Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

Fooker wrote: »
    They should not be advertising dicounts for things students are already entitled to and if there are proper discounts they should be giving away the cards to their members for FREE! What really is annoying is saying that the card would save everyone a minimum of €1000 euro a year...

So they're giving a grand off fees now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Ficheall wrote: »
    What offer have the Eglinton got for BizSoc students? That's one I might actually use...

20% off registration fees & 10% off pool & snooker
    What really is annoying is saying that the card would save everyone a minimum of €1000 euro a year

A&F presumed €400, BizSoc didn't give any figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

But there's already a student discount, and one can't apply both a student discount and a membership discount, so I fail to see the saving here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

Reillyman wrote: »
    I'm sure the bouncers at CP's would laugh if you said you were entitled to €2 off with your NUIG ID
    I'm sure after flashing your Accountancy & Finance membership card for a discount at a nightclub, the bouncers laugh at you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 muselover

Does anyone know where one can scan something in NUIG?

muselover wrote: »
    Does anyone know where one can scan something in NUIG?

I think those printers in the library offer that service don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DessieMG

bitch about the college bar:
    had to pay 30c the last day just to get mayonaisse on my chicken burger,
    the fact that u have to pay 1.50 per game of pool, considering that theyve already made their money back twice on those things, 1euro would be grand! i mean it is the college bar, run by the students union, FOR students...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

DessieMG wrote: »
    the fact that u have to pay 1.50 per game of pool, considering that theyve already made their money back twice on those things, 1euro would be grand! i mean it is the college bar, run by the students union, FOR students...

While I see where you're coming from on an ethical point...

College Bar is run by Student Union Commercial Services Ltd.

A limited company, that operates for profit... go figure!

Are there pool tables in 'The Space', or whatever it's called (formerly The Hub) - If so, any cheaper in there?

It's still the Hub. The "Space" is the tiny room upstairs down at the end of the hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭NuckyT

JohnCleary wrote: »

Are there pool tables in 'The Space', or whatever it's called (formerly The Hub) - If so, any cheaper in there?

€1 in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

JohnCleary wrote: »

College Bar is run by Student Union Commercial Services Ltd.

A limited company, that operates for profit... go figure!

Not exactly.
    Profits are funnelled back into the Union finances.
    The ltd company status is necessary incase commercial services go bankrupt or lose loads of money or something, if it was part of the Union then this would mean that we are all liable for debts incurred.
    If it is a limited liability company this protects student interests and doesn't risk the actual Union its self.
    The Student Unoin Commercial Services has a board of directors also who are elected directly by the SU Exec so they are certainly accountable to the SU.

I hope this clears things up a bit

DessieMG wrote: »
    The mayonnaise thing was a tax for having dire taste in condiments.

1.50 for a game of pool is a joke though. Even a euro takes the piss a bit. The pool tables are the only good thing about the College Bar and the only "pub" (lol) with a pool table that isn't a knacker magnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Sent my laptop away to get fixed so for now I have to use the PC suites. Its a ****ing pain in the ass, they are booked half the time for a class/exam and it takes 10 minutes to log in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 galwaystudent

MadYaker wrote: »
    Sent my laptop away to get fixed so for now I have to use the PC suites. Its a ****ing pain in the ass, they are booked half the time for a class/exam and it takes 10 minutes to log in!

Can anyone explain to me why it takes 10 mins to log onto a pc in 2011, when I could log on in seconds 12 years ago in Waterford IT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Can anyone explain to me why it takes 10 mins to log onto a pc in 2011, when I could log on in seconds 12 years ago in Waterford IT?
    They upgraded from XP to Win7 so now it takes an age to load, but CosmicFrog posted this fix. Doesn't always work though. Tried in the old Engineering building suite but still took ages to log in.
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete during the "Logging in" phase and it logs you in right away. No idea why the hell this is. Someone told me about it a few days ago.

I envision every PC in the next few weeks having an NUI Galway-branded Post-It note stuck to its monitor with these exact instructions. Probably easier than contacting Microsoft for an actual fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭einshteen

About time I hopped on this thread. Had my campus account disabled today without explanation. Assuming it's to do with registration but the registration site gives the impression that postgrads don't have to register in their second year (and I never got any email or other contact about registration).

Can't get on the wifi, can't get on blackboard - and I know that if it's a registration issue they'll start asking me for €200 (which I don't have and I'm not paying for an administrative screw-up anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary90

Anyone know why every site including blackboard and outlook seems to be coming up as having a problem with the safety certificate? Its getting awfully annoying!!

How come the vending machines have different prices? I tried to get a Lucozade from the one in the concourse and it said 1.50, but the machine didn't work (as usual), went over to Aras Ui Chathail and it was 1.80, and then checked the one outside An Bialann and it was 1.60?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Euskadi1888

So after having to yet again deal with the NUIG printers which refuse to work as they should, I figured I might drop ISS a line to ask them what the story was.

I went on the site and proceeded to open a ticket..

aPecJ.png

Nice one :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Lads, the pool isn't cheap for the first game, but all the following ones are free. Stuff the pockets with coffee cups or sheets of SIN paper.

Lads, the pool isn't cheap for the first game, but all the following ones are free. Stuff the pockets with coffee cups or sheets of SIN paper.

You could nearly make a few quid if you explained your approach to the lads playing pool :p

constantg wrote: »
    You could nearly make a few quid if you explained your approach to the lads playing pool :p

As nice as it would be to spend the whole day correcting people, or showing them how to do simple things, I doubt many of them would pay me for it.

Ah they might - you could advise them to lie to cashiers and tell them they've taken a tea instead of a coffee, or that they slip in the bathroom and sue.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Ah they might - you could advise them to lie to cashiers and tell them they've taken a tea instead of a coffee, or that they slip in the bathroom and sue.

See that's the spirit!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

What going on with the librarys website?!?

When you search for articles it comes up empty..Argh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

That cunt in the library eating from a noisy bag of popcorn, what the fuck are you doing!?

Nailz wrote: »
    That cunt in the library eating from a noisy bag of popcorn, what the fuck are you doing!?

Security do much these days? Stroll out to the chap on the door and ask him is it still forbidden to eat in the library....

Security do much these days? Stroll out to the chap on the door and ask him is it still forbidden to eat in the library....

I got told to not eat any more mints by LiboCop at one stage. I wouldn't have minded but the library was empty and I was the only one in that part of the science floor.

I have a feeling that he just had a really dry sense of humour in hindsight.

Well it appears that they don't do too much, although they were asking for ID on Wednesday oddly enough... I always study on the second floor, so it's just too much effort to walk down to him. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Yeah the library security do a pretty shite job.

Every morning up on the second floor, although it probably happens throughout the library, a few douchbags swan in and place a laptop/charger up on a desk usually by the window and then fcuk of for a couple of hours.

It doesn't bother me as in I already have a seat, however it reduces the choice of seats for other students arriving in to the library to actually do a bit of studying.

• Advertisement

And the security guard on the second floor who comes up at around about 9:50pm and turns on and off the lights repeatedly as if I give a fuck, it's not closing time yet, I guarantee that I will out by 10. But I'm stubborn enough to push it when you turn off the lights...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Tinkerbell22

Um, could somebody please tell me where the f*ck room AC202 is???? :confused:
    Its like trying to find flippin Narnia. Ive been wandering round like an eejit but no luck :mad:
    Heeeeeeeelllllpppp :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭AD61

Um, could somebody please tell me where the f*ck room AC202 is???? :confused:
    Its like trying to find flippin Narnia. Ive been wandering round like an eejit but no luck :mad:
    Heeeeeeeelllllpppp :p

Its on the concourse, one of the rooms between O'Flaherty and Larmor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Tinkerbell22

Thank you AD61 :)
    Think I actually may have walked past it..........typical........ooops lol :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭NuckyT

That one maths lecturer who wont use f*cking blackboard!!!! I mean is it really hard to put slides up!! :mad: :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

NuckyT wrote: »
    That one maths lecturer who wont use f*cking blackboard!!!! I mean is it really hard to put slides up!! :mad: :mad::mad:

Oh believe me, there's plenty of lecturers who won't use Blackboard. And plenty more that don't make their notes available at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

NuckyT wrote: »
    Oh believe me, there's plenty of lecturers who won't use Blackboard. And plenty more that don't make their notes available at all.

They often have their reasons. I've known lecturers to stop putting slides up because of lecture attendance.

As a class rep, I had to argue with one of my lecturers to get him to put his slides up. In the end, he put them up at the end of teaching, which was nice.
    Nailz wrote: »
    And the security guard on the second floor who comes up at around about 9:50pm and turns on and off the lights repeatedly as if I give a fuck, it's not closing time yet, I guarantee that I will out by 10. But I'm stubborn enough to push it when you turn off the lights...
    He's done at twenty to, at least once. I will flake an anthology at him one of these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary90

Now that the hub is run by the students union should they not start giving points on the SU cards aswell? Or is there a reason that they dont?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭PeadarGalway

Surprised that nobody has mentioned the new reading room arrangement - the doors switched on today... queues trying to get in and out...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 carab906

just thought i would mention the extremely poor toilet facilities in the concourse, one of the cubicles has been out of order for over two weeks now, there is always a long queue due to the fact that each room only has about 2/3 cubicles, half the time they are out of toilet paper. Some of the taps are fscked, the hand dryer thingy in two of the toilets doesn't work, and of course, who can forget the smell!!!! most of the time they are used on the hour (between lectures) so there's bound to be a certain amount of traffic in them at those times, a revamp is obviously needed, most of the time i end up going to Aras ui cathaill because the ladies toilets are always empty there, and for the most part clean enough.... even though one of the cubicle doors fell off in my hands as i was closing it... :o rant over lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

Surprised that nobody has mentioned the new reading room arrangement - the doors switched on today... queues trying to get in and out...

I'd say that will stop fairly quickly when people realise they will actually need to bring their cards with them... it's not like there haven't been signs up telling people this was happening.

I don't understand why you need to use your card twice to get in though - one for each door..

mary90 wrote: »
    Now that the hub is run by the students union should they not start giving points on the SU cards aswell? Or is there a reason that they
    dont?

They do, but you have to get a receipt and bring it up to the SU. They haven't got the machine yet, or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Why is half the Bialann seating generally closed off when it's hard to find seats in the packed open part!

Also, regularly overcharged there.. they're always trying to charge twice for a drink etc. Check your receipt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

foto joe wrote: »
    Why is half the Bialann seating generally closed off when it's hard to find seats in the packed open part!

Had that problem. They are also extremely rude if you even attempt to sit down. I assume it is so they can get them clean but why they can't do this after the restaurant is closed in the evening is beyond me.

the jax in the IT building are smelling up again and the cubicles are in sh.ite order these days. Is it so hard to employ someone to caretake?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

foto joe wrote: »

Yeah this is one of the most annoying things ever, and is one of the (several) reasons I haven't eaten there much this year. Last Friday a couple of friends and I got lunch at about 2.30pm, sat at the orange seats near Subway, and were just in the middle of eating when one of the staff told us we had to move because "the area was closing". The whole place was packed. Where did they expect us to sit? I can understand closing an area towards the end of the day when it's quiet, but really? what sort of restaurant asks you to move while you're eating? Absolutely horrible service.

Was in the Bhialann today getting a sandwich. Asked the girl for a sandwich with chicken and bacon, then asked if they had any stuffing. She gazed around the fridge for a few seconds then, without acknowledging my question, said "...and bacon, yes?". I said, "Yeah, so ye don't have any stuffing?". She turned around 90 degrees, glanced left and right, turned back to me and said, "Is that everything?".

...what? No simple, "No, sorry"? No acknowledgement whatsoever? She just completely ignored the question. Boggle...

Also, posting on Boards right now since two lovely ladies next to me in the Reading Room wouldn't shut the hell up. Oh, they've just got up and left the room together. Presumably to do girl things.

Some bitches never know when to shut the fuck up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Library's quiet enough now, and surprisingly not too hot or too cold, if you can't stand listening to them jabber on, Frog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Also, posting on Boards right now since two lovely ladies next to me in the Reading Room wouldn't shut the hell up. Oh, they've just got up and left the room together. Presumably to do girl things.
    And you didn't s-h-neak out after them?!

Duuuuuuuuude!!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

Library's quiet enough now, and surprisingly not too hot or too cold, if you can't stand listening to them jabber on, Frog.
    Implying that the same stupid, inconsiderate behaviour doesn't go on in the library, too. Last week, I had three girls chatting away about what a great night they were going to have at the local cattle market (Carbon I think they call it).

Advertisement