Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

BL1993 wrote: »
    162 - gutted

Hard luck man, you had the grades for it.

Anyone getting a recheck? Not sure if it's worth 80 euro or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

HCCCM wrote: »
    What do u think the points will go up to for med?

really hard to say.. if scores are slightly lower or about the same as last year, we can only pray it has negligible effect.. In reality though it will probably bring the points up at least 5, with more people in contention and in the 550+ range

congrats to everyone, and commiserations to those who didn't get the result they were hoping for.

At least you know where you are.. with 737 overall I won't know where I stand until the cao offers!

2011 - 174 (73rd percentile) s1: 52 s2:58 s3:64
    2012 - 192 (92nd percentile) s1:65 s2.50 s3:76

I would advocate doing prep, it worked for me.. but you really need to put in the hard graft and treat the hpat like an extra subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

73rd percentile and 173 points....

Bye bye medecine 2012 :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

Heavy losses since last year. Down from 208 to 189. Score 3 was the only one to move up by 1 point while score 2 dropped 20 points! I was much more lacadsical about everything this year though..Anyone know what percentile 208 is this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

out of curiosity what did people get in section 3?? coz i was certain i got most right:confused:

Only 53, by far my worst section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

eia340600 wrote: »
    Heavy losses since last year. Down from 208 to 189. Score 3 was the only one to move up by 1 point while score 2 dropped 20 points! I was much more lacadsical about everything this year though..Anyone know what percentile 208 is this year?

im down 10 207 is 97th so 97/98

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

jenny18 wrote: »
    last year 64 60 56
    this year 56 56 57 why?

What percentile are you in?

im down 10 207 is 97th so 97/98

Thanks so same as last year - 98.. Did you do prep courses? I never have but such a severe drop suggests that maybe they're working??

What percentile are you in?

this year 67th but if i use last years i might be 80th no1 has said 179 yet

eia340600 wrote: »
    Thanks so same as last year - 98.. Did you do prep courses? I never have but such a severe drop suggests that maybe they're working??

i did m-e this year not last

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ashh

Hey guys,

What percentile would you say you'd need to get medicine in Dublin? Torturing myself trying to work it out...:P

i did m-e this year not last
    In that case maybe not...This year is just too intelligent for us repeaters...

ashh wrote: »
    Hey guys,

What percentile would you say you'd need to get medicine in Dublin? Torturing myself trying to work it out...:P

Most colleges have said about 180 at their open days so that's about 85th??

Hey guys,

well, 732 for rcsi last year, 735 for ucd, 739+ for tcd. so, if you want to be in the safe zone this year you would want to have 745+.. anything over 740 should be enough for rcsi/ucd... only time will tell.

Hey guys,

trinity with 600 points need about 10 points over 80th percentile generally this is very ruff guide but for say rcsi need about 80th-84th percentile with 600 points.
    this is going by last 2 years, i have no idea what might happen this year

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Went down so much from last year. Absolutely devastated. :'(
    Do these results mean I'm not capable of med, that I'm not intelligent enough, that I'm a failure? :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 17 CM182

Is there any hope for me if I got 178 (80th percentile)?

Ugghhhh this sucks so badly :( congrats everyone who did well

don't let this defeat you ladies and gents, just concentrate on getting the best leaving cert you can get and it will give you options in the future, allowing and easy hpat repeat next year or imagine they drop the hpat in the next few years you'll be sorted

if medicine is really what you want you will get there eventually.. I am 27 yrs of age and not giving up as of yet! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brownstone

Looks like ill be doing this again next year....absolutely gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Hey I just want to give a message to anyone who is down or upset about their HPAT scores.

I originally did my Leaving Cert and the HPAT in 2010. Didn't do a lot of work, was unfocused. I knew I wanted Medicine but I was lazy to be perfectly honest. Didn't reach my potential in either exam and ended up with 525 in the LC and 152 in the HPAT.

Decided to repeat in 2011. This time I was determined. I had a rigid study schedule of about 5-6 hours every weekday after school from the start of September and from 10 to about 4 on Saturdays. (With breaks before you freak out). I was way more determined and hungry to get Med. Ended up scoring 575 (555 adjusted) in the Leaving and 170 in the HPAT. I had all the 5 med courses on my cao. Missed out by four points in NUIG come August. I was absolutely gutted after all the work I had done all year to be coming away empty handed again.

I ended up going with my second choice, doing Theoretical Physics in Trinity. Decided to repeat the HPAT again this year. (What did I have to lose?) Just got my scores back now - 192, 92nd percentile. So it looks like I'll finally get Med somewhere next year. :o

Anyway the point of my story is that I know how crap and upsetting it feels. I've been through it twice. But every time I repeated the HPAT I went up by 20 points. It is more than possible with prep. The courses I did were Med Entry the first time, Career Services the second time and Med Entry again the third time.

So chin up. It seems like the end of the world now but there are a whole host of options. Personally I think if you have enough Leaving Cert points but fell short on the HPAT, a year in college really puts a different perspective on things. It was certainly a huge help to my overall mindset this year. Who knows where any of us will be in a year's time. This is only the beginning. Best of luck in your exams. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    Do these results mean I'm not capable of med, that I'm not intelligent enough, that I'm a failure? :'(

Absolutely not! It's a bit of a silly aptitude test in which your results can fluctuate! Chin up!

My score is just so horribly plain.. Like I might just scrape in with a LC but ugggggghhhhhh my dreams are over (for now at least)

So... Second choices everyone?

CM182 wrote: »
    Is there any hope for me if I got 178 (80th percentile)?

yes going by last years you need 550-555 for galway 625 for trininty mayby but prob get rcsi or nuig if you get 575 in leaving. 80th is what you need min so your fine

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Absolutely not! It's a bit of a silly aptitude test in which your results can fluctuate! Chin up!

But I went down so much from last year. I feel so sick. I disappointed myself, my parents. Don't know what to do anymore. But thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patar

Ah now that I have no chance of getting med, I haven't a clue about what else to do ;D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 CM182

My score is just so horribly plain.. Like I might just scrape in with a LC but ugggggghhhhhh my dreams are over (for now at least)

So... Second choices everyone?

That's how I feel too :/ What did you get?

I have no second choice as of yet!

I don't want to do anything else :'(

• Advertisement

But I went down so much from last year. I feel so sick. I disappointed myself, my parents. Don't know what to do anymore. But thanks.

relax, do a 3 year eg law degree get second or first class honours, do gmat re-apply do 4 year grad entry that's only 1 extra year.

Advertisement