Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stomach fat when sitting down.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ShaggyQueen

Thanks for that, im at 400m before i have to stop :D. Im glad im not the only one who started this way.
    How long before you could jog the 6k?

Not sure exactly, didn't really follow a program, I'd say 2-3 months of running sporadically. Something eventually just clicked in my head and I realised I go the whole course after making big gains 2 runs in a row, I could keep going if I slowed down the pace and ignored the voice telling me to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Id have dinner, regular meat and two veg. im not a fan of meat, i only really eat chicken, so i would probably eat more carbs to fill the void of meat. OR il have chicken and veg.

When i tried to do the eat regularly thing, it would be weetabix in the morning, yogurt or fruit at lunch, maby popcorn or peanuts, dinner with no carbs, just chicken and veg.

Ive been at this walking/jog now for over a month and a half. while im fitter and do about 9k in a day now (walking mostly, with the jog when i can)
    I havent lost not 1 lb. im not givin up but maby i need a personal trainer.

If you're not losing weight then you're probably eating too much.

What you put up for when you tried to eat regularly hints at that.

How much of all that would you eat? Have you used something like MyFitnessPal to track what you eat? You'd be surprised if you logged it all.

Peanuts are about 200 cals for a small bag, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

If you're not losing weight then you're probably eating too much.

What you put up for when you tried to eat regularly hints at that.

How much of all that would you eat? Have you used something like MyFitnessPal to track what you eat? You'd be surprised if you logged it all.

Peanuts are about 200 cals for a small bag, for example.

But i cant eat any less or i would eat nothing:D. i only eat dinner now.
    I am using that app, my calories should be 1700 to loose weight but im not even coming close to that, im always massivly under it. Even if i have a take away for my dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I am using that app, my calories should be 1700 to loose weight but im not even coming close to that, im always massivly under it. Even if i have a take away for my dinner.

Then you either have a medical issue and should seek a doctor, or you are miscalculating your requirements and how much you are eating. If you'd like to post up your sex/height/weight we can calc your tdee for you.

It's not a case of "you're having 2 meals? Eat less - have 1".

It's portion size.

But if you're honestly saying that you're eating massively less than 1,700 then that might be the problem?

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

It will help you work out what your BMR, TDEE is etc.

If you're eating in or around your BMR, which is the amount of calories you need to exist, then your body is holding onto every calorie.

• Advertisement

Then you either have a medical issue and should seek a doctor, or you are miscalculating your requirements and how much you are eating. If you'd like to post up your sex/height/weight we can calc your tdee for you.

a medical issue, i dont have a problem with food, i can eat more, i just dont get hungry till i get home and stop for the day.
    Dont get me wrong, i can pick at things, and i know i would be eating more that what i should. But for the last month and a half i havent been eating any bad stuff. Just my dinner, tea and water. This is pretty much my daily diet anyway.

im 5'2 and female, im about 3 stone over weight i reckon.

It doesn't always come down to the quality of food. There are calories in everything.

But you need to know your BMR and your TDEE in order to be able to tackle it.

If you're massively going below your TDEE then that can be a problem.

But otherwise you're possibly eating bigger quantities than you're accounting for.

a medical issue, i dont have a problem with food, i can eat more, i just dont get hungry till i get home and stop for the day.
    Dont get me wrong, i can pick at things, and i know i would be eating more that what i should. But for the last month and a half i havent been eating any bad stuff. Just my dinner, tea and water. This is pretty much my daily diet anyway.

i'm 5'2 and female, im about 3 stone over weight i reckon.

Im not goign to get into medical advice as that is not allowed but if you are eating 1600 calories (for exampel) and your daily requirments are 1700 and you are not losing weight you

a) have a medical issue or some sort and should speak to a doctor or
    b) are miscalculating your requirements: i.e you do not actually need 1700 or you are eating more than 1700.

We can help you with B. Use the calc that Alf has linked to and be extremely strict with your calorie tracking, count everything - drinks included.

It doesn't always come down to the quality of food. There are calories in everything.

But you need to know your BMR and your TDEE in order to be able to tackle it.

If you're massively going below your TDEE then that can be a problem.

But otherwise you're possibly eating bigger quantities than you're accounting for.

Possibly my portion sizes are not very accurate you could be right, but i dont think one dinner would be over the 1700 cals per day could it.

thanks for the link, ive entered everything in, its giving me a projected weight loss and metobolic rate.
    (this is where it gets technical, im lost already lol)

Possibly my portion sizes are not very accurate you could be right, but i dont think one dinner would be over the 1700 cals per day could it.

thanks for the link, ive entered everything in, its giving me a projected weight loss and metobolic rate.
    (this is where it gets technical, im lost already lol)

What part is confusing you - just ask.

Your dinner may or may not be over 1700 calories, that's why you need to be accurate :)

• Advertisement

Im not goign to get into medical advice as that is not allowed but if you are eating 1600 calories (for exampel) and your daily requirments are 1700 and you are not losing weight you

b) are miscalculating your requirements: i.e you do not actually need 1700 or you are eating more than 1700.

We can help you with B. Use the calc that Alf has linked to and be extremely strict with your calorie tracking, count everything - drinks included.

i see your point, i reckon its b) id say i just eat the wrong foods.
    but its disheartening when i only eat the one meal a day and excerise on average 6k, 5 days a week and not even 1lb down.

i should have measured myself too and see if there a diffrence.

id appreciate any help with this, thank you very much :D

You'll need to start with a kitchen scales to weight your food. Just at the start so you can workout what calories are in a portion size and then adjust it accordingly. You'll be able to judge it by eye after that.

But use the link above to work out your BMR and your TDEE

but its disheartening when i only eat the one meal a day and excerise on average 6k, 5 days a week and not even 1lb down.

I would go with what alf has said, its all good advice.

Ive entered all my details in, but i think i might be in the wrong calculator

what i have is a custom meal planner and a i cant see anything with BMR or TDEE (i dont know what this means, im a total newbie at this fit lark :) )

Ive entered all my details in, but i think i might be in the wrong calculator

what i have is a custom meal planner and a i cant see anything with BMR or TDEE (i dont know what this means, im a total newbie at this fit lark :) )

What is your age/weight/height and sex and we will do it for you if you want.

BMR is the calories you need stay alive and TDEE is the calories you need to live + calories you'd spend in day to day activities.

What is your age/weight/height and sex and we will do it for you if you want.

BMR is the calories you need stay alive and TDEE is the calories you need to live + calories you'd spend in day to day activities.

ok im being silly sorry, i do see it now lol

my BMR is 1575
    my TDEE is 1890
    daily calories to loose 20% fat is 1512

so i need to stick to 1512 in order to loose weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Even if was it the case of A, and she still wasn't losing fat, then she would be losing weight in other places. The body can't conjure calories from nowhere, a person only eating 1600 calories when their BMR is 1700 has to lose weight, by definition.

What about snacks? How often would you have a nibble? What about drinks? Do you have coffee? Sugary drinks like coke, ice-tea, anything like that? Booze? Are you a wine drinker? Meals aren't the only thing that counts. Everything that passes your lips has calories.

Zillah wrote: »
    Even if was it the case of A, and she still wasn't losing fat, then she would be losing weight in other places. The body can't conjure calories from nowhere, a person only eating 1600 calories when their BMR is 1700 has to lose weight, by definition.

What about snacks? How often would you have a nibble? What about drinks? Do you have coffee? Sugary drinks like coke, ice-tea, anything like that? Booze? Are you a wine drinker? Meals aren't the only thing that counts. Everything that passes your lips has calories.

Oh i have snacked in the past for sure, thats how i got to here im sure.

on my fitnes pal, i was only taking 600 calories per day or around that, now thats with my own rough portion size, 1 breast of chicken, and loads of brocoli and peas (that kind of would be my estimates)

I drink tea about 5-7 cups a day, milk no sugar.
    Diet pepsi the odd day.
    my bad snack would be 2 cookies or a bar, or something along them lines. but thats not every day, maby twice a week if that.
    I dont drink during the week, and since ive started my fitness thing, ive been out on one night out (where i did drink like a my body weight in alcohol:D)

but thats it, now i cant say i havent messed up, but this is roughly my day to day diet

Do you account for all of those snacks or the milk in your tea or everything you driunk on a daily basis when you use MFP?

Zillah wrote: »

Right, but a thyroid issue would mean the calcs are incorrect. And yes, i am aware that this leads to B :)

• Advertisement

Do you account for all of those snacks or the milk in your tea or everything you driunk on a daily basis when you use MFP?

Yep i do, i was putting in everythin, i even had a pack of meanies 1 day and was surprised it was in there, its a cool app.
    the most i went up to one day was 1200 cals.

The only thing i was doing wrong was i was putting in tea with semi skimmed milk every time, but it might not be semi skimmed every time, it could be full fat.

i did stop using it last week, il start again today.

If...you're accounting for everything you eat and drink and if you're only getting 600 calories a day, it's likely you're not eating enough.

It's a balancing act. Eating as little as possible does not always mean you lose weight.

If...you're accounting for everything you eat and drink and if you're only getting 600 calories a day, it's likely you're not eating enough.

It's a balancing act. Eating as little as possible does not always mean you lose weight.

You do make a good point, maby its this starve mode that ive read about where your body turns everything into fat just cause it dosent know when it will get it again.

So if i try to eat regularly again, what should i be eating and when. im never hungry during the day and lazy to pre-empt meals, but if it will help, im willing to give it a try.
    i just dont want to put on more weight, although initally i probably will, how long will it take to re-programe my body? (dont know what other way to put it sorry)

You do make a good point, maby its this starve mode that ive read about where your body turns everything into fat just cause it dosent know when it will get it again.

So if i try to eat regularly again, what should i be eating and when. im never hungry during the day and lazy to pre-empt meals, but if it will help, im willing to give it a try.
    i just dont want to put on more weight, although initally i probably will, how long will it take to re-programe my body? (dont know what other way to put it sorry)

It's posssible that your body can go into starvation mode, your metabolism slows down and holds onto the energy stores so that your body can function.

In terms of what you should be eating, read some of the Nutrition stickies. Don't overthink it - just use the calculator that was linked to above. You need to eat more than your BMR but less than your TDEE. For breakfast, steer clear of the majority of cereals. They're empty calories. Some people like porridge, some like eggs, etc. But if you go with porridge, weight the oats. Measure the milk. You need to at the start so that you can judge the calories you're getting from them. It's easy to measure most things and plug them in. For calorie tracking, MFP works on honesty and accuracy.

Do that and you're on your way.

ok im being silly sorry, i do see it now lol

my BMR is 1575
    my TDEE is 1890
    daily calories to loose 20% fat is 1512

so i need to stick to 1512 in order to loose weight?

I think there's something amiss there.

if your BMR is 1575 and your TDEE is 1890, then you need to eat more than 1575 and less than 1890 to lose weight.

Starvation happens when you are starving. You would definitely know if this was happening as you would be at about 5 stone and have trouble moving.

Eating 600 calories a day is extremely unhealthy.

I think there's something amiss there.

if your BMR is 1575 and your TDEE is 1890, then you need to eat more than 1575 and less than 1890 to lose weight.

thats what i thought, but thats what it said on the calculator. I had it in to loose 20% fat in step 6

ok thanks for that, il stick to the 1575 and il be more accurate about what im eating. its got to be that im not logging everything properly everyday or something.

In your opinion, should i start to see results after a week or that?

Starvation happens when you are starving. You would definitely know if this was happening as you would be at about 5 stone and have trouble moving.

Eating 600 calories a day is extremely unhealthy.

Sorry i didnt mean i was starving myself, i just meant i seem to always be under the recomended calorie allowance.

Judging by what you are all saying here, its like im not accounting for everything during the day that i eat, which is possible i guess, i could definitly be getting the portion size wrong.

But there is a starve mode that ive read about where it will turn everything i eat into stored fat.

In your opinion, should i start to see results after a week or that?

If you're eating healthily and exercising, you will start to see results. In a week, I'm not sure buit it's possible.

But it's a bigger picture thing. You're looking to eat healthily and get some exercise, in a sustainable way. Do that and the weight will come off. How quickly I don't know. But it will.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your help here guys, i really appreciate it :)
    im taking all of your advise on board and going to attack this eating lark, hopefully jog more too.
    im going to log food and excerise every day. I want to loose this 3 stone aswel as get fit and be healthy.

Advertisement