Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need an IRISH passport to buy alcohol??

Options
  • 27-10-2012 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

so i have 2 passports, 1 irish 1 non-irish. i use the non-irish one as i.d since i rarely use it and wouldn't be a big deal to lose.

anyway, was in dunnes last night trying to buy some drink, and the lady behind the counter refused to accept my passport as valid i.d. she claimed they can only accept age cards or IRISH passports (by order of the gardai, no less).

im just curious as to how this could possibly be legal??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

She was a retard talking sh!te.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

Some countries might not have as tight control over the issuing of passports as Ireland has.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Maybe she thinks you can't handle the drink cuz ur not Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Think Tesco have a similar policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    so i have 2 passports, 1 irish 1 non-irish. i use the non-irish one as i.d since i rarely use it and wouldn't be a big deal to lose.

anyway, was in dunnes last night trying to buy some drink, and the lady behind the counter refused to accept my passport as valid i.d. she claimed they can only accept age cards or IRISH passports (by order of the gardai, no less).

That's discrimination as far as I can see.

• Advertisement

There's some places that won't even accept an Irish passport, only the Garda Age Card, so in theory they won't sell alcohol to non-residents.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Legally, passports are travel documents used for identification for travel purposes. It's actually illegal to carry your passport around with you, as it's property of the state. Most retailers only accept Age Cards because that is all they need to accept. After that, it's Drivers Licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

BrendaN_f wrote: »

Shops are under no obligation to serve you so I don't see why it would be illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

antodeco wrote: »
    It's actually illegal to carry your passport around with you, as it's property of the state.

Are you sure about that, because it sounds like BS? What law makes it illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladysarastro

Legally, passports are travel documents used for identification for travel purposes. It's actually illegal to carry your passport around with you, as it's property of the state. Most retailers only accept Age Cards because that is all they need to accept. After that, it's Drivers Licence.

Dunnes won't take drivers licence as they are issued from the age of 17 and too easily faked. Garda id and passport. She should of took your non irish passport though assuming it wasn't a crayon drawing of you saying "me = 18". Quitely call a manager and you would of been sorted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Passports have an international standard. She was a twat.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

RGDATA! wrote: »

Are you sure about that, because it sounds like BS? What law makes it illegal?

Trying tI find the law. I know I was told by a Garda before that if I needed my passport for ID purposes they would photocopy it and certify it to be genuine (signed and stamped) and that it could only be in black and white

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Some countries might not have as tight control over the issuing of passports as Ireland has.
    Has Ireland not had a couple of scandals regarding passports being sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

tuxy wrote: »
    Shops are under no obligation to serve you so I don't see why it would be illegal.

They are not obliged to serve anyone but to serve one person and not another based on their nationality is discrimination.

Trying tI find the law. I know I was told by a Garda before that if I needed my passport for ID purposes they would photocopy it and certify it to be genuine (signed and stamped) and that it could only be in black and white

Turns out some Gardai do have a sense of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Imagine being arrested for being in possession of a valid passport:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I was asked for id months ago in the offie and I got really bothered by it, ran home crying and everything, wrote the name of the place into my banned list and put the name of the person on my hate list, went through six boxes of tissues that night, told my mom about how upset I was and she told me it would be alright and she made me a cup of warm milk and read me a story, I had to wear my night time nappies to bed in case I had a toilet accident I was so annoyed by it. :mad:

I may not be 18 years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not illegal nor discrimination. You can't expect a local shop to accept I.D. issued somewhere else which they have no way of verifying. There's a good risk that someone could present ID claiming to be a passport from some obscure country that's totally fake.

It's nothing to do with nationality. It's to do with quality of ID. If you rocked up with your Irish driving licence you'd be refused too.

Honestly, the lengths some people go to searching for things to get offended about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Has Ireland not had a couple of scandals regarding passports being sold?

Ah not since the 1980's.

The government used to sell them to millionaires :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

. Most retailers only accept Age Cards because that is all they need to accept. After that, it's Drivers Licence.

Where in legislation does it say that this is the only form of ID that has to be accepted?

Sounds crap to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

I would understand if it was a passport from Zimbabwe or the like but if it was an EU passport surely it has legal status as a valid a form of photo ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

Staff in off licences and shops can loose their job, be fined up to 5k and get a criminal record for serving someone under age. The store can also be closed for up to 30 days. This is regularly checked by the guards sending in an underage person.

The reason for not accepting non irish passports is there is no way of verifying its genuine if from another country. It's not about discrimination.

Personally I'm not going to risk my job, a fine and the record just so someone can have their 6 cans of Dutch gold.

RADIUS wrote: »
    I would understand if it was a passport from Zimbabwe or the like but if it was an EU passport surely it has legal status as a valid a form of photo ID.
    It has legal status as a valid form of ID for the purposes of travel between jurisdictions.

It does not have legal status as a form of ID for any other purpose. It has always been this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

The only acceptable ID for the purchase of alchohol is Garda age card, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

sure my local tesco won't even take a passport only that age card

It's worth noting that there has been something of a crackdown on this and off licences have been told that the only form of ID which can be presented in defence of selling alcohol to a minor are Garda Age Card or Irish passport.

That is, if a retailer is caught selling alcohol to an underager, unless they can say that they asked for an age card or an Irish passport, then they have no excuse. Previously it was less clear and claiming that you saw any form of ID could be used as a defence.

It's a huge change obviously from what we're used to. Gone are the days when simply being able to recite your incorrect birth date would be accepted by an off licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

seamus wrote: »
    It's not illegal nor discrimination. You can't expect a local shop to accept I.D. issued somewhere else which they have no way of verifying. There's a good risk that someone could present ID claiming to be a passport from some obscure country that's totally fake.

It's nothing to do with nationality. It's to do with quality of ID. If you rocked up with your Irish driving licence you'd be refused too.

Honestly, the lengths some people go to searching for things to get offended about.

you clealry have a bone to pick, as no where in my post did i say or even imply that i was offended. and your average person has no idea how to verify a passport from any country, unless they've done some research

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Such as?

Passports are an international standard document.
    RADIUS wrote: »

Are Zimbabwean passports inferior in some way to Irish ones?
    It's worth noting that there has been something of a crackdown on this and off licences have been told that the only form of ID which can be presented in defence of selling alcohol to a minor are Garda Age Card or Irish passport.
    (4) In any proceedings against a person for a contravention of subsection (1) or (2) of this section, it shall be a defence for such person to prove that the person in respect of whom the charge is brought produced to him an age card relating to such person or that he had other reasonable grounds for believing that such person was over the age of 18 years, or, if the person is charged with permitting another person to sell or deliver intoxicating liquor contrary to the said subsection (1) or (2), to prove that an age card was produced by the person concerned to that other person or that that other person had other reasonable grounds for believing as aforesaid.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1988/en/act/pub/0016/sec0031.html#sec31

Has the law changed?
    That is, if a retailer is caught selling alcohol to an underager, unless they can say that they asked for an age card or an Irish passport, then they have no excuse. Previously it was less clear and claiming that you saw any form of ID could be used as a defence.

It's a huge change obviously from what we're used to. Gone are the days when simply being able to recite your incorrect birth date would be accepted by an off licence.

Again what law has changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

So can tourists not buy alcohol then?

Also, Age Cards appear to be fairly easily faked - or it seems easier to get one with incorrect (earlier) date of birth on it. I know of several people who have used an older sibling's birth cert to get one in their name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

This wasn't Dunnes in St.Stephen's Green,was it?

I went through some crap there trying to get drink a while back, and so have some of my friends.

Advertisement