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

macco66 wrote: »
    Folks, anywhere in Dublin I can purchase this guy's Bulletproof coffee? I want to see for myself if there's any difference. Nice one,

the trick is in the fats. Upselling their brand of coffee is a gimmick. Save your cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Thinking of ordering this MCT Oil. I don't have a coffee grinder. Would it really matter if I just used regular instant coffee? I don't care about the taste. Just want something I can make quickly during my morning scramble before work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

CM24 wrote: »
    Thinking of ordering this MCT Oil. I don't have a coffee grinder. Would it really matter if I just used regular instant coffee? I don't care about the taste. Just want something I can make quickly during my morning scramble before work.

Cheaper from iherb, Now is a good brand in general.

I wouldn't drink instant, better off with a caffitiere and some good quality group coffee if you don't want to grind your own.

I have a cup most days with either ghee, coconut oil or hazlenut oil (very tasty).

I live in Dublin. Is it much hassle to order from iHerb? I see it has to come from the U.S. I hate ordering stuff online cos there always seems to be some random delay and extra hidden costs! Couldn't find any MCT oil in the supp shops I checked today though. Also, I'm a noob when it comes to coffee making. Had to google what a cafitiere was. Thanks for the suggestion but it seems like a bit too much hassle for me TBH. I don't enjoy the process of preparing things at all, especially in the morning!

I've never had any trouble getting orders from them, never been caught for customs or anything.
    Cafitierre is easy, no harder than making a cup of tea :)
    =

easiest coffee making implement is the aeropress. i picked one up for €5 in a market the other week.no oils or coffee crumbs unlike a cafatiere and cleans in 5 seconds flat. and it looks like science in my kitchen.

easiest coffee making implement is the aeropress. i picked one up for €5 in a market the other week.no oils or coffee crumbs unlike a cafatiere and cleans in 5 seconds flat. and it looks like science in my kitchen.

Wow, I thought they were more expensive than that, would like to try one, where'd you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

Made my own bulletproof coffee with coconut oil a few months ago..loved the taste..then about an hour later had the worst anxiety attacks and heart palpitations for the rest if the day :/ anyone else suffer this? Haven't tried it since..

in a market, brand new but years old probably. new they are 30-40 quid i think.still better than a cafatiere and worth the money.im excited each morning to make my coffee. and its a cleaner and stronger brew and easy to make an espresso.dead easy to clean. i re use the filters for 3-4 days, quick rinse in water.cant recommend it enough.

Gave CoffeeAngel on Pembrooke st. several calls today to inquire about the Aeropress. No answer. Will try head in there tomorrow to buy one. It's right beside where I work. Looks like exactly what I'm after.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I've had an aeropress for over a year now and have officially made 700 cups of coffee with it (used two packs of 350 filters) and its still going strong.

I think I need to get a replacement rubber bung for it though, it's getting a bit loose and I have to leave it in booking water for a minute now to get a good seal, but other than that it's been great.

The best endorsement I can give is that I got it as a stopgap measure over a year ago before buying a decent bean to cup machine and I still haven't actually got one yet thanks to the aeropress. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Mofty

Made my own bulletproof coffee with coconut oil a few months ago..loved the taste..then about an hour later had the worst anxiety attacks and heart palpitations for the rest if the day :/ anyone else suffer this? Haven't tried it since..
    I had a similar experience. So i experimented with different coffee beans, this is the best one i've come across, http://www.coffeemojo.ie/coffee/single+origin/finca+muxbal.html . I also have my coffee with clarified butter and Mct oil. I've never felt better.

Advertisement