Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motivation weight loss clinic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chickenman19

As I said before, I don't need a personal trainer. I've played and competed in sport all my life (at national and international level in fact).

I never worried about food because with the exercise I did, I burned off any excess calories.

Now in my 30's I want a more sustainable solution, where I can eat well and exercise well.

I could spend €30 an hour for 20 weeks with a personal trainer, but my issue is with food, not exercise. If 600 gives me life-long good eating habits, I think it's money well spent.

If people here don't agree - that's fine.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

If you read my previous post, you'd know I'm not arguing that point. I'm not paying for the information. I'm paying for the structure and support given by the weekly meetings. I'm simply trying to replace bad eating habits with good eating habits. I could have gone to WW, but I like the privacy of MWL.

You see, this is REALLY annoying. As I said in my previous post, the meal plans ARE healthy. You also mention "yet another failed attempt", which is very insulting. You know nothing about me or the other people who are in Motivation.

I run 2-3 times a week so I don't need a personal trainer. I want to eat healthily as much for my general healthy rather than losing weight. I'm developing good habits with MWL, so for me at least it's working well.

I'm not some naive simpleton who's been conned by MWL and I really resent the constant bashing of the system by people like yourself.

First of all my post was not directed towards you at all so I don't know why you are taking it personally.

But since you addressed me: I know the meal plan is healthy, as I said I have the literature. It's basically re-packaged South Beach with a bit of Protein Power chucked in. Those books can be bought in charity shops for around a euro each, tell me what you are paying the other 598 for? For someone to weigh you each week and spout some pop psychology in the process?

Do you think a personal trainer can't tell you about nutrition and motivate you? Because I will tell you now the good ones actually have real credentials in doing just that, unlike the random punters that work in Motivation. It's also a little bit presumptuous of you to think just because you run 2-3 times a week you would gain nothing from personal training. Good compound lifting will transform you far more than running, trust me on that.

But as I said in the previous post, if people want to waste their money, that is their choice.

I wish you the very best of luck and come back and rub my nose in it in three years time.:P

First of all my post was not directed towards you at all so I don't know why you are taking it personally.

But since you addressed me: I know the meal plan is healthy, as I said I have the literature. It's basically re-packaged South Beach with a bit of Protein Power chucked in. Those books can be bought in charity shops for around a euro each, tell me what you are paying the other 598 for? For someone to weigh you each week and spout some pop psychology in the process?

Do you think a personal trainer can't tell you about nutrition and motivate you? Because I will tell you now the good ones actually have real credentials in doing just that, unlike the random punters that work in Motivation. It's also a little bit presumptuous of you to think just because you run 2-3 times a week you would gain nothing from personal training. Good compound lifting will transform you far more than running, trust me on that.

But as I said in the previous post, if people want to waste their money, that is their choice.

I wish you the very best of luck and come back and rub my nose in it in three years time.:P

As I said in a previous post:

I've played and competed in sport all my life (at national and international level in fact). I've been lifting weights for the last 17 years so exercise is not the issue for me.

I'm glad you can manage your diet effectively without the support of MWL or WW, but some of us decide we want that extra support.

I teach in third level. I don't rebuke students who need/pay for extra support. I do all the work on my own car. I don't rebuke other who decide to pay a mechanic.

If you're not interested in MWL, I don't understand why you continue to post in this thread, undermining the efforts of us who do.

I'm not undermining anyone's efforts, neither am I saying people don't benefit from in-person support, of course they do.

I'm just saying that Motivation is a rip-off, they are overcharging for information and support available elsewhere for much cheaper.

I don't know why if you are comfortable with your decision you are bothering to get so defensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

I know ive posted extensively on MWL here before but perhaps its worth repeat a summary

I did 2 terms of motivation, bought all their bars\shakes blah blah blah...loved my weekly meeting...my consultant was kinda hot ;)

Naturally enough weight came off, They suggested some exercise, i joined a gym and started some machine weights and a little running, progressing to spin class and some more machines and eventually to the dreaded(at the time) free weight room.

All the time in the gym surrounded by people in shape helped me outgrow MWL, it had served its purpose and i was ready to move on and independantly continue. It should be noted that when i did leave the gave me the old "you may not make it without us" line.....but i left and im still doing well and heading(not too far off single digit body fat)

Yes it is expensive, yes the bars are just a gimmick, but MWL started me on the road to a place where i never thought i could get to. When i started i could jog for 6 mins and my first ever bench 1rm test i failed at 40kg, i had a 50 inch waist and my shirts were like small tents. Now i can bench 120kg and im doing oly ring dips and pull ups, my newest jeans are a 32 inch waist and my polo shirt size has gone from 5xl to a medium.

If you can afford it....do it..and use it to get you started...but dont rely on it...become independant after a term or 2 and move on from there!

• Advertisement

xgtdec wrote: »
    Yes it is expensive,

This is pretty much my fundamental point, WHY is it so expensive? What are they offering that is so special that cannot be gotten for MUCH cheaper elsewhere?

As far as I can see there's nothing to justify the extortionate price-tag, other than the feeling that 'Oh crap, I've just spent a grand, better get something out of it' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Mitzy24

My time with motivation had changed completely. 1. Food habits have changed, I am never hungry as I eat s regular intervals 2. I exercise a lot more, even though I exercised before my weight loss has gave me confidence to push and train harder 3. I am healthier. Having suffered with high blood pressure since teens I believed that I, like both parents, would end up in an early grave. My blood pressure is now normal 4. I am confident 5. I am happy
    This is a life change and is NOT a quick fix!!

Mitzy24 wrote: »
    My time with motivation had changed completely. 1. Food habits have changed, I am never hungry as I eat s regular intervals 2. I exercise a lot more, even though I exercised before my weight loss has gave me confidence to push and train harder 3. I am healthier. Having suffered with high blood pressure since teens I believed that I, like both parents, would end up in an early grave. My blood pressure is now normal 4. I am confident 5. I am happy
    This is a life change and is NOT a quick fix!!

Every single one of your posts on boards is promoting Motivation, and a lot of them sound like a sales pitch. My shill alert is tingling.

Every single one of your posts on boards is promoting Motivation, and a lot of them sound like a sales pitch. My shill alert is tingling.

Eh no I don't work for them and if you want I can pm u my employment status. Don't make assumptions about me when u do not know me.
    I have very good reasons to be on this programme as I stated before that I DO NOT want to die before I am 50 like both my parents and leave orphans behind!!
    Again, DO NOT assume U know me

This is pretty much my fundamental point, WHY is it so expensive? What are they offering that is so special that cannot be gotten for MUCH cheaper elsewhere?

As far as I can see there's nothing to justify the extortionate price-tag, other than the feeling that 'Oh crap, I've just spent a grand, better get something out of it' :)

Yeah i prolly couldnt disagree with that, At the time i would try anything and in reality its possible that MWL takes distinct advantage of that sort of desperation.

• Advertisement

xgtdec wrote: »
    Yeah i prolly couldnt disagree with that, At the time i would try anything and in reality its possible that MWL takes distinct advantage of that sort of desperation.

Bingo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

It worked for me and the money wasn't an issue I fully understand that I am very lucky that I could afford it. If somebody said to me that they could guarantee that they could get me to shed 7 stone but it would cost €1000 euro per stone I would have paid it no probs so as far as I am concerned the €1500 that it cost me with MWLC was a steal. If you can afford it and you really want to change your life and lifestyle go for it.
    P.S is my post count enough not be accused of being a MWLC shill/plant

It worked for me and the money wasn't an issue I fully understand that I am very lucky that i could afford. If somebody said to me that they could guarantee that they could get me to shed 7 stone but it would cost €1000 euro per stone I would have paid it no probs so as far as I am concerned the €1500 that it cost me with MWLC was a steal. If you can afford it and you really want to change your life and lifestyle go for it.
    P.S is my post count enough not be accused of being a MWLC plant

People will always have something negative to say when it comes to this! I would have paid a lot more than I did and was fortunate to be able to do the same as u

It worked for me and the money wasn't an issue I fully understand that I am very lucky that I could afford it. If somebody said to me that they could guarantee that they could get me to shed 7 stone but it would cost €1000 euro per stone I would have paid it no probs so as far as I am concerned the €1500 that it cost me with MWLC was a steal. If you can afford it and you really want to change your life and lifestyle go for it.
    P.S is my post count enough not be accused of being a MWLC shill/plant

I'm completely sure that if you had a plan that would guarantee a stone loss for 1,000 euro you'd be a millionaire in short order!

But MVW doesn't guarantee this, there is no money-back guarantee at all. They have the same regain rate as other plans, ie >90% of people gain all their weight back, was it good value for them?

I think you are selling yourself short, YOU lost that weight, every. single. pound. YOU did that. Motivation provided a weekly goal to focus on and a little education, there really is nothing else special about it. This can be gotten elsewhere for a fraction of the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I suppose the MWL clinics come under fire cause they don't match the consensus on this forum. The health and fitness forum is about health and fitness, not thinness. An certainly while loosing a lot of weight is beneficial for your health, the MWL method is somewhat faddy, doesn't involve real food, doesn't involve training in any emphatic way and is charging you money for information that is available free. Can you pay somebody that known a hell of a lot more, make you take personal responsibility and help you become strong, slim and healthy---yes for a lot less money.

Is it an easy option for people that like easy options - yes
    Does it promote healthy lifestyle and long term change - not really
    Does the end justify the means? Maybe.
    When somebody if ready to make a change will anything work - yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

I suppose the MWL clinics come under fire cause they don't match the consensus on this forum. The health and fitness forum is about health and fitness, not thinness. An certainly while loosing a lot of weight is beneficial for your health, the MWL method is somewhat faddy, doesn't involve real food, doesn't involve training in any emphatic way and is charging you money for information that is available free. Can you pay somebody that known a hell of a lot more, make you take personal responsibility and help you become strong, slim and healthy---yes for a lot less money.

Is it an easy option for people that like easy options - yes
    Does it promote healthy lifestyle and long term change - not really
    Does the end justify the means? Maybe.
    When somebody if ready to make a change will anything work - yes.

The two best value things i have ever done in my life are 1 Motivation Weight loss
    2 Get my dental work done in Hungary I know that your idea of value when it comes to dentistry is very different to your opinion here

^^ In fairness they do promote long term change and besides the disgusting protein bar concoctions, it's mostly real food.

Weirdly enough, you would have never got me to a personal trainer at the time, the MWL consultant was not fat...but nor was she in "shape" as i would call it now so it was far less intimidating to go to MWL.

Thats 3 years ago.....but even now when i think back.....if i had to do it over again...i'd still go to MWL......It was what i needed at the time i suppose!

The two best value things i have ever done in my life are 1 Motivation Weight loss
    2 Get my dental work done in Hungary I know that your idea of value when it comes to dentistry is very different to your opinion here

Quality is always worth paying for, and I have paid for quality personal training from a person experienced, trained, qualified, motivated and skilled to deliver the value I expect (my sig explains the difference between price and value). Unfortunatly a lot of people dont know what quality is.

Report back on both your triumphs in 5-10 years that's when quality comes through. Short term is the easy bit. A relapse in either area will bring me no joy, but the experience and statistics suggest strongly that you may have problems. Either can work out long term.

Watch out for the bleeding gums....thats the first sign. ;)

Quality is always worth paying for, and I have paid for quality personal training from a person experienced, trained, qualified, motivated and skilled to deliver the value I expect (my sig explains the difference between price and value). Unfortunatly a lot of people dont know what quality is.

Report back on both your triumphs in 5-10 years that's when quality comes through. Short term is the easy bit. A relapse in either area will bring me no joy, but the experience and statistics suggest strongly that you may have problems. Either can work out long term.

Watch out for the bleeding gums....thats the first sign. ;)

Please share your statistics on MWL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 time2change222

I'm on week 5 now- tough start due to personal family stress issues- but i have to say i now know alot more about triggers and how my bad habits flare up more so than before - scales are slow but my measurements are all down, and my adviser wants me to focus more on that than the scales
    Im happy and Im alot calmer in myself - yes im still having the little slip!yes im not 100% ticking all the boxs with the foods -but i am making changes - comfortable realistic ones
    my adviser gets me to focus on the positives - and to keep looking at what i AM doing as to what im NOT- for eg- my exercise inst wonderful im lucky to get out twice a week- but that's more than ive ever done before and my water is 2L plus - more than ever before, my portions are smaller, i eat regular- yes this may all b common sense for some people but for me this is all NEW common sense- and having my adviser there to encourage me and guide me is a relief!

90% of people who loose weight on a diet regain the weight they lost + a third more in 3 years. MWL system is similar because it concentrates on body mass rather than body composition. Many people on this thread give personal of second hand testament to this, and those who succeed seem to have made changes in other areas to alter their metabolism.

When I started my weight loss journey, I went to a very expensive place. I lost 20kg in a short period of time and dropped huge BF %. However I can recognise that the system was not sustainable, was based on supplements and unrealistic expectations and goals. I spent a lot of money and in a way I am happy with the results, however I would now recognise that I could easily have gotten this information free here on boards, and I would be further along with my training and goals if I had.

I dont feel the need to defend my stupid choices just because they worked for me. I was scarfing down protien bar and powder to beat the band. I was tired on such low carbs, grumpy and obsessed. I wanted to loose weight and wanted to throw money at it and have somebody map my life, training, diet day to day. In a way I paid to take no responsibility.

Now I am on my own and learning to balance my weight, energy levels, social life and strength. I recognise that people want help and find gym intimidating but my advice is that a good personal trainer teaches you to exercise and eat properly. Good ones don't care about your mass, but concentrate on how you feel and how you look. If I had to do it over again I would have posted on here looking for a recommendation of a good personal trainer close to my work and gone on from there. I remember in shape people in the gym coming up to me telling me I had lost weight and now I do the same when some new chap is working his bollox off.

I'm on week 5 now- tough start due to personal family stress issues- but i have to say i now know alot more about triggers and how my bad habits flare up more so than before - scales are slow but my measurements are all down, and my adviser wants me to focus more on that than the scales
    Im happy and Im alot calmer in myself - yes im still having the little slip!yes im not 100% ticking all the boxs with the foods -but i am making changes - comfortable realistic ones
    my adviser gets me to focus on the positives - and to keep looking at what i AM doing as to what im NOT- for eg- my exercise inst wonderful im lucky to get out twice a week- but that's more than ive ever done before and my water is 2L plus - more than ever before, my portions are smaller, i eat regular- yes this may all b common sense for some people but for me this is all NEW common sense- and having my adviser there to encourage me and guide me is a relief!

What if I told you you can get ALL of the above and NOT pay hundreds of euro for it?

Fitzgeme, I just realised both of our signatures are very relevant here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

My brother did it and lost 4 stone but as soon as he got off it , piled it all back on

Not sustainable for longterm , plus anything that advocates protein bars isnt healthy , why not tell u to eat chicken or eggs.

why not tell u to eat chicken or eggs.

Cause they dont sell chicken or eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

Cause the dont sell chicken or eggs.

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

ck83 wrote: »
    LOL

It's the truth, it's not about weight loss, it's about money. They're a company, they want massive profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

My brother did it and lost 4 stone but as soon as he got off it , piled it all back on
    dove2011 wrote: »
    I'll be honest- this diet does work while your are on it; I did it lost a stone weight but once I gave up the protein bars and started eating normal I put on a stone and half in matter of 6 months- so weight watcher and exercising is the way to go.
    Jason Todd wrote: »
    I put back on all the weight within two years

Now, obviously the onus is on me to keep the weight off once it's finished, but 3 people I know who saw the success I had with it joined up and they too lost the weight and put it back on, so maybe there is something to be said about it long term.

I just had a look through the thread out of curiosity; it doesn't sound like MWL is particularly sustainable long-term based on the above. Of course that's just a small sample size but still, if you're paying that much money, it's awful to think of people putting all the weight back on afterwards :(

• Advertisement

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    It's the truth, it's not about weight loss, it's about money. They're a company, they want massive profit.

I don't have an issue with anyone making money, as long as it's upfront and everyone knows what they are getting for their money.

What I do take issue with is MVW acting like they have some big secret trick to losing weight and keeping it off which is worth the small fortune they charge when they patently don't.

Advertisement