Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need an IRISH passport to buy alcohol??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

For all the poster who think it's fine to refuse a non-irish passport.
    I assume you're all ok with never being able to buy alcohol outside of the ROI.
    So no more drinking on your holidays now you hear! What you don't agree? Well if you don't have a Spanish, UK or whatever country your visiting local passport why would they be obliged to sell you alcohol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Theyre legally not obliged to sell you anything. Regardless of the ID you provide.
    If they dont want to sell you anything, they dont have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

seamus wrote: »
    It's a huge change obviously from what we're used to. Gone are the days when simply being able to recite your incorrect birth date would be accepted by an off licence.

You forgot to mention star signs. Back in the day those cheeky bouncers would know all the star signs and try and catch you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I don't know why that poster is going back to 1988 :confused:
    Picking and choosing to suit an argument?

You want info you go to the most recent one in 2003

Here is a nice, easy to read list :)

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section ‘age document’ means a document containing a photograph of the person in respect of whom it was issued and information that enables the age of the person to be determined and being one of the following documents relating to a person referred to in that subsection:

(a) an age card referred to in section 40 of this Act,

(b) a passport,

(c) an identity card issued by a member state of the European Communities,

(d) a driver licence, or

(e) a document issued by a body, and in a form, prescribed by regulations made by the Minister.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2003/en/act/pub/0031/print.html#sec15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Wonder what the EU would say about an Irish law/rule to only accept an Irish passport as a valid ID and not one of the other EU member states. I think there's some EU law that does not allow it...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    you clealry have a bone to pick, as no where in my post did i say or even imply that i was offended. and your average person has no idea how to verify a passport from any country, unless they've done some research

Another poster claimed that it was discrimination.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

This wasn't Dunnes in St.Stephen's Green,was it?

I went through some crap there trying to get drink a while back, and so have some of my friends.
    I went in there about two years ago with two friends who were buying drink before a gig, I wasnt drinking or even going to the gig. I got asked for a form of i.d. for some reason:confused:

I wouldnt mind much, but I was a few years older than my friends, who were a few years over the legal age!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

I went in there about two years ago with two friends who were buying drink before a gig, I wasnt drinking or even going to the gig. I got asked for a form of i.d. for some reason:confused:

I wouldnt mind much, but I was a few years older than my friends, who were a few years over the legal age!

Yeah,same kinda sitch with me..! I wasn't buying drink just went in with my 2 friends, and only 1 of them was buying drink! She didn't get served because I didn't have I.D! Was really irritating,and as embarassing as it is now, we called consumer association and got info and went back in and ended up getting her naggin :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I use Tesco online and whenever my aupair takes in the delivery she is asked for ID. She uses her American passport and she is allowed to take in the alcohol. She hasn't been refused yet and I do a lot of Tesco online shopping and I order alcohol regularly.:D (She is 23 BTW but a young looking 23 obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

It has legal status as a valid form of ID for the purposes of travel between jurisdictions.

It does not have legal status as a form of ID for any other purpose. It has always been this way.

It has legal status to obtain an age card.

4. (1) The applicant shall present in person the official application form provided to him or her by the issuing body under paragraph (7) of Regulation 3 to a member of the Garda Síochána at the Garda Síochána station for the area in which the applicant normally resides, sign the form in the presence of the member and provide to the member—

(a) his or her
    (i) birth certificate,
    (ii) valid passport, or
    (iii) Garda National Immigration Bureau card,
    (b) at least one other document which confirms his or her identity, and
    (c) a recent passport size photograph of his or her head and shoulders.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2010/en/si/0652.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Everyone knows what an Irish passport looks like, or is supposed to look like. Any one with lap top, access to Photoshop & a decent printer could do themselves up a passport for The Peoples Republic of Durkadurkstan & who here could here could tell if it was the real thing or not? I think that this is more a common sense approach to stopping juveniles from buying booze with fake documents than it is out right discrimination against non nationals.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Everyone knows what an Irish passport looks like, or is supposed to look like. Any one with lap top, access to Photoshop & a decent printer could do themselves up a passport for The Peoples Republic of Durkadurkstan & who here could here could tell if it was the real thing or not? I think that this is more a common sense approach to stopping juveniles from buying booze with fake documents than it is out right discrimination against non nationals.

That's some trouble to go to just to buy drink.

The person selling drink does not have to show that they verified the document. (How do you verify an Irish passport btw?). Just that they have reasonable grounds to believe that the person was over 18.

There are plenty of fake Garda ID cards going around - should the shop assistant be held accountable for not "verifying" one? Would you be happy to wait in line whilst they call the Gardai for every alcohol transaction?

non-nationals? Did you mean foreign nationals since they have a passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

It's not illegal nor discrimination. You can't expect a local shop to accept I.D. issued somewhere else which they have no way of verifying. There's a good risk that someone could present ID claiming to be a passport from some obscure country that's totally fake.

It's nothing to do with nationality. It's to do with quality of ID. If you rocked up with your Irish driving licence you'd be refused too.

Honestly, the lengths some people go to searching for things to get offended about.

I don't think it's silly to be offended/annoyed at all. I think it's ridiculous to ask for only Irish passports. I don't have an Irish passport and I no longer live in Ireland. Do you think it's fine that when I go back to visit, I'm technically not allowed to buy alcohol? That's ridiculous. Would you be fine with coming to Spain on holiday and being told only Spanish nationals and residents are allowed to buy booze?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

what utter nonsence is going on in this thread!!
    Op sit down and calmly write a nicley worded email to dunnes head office
    explain to them you have always carried your passport as proof of id and were extremely put out by not being able to shop with convienience in thier store.
    The policy in dunnes is age card or passport only doesnt matter which country the passport comes from as someone rightly pointed out the could be a tourist or someone from oh lets say poland who lives here with oh lets say a polish driving licence or polish passport maybe.???
    Really some people should go to the hardware shop and buy a bottle of cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Hal Decks

antodeco wrote: »
    ......t's actually illegal to carry your passport around with you ............

Dumbest post of the week, surely?

Think how stupid the quoted statement is?

You have a passport but its illegal to carry it with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Staff in off licences and shops can loose their job, be fined up to 5k and get a criminal record for serving someone under age. The store can also be closed for up to 30 days. This is regularly checked by the guards sending in an underage person.

The reason for not accepting non irish passports is there is no way of verifying its genuine if from another country. It's not about discrimination.

Personally I'm not going to risk my job, a fine and the record just so someone can have their 6 cans of Dutch gold.

Is that not entrapment? (If there's a fake ID involved? Otherwise, if the cops just send in kids with no ID, it'd be no reason to refuse a non-Irish passport)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Pipmae wrote: »
    I use Tesco online and whenever my aupair takes in the delivery she is asked for ID. She uses her American passport and she is allowed to take in the alcohol. She hasn't been refused yet and I do a lot of Tesco online shopping and I order alcohol regularly.:D (She is 23 BTW but a young looking 23 obviously).
    I think I've seen this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Feathers wrote: »
    Is that not entrapment? (If there's a fake ID involved? Otherwise, if the cops just send in kids with no ID, it'd be no reason to refuse a non-Irish passport)
    Provision for Gardai to use people aged between 15 and 18 specifically for this purpose is included in the Intoxicating Liquor Act.

As pointed out earlier it doesn't matter what proof of age you have; they are under no obligation to serve you and it's not discrimination unless it can be proved that the op was refused purely on the basis of their nationality. A foreign passport is not grounds for discrimination.

Adyx wrote: »
    Provision for Gardai to use people aged between 15 and 18 specifically for this purpose is included in the Intoxicating Liquor Act.

As pointed out earlier it doesn't matter what proof of age you have; they are under no obligation to serve you and it's not discrimination unless it can be proved that the op was refused purely on the basis of their nationality. A foreign passport is not grounds for discrimination.

The point I was addressing was that someone mentioned licensees have to be wary as the cops run spot checks, and that this is a reason they mightn't take foreign passports. I wasn't saying they were being discriminated against.

Is there a provision in the act for the Gardaí to send in kids with fake IDs of different quality to see how well they stand up? There's surely a big difference between checking if a 17 year old is asked for an ID at all vs persuading a licensee that a fake ID is genuine, then prosecuting him.

Unless Gardaí are doing the second, spot checks wouldn't be a reason to refuse foreign passports.

It's worth noting that there has been something of a crackdown on this and off licences have been told that the only form of ID which can be presented in defence of selling alcohol to a minor are Garda Age Card or Irish passport.

That is, if a retailer is caught selling alcohol to an underager, unless they can say that they asked for an age card or an Irish passport, then they have no excuse. Previously it was less clear and claiming that you saw any form of ID could be used as a defence.

It's a huge change obviously from what we're used to. Gone are the days when simply being able to recite your incorrect birth date would be accepted by an off licence.

Would you have a link for this? The below is from the 2003 act, section 15:
    (2) For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section ‘age document’ means a document containing a photograph of the person in respect of whom it was issued and information that enables the age of the person to be determined and being one of the following documents relating to a person referred to in that subsection:

(a) an age card referred to in section 40 of this Act,

(b) a passport,

(c) an identity card issued by a member state of the European Communities,

(d) a driver licence, or

(e) a document issued by a body, and in a form, prescribed by regulations made by the Minister.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Some countries might not have as tight control over the issuing of passports as Ireland has.

like Israel?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

like Israel?
    Israel Has extremely tight controls over its passports so whats your troll I mean point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

The point I was addressing was that someone mentioned licensees have to be wary as the cops run spot checks, and that this is a reason they mightn't take foreign passports. I wasn't saying they were being discriminated against.

Is there a provision in the act for the Gardaí to send in kids with fake IDs of different quality to see how well they stand up? There's surely a big difference between checking if a 17 year old is asked for an ID at all vs persuading a licensee that a fake ID is genuine, then prosecuting him.

Unless Gardaí are doing the second, spot checks wouldn't be a reason to refuse foreign passports.
    I know you weren't saying it was discrimination, that part of my post wasn't aimed at you. I don't know if they use fake ids or just no ids, I was simply pointing out that they are allowed use kids to do the spot checks. I think I took the main point of your post up wrong though so apologies for that. At the end of the day it doesn't matter because they're not obliged to accept any passport, Irish or not, as proof of age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

MadsL wrote: »
    Are Zimbabwean passports inferior in some way to Irish ones?

You missed the point entirely. I was pointing out that EU passports surely have to be respected here, and I would understand suspicion cast on a 3rd world passport more so than on a passport with EU written all over it.

I could have said any 3rd world country but Zimbabwe came to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

antodeco wrote: »
    It's actually illegal to carry your passport around with you,
    Only if it has a blade or is sharply pointed. Standard-issue passports are perfectly legal.

It is a defence for licensees to have a reasonable belief that the ID is genuine. The Gardai do not go around with "different quality" of IDs, and it is not the retailers business to "verify" ID. The Gardai check if ID is asked for, and if not, prosecute the failure to either ask for ID or knowingly serve underage drinkers.
    RADIUS wrote: »
    You missed the point entirely. I was pointing out that EU passports surely have to be respected here, and I would understand suspicion cast on a 3rd world passport more so than on a passport with EU written all over it.

I could have said any 3rd world country but Zimbabwe came to mind.

So EU passports are more "respected" in your view. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

My Irish passport expired a couple of years ago and I'll be buggered before I pay €80 to have it renewed now that the new government has taken that benefit away from us senior citizens. Instead, I travel on a Finnish identity card, which I have presented innumerable times at Dublin Airport and the Garda immigration people have never even raised an eyebrow.

It is accepted in all EU Member States and several other countries as well. If it is good enough to get into the country, then it should be good enough for some silly little cow - who is probably barely literate - selling booze in Dunne's Stores.

http://www.infopankki.fi/File/6681e869-8d14-46b7-abfe-56e4928475e1/0/Henkil%C3%B6kortti.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,069 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's not illegal nor discrimination. You can't expect a local shop to accept I.D. issued somewhere else which they have no way of verifying. There's a good risk that someone could present ID claiming to be a passport from some obscure country that's totally fake.

It's nothing to do with nationality. It's to do with quality of ID. If you rocked up with your Irish driving licence you'd be refused too.

Honestly, the lengths some people go to searching for things to get offended about.

So, waht if you're a foreigner on holiday?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    My Irish passport expired a couple of years ago and I'll be buggered before I pay €80 to have it renewed now that the new government has taken that benefit away from us senior citizens. Instead, I travel on a Finnish identity card, which I have presented innumerable times at Dublin Airport and the Garda immigration people have never even raised an eyebrow.

It is accepted in all EU Member States and several other countries as well. If it is good enough to get into the country, then it should be good enough for some silly little cow - who is probably barely literate - selling booze in Dunne's Stores.

http://www.infopankki.fi/File/6681e869-8d14-46b7-abfe-56e4928475e1/0/Henkil%C3%B6kortti.jpg

Although, to be fair, I don't think you'd need it as ID for buying alcohol. :D

• Advertisement

Richard wrote: »
    Although, to be fair, I don't think you'd need it as ID for buying alcohol. :D

I wouldn't be suprised if in 10 years everyone gets asked for ID, as they do in the US to avoid giving offence :confused:

Here's me with a grey beard having to show ID. :mad:

Advertisement