Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Messi19

Been having problems with the return/back button ghost pressing itself over the last few days. Anyone come across this before or know of any fixes? Really gets annoying. I only have the phone since christmas so at the worst I can just bring it back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Has anyone had a battery replaced on their S6 Edge? Battery life is not great - there's a significant drain even when the phone is not being used. The S4 was so handy when you could just pop in a new battery yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

So last night I plugged in my phone and every few minutes it kept making that beeping sound that it does when you plug it in initially. Dust in the phone end of things maybe or a fault with the plug itself?!

Battery life is still horrible anyway, which is my only real complaint with the S6 apart from the poor audio experience. Anyone here install any audio mods that they'd recommend?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Testament1 wrote: »
    So last night I plugged in my phone and every few minutes it kept making that beeping sound that it does when you plug it in initially. Dust in the phone end of things maybe or a fault with the plug itself?!

Battery life is still horrible anyway, which is my only real complaint with the S6 apart from the poor audio experience. Anyone here install any audio mods that they'd recommend?

I had that exact same problem, I ended up sending it back to be fixed, no difference. I got an app called Package Disabler Pro which stopped the VR stuff kicking in. It was really annoying me to the point where I was going to throw the phone away, especially as at night the phone screen would keep turning on and off. 1 day the phone went completely dead but I had to get someting off it so I kept turning it on so I completely wiped the battery, I plugged it into a charger downstairs then and left it charging for 24 hours, phone is working perfectly since for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

So my phone appears to have stopped that annoying beeping when charging of its own accord, strange but most welcome! Thinking maybe some dust or grit could have been causing poor contact in the phone jack?

How's everyone finding battery life these days? I'm on 6.0.1, stock firmware but rooted and battery life is horrendous. Phone is a year old now and gone from being able to get the day out of it to only half that. When I unplug it fully charged it gives an estimated 10 hours standby time. Use the phone and the battery percentage drops like a stone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

Yeah same problem here, battery life has been a joke the last while. Such a shame because other than that this phone has been perfect over the last year and a bit but the battery is really making me want to upgrade.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm at 65% and I've been off charge since around 7 this morning, I've noticed a considerable improvement in battery life since I got rid of all the bloatware

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Clareman wrote: »
    I'm at 65% and I've been off charge since around 7 this morning, I've noticed a considerable improvement in battery life since I got rid of all the bloatware

What did you get rid of ?

Package Disabler Pro seems to get rid of everything with Samsung in the name, I noticed a few things missing like Peel Remote and Amazon App Store but I can just turn individual things back on if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Another fairly large update today 415 mb.
    Wonder if it will fix wi fi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,380 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Redriddick wrote: »
    Another fairly large update today 415 mb.
    Wonder if it will fix wi fi

I got that too. I like how the release notes are particularly unhelpful in identifying what's been included... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

dulpit wrote: »
    I got that too. I like how the release notes are particularly unhelpful in identifying what's been included... :rolleyes:

I updated and all I can really notice so far is that the icon for my gallery has changed.

I doubt that was the full 415MB but y'never know...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Well the WiFi is still ****e.I think I am gonna sell mine.
    Between the WiFi issue and the battery I have a pain in me arse

Redriddick wrote: »
    Well the WiFi is still ****e.I think I am gonna sell mine.
    Between the WiFi issue and the battery I have a pain in me arse

I had similar issues and I installed Package Disabler Pro, along with the intermittant issue with the phone thinking there was a VR headset attached from time to time, might be worth a try

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ospolice.packagedisablerpro

What's the wifi issue people are talking about? I only got mine back in July (free on VF, thank you), have never had problem connecting to wifi.

dulpit wrote: »
    What's the wifi issue people are talking about? I only got mine back in July (free on VF, thank you), have never had problem connecting to wifi.

There's an issue with wifi and Bluetooth where wifi locks, especially bad I noticed with audio devices

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Gmaximum

Clareman wrote:
    There's an issue with wifi and Bluetooth where wifi locks, especially bad I noticed with audio devices

I have this problem too using a Bluetooth speaker and Google music.

Complete pain and battery is getting worse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I had similar issues and I installed Package Disabler Pro, along with the intermittant issue with the phone thinking there was a VR headset attached from time to time, might be worth a try

What a difference!! My battery used to run out by ca. 7 o'clock. Didn't matter whether I used the phone much or not. Constant battery drain.

Since I installed this my battery barely discharges at all if I'm not actively using the phone. Best 77 cent I ever spent!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Cortecs wrote: »
    What a difference!! My battery used to run out by ca. 7 o'clock. Didn't matter whether I used the phone much or not. Constant battery drain.

Since I installed this my battery barely discharges at all if I'm not actively using the phone. Best 77 cent I ever spent!

I downloaded it as well and havent noticed much difference.Did you manually pick the stuff to disable or let the app choose?

Both. I manually added stuff that I don't use. Maybe mine was worse than yours though so that when I got rid of a 'bad' one it made a bigger difference? I've doubled the battery life I'd say. I still had 50% battery left at 11.00 last night from 7 in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I have my S6 Edge since April and it's recently developed a problem. It's freezing, shutting itself down and re-starting.
    The only advice Google has thrown up is starting in safe mode and clearing the cache partition or doing a factory reset.
    Just wondering if anyone here has had the same problem before I start messing around with it.

Speaking of battery life, I borrowed an iPhone 5 from work for an after hours call to US on Thursday night. Charged it up 100% that afternoon, used it for a 1.5 hr call and left it aside. Just checked it now and it's still 60% remaining!!!! 3 days later. There are no apps or anything on the phone but still. That's pretty phenomenal I'd have thought.

One thing to watch out for with Package Disabler Pro is that the auto-mode can be quite zealous, it ended up disabling Audible for me... Just installed this morning, will see if it has any impact on battery life over next day or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

What packages would you disable ?

threein99 wrote: »
    What packages would you disable ?

I disabled them all and turned them on as I noticed something wasn't working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

For the last week or so, my phone seems to be turning itself off at night when I leave it charging. Had only really noticed because it was looking for my password to unlock instead of fingerprint (as required after a reset) but then this morning the phone was completely off when I woke up.

Has anyone else had issues like this?

For the last week or so, my phone seems to be turning itself off at night when I leave it charging. Had only really noticed because it was looking for my password to unlock instead of fingerprint (as required after a reset) but then this morning the phone was completely off when I woke up.

Has anyone else had issues like this?

Sounds like it's overheating, check the cable and the charging port to make sure there's nothing caught in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Bit of a wide one here.... but since I have an S6 I said I'd try here first....

I have one of the "fast" chargers, which is a 3-pin plug which takes a USB cable.

Can this be used with devices other than the phone?

When I use it with the phone, sometimes the connector and phone heat up to fairly alarming temperatures (I'd never leave it plugged in to that charger overnight!) - I'm wondering would I just "fry" other devices if I used that plug?

I've a fast charger left in a "handy" spot in the kitchen and I use it on all types of devices without any issues, I've even charged iphones off it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

I've used the fast charger on lots of devices. It automatically does 5v 'slow' charging for the other stuff. However, I think this charger broke by PS4 controller so I wouldn't use it with one of those again.

It will heat up more than usual when fast charging as it's pushing more juice into it between 20℅ and 80%. Reverts back to slow charging at 80-100% so it shouldn't be hot when charged.

Advertisement