Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Any recommendations for apps that would be good for preventing others to run in the background? My battery seems to be draining faster than I'd like.

Don't go down this route, task killers go against the way Android works and usually cost you battery, what you kill usually just starts again costing CPU cycles not saving them.

Root, install the Xposed kernel and then use Boot manager, Greenify and Amplify modules to control apps launching at startup, limit wake locks and control app hibernation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any recommendations for apps that would be good for preventing others to run in the background? My battery seems to be draining faster than I'd like.

Or just download gsam battery monitor and see which apps are using most power. Chances are there's a rogue app hogging the power.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

I have been playing Hitman Sniper for the last while. Good fun and challenging.

Humph -- there's no backup option on the Cynaogen Recovery I have on the OnePlus One running CM12.1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Or just download gsam battery monitor and see which apps are using most power. Chances are there's a rogue app hogging the power.

Yep. Had to uninstall the Journal and RTE news apps a while back because they were killing my battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Patww79 wrote: »

Still a battery killer. Absolute clusterfcuk of an app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭jeffk

Not as bad as it use to be, the top stories is more the issue with the new app

A lot of phones now have phone management software preloaded, Huawei have a great one, controls cpu etc, kills apps when screen off, tells you if there's apps using alot of battery

I've shut down quite a lot of what Facebook can get access to, through Privacy Guard (one of my favourite things about owning a OnePlus One so far), so it's actually not using up much, 0.1% according to GSam. The highest is Android System at 16%.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Can't remember if it was mentioned here but I've gotten addicted to "Doombad" It's sort of Tower Defense but you're the bad guy and its kinda of side scrolling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,417 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I know GPS apps were mentioned recently, specifically ones with dedicated offline mode. What I am looking for is one that will allow me to save a map (say a city) offline, but will also allow me to use it for turn-by-turn directions, both for car and for walking.

As far as I can tell the common offline maps only offer directions for cars - any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

dulpit wrote: »
    I know GPS apps were mentioned recently, specifically ones with dedicated offline mode. What I am looking for is one that will allow me to save a map (say a city) offline, but will also allow me to use it for turn-by-turn directions, both for car and for walking.

As far as I can tell the common offline maps only offer directions for cars - any suggestions?

Hi the one you are looking for is called SYGIC it lets you download a country and you can use it's map even on offline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,417 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Update - downloaded HERE Maps, and it has offline maps with directions for pedestrians built in. Also is quite a nice looking app, so that's a winner for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

found maps.me really good when i was away for offline and routing
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapswithme.maps.pro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

SwiftKey (as already mentioned probably a ton of times) is great

Click on "Themes" inside the app, click the present or gift icon and enter these codes for free themes.

You don't have to download the themes straight away, you can just input the codes and save them for later.

Code: DIWALI15 [Diwali Candlelight]
    Code: NAVYFREE [Minimal Navy]
    Code: BONUS123 [Bonus]
    Code: VIPTHEME [Vip Theme]
    Code: THANKYOU [Thank You]
    Code: ONEPLUSG [Champaign Gold]
    Code: ONEPLUSR [Red Cubed]
    Code: ONEPLUSO [Material Orange]
    Code: ONEPLUSB [Minimal Black]
    Code: NINJAPRO [Ninja Pro]
    Code: NINJATRY [Ninja Try]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Google Keep is truly one of those apps that you wonder how you ever lived without it.

It has saved my ass so many times with work, be it with lires fuel/miles covered, to location reminders and simple lists. To completing quotations,'calling customers back, and invoicing etc.

Simple apps are always the best ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Google Keep is truly one of those apps that you wonder how you ever lived without it.

It has saved my ass so many times with work, be it with lires fuel/miles covered, to location reminders and simple lists. To completing quotations,'calling customers back, and invoicing etc.

I use it for funny things the kids say or do, just note it down when I remember them, and then looking back on them every now and then!!

• Advertisement

Any opinions on the Baldur's Gate 1/2 Android ports? Tempted to buy #2!

If you're looking for a password manager, enpass went free for 24 hours from yesterday. Looks like it's free until midnight tonight. There are free windows/mac clients too (which will make data entry/setup easy)

Install the app from the play store, run it and you'll be prompted to upgrade to the full version for free (usually €9.99).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.enpass.app

http://www.androidcentral.com/popular-password-manager-app-enpass-goes-free-24-hours-myappfree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Can't find "empass" in the play store??
    Edit - got it, enpass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

toby2111 wrote: »
    Can't find "empass" in the play store??

It's called enpass.
    The link to the app is in the post above yours too.

Looks good but I tried the apk and it installed but doesn't have any of the features. I expect it's yet another US only Google update.

Working here for me. Sign out, kill the app and then sign back in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Guys recommend me a browser. I really like chrome but its eating my battery at the minute.

It's double the battery usage of even the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭smilerf

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Guys recommend me a browser. I really like chrome but its eating my battery at the minute.

boat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Use Opera myself. Love it.

emmetkenny wrote: »

Dolphin is like a real browser, has addons and even adblock

Opera here. I installed it for the data savings while abroad and just kept using it when I got back. Works great. :)

Thanks guys. I'm on 5.1.1.

I'll give some of the others a whirl.

Pocket Mortys has been released. It's a pokemon clone set in the Rick&Morty universe. It currently doesn't work with some Intel chips including mine.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.turner.pocketmorties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭steve_r

Pocket Mortys has been released. It's a pokemon clone set in the Rick&Morty universe. It currently doesn't work with some Intel chips including mine.

Any reviews out? Love Rick n Morty but wary of games where the name can be lumped in to attract attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Room III is out!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.FireproofStudios.TheRoom3

Excellent rec thanks, I never heard of it, used to do the same with Evernote but of course they had to go and feck it up, constant stupid features being added that just get in the way, new tutorials and stupid announcements every time you open it, impossible to find stuff you noted down where before you could always have important stuff floating at the top.

One of the things I use it for is writing down my dreams the minute my alarm goes off in the morning, Ill have forgotten them by the time I washed my teeth otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I can't seem to get private area working for notes on Google Keep. I have a HTC One. anyone able to, if so can you give me a step-by-step guide please? I've tried the steps in their help section but doesn't work for me.

• Advertisement

What's the benefit to having a password manager?

Also does anyone find it quite hard to look for good games on the Play store, unless you specifically know what you're looking for?

What's the benefit to having a password manager?

Can generate passwords, autofill and store the passwords for you.

I've used LastPass for the last 18 months and its super.

Also does anyone find it quite hard to look for good games on the Play store, unless you specifically know what you're looking for?
    Play Store is a complete and utter sewer, knowing exactly what you want is the only way to use it, it used to be okay because you were able to sort by daily/weekly/all time downloads which would instantly filter out the trash but Google decided to wreck that for some reason, just like Youtube which is now almost impossible to browse for new content by yourself with using Reddit or others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Amazon store used to be a bit of a hog, but was good for promotions. Excellent in fact.
    I only used it on a tablet as a result of that. Has it improved at all, or has it become bearable as phones got better?

Its unbearable for me because its such a pain in the ass to restore all your apps after reflashing the phone which I do a lot, could be half an hours work compared to 30 seconds of clicking install-install-install... in my apps in Google Play. Plus I have Three credit building up faster than I can spend it so Id rather just pay for it on Play with that and have them all in the one place, Id rather the developer got the money than Three anyway.

Thargor wrote: »
    Its unbearable for me because its such a pain in the ass to restore all your apps after reflashing the phone which I do a lot, could be half an hours work compared to 30 seconds of clicking install-install-install... in my apps in Google Play. Plus I have Three credit building up faster than I can spend it so Id rather just pay for it on Play with that and have them all in the one place, Id rather the developer got the money than Three anyway.

Titanium Backup

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup&hl=en

• Advertisement

Nah frsh installs only for me, dont trust that.

Thargor wrote: »
    Nah frsh installs only for me, dont trust that.

You must like working so.

I use it all the time as im usually messing with roms and it restores nearly all my apps a settings without issues.

I don't backup some apps from past issues or still having to change settings, but only a small few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Fairly addicted to Andors Trail.

Like a mini Skyrim!

Whats the best app for visualizing whats taking up memory on the phone please? A bit like Treesize in Windows or spacesniffer. Id like one that would let me delete the directories I want aswell.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement