Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S3 Problems

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭xnightwishx

Hi Seb - my photos all came up the second time I synced with facebook, maybe you could just try sync it again.

To the two people who had the same problem re wifi connectivity from my original first post, I rang samsung today and the man told me he'd never heard of the problem. I was a bit cheeky and asked him to ask his colleagues because I saw on a few different websites that people had rang samsung. Turns out it was the wireless router. Just reset it and it will work again. The reason it is happening is because my wireless router is absolutely ancient and can't keep up with the samsung technology!! Would have to update the router to save me having to reset it each time it happens but it's about €140 for a decent dual band ADSL modem/wireless router so I'm gonna wait it out for now!! Thanks for the suggestions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Seb_bixby

Thanks Nightwish, tried that there but nothing doing. Hope it'll sort itself out, tis a little annoying! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Italia wrote: »
    Just got my SIII. Have managed to get a fair battery life balance, but looking to improve.
    Does anyone actually have Juice Defender installed on their SIII and does it actually work?
    I've read quite a few reviews that say it does not work properly with the SIII. Is there a specific version to install?

I have installed the free one for about a week now and it has nearly doubled my battery life. Now getting almost two days out of it,,,,,

I will be upgrading to the plus version fairly soon I think.

Try the free version, you wont regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Seb_bixby

Got the photos into my contacts had to sync from the Facebook app. Any one else's phone go onto roaming. Mine was doing it last night so I dropped into the 3 store today to find out about it and they said it's just coz if there's no 3g network they go onto Vodafone. Won't be charged for it. Just said I'd let people know. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Anyone had a problem receiving mms messages ? The message is in my inbox but when I click download it says downloading but then nothing happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭fgaha

Hi I have a problem with people hearing me on calls constantly. Also I find my phone gets very hot at the back. Anyone have this problem. Then this morning I went and dropped it and broke the outer screen on the front. Anyone know how much it costs to get it fixed on meteor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Holy crap, seems its easy enough to damage the phone if dropped, let us know how you get on, hate the idea of insurance but it might be an idea on an expensive phone like this, easy as hell to slip out of your top pocket if leaning over

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭pigeon999

threein99 wrote: »
    Anyone had a problem receiving mms messages ? The message is in my inbox but when I click download it says downloading but then nothing happens
    Hi there,
    Are you connected to the internet (3G)?

pigeon999 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Are you connected to the internet (3G)?

Yea that was the problem, I had the mobile data switched off

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

Anybody else having problems with the sound not working when receiving txt messages? I returned the phone last week because of it and they gave me a brand new one. Now after 5 days its happening again. Have searched a few android forums and plenty of people have the same problem. Maybe the shop i bought it in got a dodgy batch of them.

• Advertisement

Marco85 wrote: »
    Anybody else having problems with the sound not working when receiving txt messages? I returned the phone last week because of it and they gave me a brand new one. Now after 5 days its happening again. Have searched a few android forums and plenty of people have the same problem. Maybe the shop i bought it in got a dodgy batch of them.

Have you got notifications switched on in the drop down menu ?

I do indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I do indeed.
    Did you select a sound
    from the settings. In the messages menu?

god's toy wrote: »

I do indeed.
    Did you select a sound
    from the settings. In the messages menu?

Tried that there and still have the problem.

I have the same problem with the messages as well. For what it's worth mine was got in Kilkenny. Have to go in about my screen tomorrow anyway so will see what they say about the rest of the problems

fgaha wrote: »
    I have the same problem with the messages as well. For what it's worth mine was got in Kilkenny. Have to go in about my screen tomorrow anyway so will see what they say about the rest of the problems

If the phone is less than 28 days old they will replace it with a new one.

fgaha wrote: »

If the phone is less than 28 days old they will replace it with a new one.

I hope so. Except I cracked the outer screen which doesn't really bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

When using my browser on the GS3 it's really dark and I can barely read it. So I found out that the issue is in the browser setting itself where Power Saving mode 3 is enabled. When I pick the 'Don't use any powersaving' option (forgot what it's called exactly) I get a nice bright browser screen and I can easily read everything. However, when I start the browser again it's back to the old dark settings. I tried it with the 'let android pick your own brightness option and without but it always goes back to Power save 3. Driving me nuts.

I like that they have the option of the 'general adjusting screen brightness in android' and a separate one for the browser bc. it makes it easier to read but it's just not saving the setting I pick. Hope there is a simple solution for this.

This might be more of an android issue, not sure but it drives me insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

The stock browser has its own brightness settings (don't understand why). Open the browser, menu, brightness and colours.. and switch it off.

rh5555 wrote: »
    When using my browser on the GS3 it's really dark and I can barely read it. So I found out that the issue is in the browser setting itself where Power Saving mode 3 is enabled. When I pick the 'Don't use any powersaving' option (forgot what it's called exactly) I get a nice bright browser screen and I can easily read everything. However, when I start the browser again it's back to the old dark settings. I tried it with the 'let android pick your own brightness option and without but it always goes back to Power save 3. Driving me nuts.

I like that they have the option of the 'general adjusting screen brightness in android' and a separate one for the browser bc. it makes it easier to read but it's just not saving the setting I pick. Hope there is a simple solution for this.

This might be more of an android issue, not sure but it drives me insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Hi elderlemon. Thanks for the reply. This exactly where I turned it off (set to default) in the browser itself but when I start the browser again it's right back to Level 3 power saving in the browser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Hi elderlemon. Thanks for the reply. This exactly where I turned it off (set to default) in the browser itself but when I start the browser again it's right back to Level 3 power saving in the browser.

Try using Chrome or Firefox as your browser instead. I found the stock Samsung one too dark also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Try using Chrome or Firefox as your browser instead. I found the stock Samsung one too dark also.
    +1 and the dolfin HD browser works really well also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    +1 and the dolfin HD browser works really well also.

+1 for dolphin HD!! Great browser

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

PTs at

Check power saving , slide down screen its 6th from the right, turn off, it bugged me for two weeks, that sorted stock browser,:cool:
    Mine diverts calls to, mailbox before it rings mostly vodafone, getting annoying at this stage, its my main business phone, being self employed,, tried turning on/off mailbox, emobile gave me a number to dial ##61##08651111111**30*, still the problem persists, being return next week if they can't fix it via network

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Familypeeps

***New Problem ***

hehehe - okay, my problem is my screen goes dark when I'm dialling a number and have just selected 'normal' or Skype - I then don't get a chance to select the loudspeaker option.

It also means that if I go into voicemail, I can't select any options and I hear the menu three /four times which is very annoying before it shuts itself off. Sometimes other voicemail menus don't automatically terminate and I'm connected for minutes at a time unable to make any further calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Having an issue with the bluetooth auto connecting to the car.

Once set up it works fine but when i leave the car and go back it wont auto connect again, try manually and still wont connect. I have to unpair and delete the profile and go through the initial setup again.

Three network btw.

Known issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I have a Nokia CK-15W kit and my S3 connects flawlessly if I remember to activate BT on the phone (I use Juice Defender to power BT off when I get to 15m from the car, so can save on battery).
    If BT is on....switch car on & 5-10 seconds later its connected without any interaction on my part.
    So no, I don't think its a known issue.
    oleras wrote: »

Once set up it works fine but when i leave the car and go back it wont auto connect again, try manually and still wont connect. I have to unpair and delete the profile and go through the initial setup again.

Three network btw.

Known issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

***New Problem ***

hehehe - okay, my problem is my screen goes dark when I'm dialling a number and have just selected 'normal' or Skype - I then don't get a chance to select the loudspeaker option.

It also means that if I go into voicemail, I can't select any options and I hear the menu three /four times which is very annoying before it shuts itself off. Sometimes other voicemail menus don't automatically terminate and I'm connected for minutes at a time unable to make any further calls.

This is the proximity sensor, which switches the phone off when you are on a call and it thinks you have the phone up to your ear. The screen should come on after a second after you take it away from you rear (and don't have anything -such as your hand- in front of it) You should be able to switch this setting off somewhere, but I would recommend getting used to how it works, as you are better off without the screen being on while you're on a call heating up the side of your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Three network btw.

Known issue ?

Searching the net and i may have found a fix for this, working atm so will try it in the morning.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1754903
    I have figured out a work-around for the auto pairing failure. I will give a step by step workaround how I did it. In my situation, I have a Mazda CX-5 and a Samsung Galaxy S3. But I am confident, that it will work with all Android 4.0.4 versions and other carkits, because the problem is most likely the same issue.

The reason why the phone won't auto pair, is because the phone does not give your carkit permission to download call history and other data. Even if you granted the phone this permission with the initial pairing.

If you have a carkit that supports multiple bluetooth profiles (multiple phones), like my Mazda CX-5 does, then you can also have your phonebook downloaded to your car. If your carkit supports multiple profiles, start with step 1. If yours doesn't, start with step 7. This guide is specifically for the Mazda CX-5, so some steps may be (slightly) different for your car model or make.

Here is the step by step guide:

1. Make sure you have no existing bluetooth pairs. Clear all pairs in your carkit and your phone.

2. Pair the phone with your carkit. You can see the randomly generated code on your phone and on the car display. Press ok to pair. (other carkits may need you to input "0000" or "1234", or maybe you have to input a code yourself)

3. Your phone will ask 2 questions about permissions. Check the box and allow. The phone will start to sync.

4. You carkit is done with syncing and it will ask you if you want to download your phonebook. Do this.

5. When its done copying, clear the Bluetooth pair on your phone (not on the Carkit!)

6. Give your phone a different Bluetooth name

7. In your carkit choose to pair a new phone (with the new name you just entered).

8. When the phone asks for permission for the carkit, check the box and choose cancel. Do this for both questions.

You don't have to copy your phonebook again (you can't anyway because you denied permission), but the phonebook that was downloaded earlier will still be available. Now the phone will pair automatically! With this trick you have your phonebook and automatic pairing.

I haven't seen what this does for media-audio streaming. I don't use that, but I can image that it doesn't work, because of the denied permissions.

There is another downside to this though (there always is, isn't it?). You cannot update your phonebook easily. If you want to update your phonebook, repeat the whole procedure.

I hope this will work for other people with different phones and cars too. At least this is a workaround until Google/Samsung comes with a fix. Please let us know if this works in your situation. To keep things structured, please use this format

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Very strange.
    On my Nokia CK-15W, all I did, was follow steps 2 -> 4. And it works without a problem. Not only does it work, but I also have 3 other phones paired to this same car kit (wife's; son's and my spare phone).

Maybe it has something to do with the actual type of car kit?
    Searching the net and i may have found a fix for this, working atm so will try it in the morning.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1754903

Advertisement