Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pokemon General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

But I'm right :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the remakes, Ruby was my first Pokemon game. I remember making Groudon faint because I thought he was a Fire type, and I used Sceptile's Leaf Blade on him. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Have never played Ruby/Sapphire but I have played emerald. Of all the games, its the one i dont think id ever play again. I got into the games with diamond as i didnt have the money for a gameboy until I started earning my own. I bought at least one game from each generation but Emerald was a tough slog to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I can't wait to revisit Hoenn. Sapphire was the last game I played several times over. I almost lost interest in the franchise with D/P but have loved B/W and X/Y.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Getting a little antsy for the new game, so I've started doing playthroughs of my old games. Trading my pokes from cart to cart is so time consuming though, especially the gen 4 games where you only choose from the 6 in your party.

Anyway, in the past 2 weeks or so I've done Black, White 2, Diamond, and now starting HeartGold again.

• Advertisement

I got Emerald this morning for €15. Only a few weeks ago the best I could find was €40 and I couldn't justify that. Hopefully HGSS follow suite now since they are always way over priced.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, I only had HG, never picked up SS cause of the price and how soon BW came out after.

Angron wrote: »
    Yeah, I only had HG, never picked up SS cause of the price and how soon BW came out after.

Why would you pay for HG and SS?

I tend to pick up most of the games. I own all 3 of DPP, BW 1 & BW2.

Angron wrote: »
    I tend to pick up most of the games. I own all 3 of DPP, BW 1 & BW2.

Not being funny, but why? As in, what's the value to you of having two copies of the same game? Genuinely curious/confused.

• Advertisement

Why not? It's a series I love, and when I had sod all people who played, I used my two DS's to trade stuff between them to fill up pokédexes. It's not that strange a concept, I know quite a few people now who've done the same.

I also used two DSs to trade between my games, and importing Pokemon from Gen IV games to Gen V (D/Pl/Prl/HG/SS to B/W/B2/W2) is a pain in the arse.

That crossbow game was fecking awful. Pal park for moving stuff from 3 to 4 was much better.

Bank is the easy winner this far.

As for games, I have red, blue, yellow, gold, silver, crystal, ruby, sapphire, emerald, leaf green, pearl, platinum, black 2, x and y. Still missing diamond, heart gold, soul silver, fire red, black, white and white 2.

Restarted Black 2 not long ago and the lack of a GTS is a pain. I now can't even see everything in the Pokedex by myself, I'll need a friend to help me with the white version exclusives.

At least you once had access to B2's GTS. It was too much of a pain in the arse switching my modem over to WEP encryption just to use online services for DS games.

Just discovered Rare Candy Treatment, one of my favourite pokémon webcomics, is done :(

Heh, I'd forgotten how absurd some of the phonecalls you get in HG can be.

"I thought I saw a wild Marill, but on closer inspection it was a Metapod!".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Those pesky metapod!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

You're just jealous because your Rattata isn't a top precentage Rattata.

I'm asking here because I'm guessing someone will have done it at some point.

I have a 2DS with a physical version of X and the downloaded version of Y. If I now get a 3DS, will I have to buy Y again, or will it let me copy it over? Also, is X saved on the cartridge or on the console?

Need to know this before I decide I want a 3DS :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

The game should be saved to the SD card so I think by putting the card from your 2ds into the 3ds It should just work.

I'm not 100% sure though.

You can go into data management in system settings and see what's saved to where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I don't think its as simple as putting your SD card in the new console. When I got my 3DS XL I had to do a system transfer from my original 3DS before I could play my download games on it. There are instructions on how to do it somewhere on Nintendos website, its pretty straight forward.

elekid wrote: »
    I don't think its as simple as putting your SD card in the new console. When I got my 3DS XL I had to do a system transfer from my original 3DS before I could play my download games on it. There are instructions on how to do it somewhere on Nintendos website, its pretty straight forward.

Thanks. Once it is doable, I'm happy. Didn't want to have to buy it again just because I got a new console.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Uggghhhhhhhhhhh found an online version of Pokemon Yellow. Great, says I! Last few evenings I've been working towards those all important Elite 4 and my character's best friend in the whole wide world and today, I got there. Yay! Happy days! Alas, however, these happy days were not to last. In my newly found glory, I go surfing off to find Mewtwo. No problems there, tis a fairly straight forward cave after all. I find Mewtwo and use Dugtrio to make its accuracy just about zero. My lvl72 Pikachu then Paralyzed it but as his weakest attack left Mewtwo's HP more that 3/4s of the way down, I changed to a lvl52 Moltres. All fine and dandy, I was very slowly lowering Mewtwo's HP further, to a more catchable level. I was very nearly there when BOOOM!! Random Critical Hit appears and knocks Mewtwo out. Being clever, I had saved before Mewtwo and thought "not to panic, I can just restart, be grand!"... until I realise the online version doesn't do restarts, the saves don't save. Not only did I knock out Mewtwo, my whole game was reset... :(

P.S never posted here before but since none of my friends like games very much, and those that do don't really play Pokemon, I sought out this thread just to find some people that understand the disappointment...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Random question that i can't find an answer for

What happens if you only have one pokemon, and your opponent has one pokemon, but you have no PP for any power moves and neither does your opponent ?

Well if you have no PP at all, then the only move that'll happen is struggle, which does damage to the enemy, and a little bit of recoil damage to the pokemon using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

What happens if you only have one pokemon, and your opponent has one pokemon, but you have no PP for any power moves and neither does your opponent ?

Both of you will use Struggle - a 50-power typeless (Normal in Gen 1) physical contact move that deals recoil damage to the user equal to 25% of their total HP (1/2 of the damage dealt before Gen 4).

In essence, if it's a Struggle on Struggle fight, you need to do more damage than the opponent with your attack, but you really need to be able to deal over 25% of their health within 3 attacks, else the faster 'mon will self-KO on the 4th attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Bought the TCG on the 3DS virtual console :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Anybody here ever done the PWT 10-win streak for World Leaders in Black 2?
    Is just a case of having a fully EV'd, type-varied squad with decent items and hoping a streak of luck, or am I missing something fundamental?

Edit: Nevermind, literally just beat it.

Advertisement