Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Can the SW ready meals be bought in Ireland?

Yes they're available exclusively in Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Just back from 2 weeks in America and somehow down half a pound.

Along with that, they told me that I'd won slimmer of the month for March! Turns out I'd lost 11lbs which I was thrilled about considering I hadn't once won slimmer of the week.

Woo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Down 3lbs this week. I did put in a very good week and am happy with the results. Going to try repeat my food diary next week and have another loss. Holidays have been set for July so ideally I'd love to be another stone down by then but I'm probably jinxing myself! The thoughts of wearing a swimsuit is keeping me awake at night but hopefully if I put my ass in gear I won't look as bad by then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Only gained 2.5lbs after a week of eating and drinking non stop. Very happy. I usually have big gains and big losses, so I'm thrilled the gain isn't big at all! Consultant said it's a brilliant result and she was very happy with me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Only gained 2.5lbs after a week of eating and drinking non stop. Very happy. I usually have big gains and big losses, so I'm thrilled the gain isn't big at all! Consultant said it's a brilliant result and she was very happy with me :)

Seriously?

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Seriously?

Yep. Typical day was:

Big fry for breakfast (sausages, bacon, hash browns, eggs, toast, tomato, mushroom, orange juice).

Dinner: garlic bread with cheese, full pizza (all food was in a restaurant btw).

In between: ice cream, some crisps, nuts.

Drinks: 4 sex on the beach or other cocktails daily, 4-5 pints of beer, a bottle of wine. all daily.

I DID walk an awful lot though.

Yep. Typical day was:

Big fry for breakfast (sausages, bacon, hash browns, eggs, toast, tomato, mushroom, orange juice).

Dinner: garlic bread with cheese, full pizza (all food was in a restaurant btw).

Drinks: 4 sex on the beach or other cocktails daily, 4-5 pints of beer, a bottle of wine. all daily.

Same happened me last year. Was down 3lbs after a week in Paris but did a crazy amount of walking. Still was up 2lbs the next week. And when I went to America I was down a pound but then the week later I was up 2lb. So with holidays I always seem to lose and then have a gain the next week.

Yep. Typical day was:

Ye but why were you praised for doing this by your counsellor? That's the part I'm confused about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Ye but why were you praised for doing this by your counsellor? That's the part I'm confused about.

I'd rather enjoy myself on holiday and take a gain than count calories, give over will ya :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Because given that I was totally off my plan for a full week, a 2.5lb gain isn't much, considering most in my group gain a lot more when they go on holidays.

I was given praise for doing 10km or more of walking each day, which most likely made the gain a lot less than it could have been.

also y'know, it's nice for the consultant to be nice and recognise small things like when you make sure to get your exercise in. But no, she's obviously a dope for helping me be happy I didn't gain more. :rolleyes: god forbid people have a week without stressing over food!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

also y'know, it's nice for the consultant to be nice and recognise small things like when you make sure to get your exercise in. But no, she's obviously a dope for helping me be happy I didn't gain more. :rolleyes: god forbid people have a week without stressing over food!

+1 I think some consultants prefer everyone to be martyrs!

:rolleyes: Because given that I was totally off my plan for a full week, a 2.5lb gain isn't much, considering most in my group gain a lot more when they go on holidays.

I was given praise for doing 10km or more of walking each day, which most likely made the gain a lot less than it could have been.

Well I didn't realise you were on holidays to be fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

2.5lb up after a holiday sounds like small change to me, someone in my original SW group gained 11.5lb after ten days in Orlando! I don't think I'll ever forget her poor face that night. Absolutely shellshocked.
    After posting a whinge about my overnight oats a few weeks ago I'm happy to report that I am sufficiently stuffed to the gills every other morning. Upped the fromage frais to 250g and added in much more fruit. Down 1lb two weeks in a row so inching closer to my new target. Best breakfast solution for me anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Bad day yesterday chinese, sweets, and just loads of extras.

Back on track today. i want to loose another 7lb to achieve my goal. I bought a new sweatshirt yestreday. I'm now a size m down from xxl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ThatGeekGirl

Back on track today. i want to loose another 7lb to achieve my goal. I bought a new sweatshirt yestreday. I'm now a size m down from xxl.

The main thing is that you are back on track today :) When I used to attend a class awhile back, I was always asked after a splurge or bad day/week if I enjoyed it. Our leader had the mentality that life is too short to beat yourself up and become a martyr to the cause of loosing weight. If you have a bad day, so what! Enjoy it and then draw the line, get back on track and move on with no shame because it was the shame that would make you fall back off track and for longer. You just refocus and work towards your goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

It's a great feeling! Congrats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Hi guys, I'm starting back on SW today, I did it for a while last year but was doing for holidays etc so sort of gave up afterwards! Anyways, back to square 1.....can't really afford the meetings and to be honest I can't bear them anyways, I have all my books and bits from last year so feel confident that I know what I'm doing!

So 2 questions, can someone tell me the recipe for the super speed soup please?

And can I ask you what dort of exercise you all do? Usually I will up my walking to about 5/6 miles per day (as opposed to a 2/3 mile meander with the dogs), did I read somewhere on here that exercise can impede your weight loss??!

Thanks guys :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

There does seem to be a belief with SW that exercise slows down your weight loss. From what I can gather it seems to be just as you start - and I also think if pretty extensive exercise.
    I do attend a class and our leader says that getting out for a walk is good for your head-space and that you're more likely to eat something healthy when you come back in. She says weight loss is 80% food and 20% exercise.
    I have attended all kinds of groups over the years and would always have walked a lot. For various reason I'm not doing it this time and I am losing weight as steadily as any other time. I do intend to get back to regular walking as I think it gives you a bit of toning.

I haven't ever made the speed soup so can't help you there!

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm starting back on SW today, I did it for a while last year but was doing for holidays etc so sort of gave up afterwards! Anyways, back to square 1.....can't really afford the meetings and to be honest I can't bear them anyways, I have all my books and bits from last year so feel confident that I know what I'm doing!

So 2 questions, can someone tell me the recipe for the super speed soup please?

And can I ask you what dort of exercise you all do? Usually I will up my walking to about 5/6 miles per day (as opposed to a 2/3 mile meander with the dogs), did I read somewhere on here that exercise can impede your weight loss??!

Thanks guys :-)

WTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Totoro88

I'd imagine the exercise slowing down weight loss is because of muscle gain. Muscle weighs more than fat.

• Advertisement

Totoro88 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the exercise slowing down weight loss is because of muscle gain. Muscle weighs more than fat.

Unless they are doing a lot of strenuous exercises targeting muscle groups it's unlikely they will be gaining much muscle weight.

Let's give the benefit of doubt here I suppose :D God help us otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Totoro88

honreal wrote: »
    Unless they are doing a lot of strenuous exercises targeting muscle groups it's unlikely they will be gaining much muscle weight.

Let's give the benefit of doubt here I suppose :D God help us otherwise

No idea how it could prevent you from losing weight then.

Totoro88 wrote: »
    No idea how it could prevent you from losing weight then.

It wouldn't. If your doing enough exercise to build muscle then you can bet your other half your losing weight at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I think the Slimming World thing is that exercise doesn't boost your weight loss at first and some people see their losses slow down if they suddenly start strenuous exercise (starting from 0), probably because of muscle inflammation and stuff that can occur when you're not used to it, but of course in the long term exercise will help with the weight loss and keep it off longer term, as well as boosting your health and fitness!
    The Slimming World official line on it is that the plan works without exercise, but if you're able for exercise any bit at all is a bonus...

[QUOTE=dee_mc;99437841]I think the Slimming World thing is that exercise doesn't boost your weight loss at first and some people see their losses slow down if they suddenly start strenuous exercise (starting from 0), probably because of muscle inflammation and stuff that can occur when you're not used to it, but of course in the long term exercise will help with the weight loss and keep it off longer term, as well as boosting your health and fitness!
    The Slimming World official line on it is that the plan works without exercise, but if you're able for exercise any bit at all is a bonus...[/QUOTE]

How anyone can follow a program that doesn't promote exercise along with a healthy diet is beyond me. I only came in here to get an idea of this Slimming world phase I hear so much about but I think I have read enough. I don't want to offend anyone but it all seems a bit strange. best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

How anyone can follow a program that doesn't promote exercise along with a healthy diet is beyond me. I only came in here to get an idea of this Slimming world phase I hear so much about but I think I have read enough. I don't want to offend anyone but it all seems a bit strange. best of luck with it.

Slimming World does promote exercise along with healthy diet. They also point out that for those who can't exercise, weight loss is still possible.
    Part of the plan is Body Magic, which are basically fitness challenges designed to boost your fitness levels and get you into the habit of regular exercise.

And just re Slimming World being a phase, it's a long old phase now since 1969!

dee_mc wrote: »
    Slimming World does promote exercise along with healthy diet. They also point out that for those who can't exercise, weight loss is still possible.
    Part of the plan is Body Magic, which are basically fitness challenges designed to boost your fitness levels and get you into the habit of regular exercise.

And just re Slimming World being a phase, it's a long old phase now since 1969!

Just cause something has been around a long time doesnt mean people dont do it in phases. You just have to look on instagram to see this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

They do promote exercise, where are you getting that from?? :confused:

It certainly is not a phase, it's a complete way of eating healthy and nutritious food and cooking from scratch and eating plenty of veg/fruit with your meals.

Do you know anything about the slimming world plan? Most people that come in here to insult it, don't actually know anything about it. So i suggest you get more information on it before posting about how it's a phase etc. You couldn't be further from the truth.

Just cause something has been around a long time doesnt mean people dont do it in phases. You just have to look on instagram to see this

This is what drives me f**king insane. People who come on a slimming world thread to bash it. Have you read this thread? Can you not see that the however many people that regularly post in this thread have had results? I won't be a hypocrite here. I'll admit that I've had a crap few months with small gains here and there since I started a pretty intensive amount of exercise. Many of the regular posters will know me and the moans I've had about it. But now I'm back to having steady losses and am thrilled with that. What a weighing scales can't show is losing inches. I'm down almost 2 dress sizes since the New year when I started exercising. Slimming world say it's 80% food 20% exercise and I can firmly say that this has been the case for me. I lost 4 stone with changing the food I ate. I've lost half a stone since I started exercising. Slimming world has changed my attitude to food and eating. The cliche of it isn't a diet it's a lifestyle change makes my skin crawl, but it's 100% true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Actually, most diet plans, while advocating exercise, do manage to work even if minimal exercise is done. The reason being, it takes a huge amount of exercise to undo the damage that a bad diet does. For example, you’d have to run about 6 miles to work off the calories in a muffin. Most people who are eating badly could polish off a muffin without even thinking about it. It’s generally accepted that to lose weight it 90% diet and 10% exercise. Exercise is fantastic for toning up and for general well being, but if your priority is weight loss, then a healthy diet is most important.

For those that have followed SW for years and had huge success and even for those of us who are new comers and enjoying the new lease of life they have, it’s pretty insulting to come in and call it ‘strange’ or ‘a phase’ without really understanding it. If you strip away the words like Hex A, Hex B, syns, free food etc, SW at it’s heart is a low fat diet with an emphasis on home cooking with lots of fruit and veg. They encourage the odd treat as it’s about sustainable lifestyle changes, not crash dieting. There’s really nothing ‘strange’ about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement