Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Nah it wont work. Tried changing the settings on another tv where it did work and when i brought it back in to the other tv it still didn't work. 3 different hdmi cables and still no joy.
    Connected up a media player with the hdmi and it worked on that same tv.
    Baffled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Right lads finally got paid so time to order a box. What is the final decision ? The one sold on amazon reccomend by Daytob or the Pipo X8, only 32g left in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Right lads finally got paid so time to order a box. What is the final decision ? The one sold on amazon reccomend by Daytob or the Pipo X8, only 32g left in stock.

In have both, and they are both amazing machines.

It would be very difficult to choose between them, but for me, I think just for the smoothness of Kodi on windows and the ability to use it as a tablet (if you're near a power source), the pipo might have the edge.

In saying that, the android box quick boot up, and the amount of stuff preinstalled makes it attractive too.

There's also about twenty quid in the difference in them if memory serves me.

Verdict = very very close, but the pipo has it by about a whisker.

In have both, and they are both amazing machines.

It would be very difficult to choose between them, but for me, I think just for the smoothness of Kodi on windows and the ability to use it as a tablet (if you're near a power source), the pipo might have the edge.

In saying that, the android box quick boot up, and the amount of stuff preinstalled makes it attractive too.

There's also about twenty quid in the difference in them if memory serves me.

Verdict = very very close, but the pipo has it by about a whisker.

Thanks Banjo just the advice I'm looking for. Do you have the 32 or 64 GB Pipo ?

Thanks Banjo just the advice I'm looking for. Do you have the 32 or 64 GB Pipo ?

64GB dude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭kelledy

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=231579286640&globalID=EBAY-GB

Hey guys , just purchased this today , am pretty good with technology but I'm totally new too these boxes , is there anything immediate I need to be aware of when I set it up.
    There will be an Ethernet cable in place behind the box .
    Is it a case of plug and play ??
    What potential have these things got ?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

kelledy wrote: »
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=231579286640&globalID=EBAY-GB

Hey guys , just purchased this today , am pretty good with technology but I'm totally new too these boxes , is there anything immediate I need to be aware of when I set it up.
    There will be an Ethernet cable in place behind the box .
    Is it a case of plug and play ??
    What potential have these things got ?
    Thanks in advance

The box has an ethernet socket so you can hardwire it to a router.There's lots that these boxes can do but we can't talk about them here-Youtube has loads of videos and tutorials.
    This was posted by me before,handy step by step guides to configuring kodi.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96273495&postcount=51

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

@kelledy
    send me a pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'm looking for an upgrade from my MK808, which probably wont be too hard as I paid less than €30 for it. Its an ok device and has served me well, but I'd like something with a better network/wifi speed and a bit more RAM.

I've not tried KODI on Andriod yet, but did play around with a bit on Windows when it was XBMC.

The Dreambox was mentioned in another thread and the user seemed to think that it was fairly reliable for HD streams.

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

For people using kodi for the first time,look up some tutorials on keeping it running well and clearing any unwanted data,I've just done a box for a friend "that wasn't working properly",there was nearly 7GB of unwanted files and crap in Kodi alone.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    For people using kodi for the first time,look up some tutorials on keeping it running well and clearing any unwanted data,I've just done a box for a friend "that wasn't working properly",there was nearly 7GB of unwanted files and crap in Kodi alone.

How did that happen ? Just the cache filling up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I ended up ordering the m8 from Amazon for 35 pound as I never had one and was just testing the water before spending big, thing is running perfect watching arsenal and Newcastle now in perfect HD, not a bother on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

your down to 2 then :) I can only speaak for the pipo X8 and I think its a great box
    I installed KODI on both android and windows no problems in either
    been using it as main PC hooked up to 42 inch plasma since I got it and its running fine been plugged in and running for days with no problems
    will get another to put in living room

good luck with your choice

http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/2015/08/20/pipo-x8-win10-android-4-4-4-dual-boot-system-firmware-186834-150820/

There is also firmware updates for it
    I dont know if the others have firmware updates others will be able to advise you

enno99 wrote: »
    your down to 2 then :) I can only speaak for the pipo X8 and I think its a great box
    been using it as main PC hooked up to 42 inch plasma since I got it and its running fine been plugged in and running for days with no problems

http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/2015/08/20/pipo-x8-win10-android-4-4-4-dual-boot-system-firmware-186834-150820/

I dont know if the others have firmware updates others will be able to advise you

Yea I'm leaning towards the Pipo now. It'd be handy to run Office online on it and the missues can use it as her laptop crapped out.
    Raging I missed the 64GB but I sappose the 32 will do the job for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

Yea I'm leaning towards the Pipo now. It'd be handy to run Office online on it and the missues can use it as her laptop crapped out.
    Raging I missed the 64GB but I sappose the 32 will do the job for the time being.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/PIPO-X8-Windows8-1-Android4-4-Dual-Boot-Mini-PC-7--Tablet-Intel-Z3736F-Quad-Core-2G-64G-802-11b-g-n-LAN-BT4-0-HDMI-348043.html

Havent used this site dont know how good/reliable they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

mightyreds wrote: »
    I ended up ordering the m8 from Amazon for 35 pound as I never had one and was just testing the water before spending big, thing is running perfect watching arsenal and Newcastle now in perfect HD, not a bother on it.

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭batistuta9

How did that happen ? Just the cache filling up ?

when the addons in kodi update, a copy of it is moved to a folder named packages. they're not that big but can build up over time, especially on an android box where you mightn't have that much space anyway

folders to delete content from:
    /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/temp
    /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/packages

thumbnails are probably the biggest problem though. & the cache too as you say.
    from time to time, especially if you go through a lot of shows, search movies, etc. delete everything from
    /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/thumbnails
    then go to
    /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/database & delete the textures13.db file

that'll remove all the cached fanart etc. & pull it back down when you go into kodi again & view that show or whatever.

The reviews are terrible, I think you got lucky :)

I didn't even read them just bought it for the craic see what the fuss was should of looked, working great there for the Liverpool match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

enno99 wrote: »

Do the various addons run on kodi or are the OS specific ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

siochain wrote: »
    Do the various addons run on kodi or are the OS specific ?

On kodi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

mightyreds wrote: »

Now all you need is a new TV....wish i thought of this :)

11892032_1175782872436514_1385765392102087838_n.jpg?oh=8eedd2bfc014f7971001cd5d3105dcf6&oe=5674FE5A

If the M8 is flying dont bother upgrading, other boxes look and are amazing but the M8 is stable and simple with enough quality its the workhorse of the android world. If the M8 was a car it would be a 2011 passat....more than good enough to be seen in,in the real world...i may still be drunk from last night...just saying.

Guys, quick question.

Is it possible to cast youtube to the android box, as my tv only has the two hd ports, which are both used up.

I could probably just open youtube on the box, but the phone is handy, you know yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Guys, quick question.

Is it possible to cast youtube to the android box, as my tv only has the two hd ports, which are both used up.

I could probably just open youtube on the box, but the phone is handy, you know yourself.

Kodi on the box, youtube in Kodi, Yatse for controlling it with the phone ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

https://wetek.com

Anyone ever used one of the wetek play boxes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭BandMember

Anyone know how I can find out what version firmware is on an MXIII box and how I can update it? Better still, is there some place/shop around Dublin (or some kind soul on here) that I can get to update it for me? :D

And on that note, it has been a pleasure to have been part of this thread. ffs

daytob wrote: »
    And on that note, it has been a pleasure to have been part of this thread. ffs

What am I missing :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What am I missing :confused:
    Posts deleted maybe?

Posts deleted maybe?

I was thinking that alright.

there was a dubious request posted up here. had it been left here the thread would have been deleted.

there was a dubious request posted up here. had it been left here the thread would have been deleted.

A request isn't the worst I guess, a slap on the wrist for the poster would probably have been the outcome, as long as people aren't directly posting said stuff I'm sure it's ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I hold me hands up Gov, it was me!

Anyway inspired by my own request I persisted and used Google instead and found some reps which were not too bad, but of course links etc will be broken no doubt. Its a bit of hassle keeping on top of it all really.

I hold me hands up Gov, it was me!

Anyway inspired by my own request I persisted and used Google instead and found some reps which were not too bad, but of course links etc will be broken no doubt. Its a bit of hassle keeping on top of it all really.

PM me with the question ill see if I can help.

• Advertisement

what skin are people using on kodi?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    what skin are people using on kodi?

Aeon Nox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Shhh....

^^ You should delete that from your quote as well ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

eamonnq wrote: »
    Aeon Nox

You beast. :D

fully loaded me

• Advertisement

Pocoyo wrote: »
    You beast. :D

No, I am a king !! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Long time Aeon Nox user here especially the Nox Silvo mod with Houdinis clear menu bars, really impressive skin.

Just last few days I have been messing with the Mimic skin, a good simple skin and i like it alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Quick question, do many of these box's get customs charges added on when ordering from the likes of ali express? Have my eye on two of them in particular (M8S, Tronsmart MXIII S812 2G/8G) But just haven't decided on which one yet.

kevovek wrote: »
    Quick question, do many of these box's get customs charges added on when ordering from the likes of ali express? Have my eye on two of them in particular (M8S, Tronsmart MXIII S812 2G/8G) But just haven't decided on which one yet.

I bought mine locally (far handier) but I know people who bought theirs online and got hit with customs. There was a previous thread about these boxes and while most people were getting away without paying any customs or charges, there seemed to have been a turn around and a clampdown towards the end of the thread (a few months ago) where everyone was getting hit with them.

One person I know bought an MXIII online on a sale for around €50-60, got hit with customs (around €25) and a release fee from An Post (€7!). It ended up costing the same as if they bought it locally. Hasn't been a great purchase either to be honest, they've had problems with it. So, for the sake of any hassle, problems and no waiting time, I'd shop locally. If the seller is anyways reputable, they'll give you some sort of guarantee and if there's an issue it can be sorted a lot quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Can you stream what you have on your pc from these boxes? Particularly the mxq box?

fully loaded me

do you know what skin?
    eamonnq wrote: »
    Aeon Nox
    dahat wrote: »
    Long time Aeon Nox user here especially the Nox Silvo mod with Houdinis clear menu bars, really impressive skin.

Just last few days I have been messing with the Mimic skin, a good simple skin and i like it alot.

Aeon Nox seems quite popular alright. Does it let you add your own menu/submenu items?

i was using confluence & it's ok, put mimic on there but haven't gotten to tweak it much yet. i don't really like the views it's for the video addons though, i prefer the app drawer look the confluence had

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Can you stream what you have on your pc from these boxes? Particularly the mxq box?

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Anyone ever get this box?
    Pricey but read that its considered the best

MINIX NEO X8 Plus
    http://www.smarttvbox.ie/online-store/boxes/minix-neo-x8-plus-smart-tv-box.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Pangea wrote: »
    Anyone ever get this box?
    Pricey but read that its considered the best

MINIX NEO X8 Plus
    http://www.smarttvbox.ie/online-store/boxes/minix-neo-x8-plus-smart-tv-box.html

Yeah, I got one last January and its a good box, never caused me any trouble and it deals well with anything you throw at it, It was released last year and was top of the range at the time. I ordered mine from China and the exchange rate at the time was approx 1.25 to 1.00, $ to €, so i managed to get it, and an A2 airmouse for about €111.00, Customs added about €27, so I got it all in for €138.

Minix are pretty reputable, so support, firmware upgrades etc are pretty good.

Has anyone tried this on their android box? Is it worth trying or will it harm the box (like enabling zero cache would do)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1p2wH1Y77Y

• Advertisement
Advertisement