Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Conrad Thompson's show Something to Wrestle With covered Wrestlemania 9 this week. Hilarious hearing Bruce Pritchard defend one of the poorest and oddest Manias.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Love something to wrestle with and how Bruce trys to defend stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 39,445 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

sky88 wrote: »
    Love something to wrestle with and how Bruce trys to defend stuff

Yeah but he does provide some unknown bits of info. Also best part is his impression of macho man and dusty Rhodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Took a while for Something to Wrestle With to grow on me, I liked Conrad from his show with Flair but I found Pritchard to be very grating, however now its become one of my favorite podcasts, just for the fascinating insight and the impressions are good too. Though I have to laugh when Pritchard says Meltzer makes up everything but goes onto to confirm the vast majority (75% as a ballpark figure) of what he reported as being true in every episode haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Took a while for Something to Wrestle With to grow on me, I liked Conrad from his show with Flair but I found Pritchard to be very grating, however now its become one of my favorite podcasts, just for the fascinating insight and the impressions are good too. Though I have to laugh when Pritchard says Meltzer makes up everything but goes onto to confirm the vast majority (75% as a ballpark figure) of what he reported as being true in every episode haha.

Its even funnier when you know Bruce was a confirmed Meltzer source for years. But Bruce is carny till the end and still trying to work the mizarks. But yea its a great podcast and Bruce giving the office side to everything is a unique listen and well worth the effort to check out. One thing I cant stand though is the ad reads and the awful way they introduce them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Conrad's one hell of a host, pushes guys to be straight but doesn't belabour it to the point of tedium. Manages to stop them from souring on him and getting defensive too. Seems to know an absolute ton too.
    Dude keeps Flair on topic too, a towering achievement in and of itself.

Prichard is annoying as all hell though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Lads what's the best app on android for listening to the likes of Austin jericho and Jr's podcasts

Lads what's the best app on android for listening to the likes of Austin jericho and Jr's podcasts

i use castbox for them never have a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Beyond Pod or Downcast are the best I've used.

I use Podcast Addict and find it to be pretty good.

• Advertisement

The Conrad Thompson/Pritchard show have really gone overboard with the ads on their latest show covering WrestleMania 15

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Prichard is annoying as all hell though.

It's hard to listen to a guy who says WWE's hyper inflated Wrestlemania attendances are authentic

Best wrestling podcast there is. The numbers speak for themselves. Most downloaded wrestling podcast on the web.

Great dynamic between Conrad and Bruce. Really funny but lots of insight too. If you go into it aware that one of your hosts is a lifelong Observer reader and the other was Vince's right hand man for 22 years, you'll know what you're getting. Conrad is always going to be sceptical and Bruce is always going to tow the party line.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,317 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Edge and Christian are starting a podcast now.
    Starting Mar.24 it's @EandCpod exploding in your ear holes! Subscribe now wherever you get these podcasts things

https://twitter.com/EdgeRatedR/status/840245314929995776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Monokne wrote: »
    [Something to Wrestle With] Best wrestling podcast there is. The numbers speak for themselves. Most downloaded wrestling podcast on the web.

This can't possibly be true! Jericho? Austin? Flair? Colt? LAW? WOR? Bruce Pritchard is nowhere near the name of those actual wrestlers and his show is still very young.

Austin's numbers were in the half million a week range at the peak, so said the Observer. And bear in mind that is a way past its peak in terms of popularity. STWW did 3.25 million downloads last 30 days. I can also tell you for a fact that Conrad & Ric never had anywhere close to these numbers, per Conrad himself.

The fact that Miller Lite has come on board as a sponsor and TNA felt compelled to hire Prichard based purely on their download figures speaks volumes. Beer sponsorships are much sought after in that world and no-one else has been able to nab one.

Bear in mind as well, by producing a podcast with 'evergreen' content, they benefit from I would guess are several hundred thousand downloads per month of past episodes. Conrad has designed the podcasts so they can go back and insert different advertising into the shows as well, which will only make them more attractive to advertisers.

You have to give them major kudos for growing their brand so fast. 'Brother Love & The Mortgage Guy', as they refer to themselves, are hardly the dynamic duo on paper, but with a terrific concept, great chemistry and absolutely shameless self promotion they have themselves a major hit.

C6C5JCTVAAAHIV0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Is there any proof of those numbers, they seem impossible.

The pic above.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Anyone listen to Raven's podcast? I was a fan of his as a wrestler but he comes across as a douchebag a lot of the times but most of his friends will probably admit that he is aswell he hasn't had any real major guests or any on the show yet but it's early days

Seems weird to me, a podcast by someone nobody outside of hardcore wrestling fans would have a clue who he was, getting 3 million plays about stuff that happened 30 years ago.

• Advertisement

Anyone listen to Raven's podcast? I was a fan of his as a wrestler but he comes across as a douchebag a lot of the times but most of his friends will probably admit that he is aswell he hasn't had any real major guests or any on the show yet but it's early days

He's always been a complete arse.

Seems weird to me, a podcast by someone nobody outside of hardcore wrestling fans would have a clue who he was, getting 3 million plays about stuff that happened 30 years ago.

Have you listened to show?

Yes, I've listened to the ones that are available on the site, yet it's amateur hour as far as getting to older episodes, as page 2 isn't even linked.

Kind of unfamiliar with all that so I'll take your word for it. I just use Beyond Pod or Downcast for podcasts. I didn't know you could still download podcasts the old way in 2017.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

If those numbers are correct it's really, really impressive. This is nothing to do with quality of the show, it just seems INCREDIBLY unlikely as neither are any kind of mass-appeal draw. Plus they're starting well after the podcast boom (when many ex-wrestlers, writers etc started.)

Yeah it's an incredible achievement. The show Flair did with Conrad was doing in the ballpark of 700k a week apparently. The growth of STWW has been phenomenal. And with Bruce now plugging it on UK, US, & Canadian TV every week, it could grow even bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I can see why its so popular. I started listening to this last month on spotify and am hooked. Great chemistry between conrad and bruce

It's also a guy who was in the inner circle with vince and people are fascinated with the inner workings of wwe. I can see totally why it's so popular

Some of the stories are great. A personal favourite is from the XFL episode:

Honda was advertising on XFL games. When the ratings tanked and Vince pulled the stunt with the 'camera in the locker room of the cheerleaders', they pulled out. Vince decided there was only one thing for it - he was going to BLOW UP A HONDA ACCORD IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD at half time of the following weekends broadcast on NBC. When Dick Ebersol, head of NBC & close friend and ally of Vince, saw this, he panicked. Honda advertised on a lot of NBC's sports programming and this could potentially jeopardise their relationship with Honda. So Vince was instructed not to do this and under no circumstances to start a public war with Honda.

The following weekend, a kicker missed a relatively easy kick and Jerry Lawler, with Vince feeding him in the headset, quipped "That guy's about as reliable as a Honda".

And yes, as the above posters state, that is essentially the appeal. It's basically a podcast about Vince McMahon. Prichard was super close with him for two decades so he gives you a great insight into Vince's thinking about all the great hits and horrendous misses the company had in that time, as well as some fantastic anecdotes.

They should be paying me for the shameless plugs :)

• Advertisement

It's a great show alright, but my God some of his impressions are terrible. His Jim Cornette sounds more like Jimmy Hart.

Advertisement