Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The John Murray Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

withless wrote: »
    Robert Ballagh was on this morning. I kept listening because he was able to talk shijhte and spout embarrassing opinions with such passion and old fashioned worldly knowledge.
    I switched off for the same reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I heard that segment, right after the call to that poor woman who had everything but the kitchen sink taken from her (including her parents' ashes), then this eejit who leaves 10 grand *in cash* lying around his house and doesn't put his alarm on because he was "only going out for an hour". I feel sorry for your wan, but have zero sympathy for the artsy farty space cadet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Bobby Ballagh, some man of contradictions... He tells us that he is devoting every hour that he has left in his life to learn a 500 year old technique of painting, yet he has an hour to come in to RTE to bitch and moan about the technologies that he doesnt even use...?

He got paid in 10k cash for a job he did (as opposed to getting it securley wired to his bank account), didnt set his house alarm with the 10k cash sitting on the table in the kitchen, has no mobile phone to be contacted by the Gardaí in the unlikely event that they track down the robbers..... I mean at some stage John Murray should have just said to him that if he had taken advantage of the modern technologies, then he wouldnt have lost his ten grand...

He got paid in 10k cash for a job he did (as opposed to getting it securley wired to his bank account)
    Who goes to a bank these days, withdraws 10,000 EUR in cash, and gives it to someone else, who'll also be charged by their bank for handling it, instead of, as you say, getting it wired, or even using an old-fashioned cheque?!

Something dodgy about that, IMO. For starters, withdrawing 10,000 in cash would set an alert off in the bank in the first place.

Unless of course, it was the likes of someone who "happened" to have 10,000 lying around the place ... ;)

serfboard wrote: »
    Something dodgy about that, IMO. For starters, withdrawing 10,000 in cash would set an alert off in the bank in the first place.

Well I was thinking initially that "Bobby" may have had the unfortunate unforseen consequence of having the Revenue visit him for their 23.5% VAT of the 10k, but I'm sure he's probably exempt, being an Artísté..
    Who goes to a bank these days, withdraws 10,000 EUR in cash, and gives it to someone else, who'll also be charged by their bank for handling it, instead of, as you say, getting it wired, or even using an old-fashioned cheque?!

I'm sure Robert Ballagh asked to be paid in salt, not trusting those new fangled cheque things...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

I liked the bit too where he was talking about being at a party and someone 'has their phone set on vibrations or whatever the term is I don't know and they take it out of their pocket and go off and leave me standing there'.

I think we would all play that card if we got stuck in a corner with Bobby 'somebody give the man a holiday' Ballagh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

Bobby Ballagh, some man of contradictions... He tells us that he is devoting every hour that he has left in his life to learn a 500 year old technique of painting, yet he has an hour to come in to RTE to bitch and moan about the technologies that he doesnt even use...?

He got paid in 10k cash for a job he did (as opposed to getting it securley wired to his bank account), didnt set his house alarm with the 10k cash sitting on the table in the kitchen, has no mobile phone to be contacted by the Gardaí in the unlikely event that they track down the robbers..... I mean at some stage John Murray should have just said to him that if he had taken advantage of the modern technologies, then he wouldnt have lost his ten grand...

Amazing man, full of contradictions,cannot understand his mindset.

Full of anomalies and difficult to sort out.

Cannot sort the guy into any normal set of criteria.

Got me beat!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Amazing man, full of contradictions,cannot understand his mindset.

Full of anomalies and difficult to sort out.

Cannot sort the guy into any normal set of criteria.

Got me beat!!

I've put him into the "Grumpy Old Man" category.

I've put him into the "Grumpy Old Man" category.

I would agree with that.

Now all we have to figure out is 'why' he fits in so well to that category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

More outrageous advice from psychoanalyst newsreader Micheal Murphy this morning. In discussing the dangers of "reckless disclosure" he gives the example of the married guy getting pissed at the office xmas party, snogging the secretary in the corner and waking up consumed with guilt. MM advice - whatever you say, say nothing; watch the drinking and consider not going to next year's xmas party!

I'll say this - his views wouldnt be well received over on the personal issues forum.

• Advertisement

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    More outrageous advice from psychoanalyst newsreader Micheal Murphy this morning.

Oh good I missed this... gonna podcast it now... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

wtf. this whiny aul one was on joe duffy last week telling the exact same tale about the train. build a bridge missus and get the hell over it.

I still find it amazing that RTE allow Michael Murphy bring his own brand of psychoanalysis claptrap on to the national airwaves, especially given that he is a newsreader... I was listening to him reading the news about Lance Armstrong's confession, having been on with John Murray the previous day giving commentary on the subject...

I was half expecting him to say .. "Lance Armstrong last night admitted to doping during all of his seven tour de france wins. His family should not invite him for Christmas dinner next year, he will just upset everybody. Life is too short and if he's gonna be coming around upsetting everybody then dont invite him".

So busy that she has the time to take a call from John Murray at 9.50am.. Who's minding the children!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I still find it amazing that RTE allow Michael Murphy bring his own brand of psychoanalysis claptrap on to the national airwaves, especially given that he is a newsreader... I was listening to him reading the news about Lance Armstrong's confession, having been on with John Murray the previous day giving commentary on the subject...

I was half expecting him to say .. "Lance Armstrong last night admitted to doping during all of his seven tour de france wins. His family should not invite him for Christmas dinner next year, he will just upset everybody. Life is too short and if he's gonna be coming around upsetting everybody then dont invite him".

His (MMs) take on things is so random. He was on last week about when young kids see their parents arguing they think it is about them and they are to blame and feel guilt. Then, in adulthood, they realise "it was probably just about sex":confused::confused:

And John Murray just leaves that sort of statement hanging in the air.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Today they were compiling a book of rude people. For some reason they didn't read out my suggestion that Michael Murphy be added to the list.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Then, in adulthood, they realise "it was probably just about sex":confused::confused:

lol.. I forgot about that.. I was listening to the radio and I said to myself "did he really just say that???".. Of all the arbitrary reasons for an argument that he could have picked, what a choice!!!

lol.. I forgot about that.. I was listening to the radio and I said to myself "did he really just say that???".. Of all the arbitrary reasons for an argument that he could have picked, what a choice!!!

AND

Listen out for the emphasis from Dubbalin John on this little word.

AND Good morning to you Cathal.

Check it out between 0905 and 0909.

I am not wrong:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Dear sweet Peig Sayers what is this awful dirge? Somebody storm the studio and take out John Spillane pleeeeeeeeeeease. (who told that child he could sing??)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Dear sweet Peig Sayers what is this awful dirge? Somebody storm the studio and take out John Spillane pleeeeeeeeeeease. (who told that child he could sing??)
    I liked it!

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me how The John Murray show has so many listeners as per the JNLR figures?

Is it the backwash from MI and too lazy to switch before Kenny?

Is it the time slot?

Be interested in views as in my opinion it has almost no redeeming features.

Can anyone shed some light on it.

Can anyone tell me how The John Murray show has so many listeners as per the JNLR figures?

I find it baffling too.. I can only assume that it's a matter of habit for people to leave the radio on the same channel and wait for Pat Kenny. I mean it's not like Tubridy would convince you to change channels between 9 and 10 anyway.. John Murray is catching the drift of the shows either side of him..

Can anyone tell me how The John Murray show has so many listeners as per the JNLR figures? ...
    Not everybody is as enlightened as the participants in this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Is it the time slot?

Its purely loyalty to radio 1, simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Is it the time slot?

i know in my parents house Radio 1 is left on- when it comes to Murray show is time the dogs are brought for a walk, donkeys and ducks fed etc. before being back in to listen to Pat Kenny

Murray just has a cosy timeslot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,980 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How do you get a job working 1hr per day?

Anyone know how much Murray is paid by RTE for such hard work?

NIMAN wrote: »
    How do you get a job working 1hr per day?

Anyone know how much Murray is paid by RTE for such hard work?

In fairness it's one hour airtime.

In fairness ...
    Fairness? Here?

Neil Delamere on for the week, the difference.

Natural,not forced ,much more relaxed and unclenched.

No roaring and shouting like into a loudhailer at the per 0900 news clip.

:confused: Cannot understand why this is not apparent in Montrose.

• Advertisement

Neil Delamere on for the week, the difference.

Natural,not forced ,much more relaxed and unclenched.

No roaring and shouting like into a loudhailer at the per 0900 news clip.

:confused: Cannot understand why this is not apparent in Montrose.
    I think that the programme does not get the best out of John Murray - I thought his Saturday business programme was very good, and suited him perfectly.

But I really think that Neal Delamere is no improvement. He sounds uninterested and uninteresting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I thought his Saturday business programme was very good, and suited him perfectly.

Absolutely agree, he's much more suited to serious material, just as PK is much better on The Frontline/Prime Time than he was on the Late Late.

Yakuza wrote: »
    Absolutely agree, he's much more suited to serious material...
    Yes. And that is because he does not take it entirely seriously. He showed a capacity to expose pomposity for what it was, and signalled that the average person need not be intimidated by the language of business and finance.

[I use the phrase "average person" because Joe Higgins has rendered the term "ordinary people" unusable.]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭doughef

Neil Delamare is a disgrace.

Did you hear him this morning with the farmer who had agreed to raffle off a bull for his daughters school?

The farmer seemed like a very decent guy doing a very decent thing for the school, while all Delamare wanted to do was indirectly take the piss out of him as if him and 'his' listeners were all in on some joke at the expense of this guy and others who had donated practical but very generous prizes to help out

He referred to the 'duties' :D the bull will have to attend to like a 5 year old and even the farmer had to remind him that it was a family programme.

Neil Delamare is a moron

I think that the programme does not get the best out of John Murray - I thought his Saturday business programme was very good, and suited him perfectly.

I've always said this.. John was good at the business stuff and he was good when he filled in for Finucane. But he is awful at this... The show should just be shut down and start again from scratch..

doughef wrote: »
    Neil Delamare is a disgrace.

Did you hear him this morning with the farmer who had agreed to raffle off a bull for his daughters school?

The farmer seemed like a very decent guy doing a very decent thing for the school, while all Delamare wanted to do was indirectly take the piss out of him as if him and 'his' listeners were all in on some joke at the expense of this guy and others who had donated practical but very generous prizes to help out

He referred to the 'duties' :D the bull will have to attend to like a 5 year old and even the farmer had to remind him that it was a family programme.

Neil Delamare is a moron
    I heard this item and Neil quite naturally as a comedian went for the comedy angle in this story.

And winning a bull in a raffle couldn't be treated that seriously, even if the reason for the raffle was saving a school which is underfunded as a result of cutbacks.

Actually, the farmer was well able for him and managed to:
    • plug the raffle
    • plug the school
    • plug his own business (rearing bulls)
    • send Valentine's greetings to his wife and daughter
    I reckon this farmer could teach PR agencies a thing or two!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭doughef

I heard this item and Neil quite naturally as a comedian went for the comedy angle in this story.

And winning a bull in a raffle couldn't be treated that seriously, even if the reason for the raffle was saving a school which is underfunded as a result of cutbacks.

• plug the raffle
    • plug the school

Yes.. I agree the farmer was a bit of an oul legend. I seen him on the news too, lovely guy.. lovely family..
    I still think Delamare is a moron though..a silly silly person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

• plug the raffle
    • plug the school

Neil Delamere is a comedian??? :confused:

But I really think that Neal Delamere is no improvement. He sounds uninterested and uninteresting.

Any reason why Delamare, one of the country's best known comedians, is firing off the same unfunny one liners to begin the show as Murray uses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Any reason why Delamare, one of the country's best known comedians, is firing off the same unfunny one liners to begin the show as Murray uses?
    Maybe he writes Murray's "gags" too.

Well, I never rated Delamere as a comedian!

I think it actually shows us that it is quite difficult to write that kind of gag. The programme would be better if they stopped trying to.

• Advertisement

Well, I never rated Delamere as a comedian!

I think it actually shows us that it is quite difficult to write that kind of gag. The programme would be better if they stopped trying to.

Absolutely Pee, there is almost unanimous condemnation of that tried and failed format from the posts I read here.

Surely someone in RTE reads this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Delamere hosting a radio 1 programme,and so continues Montrose's obsession with using 'tv personalities' to front radio shows. When are they going to cop on that a tv presenter doesnt a radio presenter make, and a comedian certainly doesnt translate into a quality radio presenter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

heybaby wrote: »
    Delamere hosting a radio 1 programme,and so continues Montrose's obsession with using 'tv personalities' to front radio shows. When are they going to cop on that a tv presenter doesnt a radio presenter make, and a comedian certainly doesnt translate into a quality radio presenter.

I wouldnt rate Delamare as a comedian,to me he always sounds like the smartass at the back of the class trying to be funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

shockwave wrote: »
    I wouldnt rate Delamare as a comedian,to me he always sounds like the smartass at the back of the class trying to be funny.
    +1.

A smart Alec does not a comedian make.

John Murray back this morning,same old forced humour,big breath intakes,battering outtheeb..click..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

John Murray back this morning,same old forced humour,big breath intakes,battering outtheeb..click..........

I remember Liam Fay in the Sunday Times once commenting that Daithi O'Shea was "jokey without being funny" but it's a description that fits Murray to a tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

I got a chuckle the other morning when John Murray show ended after the mindlessness psychobabble feature (sorry mindfulness) complete with meditative voice overs ... only to be followed directly by an advert saying "There are many ways to pay your TV license and one of them is not through meditation"...

oh.. the irony :)

I see that John Murray had a rake of comedians in studio today. It still made the show no funnier than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Car wouldn't have mattered love. The fact she was 23 would be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I see that John Murray had a rake of comedians in studio today. It still made the show no funnier than usual.

Let's face it, he was talking to Kevin Gildea, PJ Gallagher and Adrian Maxwell. I've had toothache that's been funnier than those three.

• Advertisement
Advertisement