Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weirdest place you've met a fellow Paddy?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Doubs wrote: »
    Cheekey monkeys by any chance? :) Brilliant bar (not Irish!)
    Bang on - "interesting" place to say the least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Jesus Christ. This is a me too thread. Yes, we've all travelled. I've met Irish peolple everywhere I've been. EVERYWHERe. Unless you've been to antarctica or the moon and met a local its not particularly interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

Not the weirdest place per say as there are a gazillion Paddy's in Sydney BUT..
    NYE '03 I was invited to a kickas* private party in a very swanky hotel right on Circular Quay overlooking the harbour.

For 12AM we went up to this incredible observation deck - no kidding - it was clearly the spot where the elite press take their photos as the view was out of this world - you couldn't get a better vantage point to see the fireworks. There were only a select few hotel guests on this level and we felt so blessed to be there.

Anyway, so we're there drunkenly jumping about the place screaming Happy New Year etc, and this voice out of nowhere says behind my back: "Happy NY ---- *insert my full name here*"

I turned around - and had no iota who the heck this person was... I asked how he knew my name and he said:

"You used to work in the Ballinteer House (12+ years prior) and I used to fancy the pants off you"

I was gobsmacked.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

In a small bar in Hermanus, South Africa. It's a real one horse town right at the bottom of the country and only two bars were open, so we went into the one that sounded lively and promptly met a bunch of Irish girls. Odder still was that one of them was an old friend from college. We ran into them three more times in various other towns and cities on that trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Running away from a creepy Australian in Prague. Hopped on the first train I saw, and asked some guy if it was going to the city centre. Turned out he was from Ballybricken, a small townland in Waterford City. Me too.

Bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

interesting article on irish people and our heritage in general - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_diaspora

80m people around the world who can claim to be of irish desent, it's crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭portomar

What's the weirdest, most-unexpected, most-unlikely place you've encountered a fellow Paddy?

Mine has to be at a remote station in the Antarctica.
    The place was full of European, research scientist types and eh me.

I was in the internet room late one night, there was only one other person in the room.
    I regret to say that I was after a rather large meal and I eh, dropped one.
    The other bloke in the room turned around to me and goes
    "ya bleedin dirt bird"....

Couldn't believe it.
    He introduced himself as Joe from Ballyfermot...

i reject the entire premis (sic?) of this thread out of hand. unless its an antartic research station, nowhere will it be suprising to meet a paddy. even one you know. thats the irish condition if there is one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

portomar wrote: »
    i reject the entire premis (sic?) of this thread out of hand. unless its an antartic research station, nowhere will it be suprising to meet a paddy. even one you know. thats the irish condition if there is one.

Why bother posting such a negative comment?

I for one have enjoyed reading alot of the posts in this thread.
    Particularly the ones where people who have bumped into people from 'down the road', while travelling in the back of beyonds.

If you find the thread pointless, then fair enough, but why bother posting in it?
    This place is full of pointless threads, threads don't have to have a point in order to be entertaining and then perhaps, if a thread entertains only one person then does that not give the thread a point?

Advertisement