Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The After Hours Everything Google Street View Is Now Live In Ireland....I see ya.

Options
  • 14-03-2009 11:53am

Dublin: If you happen to spot a black car with the Google logo cruising past you next week, give a wave. This is the famous Google car, used to capture panoramic images for Google Maps’ Street View, and following its mapping of cities around the US and Europe, it has finally arrived on Irish shores.

Street View is Google’s online, interactive, panoramic street-level photographic mapping system that is integrated into Google Maps and aims to give us an up-close-and-personal look at public streets and their environs.

The Google car – equipped with GPS and camera equipment – will be out on the beat next week, snapping images of Irish streets in a training exercise ahead of its task to map the five major Irish cities: Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford.

While Google is getting in gear with a test-drive next week, to be followed by the initial phase of mapping, its geospatial technologist Ed Parsons said that the process from gathering data to the final Street View will take any time from 3-4 months up to a year.

The city centres will be covered, and so too will suburban and outlying areas, depending on population density and business activity.

Although Street View is a series of images captured from the Google car, pedestrian zones such as Grafton Street will also be covered, said Parsons. However, he was not able to divulge how this will happen.

To get a taste of what to expect from Street View Ireland, take a look at the panoramic view of the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

Full Street View is also viewable on the mobile phone, currently limited to Google’s G1 Android device, which has not been given an official timeline for release here in Ireland.

As for privacy issues surrounding Street View, Iarla Flynn, European policy manager for Google, stated that advanced technology blurs out both faces and registration plates to protect identities and preserve privacy.

Individuals can also report further details captured by Street View that they feel is inappropriate.

By Marie Boran

Source: Silicon republic

It's about time this came to Ireland. Can't wait for them to come to Galway. We should try and get as many boardsie's to appear on there holding up signs with "I can see Yore Ma".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

So are they gonna be driving into all housing estates? That's gonna take ages. You'll see in places like Tallagh little kids throwins stones at them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Car goes into Ballymun,Occupants leave estate on foot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Thats lovely, we get to see all the dirt on the streets on the internet now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Someone should try paint the side of their house white with the broken image symbol in the top corner, see how many people google get pointing it out as an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

surprised they haven't done this sooner considering the EU HQ is in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Cool, hope I manage to catch it outside my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I will insure to have my bits out pushed up against the bay window so they capture that for the world to see.

Id imagine google will even give it its own grid reference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

From the IT http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0314/1224242851121.html?via=mr

Why black cars? Are they trying to be some sort of state security agency or something? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

sounds cool! il keep an eye out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hey, was just wondering, my house is kinda hidden away, you can't get in unless you know the magic word, it's enchanted you know, sort of like the house in Harry Potter.

Was wondering will people be able to see my house or not? I just spent a lot of money on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I read somewhere that all the cars that they've been using around Europe were all bought in Ireland, so I guess they started in the rest of Europe and slowly made their way back to Ireland.

But they're starting next week?! Worst week ever to take pictures of Dublin. Lets hope they edit out the pictures of the huge amount of 12 year old drunks they'll come across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Full Street View is also viewable on the mobile phone, currently limited to Google’s G1 Android device, which has not been given an official timeline for release here in Ireland.

It's been available on the iPhone since software version 2.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭reggiethefirst

c - 13 wrote: »
    Someone should try paint the side of their house white with the broken image symbol in the top corner, see how many people google get pointing it out as an error.

Give this man a prize. He has just won.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dammit.Now I need times its gonna be in waterford, its route and a couple of giant pins so I can mark out important places

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

There's still not even decent sat images on google of Ireland...You'd think they'd sort that out first..

Ah well... The car won't make it out of tallaght in one piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

One question - why is this worth a sticky?!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Brown.Eyed.Girl

Never mind Tallaght. I doubt the car will make it out of Town in one piece. I bet someone tries to steal the camara off the car within the first 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

There's still not even decent sat images on google of Ireland...You'd think they'd sort that out first..

Ah well... The car won't make it out of tallaght in one piece.
    they don't use their own satellites for that, they use NASA's, and NASA are more concerned about other things than what paddy joe john murphy is doing in a field in laois.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

One question - why is this worth a sticky?!
    It's the random thread of the day

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

It's also awesome.

I'm gonna paint my house to look like the 'Home' button in Chrome. And change my street sign to a url.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

they don't use their own satellites for that, they use NASA's, and NASA are more concerned about other things than what paddy joe john murphy is doing in a field in laois.

Ah, but that's assuming they don't know about Paddy Joe John Murphy's nuclear weapons program.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And to add to that, the high resolution photos are aerial photography not satellite....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I'm pretty sure it's in Brussels....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Valmont wrote: »
    Google dont have a Brussels office
    Dublin is the european HQ (according to job adverts anyway(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Valmont wrote: »

I can't believe there are people out there that don't know whats in their own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Skyuser wrote: »
    I can't believe there are people out there that don't know whats in their own country.

I presumed he was just joking at how the post was phrased....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do if you see one coming down the road? Mooning comes to mind, thats bout it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Skyuser wrote: »

God forbid someone doesn't know that google have their European headquarters in Dublin. I did know that, I pass it five days a week on the dart. Don't be ridiculous.

I bet you didn't know that there is a small hardware shop near the old cinema in Greystones.

I mistakenly thought creamygoodness was referring to the European Union HQ as his post implied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I for one welcome our Google overlords

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Hey go to 8 Sampsonia Way, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania 15212 and switch to street view and rotate around

Advertisement