Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throwers and throws coaching

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Good man, a rare breed in these parts. Which club? Who coaches you?

Ah now cant be givin away my identity after talking big....training with Bart in Santry. I only took back into it last year after about 10 years away from athletics but did alright. Was fairly unfit last year coz I strained the adductor muscles playing tag rugby of all things.
    longjump67 wrote: »
    Which Crawford? Damien or Aaron.

Aaron. Will be aiming to get well into the 60's this year

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭longjump67

Know Damien well, have a daughter training with him at the moment. She really has come on well only 12 mind but Damien reckons she will throw 30m+ this year.:D

Good luck with training and give my best to Bart, tell him the EDM man says hello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

training with Bart in Santry.

No better man than Bart. Good luck for the season. 60s would be good.

Any good info or diagrams of teaching the hammer to youngters? 3 or 4 young ones at the club want to try but I have no experience in coaching hammer. Would help if I knew the basics.

Any good info or diagrams of teaching the hammer to youngters? 3 or 4 young ones at the club want to try but I have no experience in coaching hammer. Would help if I knew the basics.

Hammer's brilliant and the youngsters love it, given the opportunity.

Here's a link to a basic techniques page. I don't bother with a glove for beginners, but make sure the grip is correct i.e. left hand on the handle for a right handed thrower.

You'll find a standing throw (no turns) and one turn plenty to begin with. More than one turn and you're getting pretty technical.

Here's a good video clip - there are many more!

• Advertisement

Just had a look at the video clip and info on Brianmc, just what I need. Thanks very much RoyMcC.

Former World Junior Champ David Paker is coming to Northern Ireland on the 29th of Jan for a workshop anyone interested see details below on the link

http://www.athleticsni.org/News/David-Parker~-Javelin-Worksop

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Best of luck.
    Some good resources on hammerthrow.org and in particular here

Best of luck.
    Some good resources on hammerthrow.org and in particular here

Just what I need, Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭FuzzyFrog

South side Dublin athlete with genuine interest in discus, shot, javelin and looking for any throws groups to help improve in these events. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

FuzzyFrog wrote: »
    South side Dublin athlete with genuine interest in discus, shot, javelin and looking for any throws groups to help improve in these events. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Thanks

Top throws coach David Sweeney used to be with Greystones AC but he's moved onto higher things. Worth giving them a call though - Ryan Montgomery 0871712241.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Top throws coach David Sweeney used to be with Greystones AC but he's moved onto higher things. Worth giving them a call though - Ryan Montgomery 0871712241.

Ryan is no longer in the jurisdiction. Maybe Bart Rogers in Santry for javelin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

Thanks

I think your best bet could be to film yourself throwing then post the film online and request pointers / advice on your technique.

This thread could be a very useful resource for throwers if it went down this route. It would become obvious who is worth listening to quickly enough.

Bruce7 wrote: »
    I think your best bet could be to film yourself throwing then post the film online and request pointers / advice on your technique.

This thread could be a very useful resource for throwers if it went down this route. It would become obvious who is worth listening to quickly enough.

Novel idea Bruce! I dread to think of the varied advice that would ensue though. No substitute for a proper coach, though they seem thin on the ground.

In further response to FuzzyFrog I'm sure Dave Sweeney (now Nat Throws Co-Ordinator at AAI) would point you in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

Novel idea Bruce! I dread to think of the varied advice that would ensue though. No substitute for a proper coach, though they seem thin on the ground.

In further response to FuzzyFrog I'm sure Dave Sweeney (now Nat Throws Co-Ordinator at AAI) would point you in the right direction.

It's not so novel actually. Take a look at deepthrows or the ring, where it is common for people to post video and get online critiques.

e.g. http://www.deepthrows.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=666

Edit: Or the fitness forum here on boards, where people video their lifts in the gym and get advice on technique from other posters.

As you say, the quality of the contributions varies, but it quickly becomes obvious who is worth listening to.

If we began something similar here, it might at least bring a few people out of the woodwork who can give a few quick pointers to work on, but due to time or other factors, can't commit to coaching somebody.

Most beginners are going to have the same flaws which will be obvious enough to spot, in any case.

Ryan is no longer in the jurisdiction. Maybe Bart Rogers in Santry for javelin.

Thanks, I wonder is it alright for a newcomer to join this session or do you have to be at the top end ability wise.

Cheers Roy, will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Thanks, I wonder is it alright for a newcomer to join this session or do you have to be at the top end ability wise.

I can't speak for Bart. Contact him (his details are on AAI website as he is a RDO) and find out. I reckon he would be amenable enough to anyone with a genuine interest, no matter what the level they are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭notsofast

Calling all hammer/discus throwers
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=23663

Irish Junior Hammer record for Dempsey Mc Guigan (Finn Valley) in his firts comp of the year, 69.68m 23cm shy of the World junior Q mark. Surely he will throw over 70m in the coming weeks/ months.
    Cara Kenndey threw 56m + yesterday in Cork.

• Advertisement

Excellent. I see young McGuigan throws for Shaftsbury Barnet. Our (Jersey Spartan's) top throwers Zane & Shadine Duquemin are also first claim at SB now.

Looking forward to seeing how the young Irish throwers progress this year.

LJ where was that throws competition?

Not sure meant to ask him last night but forgot, his younger brother Fellan also had a pb of 64.67m with the 5kg think he is targeting 68m+ this year so some great throwing to look forward to this year.

My daughter won her first hammer comp last Monday with a modest 22.34m with a 2.5kg no turns as yet.

Excellent throwing by Dempsey McG. thats inside the 'b' standard, so while hopefully he will find the extra cm's if he can throw 67m+ a couple of more times he should get the nod.

What other throwers could get to World Junior?
    McCabe should be close also in the hammer,
    Pons should get there in the discus, I think he may have got the a standard last year, but that would be outside the qualifying window.
    Martin or Oosthuysen, in the javelin maybe.

Can't see anyone else coming close in either men or women

Just been talking to Dempsey and the meet was the Lee Valley open, official results not up on power of 10 yet.

Excellent throwing by Dempsey McG. thats inside the 'b' standard, so while hopefully he will find the extra cm's if he can throw 67m+ a couple of more times he should get the nod.

What other throwers could get to World Junior?
    McCabe should be close also in the hammer,
    Pons should get there in the discus, I think he may have got the a standard last year, but that would be outside the qualifying window.
    Martin or Oosthuysen, in the javelin maybe.

Can't see anyone else coming close in either men or women

Think that Dempsey is aiming for 72m+ this year.
    Mc Cabe threw 62.55m yesterday but not sure if that was 6kg or 7.26kg.

that was the 6kg.
    results on leevale site don't indicate it, but there was a junior and senior hammer, so McCabe was one of the 3 throwers throwing the 6kg.
    he threw 66m at the end of last season and 59m with the 7.26 in the nat senior's so he's capable of getting close to the standard...
    72m....phew..national junior mens hammer going to be interesting event again this year so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Is that 51.22m a new PB for Claire Fitzgerald in the discus at Intervarsities yesterday?

Rineanna wrote: »
    Is that 51.22m a new PB for Claire Fitzgerald in the discus at Intervarsities yesterday?

It would appear so.I see she's a member of WSEH in London these days.

My daughter got her first Javelin comp of the year last night and a new pb of 26.88m :D with the 400g, target for the year is 30m so everything looks to be going inthe right direction.

Will only get maybe 4 or 5 competitions this year unless we go overseas for more, thats the problem with javelin/discus/hammer comps not usually on many open meets has to wait till the championships to get competitions.

• Advertisement

My daughter got her first Javelin comp of the year last night and a new pb of 26.88m :D with the 400g, target for the year is 30m so everything looks to be going inthe right direction.

Will only get maybe 4 or 5 competitions this year unless we go overseas for more, thats the problem with javelin/discus/hammer comps not usually on many open meets has to wait till the championships to get competitions.

Nice one. I fondly remember my daughter representing Hampshire at U13 level and getting third with a PB 25.00m :)

I wouldn't be too concerned with the lack of competition - just keep her training and working at her other events as well, including her running. She ought to be getting a crack at the nationals with high 20s.

I don't know if things are changing but (in 2008/2009) the Leinster Champs were packed with youngsters 'having a go' at the throws. Very few had a clue. A few basic lessons and the novice Crusader kids were sweeping the podium! Things can only be improving as regards throws coaching/participation, in the Pale anyway.

Advertisement