Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has a game ever made you cry?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

robo getting attacked in Chrono Trigger was something of a sad moment :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

nuxxx wrote: »
    robo getting attacked in Chrono Trigger was something of a sad moment :P
    As was Crono getting munted by Lavos, though it's somewhat negated by the fact he's eventually replaced with a doll.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,873 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think as said games have a long way to go to catch up with films and literature when it comes to writing. When you have badly written dreck like Heavy Rain, Metal Gear or Final Fantasy getting held up by gamers and the press as examples of great writing then you have something very wrong. Something like Heavy Rain wouldn't even come close to a bad episode of criminal minds and stuff like MGS and FF would be laughed out of the cinema.

It's not all bad though, there's a small handful of games that I believe match the best of both cinema and literature. Games like System Shock 2 and Silent Hill 2 would be two I consider but they are few and far between.

There's also the fact that a lot of games don't use the game medium as fully as they should, many game narratives would work outside the confines of the game and are basically cutscenes with gameplay in between.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think as said games have a long way to go to catch up with films and literature when it comes to writing. When you have badly written dreck like Heavy Rain, Metal Gear or Final Fantasy getting held up by gamers and the press as examples of great writing then you have something very wrong. Something like Heavy Rain wouldn't even come close to a bad episode of criminal minds and stuff like MGS and FF would be laughed out of the cinema.

It's not all bad though, there's a small handful of games that I believe match the best of both cinema and literature. Games like System Shock 2 and Silent Hill 2 would be two I consider but they are few and far between.

There's also the fact that a lot of games don't use the game medium as fully as they should, many game narratives would work outside the confines of the game and are basically cutscenes with gameplay in between.

Badly written? Metal Gear? How bloody dare you! :P

*runs off crying with fingers in ears*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,873 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Can love blossom on the battlefield?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Can love blossom on the battlefield?

La-la-la! I'm not listening! :pac:

"Snake, you've got to save Meryl! You can find a PSG1 all the way back in that first building you were in. She probably won't die in the time it takes you to trek there and back..."

Oh noes! My own mind is betraying me! It's well written damn it! WELL WRITTEN! :mad:

I actually like when the metal gear games are being self referential like that but maybe that's down to the voice acting. It think it's hilarious how they say their goofy lines explaining the game mechanics or controls in such a straight faced matter of fact manner as if it was all normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

La-li-lu-le-lo! I'm not listening! :pac:
    FYP :p

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    gone on sale on steam for 24 hrs too so might be worth checking out

Frankly, this thread isn't complete until you've played this game too. Especially when it only costs €2.71!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/11/03/wot-i-think-to-the-moon/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Unless you have been watching nothing but blockbuster schlock there's no way you can say this with a straight face. Found Mass Effect nothing more than a fun bit of space opera. It's hardly a groundbreaking piece for sci-fi exploring any kind of deep issues other than kill the bad guys.

There's no accounting for taste. This must be how fans of FFVII feel when reading your posts.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

90% of the Metal Gear series is godawful writing, it had its charms in the earlier games but now Kojima fancies himself a wordsmith and he's anything but. Banal conversations about absolute gubbins shouldn't be what the majority of a game is taken up by. Fried eggs cutscenes my hole.

I like the series as much as anyone else but its not well written at all for the most part, ridiculously convoluted plots and nonsensical twists do not a good story make.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

End of Mario 1, first world.

What do you mean she is in another castle you little mushroom turd?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

Storytelling in the Mass Effect series easily surpasses most of the films I've seen in recent years.
    I like the ME gameas a lot, but you obviously havent watched many good movies if you really think that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

R.F. wrote: »
    I like the ME gameas a lot, but you obviously havent watched many good movies if you really think that.

Maybe it's the interactive aspect of the medium. In any case, I think it's got some of the best storytelling of the medium.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Polar101

Storytelling in the Mass Effect series easily surpasses most of the films I've seen in recent years.

I just finished another playthrough of Mass Effect 1 on Sunday, the series is outstanding and one of my all time favourites. And I just love the story, it is brilliant. Now I've started playing ME2 again. But I don't really find the series emotional, it's just great entertainment for me. If it was a movie, I doubt it'd be very good.

Polar101 wrote: »
    I If it was a movie, I doubt it'd be very good.

True, but what clinches it for me is that you can add your own unique choices to the trilogy and then start from scratch for a different experience if you so desire.

H. H. Asquith

You can do the same in a choose your own adventure book. However if it's badly written it's a still badly written choose your own adventure. When you have stuff like Planescape Torment and Fallout 2 doing the same stuff better and with real quality writing it's hard to be amazed by Mass Effect no matter how much fun I had with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I can think of a few:
    Journey (just such a beautiful game in every respect, I played 80% of teh game with some randomer - as you do in Journey - and lost him at the very last stage when it goes a bit mental, I looked for ages and was distraught, then i realised he'd been waiting for me at the end of the level so we could finish it together... gulp... so thoughtful)
    Legend of Zelda Link to the Past (the ending when it shows all the people you have met and the places you have been)
    Mass Effect 3 (depending on how you played Mass Effect 2 certain things unfold which can be pretty saddening, I wont say what as it's a spoiler)

Sorry all, didn't realise everyone had already jumped to speaking about the ME series (I used the quick reply link on page one - my bad).... what a hell of a series!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,164 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mass Effect 2 managed an impressive feat IMO - it crafted an adventure that felt like the player actually had some agency in its progression and outcome. It was, like any game, an illusion: obviously it was all pre-ordained and subject to Bioware's script / systems. But the level of deviation in individual's endings goes to show they did a great job at crafting something that put the weight of decision-making and relationship building on the player's shoulders. It proactively encouraged you to understand the motivations, strengths and weaknesses of your squad, and convincingly built its narrative and level design around that concept. Yes, it is merely another space opera, but it's a brilliantly designed one even when the script falls flat (dear Bioware: please never attempt a sex scene again as you make it look like two action figures being bumped off each other). I don't think the first or third games came anywhere near successfully achieving the same goals. Most disappointingly, the third game undermined the importance of your achievements in game two - while Mass Effect 2 promised that the squad you put together and their survival were vital for the forthcoming war, reducing several of them to mere NPCs or cameos in the sequel was a baffling call. Some of them were granted their grand send-off, but the arbitrary decision-making at the end made everything that came before seem more than a little pointless.

The Persona series is an example of another series that has a meaningful, dynamic relationship between gameplay, characters and story - your decisions throughout the 'social' aspects of the game significantly impact upon your abilities in the 'combat' gameplay.

• Advertisement

I was very annoyed to see that not one single ME2 character joins your squad in ME3. Probably my main gripe about the game so far but then, I've yet to see the ending.

H. H. Asquith

Most disappointingly, the third game undermined the importance of your achievements in game two - while Mass Effect 2 promised that the squad you put together and their survival were vital for the forthcoming war, reducing several of them to mere NPCs or cameos in the sequel was a baffling call.

Ah now that's a bit harsh. They added to your mystic meter or galactic readiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Don't think I've ever actually shed buckets of tears during a game but RDR's ending did put a lump in the throat and maybe a tear in the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I wouldn't say I ever shed a tear but Fahrenheit is probably the game that played on the emotions.

I was very annoyed to see that not one single ME2 character joins your squad in ME3. Probably my main gripe about the game so far but then, I've yet to see the ending.

Mordin was in your squad at the start of 3 I thought? And wasn't Legion added in 2 too?

Mordin was in your squad at the start of 3 I thought? And wasn't Legion added in 2 too?

You went on missions with them but they weren't in your squad. You couldn't level them up, equip them or give them orders.

H. H. Asquith

You went on missions with them but they weren't in your squad. You couldn't level them up, equip them or give them orders.

Ah, my mistake. 3 is the one ME game that I've only played through once, so it's not as engrained in my memory as the others.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I got really heavily invested in Ocarina of Time when it first came out. I didn't cry but I genuinely felt like I'd lost something when it was finally over. A real mix of emotions. Plus I think i was a bit in love with Saria.

Conker's Bad Fur Day made me cry with laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Ghouls & Ghosts.... but not for sentimental reasons

The first time, right when you get to the last boss the first time... and are sent right back to the beginning of the game for a bloody key....

There were tears of frustration shed.... :(

• Advertisement

I got really heavily invested in Ocarina of Time when it first came out. I didn't cry but I genuinely felt like I'd lost something when it was finally over. A real mix of emotions.

I feel ya bro. The best games make you genuinely sad they are over.

Advertisement