Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motivation weight loss clinic

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

hollypink wrote: »
    I just had a look through the thread out of curiosity; it doesn't sound like MWL is particularly sustainable long-term based on the above. Of course that's just a small sample size but still, if you're paying that much money, it's awful to think of people putting all the weight back on afterwards :(

It's the same with Weight Watchers and other weight loss programs. Even most of the participants on shows like The Biggest Loser pile it back on, and they have public pressure to try and keep the weight off.

I really think it comes down to personal responsibility. The problem with all of these things is that you're still leaving control in someone else's hands. Somebody else is checking up on you or telling you what to eat or how much to eat. You can see on the WW thread that there's people scared about weighing in because of what their leader might say/think, when it's themselves they should be losing the weight for.

There's also the fact that all of these programs have an end date in sight, whether that's reaching your goal weight or the number of sessions you can afford with somewhere like the Motivation Clinic. So, it automatically feels like something temporary, rather than a continual lifestyle change.

I've lost a little weight recently but it's been a side effect of eating healthier and taking up exercise rather than my ultimate goal, and while I'm delighted with the loss, I don't feel like I'm 'done'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

vitani wrote: »
    It's the same with Weight Watchers and other weight loss programs.

Yes, but WW and Slimming World and the rest aren't anywhere near as expensive as Motivation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

For anyone into their research have a laugh at this

http://www.motivation.ie/downloads/Stotland_Larocque_web_assessment_paper.pdf

The study is here and is pretty honest about the strength of the data and the results, and it seems a valid well constructed study

"It is premature to conclude that the Internet assessment can influence treatment
    continuation rates"

"These results are limited by the correlational nature of the study. Patients who
    chose to complete the Time 2 assessment may have been different than those who did not
    - i.e., a self-selection bias may explain the results. However, we were not able to detect
    any group differences at pretreatment, nor in the amount of weight lost by Time 2.
    Variables not included in the present study might be more successful in differentiating
    between groups. For example, lower continuation rates among those who choose not to
    repeat the web-assessment may reflect their lower outcome expectancies and self-efficacy
    in relation to weight control (10,11). Not doing the test at Time 2 may be an early
    indication that the individual is losing hope and/or interest in weight control. Repeated
    evaluation of subjects’ weight control-related cognitions in relation to treatment
    continuation vs. dropout is required to test this hypothesis."

- basically this is that people who did the questionare for 4 years keep the weight off, but if you look at the data the total drop-out rate is over 84% over the 4 years. So of the 16% who remain on the program only 84% keep the weight off which is actually only 13% of people who start.

However MWL decide that their take on it is:

"A clinical study of our weight maintenance programme results, presented at the International Congress of Obesity, showed an 86% success rate after 4 years, which is phenomenal when compared to conventional programmes. Statistics show that in general weight loss programmes show a maximum success rate of 5 - 6% weight maintenance after only 1 year."

This is simply false advertising and actually proves that it is no more effective than any other diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Mitzy24

It's understandable that people can be against MWLC, honestly it's not for everyone!! To be honest I needed a kick in the behind to get me going!!
    Yes I am doing the programme and am nearing the end of it. But I am not worried about gaining afterwards because I do 4/5 intense workouts per week and I love it. Yes MWLC is a quick fix, but I think if I didn't sign up I wouldn't have overhauled my life. I know that food is a big component but my focus is on exercise too. Yes it's a lot of money and yes that's motivation in itself but my added motivation is to run a half marathon for the heart foundation as I lost my parents to heart disease!! So my reason for doing this programme is to get healthy and hopefully live more than the 40 odd years of my parents!!
    MWLC is NOT for everyone but it really lies within the person if they are successful or not!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Mitzy24 wrote: »
    it really lies within the person if they are successful or not!!

In that case there is no need to spend a grand with Motivation.

• Advertisement

In that case there is no need to spend a grand with Motivation.

Ye but when I began I didn't think I could do it by myself, as I said I needed a push.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

I have lost 7 stone since the start of the year and I know I could not have done it myself. I am now finished going to motivation but the way my lifestyle has changed and the things I learned will be with me for the rest of my life

Why not donate 100 euro a week to charity until you reach your goals, find the methods for free online.

I have lost 7 stone since the start of the year and I know I could not have done it myself. I am now finished going to motivation but the way my lifestyle has changed and the things I learned will be with me for the rest of my life

Well done!! People just think it is just about getting weighed but it is a massive learning experience. I have lost 3stone and one pound. 11 pounds left to my goal.
    Starting weight: 13'5
    Current: 10'4
    And in a size 10:)

Why not donate 100 euro a week to charity until you reach your goals, find the methods for free online.

Well why not run the road instead of going to the gym??!
    Again some things work for some people and not for others!!

• Advertisement

Well why not run the road instead of going to the gym??!

Good question, why would you. To get out of the rain I suppose. Why would you pay unqualified people large sums for freely available information and gimmicky products, and a pretty poor diet plan, when there are so many good exercise and nutrition coaches out there....cause you couldn't be bothered I suppose.

Good question, why would you. To get out of the rain I suppose. Why would you pay unqualified people large sums for freely available information and gimmicky products, and a pretty poor diet plan, when there are so many good exercise and nutrition coaches out there....cause you couldn't be bothered I suppose.

Do me a favour and read over my previous posts about exercise regime that I do!! Or don't its up to u but I won't be commenting on this post again

Do me a favour and read over my previous posts about exercise regime that I do!! Or don't its up to u but I won't be commenting on this post again

You have already paid your money and are still defending your choices, my advice is for those researching mwl trying to decide if it's the best thing. The fact that you went out on your own and augmented the program with exercise yourself shows that you could have done it all yourself. Do me a favour and reread my posts on this thread to see where I am coming from, it's a place about 2 years from where you are now.

You have already paid your money and are still defending your choices, my advice is for those researching mwl trying to decide if it's the best thing. The fact that you went out on your own and augmented the program with exercise yourself shows that you could have done it all yourself. Do me a favour and reread my posts on this thread to see where I am coming from, it's a place about 2 years from where you are now.

Fair enough I see ur point!!
    Your comments are well and truly unboard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

Yeah well in fairness i can see fitzgeme's point, for me its a sort of "if i knew then" scenario

Im not going to diss MWL....live ive already said its got me to where i am today(today being clapping push-ups)

But if i was to give advice to my former self...it would be get a trainer and get lifting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bairbre12

I did the MWL program a few years ago and lost about 2 stone on it. The principles of this as a diet work, however it is difficult to maintain as the strictness of the diet reduces the variety of what you can eat. I got frustrated with constant changing of consultant so I was getting slightly inconsistent advice and guidance and apart from one guy (who has lost a lot of weight with them himself) I found their consultants pretty average and not terribly professional.

At times they were condescending and not terribly helpful. The times when I would go to the 'clinic' they were pretty busy and I always felt rushed when dealing with them so never got too much out of the conversations.

The CD of the doctor are painful to listen to and I certainly never listened more than once although they kept saying to me that constant listening to the CD was the key in order to ensure you were completely brainwashed no doubt.
    The price of the supplements is a bit harsh but I would say that their protein drinks is one of the more pleasant tasting that I have tried.Writing food down is a good thing though and they give you a food diary for that. It just raises your consciousness of what is passing your lips which can only be a good thing.

At the point where I had lost 2 stone they wanted more money from me to share their weight loss maintenance secrets but I gave up....Kept most of the weight off myself but have a bit more to go....The thing that made me stick to the 20 weeks was the amount I paid. It definitely wasn't the expertise or the service.

Hope my comments are useful for anyone considering Motivation Weight Loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Lorna123

Did the Motivation programme myself a few years ago and lost 2 stone but I only lost it because I told everyone how much it was costing me and they all said I was mad. I was determined to prove that I wasn't mad and it worked. However, I never followed the programme even though I bought the books, the cds, the protein bars. In fact I downed the 14 protein bars all in the first 2 days :D and the rest of the week went on the Atkins diet just so that I would have a loss for the next weigh in. I put all the weight back on again.

I would never join MC again as I believe that if you really want to lose weight you will do it far cheaper than the motivation clinic and for some people the fact that they paid out all this money makes them think that they are on to something good and so they apply themselves, but they are the ones doing the work and not the leaders who only tell you what you already know about how to lose weight. If paying out 1,500 is what some people have to do to prove they can lose weight then so be it, but there are cheaper ways and you can do it for free if you apply yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Going for my initial consult today with Motivation. Have read this thread in full and see both points but for now have decided this is the route I wish to take as I've seen a couple of friends and quite a few acquaintences have long term success from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dove2011

Tbh don't waste your money on this- unless u have your 2 protein bars a day you will starve, the protein bars cost €30 per week; that is €120 a month extra to the €700 you pay initially. I have given up on motivation and I am the same weight I was when I started. Join a gym with the money. I

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JJ10

I dunno guys I know two people who have used the Motivation clinics and they can't speak highly enough of them. I think some people need to understand any weight loss attempts are going to have to be backed up by a real desire to succeed and learn from the people who are helping you so you don't fall of the wagon..

• Advertisement

I know I'm only on day 10 but I'm finding it a positive experience so far, and it didn't cost me €700 initially. No starvation, no cravings. Each to their own guys.....

Update...well I finished my programme a good few weeks ago and am very pleased with the new and improved me.
    I have lost over 4 stone and am a healthy 9 2 now. I have been eating more and the scales hasn't budged, been doing gym sessions to reduce my fat % and it's going great.
    Each to their own....best thing I have ever done

Well done Mitzy24! It gives one great incentive to read this, mind you I feel I don't need much incentive to be honest as I'm so happy with it, I'm only sorry I didn't do it years ago!

Motivation weight loss is the equivalent of leaving cert grind schools. You have someone standing over you making sure you don't deviate or slack off and the results are there at the end.

Then people go to college and most realise they've never learnt to self motivate and thus flounder when it's down to them to keep the pace. Ditto for MWL, they (over)charge you for information and support that is cheaper elsewhere and then leave people to their own devices.

I've been on these boards 5 years now. I've never seen anyone come on here to say they did MWL 3 years ago and kept the weight off. And there's loads of different long-term maintainers on here, all doing different eating plan. Common denominator is that we learned to change our lifestyles on our own.

To any person desperately considering MWL (and you'd want to be desperate to spend 700 euro +, that or hilariously wealthy), please don't waste your money on another quick fix. If you can lose it with MWL, you can DEFINITELY lose it on your own and save 700 euro for a brand new wardrobe.:)

Please do not ridicule people who are minding their own business and spending their own money in the way they wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Caros wrote: »
    Please do not ridicule people who are minding their own business and spending their own money in the way they wish.

El Dangeroso hasn't ridiculed any posters here. If you read the post properly, he has ridiculed the manner in which Motivation charge extortionate amounts of money for information that can be found for free online.

Caros wrote: »

I'm not ridiculing anyone. This is a discussion board, people will read this thread and read good opinions and bad. I just gave my opinion based upon my knowledge and experience.

I have no notion of getting into any argument here with people regarding something they have not experienced so I bid ye adieu!
    Signed The Hilariously Wealthy Caros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

You won't be wealthy for much longer when you are coerced into buying protein bars. :P

• Advertisement

Loosing weight is difficult, and no matter how you do it congratulations are in order, but congratulations to the person not the system. MWL however tells you that you use food as a crutch, they "tackle" why you eat too much, but swapping the crutch of food for the crutch of MWL babble and products. According to their own research (I posted a few pages back) only 15% of people keep the weight off for 3 years.

Advertisement