Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

OK Curran, Carpro advice.

Options
  • 03-04-2015 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭

New car coming in August.
    White
    Almost white leather interior.
    Alloys
    I am thinking of total Carpro treatment.

Everything will be done by hand.

Walk /talk me through what I will need and application instructions.

Yes, You can pretend I am a newbie :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

fast-four-3.jpg

:P I'll do you up a reply when I get to a keybkeyboard! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Curran wrote: »
    :P I'll do you up a reply when I get to a keybkeyboard! ;)

A spell-checker would be handy too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfL2mMKR6kgYuAqev_CQbdKxxGqicr5rUnw_hUaIz4DY7YWisyOg

Total CarPro Treatment?? Everything? Paint, Wheels, Trim, Glass, Leather, Tyres and Engine plastics?? :P

Paint
    You know the ins and outs of requesting the car not to be touched by the garage on delivery, etc
    You dont need the full run down on how to prepare the paintwork....Wash, De-Iron, Rinse, Clay, Wash, Dry....there should obviously be no tar, or a need to polish.

So after the surface has been prep'd you'll need to do a wipedown to ensure the best possible bond of the coating; CarPro's Eraser is the wipedown in the range, but you know yourself what can be used in place....the coating comes with some, so perhaps one wipedown with something and a 2nd with Eraser to ensure 100% coverage.
    CarPro CQUK is quite easy to apply, you know yourself, not to drown the applicator (or suede cloth in this case), and ensure even coverage
    This will visualise the application for you! As you can see, curing time is short, but may be a bit longer depending on the weather.

Wheels & Trim
    Good news, CarPro DLUX is a dual product; so can be used on Wheels and Trim; though I doubt there is much, if any that needs coating...the roof bars if you are getting the estate??
    Essentially the prep is the same - good good clean (IronX the wheels), rinse, dry, Eraser wipedown and apply.

Glass
    Dont know if its something you considered? Or even like on your glass, but there are two options in the CarPro range
    Flyby Forte - the more durable of the two options, but beading happens at slightly higher speeds
    Flyby 30 - still a durable choice, but beading happens at 30+mph

As ever, the prep is the key!
    Before starting – empty your washer bottle, refill with just water and empty again….then fill with just water; should be sufficient to keep the glass clean.
    Give the wipers a wipe down with Eraser also, if you’ve some left over at the end, use the damp applicator, to give the wiper blades (when dry) a light rub also, this will help.

See how, once the coating is applied, it doesn’t take much time to cure….it needs to set slightly and then buffed off, to ensure that any high spots during application are levelled by the buffing and this cant happen if the coating has hardened.
    Therefore, if you are applying it to all the windows, it makes sense, to do as much prep as possible at the one time….but the coating needs to be done in sections, as you couldn’t apply it to all the windows in time to go back to the first window to buff it, so applying the coating needs to be done, one window at a time and half and half when on the windscreen or rear window…..however, the prep work can all be done at one time – wash all the windows, polish them, wash them, Eraser wipe down….then apply a window at a time.

The product dries hard, and crystalizes, so any applicators or buffing cloths should be binned if the product dries – just in case you planned to keep them for paintwork – it would scratch it!

Leather
    Dont have the Cquartz Leather & Vinyl Coat, but can have it in before August. Dr. Leather Dye Block is a simialr product.

With lighter colour leathers, the colour transfer from jeans etc, is the biggest problem. While a coating like these will help limit that slightly, the benefit of having them applied is seen when trying to clean the seats, rather than preventing it. With Dr. Leather Dye Block, the coating is unaffected by their cleaner product, which makes keeping the seats fresh an easy job.

Tyres
    And engine bay plastics etc. CarPro PERL is the job; can be used neat for when its needed to be durable, or diluted slightly for engine bay plastics, or further again for interior, etc, if thats your thing....application is the same as any other products you have used.

Maintenance
    As with any of the durable coating type products, its always best to use the correct maintenance products - like specific shampoos and quick detailers, etc.
    Traditional shampoos can clog the molecular links in the coating, and while it wont attack the coating, it will prevent the usual performance, of appearance and beading. And similar applies for any of the quick detailer / booster type products - choosing the wrong one here, may affect the coating, or have similar clogging effects.
    So Reset Shampoo and Reload Spray Sealant are what you want here. Reload cant be used as a stand alone product also, and is very durable. It contains fillers (not that you'll need them), enhances shine and is good for about 4-6 months.

Prep - IronX and Eraser; thought you'll get small bottles of Eraser in kits, its handy to have more.
    Paint - CQUK, Reset & Reload
    Wheels & Trim - DLUX
    Tyres - PERL
    Glass - Flyby Forte or Flyby 30
    Leather - Dr. Leather Dye Block and Cleaner or CarPro Leather & Vinyl Coat

Hope this helps, and any other questions, fire ahead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Excellent.
    That CQUK & Dlux looks a lot easier to apply that the Wolfs stuff.
    I am assuming all of these can be used outdoors as no indoor place is available to me.

Thanks for that, it give me lots to think about and consider to compile a fresh order shortly before the car arrives. :)

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    I am assuming all of these can be used outdoors as no indoor place is available to me

Yes, within reason, of course!
    You'll want to try get the best day possible, you know yourself - dry and not just for the application, but for the period of the curing time post buffing / between coats, also. Needs at least an hour after buffing before it can get wet, and ideally 24 hours, so if it does get wet, best to dry it after a rain shower. Another thing is, not to wash it for 7 days post application. As little wind (for dust) as possible, but given the quick curing time between application and buff, its not a massive issue. And a bit of warmth wouldnt do any harm, though you could be waiting for that day!

CQUK is specifically designed for the type of climate we have, or the UK have. It is designed for the a quicker time between application and buffing than the regular Cquartz....as the climate here/UK is usually more colder, it can be applied from 3 Degrees Celsius upwards; most similar coatings prefer 15-20 upwards.

Well that might suit me fine as August temps. are NORMALLY pretty good.
    The showers can be a bit dodgy though.

OK.
    Back on this.
    Car is just over 2 weeks away.
    Looking at :::

IronX
    Eraser
    CQUK
    Reset....>>>>> I know you say same make products are best. But I have Bilt Hamber snow foam and Krystal Kleen cherry wash PH Neutral shampoo ( I got a gallon of this in a GB so sort of want to use it if ok ? )
    Reload
    Dlux
    Perl
    Flyby >>> Maybe.. I dont like the way wipers judder with screen sealants.. Does Flyby do this?

Interior
    I have bought a full kit of LTT products that a guy was selling so am ok for this

The Bilt Hamber Auto Foam I would say will be OK, as they don't add any unnecessary additives to their products, for example for smell, or appearance. Just what they need to do the job.

The Krystal Kleen Cherry Wash, I have no experience with. Dont think you'll run into too much issue using it on Reload. Does it have any gloss enhancing properties? As it's these kind of additives that will clog the nano links I'm the likes of CQUK.

Flyby is down to correct application. It's applied in opposite directions; horizontally and then vertically. But the key is to the correct cure time. Leave it too long and the coating cures slightly uneven and this risks leaving a surface in a state that might lead to judder. Watch their application video on YouTube and you will get a very good idea of what's required. The cure time is surprisingly short, and this can catch out a few people.

Well
    Ordered placed.
    Now to wait for the Passat and the good weather :P
    Thanks for the advice Curran.

• Advertisement

Forgot to ask ,

Dlux or CQUK on the shiney plastic trim on the Doors?

One or 2 coats of CQUK ans Dlux?

Have you a picture of what you mean?

I think I know the type of finish that you are questioning and want to be sure....if it's what I think it is, it falls between both, probably the CQUK would be better suited.

Have you a picture of what you mean?

I think I know the type of finish that you are questioning and want to be sure....if it's what I think it is, it falls between both, probably the CQUK would be better suited.

Between the windows.
    Shiny plastic shi7e

11828645_1040851702615458_7666316431234392306_n.jpg?oh=0ffd2ec20577ee4e2075af1aa218c929&oe=5652148B

Aye; CQUK would be the one to use!! ;)

Aye; CQUK would be the one to use!! ;)

Eraser first then cquk?
    Can I assume this would give some "anti Swirl" protection to it?

Yeah; anywhere you are applying CQUK or DLUX, it's best to ensure a good surface, by using Eraser! ;)

Well,
    To follow on from this thread I copied and pasted this part on prep and applictaion

Today looked ok but bit cloudy,
    Decided to chance it anyway. As I already had it prepped the other day I rinsed it down and gave it 2 wipedowns with Carpro Eraser

2015-08-30%2020.00.41_zpsk2q4w4vx.jpg

Gave it a coat of Carpro CQUK,
    What I would say it this product is Tedious but simple to use.
    Half bonnet,,, buff.. Other half ... Buff
    Half roof,,,, Buff and so on. You get the idea.

Once the full car was coated, I had lunch
    One hour between layers is recommended, I gave it almost 2 hours.
    Repeated the above process in the same order as the first coat.

Once finished I dressed the tyres and polished the windows. Had a few jobs to do around the house so took up another hour and 25 minutes

Then gave it a once over with Carpro Reload.

2015-08-30%2020.00.26_zpsdtjqpwae.jpg

Basically mist on, Spread with MF cloth and buff with another MF.

Both products are basically wipe on wipe off.
    Would I use them again?
    Most certainly yes.
    Playing the waiting game now to see the water behaviour.

Next and possibly the final stage will be the engine bay with Dlux. :)

2015-09-02%2016.14.33_zpsjdz26l31.jpg

2015-09-02%2016.15.02_zpsks0kc6fu.jpg

2015-09-02%2016.15.25_zpsovrnj9it.jpg

2015-09-02%2016.15.31_zpsrhusnfbz.jpg

2015-09-02%2016.15.43_zpszacjcmty.jpg

2015-09-02%2016.15.57_zpsjamcgcr8.jpg

2015-09-02%2016.16.17_zpskc8sn1bz.jpg

2015-09-02%2016.27.59_zpsrwrbgeok.jpg

Over a week later with plenty of dust having settled on it I went shopping today with my wife.
    100kms in horrible rain and spray,
    Could not see 4 cars in front of me.
    Came home and scratched my head wondering why the car was not dirty

So far I am very pleased with these products.

Bonnet still beading nicely and still not washed

2015-09-11%2017.30.41_zpsepkytrid.jpg

Roof unwashed

2015-09-11%2017.30.30_zpsytyhgkqf.jpg

2015-09-11%2017.30.22_zpseltefzkt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

I'd say you have had plenty water since to check for beading!! :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Any dirt after the water has dried in?

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Any dirt after the water has dried in?

Only on the tyres.

Normal dirt on wheels which will be washed off afterwards.
    This is what I am interested in seeing, just how easy it will be ( should be ) to wash.

So kind of you to be the guinea pig

Well,
    If anyone is following my steps, the one part I would strongly advise to change would be to use Carpro Perl on the tyres..!!!
    Total disaster.

Looked nice when done but after a trip yesterday in the rain they were brown. Looked like I was after doing a forestry stage. :D

Anyhow, Gave it a wash today.

This is how the tyres looked after the rain,

2015-09-12%2014.28.48_zpswyboqgoi.jpg

2015-09-12%2014.28.54_zpsllspqqdh.jpg

50 / 50 shot
    Nothing used only pressure water.

2015-09-12%2014.41.36_zpshhsb9jdm.jpg

2015-09-12%2014.41.27_zpsphke9bv7.jpg

2015-09-12%2014.41.43_zpsn1s6jita.jpg

2015-09-12%2014.41.46_zpsxvfuxlug.jpg

After foam with no scrubbing.
    Came up very well.

2015-09-12%2015.41.23_zpsxgb27tws.jpg

On to the paintwork
    Foamed
    Pressure washed off
    washed with Krystal Klean PH neutral shampoo

Beading and sheeting is awesome.

2015-09-12%2015.27.38_zpspgmrhwp4.jpg

2015-09-12%2015.27.47_zpsd0oe7aef.jpg

2015-09-12%2015.27.51_zpsryuki5gg.jpg

2015-09-12%2015.27.55_zpsw1kxnylj.jpg

2015-09-12%2014.27.37_zpsnaux6wcv.jpg

Fantastic on the wheels and bodywork

Mc Love wrote: »
    Fantastic on the wheels and bodywork

Liking the way it is working so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Why did the tyres go brown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

Some dogs took a piss on them.

Thats a very strange reaction on the tyres - I'll look into that! ;)

Looking very well otherwise! :)

Well.
    over a month has passed since I applied these products.
    So far I am more than happy at how clean the car and whleels stay, but I am more than happy at the ease of washing.

Had a trip to Swords and back last Sunday.

I thought the summer was the season of damned flies but my windscreen was in some state by the time we got home.
    I also couldn't believe the amount of them on the front bumper and mirrors.:eek:

So,
    Got lazy yesterday and allowed them to get baked on with the sun :p

Today i decided to test how good Cquk and Dlux are with just a snowfoam and pressure wash.

I did wash it after these pics and video as there were a few persistant soot spots from my neighbours chimney.

2015-10-13%2014.17.45_zpszlfkxqai.jpg

2015-10-13%2014.17.56_zpsjs9qn4da.jpg

2015-10-13%2014.17.59_zps5hvpffdk.jpg

2015-10-13%2014.18.18_zpsmb6oi3x0.jpg

2015-10-13%2014.18.24_zpsvywjpd9f.jpg

50 / 50 foamed and pressure rinsed

2015-10-13%2014.32.14_zps4aulrrr5.jpg

• Advertisement

You'd do anything for an easy life! :D

Advertisement