Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stomach fat when sitting down.

Options
  • 11-04-2014 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

I think i'm a healthy weight.. 11 stone and 7 pounds, 6 foot 1 and 22 years of age.

I'm not sure about my body fat % but my BMI says i'm a healthy weight.

When standing up i'm fine but when sitting down my stomach developes roles of fat that looks very unattractive.

It's making me feel a bit paranoid.. Any information or advice please? is it normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭antoswords

carzony wrote: »
    I think i'm a healthy weight.. 11 stone and 7 pounds, 6 foot 1 and 22 years of age.

When standing up i'm fine but when sitting down my stomach developes roles of fat that looks very unattractive.

It's making me feel a bit paranoid.. Any information or advice please? is it normal?

Never sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

theres no excuse, your a fattty boom-ba-latty. standing up is obviously just hiding it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Yeah this happens to everyone. The key to beat this is as has been pointed out never be caught in a situation that requires sitting down. This involves a lot of planning ahead.

Seriously though don't worry about this. I recently saw a tumblr picture of some girl real thin, nice frame etc. and then it showed pictures of her in different positions showing the effects lighting and poses have on how the body looks and the same thing happens. Don't have the link handy right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

How is your diet and do you do any training? Not everybody has rolls of fat when they sit down but those people are usually training (weight training and core training). Have you heard the term 'skinny fat'?

If you're not eating well and not training this may apply to you

How is your diet and do you do any training? Not everybody has rolls of fat when they sit down but those people are usually training (weight training and core training). Have you heard the term 'skinny fat'?

If you're not eating well and not training this may apply to you

If you slouch forward like the vast majority of people who work at desks you do.

Skinny fat does not mean abdominal fat. It just means you're thin with no muscles. Not relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

How do you know it's irrelevant and that the OP works at a desk? He/she hasn't given that information which is why I asked him/her to elaborate on their training and general diet. Completely reasonable questions in my opinion. Maybe you should allow the OP to decide what's relevant

How do you know it's irrelevant and that the OP works at a desk? He/she hasn't given that information which is why I asked him/her to elaborate on their training and general diet. Completely reasonable questions in my opinion. Maybe you should allow the OP to decide what's relevant

Skinny fat is not relevent cause it;s not what the OP asked about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The OP doesn't know enough to know what is relevant and what is not. Hence the original question.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You should probably adjust your diet to lose a little weight. Your bodyfat is too high if you're feeling self-conscious about belly flab when you sit down.

To clarify: You're not overweight for your height, but it does sound like a composition problem. You should lift weights :D Also, if you know your waist measurement you can get a rough bodyfat estimate. Actual waist measured with a tape, not your pants size.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'd have thought the fat down there at the bottom of the belly is just the hardest to lose. As if it's the first place the body puts it and the last place it takes it from. Are you saying that some lifting / upper body work would flatten it out? Got any links to stuff to read on that?

• Advertisement

Lifting weights burns calories and builds muscle, which also burns more calories. I'm not saying it will magic wand away stomach fat, it will help achieve and maintain a calorie deficit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Are you a man or woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Are you a man or woman?

male..

I'v absolutely no muscle atall. My arms are tiny.. I know women the same age as me who have bigger arms:o

would people reccomend jogging or lifting? I walk 1 hour a day, everyday as a rule but doesnt really seem to be maing any difference for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You're a young man, you should have some muscle and strength. It will stand to you later in life. :)

An hour's walking a day is great for your health. You should definitely think about doing some strength based training - nothing wrong with some push ups / sit ups / air squats / planks to get you started...

I'v absolutely no muscle atall. My arms are tiny.. I know women the same age as me who have bigger arms:o

Well, there's your problem. Too much body fat, too little muscle.
    would people reccomend jogging or lifting? I walk 1 hour a day, everyday as a rule but doesnt really seem to be maing any difference for me..

Lift weights. Cardio is fine and all, but all running will do is help burn off a few extra calories. Whereas if you lift lots of heavy things you will burn calories while doing it, increase muscle mass - which means you will naturally burn more calories just by being alive - you'll be stronger, you'll look great - basically everyone should lift weights.

If you know nothing about how all this stuff works, most gyms will have trainers you can hire for about 25 quid per hour, you can get them to do an hour or two to show you a basic strength plan. Or google it. There's more advice and recommended plans out there than you can shake a stick at.

Also learn about how to eat properly, and learn to cook your own meals if you don't already. Losing fat is mostly about diet, exercise only helps. Lifting weights helps do all that other stuff too.

What weight would you start off with? I think i'v a few weights in the shed I can lift.. Not sure how heavy they should be? and would I need to take some of that protein shake stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Slydice wrote: »
    Are you saying that some lifting / upper body work would flatten it out? Got any links to stuff to read on that?
    What sort of stuff are you looking for?
    Weight training (and other activity) assists fat loss. It's that simple.
    would people reccomend jogging or lifting? I walk 1 hour a day, everyday as a rule but doesnt really seem to be making any difference for me..

Given your upperbody/muscle description. If recommend weight training to build strength/muscle.
    Tbh, 1 hour a day isn't a whole lot. Between walking to bus/work/lunch/home I prob accumulate 1 hour walking without doing anything else. And I've a desk job.

Mellor wrote: »
    What sort of stuff are you looking for?
    Weight training (and other activity) assists fat loss. It's that simple.

Given your upperbody/muscle description. If recommend weight training to build strength/muscle.
    Tbh, 1 hour a day isn't a whole lot. Between walking to bus/work/lunch/home I prob accumulate 1 hour walking without doing anything else. And I've a desk job.

but isnt 1 hour excercise reccomended to stay healthy?

All exercises aren't equal. 1 hour of walking hardly counts. An hour of sprinting would be astoundingly hard. An hour of heavy weights is a damn good workout.

There's no point asking what weight to start on, it entirely depends on you. There's also a million other things to consider, like how many repetitions, how many sets, etc. Honestly, hire a trainer for an hour to show you the basics or google a starter weight training program. Look up videos on how to do different exercises properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Intensity plays a much bigger factor than time.
    Just because "exercise" is your reason for going for a walk, if the intensity I its no different than 1 hour built up over a day naturally. Which isn't a lot depending on your daily life. Somebody who works on their feet might build up 4-8 hours a day.

If you want to tackle stomach fat you need to sort your diet and do some exercise with a bit of intensity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

how-i-feel-standing-up.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Go down the gym and workout if you want more muscle but whatever you do don't lose weight. You are at a perfectly healthy weight for a male of your height and age.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Sit up straight?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

Zillah wrote: »
    All exercises aren't equal. 1 hour of walking hardly counts. An hour of sprinting would be astoundingly hard. An hour of heavy weights is a damn good workout.

sorry to jump in, but is 1 hour of walking a complete waste?
    Im walking 6.5k in an hour, (trying to get into joggin) is this a waste of time? should i be doing something else, in order to get fitter and loose weight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ShaggyQueen

Im walking 6.5k in an hour, (trying to get into joggin) is this a waste of time? should i be doing something else, in order to get fitter and loose weight?

Keep trying to jog. I started out walking a 6km route with the dog, used to jog maybe 200m before I had to stop. Now I can jog the route (and longer) relatively easily. Will burn more calories, but the main benefit for me was more just the general feeling after a run. I feel a lot physically fitter and mentally better with regular running

Keep trying to jog. I started out walking a 6km route with the dog, used to jog maybe 200m before I had to stop. Now I can jog the route (and longer) relatively easily. Will burn more calories, but the main benefit for me was more just the general feeling after a run. I feel a lot physically fitter and mentally better with regular running

Thanks for that, im at 400m before i have to stop :D. Im glad im not the only one who started this way.
    How long before you could jog the 6k?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

No its not a waste, but it wont be as good as jogging, which wont be as good as hill sprints, which wont be as good as etc etc.

If your goal is to jog then just start jogging and walk then to catch your breath before jogging again.

If you are looking to loose weight then your diet will be the major factor though.

No its not a waste, but it wont be as good as jogging, which wont be as good as hill sprints, which wont be as good as etc etc.

If your goal is to jog then just start jogging and walk then to catch your breath before jogging again.

If you are looking to loose weight then your diet will be the major factor though.

Thanks, funnily Im thinking of doing sprinting aswel if i can. i have to research this, how long, how many, how far etc.

My diet is a funny topic. I eat once a day, always have. if i eat regularly i put on more weight. i get killed for this when i mention it to anyone though.

Initially i want to loose weight, then get fit and toned. I couldnt face a gym now, way too conscious for that and broke :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

My diet is a funny topic. I eat once a day, always have. if i eat regularly i put on more weight. i get killed for this when i mention it to anyone though.

What do you eat and what did you eat additional to that when you tried to eat more regularly?

• Advertisement

What do you eat and what did you eat additional to that when you tried to eat more regularly?

Id have dinner, regular meat and two veg. im not a fan of meat, i only really eat chicken, so i would probably eat more carbs to fill the void of meat. OR il have chicken and veg.

When i tried to do the eat regularly thing, it would be weetabix in the morning, yogurt or fruit at lunch, maby popcorn or peanuts, dinner with no carbs, just chicken and veg.

Ive been at this walking/jog now for over a month and a half. while im fitter and do about 9k in a day now (walking mostly, with the jog when i can)
    I havent lost not 1 lb. im not givin up but maby i need a personal trainer.

Advertisement