Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traffic Blues - RTE1 - May 31st

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Well this weeks episode was brutal again.

"A prisoner resists arrest"......... i would have called him a compliant drunk, if thats resisting arrest then the prisoners that most of us would consider "resisting" arrest must be possessed

Its the exact same rubbish as last week.... drunk driver, speeder bla bla bla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Random wrote: »
    Right. Just watched tonights one.

The drunk driver @ Drogehda garda Station. How did the off duty Garda get the call first?
    Why did the Gardai need to call backup once your man was in cuffs? They had 3 bodys on the scene?

Very unhappy in general though in terms of the content though. The show is too short and there just isn't a good enough mix of content.

I still dislike those interviews in the office and would rather they did them all in the cars or whatever.

I think the "off duty" garda was driving an unmarked patrol car, i certainly throught i saw the blues when the other car pulled up, i suppose he couldve been returning from dublin/court or numerous things.

There was 2 of them and then back up arrived, in fairness, man with previous for assault, witha slash hook in the car, twas a good decision. Remember they woulda called for backup before he was cuffed so couldve turned nasty, which they didnt but rte managed to fod it off as resisting arrest, certianly didnt look that way!

Think the show showed up some of the problems with northern ireland drivers and foreign drivers in general all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Don't get me wrong. I loved the show. I really think it should be longer though. I also think they need to focus more on the incidents and not the bloody safety lectures IMO.

The drunk driver @ Drogehda garda Station. How did the off duty Garda get the call first?
    Why did the Gardai need to call backup once your man was in cuffs? They had 3 bodys on the scene?

Very unhappy in general though in terms of the content though. The show is too short and there just isn't a good enough mix of content.

I still dislike those interviews in the office and would rather they did them all in the cars or whatever.

+1
    Unless he's one of those lads that keep a scanner in their car :rolleyes:... strange

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Also it seemed strange to issue a nordie driver a FCPN?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Nothing at present in the way of repeats, certainly nothing in the next month. :(
    They're repeating the same show every week!

Also it seemed strange to issue a nordie driver a FCPN?
    And imagine that, it wasn't paid!

I wonder are there figures for this from both sides of the border?

deadwood wrote: »
    They're repeating the same show every week!

What ya think will be on it next week....... im gonna take a wild guess..........
    Drink driver, speeder, northern car, some other safety message and some other rubbish that wont be interesting.

The whole thing is so PC aswell, ya can see from the way the members are acting.

And imagine that, it wasn't paid!

Are we talking about the one doing 82 through a 50 zone? They said she paid it?

I feel sorry for the members in it in a way. A lot of them appear to be acting like robots. The guys in Road Wars etc were at least given a chance to be themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

I just saw this show for the first time tonight. I thought it was pretty entertaining and seems like it could be worth watching. How accurate is the show as a whole?

I liked how they didn't seem to sensationalise everything that happened, it seemed as though they just acted like normal Gardaí responding to normal things. To me, that's worth much more than any kind of sensational story they could conjure up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Don't know if anyone here spotted this in last week's episode but the Megane that crashed in Dundalk with the suspected drunk male in it had a 'baby/child on board sticker' in the rear window.

Very nice of him to attempt to drive home intoxicated if he has kids , wonder if they were in the vehicle would he have attempted it in anyways?.

ccosgrave wrote: »
    I just saw this show for the first time tonight. I thought it was pretty entertaining and seems like it could be worth watching. How accurate is the show as a whole?

I liked how they didn't seem to sensationalise everything that happened, it seemed as though they just acted like normal Gardaí responding to normal things. To me, that's worth much more than any kind of sensational story they could conjure up.
    Are you anything to Andy in the show? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭wicklaman83

Right. Just watched tonights one.

******EDIT********

Sometimes I'm "afraid of their ****e" too. But this guy was in handcuffs at the time. This is how the voice over described it anyway. Others have suggested the backup was already called for - which would have made more sense. Just a little confused is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

IMO, the show was an improvement on last week.

The drunk driver was banned for 15years, and the mini bus driver was fined €300....well, I guess that was about it, but all in all, I thought it was better then last week.

Although the guy on the motorbike and the girls on the m50 should have been summonsed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Darren254 banned for 3 days for abusive and trolling posting.

Anybody know when RTE will have this episode online??

Usually after a couple of hours.

Chief--- wrote: »

Wait for the Christmas Box Set.

*Pssst* word is... there's bonus footage of....

wait for iiiit...

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=45654

a man being arrested for drunken driving!

Then theres the limited edition blue ray dvd with extra speeders

• Advertisement

Then theres the limited edition blue ray dvd with extra speeders
    There is also a deleted scene of a multi agency checkpoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

There is also a deleted scene of a multi agency checkpoint.

And plenty more heli footage of pedestrians walking where they shouldnt, gripping television!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Chief--- wrote: »
    Darren254 banned for 3 days for abusive and trolling posting.

On rte player now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

After watching the first two episodes I think I'll give the rest a miss. It is very poor IMO and just serves to expose just how little the gards are able, or willing, to do. Just take that 17 year old in the first episode last week. He was in a car that was barely road worthy with steam pooring out from under the bonnet because the water cap was missing he said he had a provisional licence but hadn't got it with him, he had no L plates and no qualified driver. Didn't hear them ask for insurance and to add to that just a month before, he was caught speeding. An absolute horror to have on the road:mad: With all those offences against him, was he taken out of the car and the car impounded? hauled off to the station to face charges? No!! he was told to go straight to the nearest garage and put water in the car and then go straight home, like good little boy!!! Disgrace!!! What if he had killed or injured someone on the way home? Lets hope that this series is not sold to the UK or the US, or anywhere else for that matter, as I reckon it will be advertised as a sitcom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 snaring

a car that needs a water cap is hardly unroadworthy. a wing mirror is not a legal requirement on a car. the only mirror legally required is the rear view mirror inside the car. as the young fella was 17 he is entitled to a warning and the gard has no say in it. it would be interesting to know if he ever came to garda attention after that though. if the guards applied the law like road wars the country would be in a heap. there is a lot of benefit to giving a person a chance. remember that if he was given a conviction it would impede him for years and we were all young once.
    he cant be hauled off to face charges as the law doesnt allow it, thats the law created by those voted into government by ourselves so we are all to blame for that situation. the gard has to operate within the law. its very narrow minded to assume that everyone should be screwed by the law. very easy the garda bash when you ignore the restraints under which they work. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

snaring wrote: »
    a car that needs a water cap is hardly unroadworthy. a wing mirror is not a legal requirement on a car. the only mirror legally required is the rear view mirror inside the car. as the young fella was 17 he is entitled to a warning and the gard has no say in it. it would be interesting to know if he ever came to garda attention after that though. if the guards applied the law like road wars the country would be in a heap. there is a lot of benefit to giving a person a chance. remember that if he was given a conviction it would impede him for years and we were all young once.
    he cant be hauled off to face charges as the law doesnt allow it, thats the law created by those voted into government by ourselves so we are all to blame for that situation. the gard has to operate within the law. its very narrow minded to assume that everyone should be screwed by the law. very easy the garda bash when you ignore the restraints under which they work. :cool:

He maybe only 17 but he had already broken the law with the speeding incident for which he should have had a warning. We were all young, but at what age does the law kick in? He was breaking the law by not having L plates, he was breaking the law by not having a qualified driver with him. At the end of the day he was breaking the law by driving that car. Whats the point of laws if they are not enforced? Makes a farce of them. A gard has to operate with in the law and that must be frustrating, but when laws are broken then they should do their job. If the laws of the road were applied like roadwars then the roads of Ireland would be far safer places! I am not Garda bashing as such because in general the gards do a good job, and I wouldn't do it for love or money. Like I said if that lad had killed or injured someone on his way home I think the excuse of "he's only 17 and he is entitled to a warning" would not go down well with the relatives of the victim. Warn him by all means but get him off the road untill he is legally in a situation to drive.

Raise the driving age to 18. Simple. No more JLO's needed for RTA offences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Agreed. Ye have no idea the fustration we have with young driving offenders getting caution after caution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Out of curiosity, i noticed alot of Guards wearing these little light things on their stab vests at night.

Do any of ye do this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Nelopee

afatbollix wrote: »
    pitty they dident leave in the "now remember lads this is on camera" when the car was stopped :P:pac: or showing them stopping the rally cars... that bit of footage is a classic..
    What footage?
    Is there secret extra footage somewhere?

Nelopee wrote: »
    Is there secret extra footage somewhere?

Ya did ya not know that :rolleyes:
    Its gonna be called Traffic Blues "Uncut"

Heres a sneak preview of one part......................

Two member of Donegal Traffic "Gone Wild"

mn_cops_three-thumb.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Lets hope that this series is not sold to the UK or the US, or anywhere else for that matter, as I reckon it will be advertised as a sitcom.
    While its not a bad show, I can't for the life of me imagine either the Yanks or the Brits breaking down the door of RTE to get their hands on this series. I find it hard to believe though that after spending six or nine months (or whatever it was) with various traffic corp, that the most exciting footage they could get was of a few dangerous drivers, or a few drunken drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,779 ✭✭✭✭kippy

gilly2308 wrote: »
    While its not a bad show, I can't for the life of me imagine either the Yanks or the Brits breaking down the door of RTE to get their hands on this series. I find it hard to believe though that after spending six or nine months (or whatever it was) with various traffic corp, that the most exciting footage they could get was of a few dangerous drivers, or a few drunken drivers.

A LOT of the footage on Roadwars etc is from constant mounted cameras in patrol cars, which I believe are very common in English and US patrol cars. The RTE show had limited amounts of their own cameras in a few cars across the country. The odds of getting something "exciting" would be low.
    The lack of footage and use of helicopters are also a factor.

The "few" drunken/dangerous drivers are thankfully as "bad" as it gets in Ireland in general. (on average) on the roads.

I think the program MAY remind people about a few things. If this program changes the driving habits of just one person it is well worth it.

kippy wrote: »
    The "few" drunken/dangerous drivers are thankfully as "bad" as it gets in Ireland in general. (on average) on the roads.

???????? :confused:

???????? :confused:

+ 1

Explain please you comment about drunk/dangerous drivers??

Thankfully as bad as it gets????? Silly comment IMO. How much worse can it get on the roads??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Downloading episode 1 and 2.................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

On the one hand, I think it shows a professionalism amongst some members that many people thought was lacking. I have often driven past people walking along motorways, especially out towards the airport at the weekends with people walking home from the pub taking a shortcut. I always thought I must have been the only person to know it is illegal and that the Gardai just didn't care!

That lad Eamon up in Donegal seems particularly professional and pragmatic to me.

On the other hand, it is relatively boring in tv terms. I thought they could spend a minute or so in a station detailing calls coming in. Maybe have a guard explain the controls on his car, the special equipment in the boot.

As it stands, the whole thing just comes over as a massive lecture to wrongdoers and then the guard is either powerless to do anything about it or else he lets them go anyway.

• Advertisement

+ 1

Explain please you comment about drunk/dangerous drivers??

Thankfully as bad as it gets????? Silly comment IMO. How much worse can it get on the roads??
    Sorry, a bit stupid of me. I was qualifying it against the stuff you see on Roadwars and the like, where you'd see multiple cop cars and a few choppers chasing a stolen car/robbers down a 2 lane DC with many innocent bystanders being bypassed by crazy speeding drivers with nothing to lose. Where you also see really really serious bad driving (not that it doesnt happen here) where the cops routinely stop cars for pretty standard stuff, find the driver is wanted for other offences and get guns/knives pulled on them.

I did obviously mean that drunk/dangerous driving was bad, just that the cops dont, in general, have to deal with a lot of the stuff which makes shows like Roadwars so "exciting" for the viewers/

Members deal with all the stuff that happens on road wars all the time..... public just dont hear about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They could have used the fact the car was foregin registered to impound it. Yes it wouldnt have been taking him off the road for the other offences, but does it matter?

gilly2308 wrote: »

Considering the amount of horrendous driving I've seen durign the course of my daily driving this week alone* the Gards must really go out of their way to avoid seeing offences, either that or they dont want to have to wear out their pens issueing fines and points.

Failing all that I can only assume I'm the luckiest (or unluckiest deppending on your view) driver on the road to encounter these people all the time.

* For one really bad stuff like knac...sorry "travellers" overtaking me and others on the back roads between clonee and Lucan into oncomign traffic that was braking to avoid them, while tryign to catch up to another van load of their fellow salt of the earth types. Then the same van travelling the new road between the Lucan Woodies and wyeth in clondalkin in the bus lane.

Every single time I travel on the M50 there are multiple instances fo bad and/or dangerous driving.I normally only travel between Tallaght and Clondalkin so it's not like I spend a long time on it.

Members deal with all the stuff that happens on road wars all the time..... public just dont hear about it

Part of the point I was trying to make although I would think that the odds of a random stopped driver pulling a gun on them would be a lot higher than in the US.

kippy wrote: »
    Part of the point I was trying to make although I would think that the odds of a random stopped driver pulling a gun on them would be a lot higher than in the US.

Road wars is based in the UK which isnt that far from Irish crime rates.

Ever have a knife pulled on you?? Im sure you'll find plenty members here that have.

+1
    Me for knife and put me down for gun too

+1
    Me for knife and put me down for gun too

ME for both too. Double barrell to myself and collegue followed by swift running. Put me down for an axe aswell!!

And syringe and slash hook.
    And the good auld petrol bomb for good measure............

Ah its a great job

And syringe and slash hook.
    And the good auld petrol bomb for good measure............

Ah its a great job

A but sure in fairness dont we have a great pension!!!!!!

And a great stab vest that doesnt protect against syringes!!! O how the list could go on but nog and psni who kick my a**:D

Road wars is based in the UK which isnt that far from Irish crime rates.

Ever have a knife pulled on you?? Im sure you'll find plenty members here that have.
    Having worked in US law enforcement I can say that myself and most of my colleagues were getting guns pulled on them on a weekly basis.
    +1
    I have had many a knife pulled on me, in fact more often than guns. It the knife guy that you need to be more afraid of.

• Advertisement
Advertisement