Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Separate threads for film & TV
    Rjd2 wrote: »
    White God added to Ireland netflix and a few other regions, popped up on a few lists at beginning of this year and plenty of hype about it.

Watched this tonight knowing nothing about it beforehand. It's strange, like David Fincher took over filming a Disney film half way through. Can't say I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Watched this tonight knowing nothing about it beforehand. It's strange, like David Fincher took over filming a Disney film half way through. Can't say I enjoyed it.

Ah shame, I'l give it a look later in the week. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I notice a few films on Netflix with a measly 2 stars will get 4/5 stars on say RottenTomatoes. Different audiences?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I notice a few films on Netflix with a measly 2 stars will get 4/5 stars on say RottenTomatoes. Different audiences?

The stars on Netflix are what they think you will rate the movie, there's some algorithm that goes by other films you rated I think.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

White God added to Ireland netflix and a few other regions, popped up on a few lists at beginning of this year and plenty of hype about it.:)

reviews and trailer.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/white_god/

I saw it during its theatrical release over here and while I overall enjoyed it, it's far from perfect. The dogsploitation bit at the core is well-executed and enjoyable - the problem is that almost half the film is spent on the protagonist dog's owner. This is fine when it's directly showing us the bond between the girl and the dog (because this then ties into the dog's storyline), but way too much of it is spent on some frankly pedestrian "the lives of teenagers" guff that held little or no interest.

It's worth a watch, because the dog's story is very well told - but if you were to fast forward the bits about the girl you wouldn't be missing much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Finally watched The Babadook, not usually a fan of 'horror' but my OH is so it was her pick. I was pleasantly surprised by the film and really enjoyed it. Stayed with me for days, not at all a standard horror and I thought the two lead performances were outstanding. I will say, the fact we have a son almost the same age as the boy in the movie helped the film really strike a chord with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

Finally watched The Babadook, not usually a fan of 'horror' but my OH is so it was her pick. I was pleasantly surprised by the film and really enjoyed it. Stayed with me for days, not at all a standard horror and I thought the two lead performances were outstanding. I will say, the fact we have a son almost the same age as the boy in the movie helped the film really strike a chord with us.

It really is a great movie

Speaking of horrors I just watched the human centipede 1&2 on Netflix Ireland.
    Absolutely mental and not for those with a weak constitution.
    Definitely one to watch for seasoned horror viewers. They are sick films. Anyone not into that should keep well clear or you'll be seeing your dinner.
    I thought number two was much worse.
    Number 3 is on now so be watching that soon :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Mickeroo wrote: »
    About Time added to the Irish site, funnily enough I only watched it last night on the Dutch one. Really enjoyed it, a lot better than what I expected.

Tried watching this last night and I could only get an hour in. Awful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

sm213 wrote: »

Definitely one to watch for seasoned horror viewers. They are sick films. Anyone not into that should keep well clear or you'll be seeing your dinner.

I think number 3 has a 1 rating on metacritic. The sadist in me wonders if I'd be able to sit through a trilogy that's meant to be that terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Ah shame, I'l give it a look later in the week. :o

Well, it's certainly not worthless, I just didn't find it enjoyable.

The audience rating for White God was 70% as opposed to the critics 90%. It's a greater sample size but also I imagine critics are often looking for something that's at least different to relieve the tedium of watching so many films, so their tastes necessarily diverge from ours. So, yes. :pac:
    Fysh wrote: »
    It's worth a watch, because the dog's story is very well told - but if you were to fast forward the bits about the girl you wouldn't be missing much.

I think my main problem with it is that it couldn't decide what movie it wanted to be. There was a bit too much establishment before we got to the main event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I never bother with the Netflix ratings as they seem to be useless, totally unreliable...

They (re-)added a "sort by genre /categories" option on some devices thatbwere previously missing it eg Playstation app. So you can search by Horror and view films available to watch for Halloween. Would recommend House of the Devil - it was made about five years ago but was filmed on actual film to give it a look from the 1970s and has graphics that match that era too. It's not all out gore, more of a slow-burn to build tension before the reveal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

sm213 wrote: »

Thought they were truly awful films and I'm a horror movie fan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭You Mirin?

I don't know why Netflix don't partner with IMDB or RT to display their ratings on every title on Netflix on all devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,356 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

You Mirin? wrote: »
    I don't know why Netflix don't partner with IMDB or RT to display their ratings on every title on Netflix on all devices.

IMDB is owned by Amazon so I doubt that would happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ageyev wrote: »
    I never bother with the Netflix ratings as they seem to be useless, totally unreliable...

I'm that way with IMDB, I've watched so many films I thoroughly enjoyed that had crap ratings on their site.

But Netflix ones I think reflect my taste a bit better. Rotten Tomatoes need an app though.

IMDB is owned by Amazon so I doubt that would happen.

Ah, well I guess that's that.

Tbh there is so much dross on Netflix that any rating system is pretty much useless. Threads like this are good enough for recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Speaking of recommendaions have to recommended The Virgins Suicides not available in Ireland but the U.S has it. Looking forward to Fargo season 2 now knowing Kirsten Dunset will be in it now she gave a great performance in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Black Book about a Jewish girl in Holland during World War 2. Its in dutch, has English subtitles. Really good film.
    on Irish Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Fysh wrote: »
    I saw it during its theatrical release over here and while I overall enjoyed it, it's far from perfect. The dogsploitation bit at the core is well-executed and enjoyable - the problem is that almost half the film is spent on the protagonist dog's owner. This is fine when it's directly showing us the bond between the girl and the dog (because this then ties into the dog's storyline), but way too much of it is spent on some frankly pedestrian "the lives of teenagers" guff that held little or no interest.

It grew on me the further I got away from it, yeah not a resounding success but I'd still take it over a lot of the safe stuff we've been getting.

It has a cold open that puts most of Breaking Bad's to shame so if you want to just see the first five minutes go ahead. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Netflix are apparently raising prices by another dollar in the U.S next month. Don't know whether it will affect us over here though and its only for new sign ups.Existing coustmers will still only be charged the standard $8.99 till October 2016.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Netflix are apparently raising prices by another dollar in the U.S next month. Don't know whether it will affect us over here though and its only for new sign ups.Existing coustmers will still only be charged the standard $8.99 till October 2016.

They've already announced the future price increase here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Well, Attack on Titan was fairly ****ing class lads. Recommended.

Well, Attack on Titan was fairly ****ing class lads. Recommended.

Is it on Ireland?

You Mirin? wrote: »
    Is it on Ireland?

Yes. It is an anime type deal.

In the space between the likes of Sense8, Daredevil, Bloodlines, et al making a return, I'm seriously struggling to find anything interesting to watch in the TV department and usually just rewatch shows I've already watched.

They really need to bring back the Office US!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Scream TV show is on Netflix Ireland a lot better than i was expecting

In the space between the likes of Sense8, Daredevil, Bloodlines, et al making a return, I'm seriously struggling to find anything interesting to watch in the TV department and usually just rewatch shows I've already watched.

If you have USA Netflix, look up the shows Terriers (action comedy about two haphazard private investigators) and Awake (thriller drama about a detective caught between two realities after a car crash, one where his son is alive and his wife died then he wakes up ij the other reality where his wife is alive and son is dead, he solves crimes using clues from each reality )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Scream TV show is on Netflix Ireland a lot better than i was expecting

I've been toying with starting with that or Sense 8. Very different genres but thats what I'm down to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Is parks n recs on the Irish Netflix? If do its a worthy companion to the US office.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement