Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has a game ever made you cry?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm sorry you feel that way, but not surprised.

But games are very poor at telling stories, and therefore making you care about any of the 'people' involved.
    It's an inherent weakness of the medium, especially one that, rightly, places more emphasis on things like graphical fidelity and gameplay mechanics.
    Pretending otherwise doesn't really do anyone any favours, and really listing the "emotional" moments in games does more to highlight their impotence and relative crudeness.

But clearly not always, given people's responses here. Some people do connect to the characters in the game beyond just controlling them. Yes, gameplay and graphics come first and (in the case of gameplay at least), rightly so. But some games have great stories which, when done right, can have an emotional impact greater than tv or movies can because there's more of a connection between character and audience.

I think it's unfair to say something like "Pretending otherwise doesn't really do anyone any favours". Fair enough, no game has ever made you cry or had any kind of emotional impact. But for a lot of people, they have experienced that.

One being mentioned a lot here is The Walking Dead, which is definitely a game which put story ahead of both graphics and gameplay. Most of the game is just deciding what to say to people from four or less given options. But the story has a deeper impact than the tv show or a Walking Dead movie could because it was your choices which made the character who he was, and how others responded to you. The game walks you down a fairly set path, but it's the relationship between characters (of which the players choices have a huge impact) which makes it one of the most emotional games of recent times. And as the push for story and character development continues to evolve (just as gameplay and graphics do), as well as great voice acting, music etc, story will continue to become a huge part of games, and almost every story will mean something to someone somewhere.

Just because no story in any game has made you feel emotional, doesn't mean that people are in any way "pretending" that it has for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Penn wrote: »
    But clearly not always, given people's responses here. Some people do connect to the characters in the game beyond just controlling them. Yes, gameplay and graphics come first and (in the case of gameplay at least), rightly so. But some games have great stories which, when done right, can have an emotional impact greater than tv or movies can because there's more of a connection between character and audience.

Really, because if anything I'd say the connection is far less due, mostly, to the "characters" not being real people and the general low standard of voice work in games. Quite how you can connect with such a rough facsimile of a person is beyond me.

I can't really see any reason to be sad when the game decides to simply stop rendering a bunch of polygons.

But the story has a deeper impact than the tv show or a Walking Dead movie could because it was your choices which made the character who he was, and how others responded to you.

But given that you can also replay and undo those choices, be entirely arbitrary in them or actively game the system to achieve a desired outcome games like TWD rely greatly on the player doing things "right" in order to be meaningful - if it can be so easily shattered then it's not only poor at being a meaningful experience, it shows how shoddy games are as a medium for telling stories.

i just think he's a twat

And yet I'm still better than you in every conceivable way. Funny that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I agree with hooradiation to an extent. I am disappointed to say I have never cried from playing a game. While games have certainly stirred all sorts of emotional responses from me (fear and paranoia from Amnesia anyone?), I have never reached the point of tears. Very often the storyline of a game has to be fabricated to fit the gameplay so it seems unbeliavable even in the context of the game. Immersion falls apart far too easily compared to other mediums. A simple thing such as pausing the game can break this tie for me. I am generalising a huge amount here of course.

Huge strides are being made all the time with games and thats why they are the most exciting medium out there. From games like Walking Dead to Dear Esther trying out new concepts goes to show how far the industry has come and how mucher further there is to go. Can you imagine how good some games will be in 50 years? Currently I feel they are behind other mediums in the story telling department on a whole. Starcraft 2's storyline was absolutely buthered for example but it still made for a fantastic single player and multiplayer game.

(I did cry when my SNES broke when I was a child but I don't think thats what you are getting at..)

To summraise hooradiation
    31219751.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

LOL, pathetic. Are you as negative in the real world as you are on boards ? Do you even know how to smile ??

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I can't really see any reason to be sad when the game decides to simply stop rendering a bunch of polygons.

By the same token, why would anyone cry at a cartoon when the animator just decides to stop drawing the character? Yet films like Bambi and the Lion King are widely hailed as THE movies that will make anyone cry.

But given that you can also replay and undo those choices, be entirely arbitrary in them or actively game the system to achieve a desired outcome games like TWD rely greatly on the player doing things "right" in order to be meaningful - if it can be so easily shattered then it's not only poor at being a meaningful experience, it shows how shoddy games are as a medium for telling stories.

Of course, you could go into a game with that mentality, that it doesn't matter and you're just going to replay it to get the right outcome anyway. But when I play games with a choice driven story element, I stick to the decisions I would make in real life. I don't even let it enter my mind that there are other options. For me, I'm just playing out my story.

You say they rely on you "doing things 'right'", but (to use this example again) in Mass Effect 2 you can make the wrong decisions and end up killing a large majority of the major characters and still carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

to be fair to him I am pretty useless

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Just because you haven't come across one yet doesn't mean it's not possible.

Same argument could be made about movies or books. Until you experience one you wont understand it.
    Throwing that statement around demonstrates that you are most definitely not better than anyone.

to be fair to him I am pretty useless

Nobody argued with him on that point :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Really, because if anything I'd say the connection is far less due, mostly, to the "characters" not being real people and the general low standard of voice work in games. Quite how you can connect with such a rough facsimile of a person is beyond me.

I regret saying I ever agreed with you. You have no idea what your talking about. Did you know actors in films aren't really those people either?? I know amazing right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

me2/3 in places.
    halo 4, ending with cortana and chief talking
    crisis warhead when your colleague dies - very moving scene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Never actually cried but there has been a few close calls. The Gears franchise is one that comes to mind,
    Dom's suicide in the third game and putting Maria out of her misery in the second game
    . As said before, the ending of MGS 3 was fairly emotional.

Like wnolan1992 said, the same could be said for cartoons. The same could be said for film even. Can't see any reason to be sad when an actor says things to another actor, pretends to die and then goes home to his mansion. Again, it's the emotional connect, along with voice work (in most games, standard, but in some games it can be terrific) and the right music. It's a suspension of disbelief and involvement in the story. Not all stories can pull it off, and in a lot of cases it seems like story was nothing more than an afterthought, but some games definitely pull it off.

And yet films and tv have no input from the audience, and therefore less of a connect in that sense. It's about the story, and a good story is a good story regardless of what medium it's presented in, so long as the story comes across as intended. Again, very few games get it right. But some do and the player is hugely rewarded for having invested in the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Roger Ebert, is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Why be sad when the director decides to stop showing an actor on screen? Why be sad when an author decides to stop writing about a character? When an animator stops drawing a character?

You're basically arguing that unless you literally see a real human die before your very eyes there is no reason to be sad.

You can re-write any novel you like, or re-cut a film. All mediums are subject to change, it's called suspension of disbelief.

Basically your position is really badly thought out and you don't make any sense and I think you kind of know it.
    Also I am quietly holding a suspicion that hooradiation is the same person that had an account on boards by the name of Shrimp a few years ago. Same avatar and the exact same petulant, childish, arrogant attitude. Might be a coincidence but Shrimp suddenly stopped posting one day and this guy registered a few months later.

Like wnolan1992 said, the same could be said for cartoons.

True, and rightfully so.
    The same could be said for film even. Can't see any reason to be sad when an actor says things to another actor, pretends to die and then goes home to his mansion.

Everyone is falling over themselves to say variations on this, and you are all missing something in your effort to be the first to do so.

While I find it very hard to care about characters even in films, I acknowledge that it is easier (not easy) to identify with someone that is actually a real person, does not live in the uncanny valley.
    A lot of work has to be done by all involved, sure, but a lot of the burden of "suspension of disbelief" if you want to call it that is alleviated by the people involved being actually human.
    Nonsense about "unless you see someone die" notwithstanding, there are various things you can do to ease the suspension of disbelief, video game characters are already operating at a severe disadvantage on this front, not least because our best efforts tend to look unconvincing as people.
    But also because there's a major disconnect between what happens in the "story parts" and what happens when you're in control.
    GTA4 exemplifies this problem quite well, as does ME3.

And yet films and tv have no input from the audience, and therefore less of a connect in that sense. It's about the story, and a good story is a good story regardless of what medium it's presented in, so long as the story comes across as intended. Again, very few games get it right. But some do and the player is hugely rewarded for having invested in the story.

I don't think any game has ever gotten it right, and the strengths of the medium do not lie in the realm of story telling.
    The fact that after sixty or so years games are still very poorly aping films when they are at their "best" would speak to a more fundamental problem with the medium in this area.

Maybe it's because if you're going to try and tell a story (an essentially fixed series of events) and then try to have people play a part in it you either end up with something where the players ability to impact the story is non existent, but they will destroy any kind of pacing simply by being there.

Or you offer them minor impact (branching paths or what have you) but the "freedom" only serves to highlight the limitations of the impact you can have, and ultimately frustrate because "why can't I do X instead of Y".

We want to offer players a story but on the other hand we want them to have a part in it - how do we reconcile the two?
    You have to ask the player to do it "right" then, surely?

And if you're doing that... well, why not just watch a film or read a book? At least there aren't two separate systems trying to gel with varying degrees of failure.

All that said, Zillah has uncovered my dastardly secret! oh noes! And I'd have gotten away with it too....

I guess amateur detective hour wasn't a total waste of everyone's time.
    Except for it the way that it was and let us never speak of this unabashed stupidity ever again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Grimebox taking a week long break from the forum for personal abuse. It's an interesting topic people, no need to take it to a personal level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While I think there's a lack of games that tell stories well - very much a significant minority, anyway - even through game mechanics it is possible to emotionally connect with a gaming experience. While this is often relegated to simple things like excitement, plenty of games can instill a sense of wonder, awe, shock, joy, humour etc... This is very often not realised through poorly crafted cutscenes but rather the experience and atmosphere of the game itself. Even your personal response to a victory or failure in a game is an emotional reaction.

Sadness is one of the rarer emotional reactions to a game - I have never broken down in tears anyway, but then I've never been moved to tears by any book, film etc..., even genuinely brilliant ones - but it is not an impossibility. The problem is most interactive storytellers are simply incompetent, throwing together subcinematic cutscenes that are laughably awful. But the likes of Valve or thatgamecompany have to their credit allowed many to connect with their games emotionally speaking by understanding the limitations and strengths inherent in that strange disconnect between passive storytelling and gameplay.

Of course like any novel or animated production suspension of disbelief and engagement with the inherently artificial nature of the medium is a prerequisite. If someone finds that impossible well no argument is going to persuade otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Cry, no; but this is the perfect opportunity for me to pop back in to say you should try out "To the Moon" if you're looking for a "there's something in my eye" moment while playing a game!

So far, I haven't been able to find another soul that's given it a chance:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/206440/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

You'll have the whole thing finished in one sitting if you've got a few hours to spare...

gone on sale on steam for 24 hrs too so might be worth checking out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

The end of Episode 2 nearly brought a tear, the suddenness of it and then listening to Alyx as the scene fades to black.

Oh and of course The Walking Dead at least twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Mostly the ones that have been mentioned:

The Walking Dead ending (and i normally don't get attachments to children in games or real life!)
    Mass Effect (
    Legion, not so much Mordin
    )
    Shadow of the Colossus

The ending to Enslaved gave me a lump in my throat, and a few others have given me the same, but not the the extent of crying/shedding a tear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

I got a bit choked up at the end of MGS3 I have to say.

That Star Sailor song at the end didn't help either! :o

EDIT: (Video probably has spoilers in it, clips of different cut scenes through out the game)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Game pretty close ib GoW3 and Red Dead Redemption

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Surprised the nearly endings of Shadow of the Colossus and Ico havent got more mentions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

crying game what a crap movie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Mass Effect 3:
    Tali taking off her helmet then jumping off a cliff in the Geth Fleet mission. Wasn't close to tears but felt so bad about it. I think i lost Legion on that part also. Legion sacrificed himself then Tali jumped off a cliff cause the Quarian fleet got destroyed. What did i do wrong :(
    Mass Effect 3 gets alot of flak but the Tuchunka mission was easily the best section in the trilogy. You are a true hero my Alien friend!
    When you have the option to save the admiral or the citizens, let me guess, you saved the citizens. Next playthrough, go the other way. Trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I lost Rex in Fallout New vegas. He was killed by a legion scouting party. I had put over 80 hours into the game by then and I had Rex following me for most of that. I know I could have gone back to a prior save, but then there is no weight to your decisions. There was genuine emotion when I had to walk away from his dead, lifeless body and continue my journey without him.

On edit: Red Dead Redemption also had a pretty emotional ending. Not sure I cried, but my heart isn't made of stone either!!

While I think there's a lack of games that tell stories well - very much a significant minority, anyway - even through game mechanics it is possible to emotionally connect with a gaming experience. While this is often relegated to simple things like excitement, plenty of games can instill a sense of wonder, awe, shock, joy, humour etc... This is very often not realised through poorly crafted cutscenes but rather the experience and atmosphere of the game itself. Even your personal response to a victory or failure in a game is an emotional reaction.

I think this is where the actual strength of games might actually lie.
    Not in "telling stories", but in provoking base reactions, like awe, in a way that films and books don't really manage to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Polar101

Can't say they have, maybe it is because storytelling in games isn't really up there with movies or books. I'm not really a big fan of cutscenes in games, I hate it when games try to be interactive movies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Polar101 wrote: »
    Can't say they have, maybe it is because storytelling in games isn't really up there with movies or books. I'm not really a big fan of cutscenes in games, I hate it when games try to be interactive movies.

Storytelling in the Mass Effect series easily surpasses most of the films I've seen in recent years.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Storytelling in the Mass Effect series easily surpasses most of the films I've seen in recent years.

Unless you have been watching nothing but blockbuster schlock there's no way you can say this with a straight face. Found Mass Effect nothing more than a fun bit of space opera. It's hardly a groundbreaking piece for sci-fi exploring any kind of deep issues other than kill the bad guys.

Advertisement