Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

KNN out doing Saturday FTTH installs in Manor Kilbride today. Lad out digging a trench in his front garden in anticipation (they were with the neighbour).

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

ED E wrote: »
    KNN out doing Saturday FTTH installs in Manor Kilbride today. Lad out digging a trench in his front garden in anticipation (they were with the neighbour).

KN have consequently been doing Saturday installs lately, nationwide. You can't book them (unless premium), but they ring people and try to pull their installs forward if they can. That way they free up more time in the schedule the week after.

They tend to pick the easy ones, because it's near impossible to get 2 man teams, hoist and/or traffic controllers on the weekend.

We've had a few fiber installs completed today nearly a week ahead of schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

My house is now included on the Fibre Rollout map in the green area, however no cabinet is listed nearby. Could someone explain to me what that means?

Also is there a map of cabinets?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if a house is on a yellow line road on the map, but not marked with one of the green or blue house symbols, why not?

Looking at a friend's place, there are houses marked on either side (some are green) but their house is not marked, along with some others on the road. None of them are particularly far from the road either. They've been told by Eir they're on the wrong exchange to get fibre, but that's presumably their copper line, which shouldn't matter if the fibre is passing their door.

KN have consequently been doing Saturday installs lately, nationwide. You can't book them (unless premium), but they ring people and try to pull their installs forward if they can. That way they free up more time in the schedule the week after.

They tend to pick the easy ones, because it's near impossible to get 2 man teams, hoist and/or traffic controllers on the weekend.

We've had a few fiber installs completed today nearly a week ahead of schedule.

Saturdays have been around since the first NGA stuff (FTTC), always like golddust.

KNN FLMs will push things up but thats not always a good thing - when OSS isn't prepared for an install but it gets done one ends up with a nice little red light and a very angry customer :pac:
    loyatemu wrote: »
    if a house is on a yellow line road on the map, but not marked with one of the green or blue house symbols, why not?

Looking at a friend's place, there are houses marked on either side (some are green) but their house is not marked, along with some others on the road. None of them are particularly far from the road either. They've been told by Eir they're on the wrong exchange to get fibre, but that's presumably their copper line, which shouldn't matter if the fibre is passing their door.

For the purposes of the prequalling process it might. Prior to FTTH nobody moved exchange. Are they currently served with decent FTTC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ED E wrote: »
    For the purposes of the prequalling process it might. Prior to FTTH nobody moved exchange. Are they currently served with decent FTTC?

definitely not - they're in the countryside. According to the NBP map they're in the extra 300K homes area that Eir are doing, and Eir's map confirms that, but doesn't show their specific house (looking at other bits of the map, this is quite common - you might have a group of 10 houses along a road and only 8 of them are marked).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

definitely not - they're in the countryside. According to the NBP map they're in the extra 300K homes area that Eir are doing, and Eir's map confirms that, but doesn't show their specific house (looking at other bits of the map, this is quite common - you might have a group of 10 houses along a road and only 8 of them are marked).

If you are positive that the cable is passing their home you could get them to contact Openeir on fibrepower@openeir.ie

Get them to include as much detail as possible, Eircodes of premises on both sides that are green, perhaps screenshots of the map showing their home and neighbours. Ask for their home to be added to the APQ file that is sent to all retail ISPs. Otherwise they will not be able to order.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Sorry if I'm being thick here, but is there any way to check if a house in an urban area is covered by FTTH without an active phone line?

Seems to be no issues doing so for rural houses.

OE website (NGA map)
    http://www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/
    Yellow routes are shown most places - very little exists in urban areas

Eir website:
    https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

Sandyford would be one area with urban FTTH, but Im not sure which streets to give eircode examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Premium appointments, as mentioned by Airwire: MartinL above, has been added to open-eir's latest proposed revision to the NGA IPM.

http://www.openeir.ie/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=5178 (page 40)

A new Section 5.2 adds premium appointments and will allow operators to select a provisioning appointment on a Saturday (9:00 to 17:00) or an evening (17:00 to 20:00 workdays) via the UG if they have opted in. According to the document expected to be supported from May. Evening appointments are seasonal and will only be available between April and September.

There will be a charge for the premium appointment, €15 or missed appointment €30(?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The Cush wrote: »
    There will be a charge for the premium appointment, €15 or missed appointment €30(?).

There is/was always a charge for missed appointments. Even normal ones.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Marlow wrote: »
    There is/was always a charge for missed appointments. Even normal ones.

Didn't say otherwise, only that it will apply to these new premium appointments also.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

If my house has a green house symbol, as do the other houses in my estate, but no other houses for miles, nor any yellow lines on the map, is that just an error.....? Eir website shows 1000Mb availability, just don’t believe it........and worried if I order something I’ll get stuck with Eir

ctlsleh wrote: »
    If my house has a green house symbol, as do the other houses in my estate, but no other houses for miles, nor any yellow lines on the map, is that just an error.....?

Sounds like an error if there are no yellow lines but have you tried your Eircode here just in case it's not?

edit: Also check here to confirm:

https://www.digiweb.ie/broadband-checker/

Sounds like an error if there are no yellow lines but have you tried your Eircode here just in case it's not?

Yea........shows as gigabit service being available......might call them and ask them

Yea........shows as gigabit service being available......might call them and ask them

Try the Digiweb checker:

https://www.digiweb.ie/broadband-checker/

Same, shows as available........I’ll call someone, I don’t believe it, has to be an error on the database

They have several thousand premises passed in urban areas that have nothing to do with the yellow lines so if you are in an urban area this could be one possible explanation.

They have several thousand premises passed in urban areas that have nothing to do with the yellow lines so if you are in an urban area this could be one possible explanation.

I’m 1 Km from an FTTC cabinet+remote exchange none of the houses in between nor anywhere around the cab are showing as FTTH enabled so it just doesn’t make sense

I’m 1 Km from an FTTC cabinet+remote exchange none of the houses in between nor anywhere around the cab are showing as FTTH enabled so it just doesn’t make sense

I think I know where you are, outside Ennis right? If you check your estate on the NBP map are all the homes in the estate amber dots surrounded by blue? If so these homes such as these were passed to eir to be included in the rollout so it is quite possible that they have completed your estate. Other homes closer to the cab can get over 30Mb so they don't care about them.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

• Advertisement

I think I know where you are, outside Ennis right? If you check your estate on the NBP map are all the homes in the estate amber dots surrounded by blue? If so these homes such as these were passed to eir to be included in the rollout so it is quite possible that they have completed your estate. Other homes closer to the cab can get over 30Mb so they don't care about them.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

Yes, spot on......haven’t seen any activity to warrant it though, nor any homes further away again

Yes, spot on......haven’t seen any activity to warrant it though, nor any homes further away again

Just had a look there on Street View and it all seems underground so it's possible they could have done the work over a day or two and you may not have noticed. You could order from another provider if you are worried about eir incompetence. Make it clear that all you will accept is a FTTH connection

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

There is at least one estate in Ennis, where we've seen VDSL, FTTH and SIRO being available.

So don't doubt it, it's more than likely correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

These have started appearing on my road (nearest one is 130 yards from my house). Anyone know which provider it might be?
    I've historically been just too far from the nearest fibre exchange (my premise is currently outside of a commercial deployment apparently by .5 km).

If these are being laid this near to my house, could it be I could finally get fibre?

smokingman wrote: »
    These have started appearing on my road (nearest one is 130 yards from my house). Anyone know which provider it might be?
    I've historically been just too far from the nearest fibre exchange (my premise is currently outside of a commercial deployment apparently by .5 km).

If these are being laid this near to my house, could it be I could finally get fibre?

If you look at the writing on the duct it says Aurora Fibre. I guess it is probably Aurora Telecom. They are a backhaul provider who would provide capacity to ISPs so not something you as a consumer would connect to directly. I doubt eir would be using them either so I'm unsure why they are in your area.

Edit:
    I see they have a new line in development. Are you located along the new route (purple dotted line)?

Map

If you look at the writing on the duct it says Aurora Fibre. I guess it is probably Aurora Telecom. They are a backhaul provider who would provide capacity to ISPs so not something you as a consumer would connect to directly. I doubt eir would be using them either so I'm unsure why they are in your area.

Edit:
    I see they have a new line in development. Are you located along the new route (purple dotted line)?

Map

I'm on the dotted line alright. Never heard of these guys...are they in providing anything to the NBP?

I'm on the dotted line alright. Never heard of these guys...are they in providing anything to the NBP?

No. It's all connectivity for ISPs and large organisations. Unfortunately it probably won't make much difference to you that this fibre is passing close to your home.

Cheers for the info Navi, much appreciated.
    Looks like I'm stuck with imagine for a bit longer so. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Edit:

Aurora is the communications company under Bord Gais, similar to ESB Telecoms being under ESB Networks. They only deal with Carriers, Telcos and ISPs.

The dotted line to Kilalla is in preparation for the Jomfrue (Mermaid) Submarine Fiber from the US to Denmark, which will have a spur into Ireland and will be using Aurora for the irish overland section.

The bulk of that fiber is funded by Google and Facebook.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Marlow wrote: »
    The dotted line to Kilalla is in preparation for the Jomfrue (Mermaid) Submarine Fiber from the US to Denmark...

"Havfrue", maybe? Need to work on your Danish, dude... :pac:

Advertisement